100 lb. Club - What was your worst compliment??

View Full Version : What was your worst compliment??

time2lose
09-07-2010, 09:28 PM
This weekend I saw a bunch of people that I have not seen in a year. My weight loss was a big topic of conversation. I have to admit, for the most part, I loved the compliments. However.......... there were some awkward ones. I thought that it might be fun to have a thread of awkward and down right bad compliments.

The winner of my worst compliment award................

"Boy, you have lost a TON of weight!" My response, "Well, not quite a TON!" :)

What was your worse compliment?

TJFitnessDiva
09-07-2010, 09:53 PM
my worst compliment was "You look a he** of a lot better than you used to!"

Ugh.

althepirate
09-07-2010, 10:04 PM
Mine was, "You're looking so good, sweetie! I'm so glad you're not dressing in that crap that you're used to."

mandalinn82
09-07-2010, 10:12 PM
"Wow, you look good. How long do you think you'll last before you gain it back?"

dudesmom
09-07-2010, 10:15 PM
I tried on a dress recently that I bought at the start of my journey. It was pretty much like a sausage casing at first, and now it fits WAAAY better. Anyway, I put it on yesterday and I asked my husband if it looked okay for me to wear in public now. To which he replies "Yeah, I can see a HUGE difference." I know he meant it in a good way, but it just sounded wrong! :)

saef
09-07-2010, 10:17 PM
Mine isn't a jaw-dropping one-liner.

It's people who compliment me, and then, later in our conversation, disparage fat people, such as coworkers who "got fat" or "are now even fatter."

I always wince inwardly & die a little. Probably I should challenge them or make a little speech, but I say nothing. Not a word. But my sympathies are all with the people they're disparaging. It's like it's now okay to hurl slurs against overweight people in front of me, because I overcame the sin of sloth & converted to thin-ism.

But it's not. I hate it.

calluna
09-07-2010, 10:29 PM
"You don't take up as much of the bed as you used to."

ncuneo
09-07-2010, 10:30 PM
"you're wasting away"

LacieRene
09-07-2010, 10:43 PM
My Grandma told me she was proud of me and she was so thankful I finally decided to lose weight and am not so "horribly fat" anymore. Then she went on to make sure I know how "disgusting" I used to look and that I look so much better now that I "finally have a neck". Yeah.

doingmybest
09-07-2010, 11:20 PM
The very worst compliment was one I gave myself recently after losing 17 lbs.- I told my husband "well now, maybe I look a little less grotesque".

What's up with talking to myself like that????? :dunno: I really had to talk to me about not doing that to me!!!! Just realizing that the thought came into my head made me think twice about bad self talk. Then I gave myself a hug. :hug:

If any member of 3FCs had said that about themselves, I would have posted some words of encouragement. I decided to do that for myself.

I don't care as much about what others say to me - but I sure care about what I say to me!

Trazey34
09-07-2010, 11:44 PM
At my book club, another woman has lost about 50 lbs., and someone said to her how great her body was looking...and as soon as she was out of the room she said "funny i thought she had a pretty face when she was fat, but now that i can really see it - not so much" WOW.

Naturally I had to say "you realize you said that OUT LOUD right???" heh i can't even stop myelf ;)

The worst thing I've heard about myself was "you must be so happy to be slim now....MAYBE YOU'LL GET TO KEEP THAT HANDSOME HUSBAND OF YOURS" OMFG (again, couldn't stop myself, "well what's your excuse Miriam?? you're slim-ish and you have no husband at all" MEOW lol)

Windchime
09-07-2010, 11:49 PM
LOL, Trazey, I've always thought that you would be awesome to hang around with because of your honesty and sense of humor! :)

Shifterred
09-07-2010, 11:55 PM
At my book club, another woman has lost about 50 lbs., and someone said to her how great her body was looking...and as soon as she was out of the room she said "funny i thought she had a pretty face when she was fat, but now that i can really see it - not so much" WOW.

Naturally I had to say "you realize you said that OUT LOUD right???" heh i can't even stop myelf ;)

The worst thing I've heard about myself was "you must be so happy to be slim now....MAYBE YOU'LL GET TO KEEP THAT HANDSOME HUSBAND OF YOURS" OMFG (again, couldn't stop myself, "well what's your excuse Miriam?? you're slim-ish and you have no husband at all" MEOW lol)

Wow, woman! I'd give half of my shiny soul to be as amazingly confident as you are. I may THINK things like that all the time, but the mere thought of actually stepping out and standing up like that makes me quake in fear! Go you, girl! :carrot:

--

Also, I don't think I've really had any "bad" compliments. Of course, I've been off the wagon for about three months now. So I haven't actually heard any compliments at all. Lol.

RobinD
09-08-2010, 12:03 AM
"You are looking less bovine these days." From my younger brother.

althepirate
09-08-2010, 12:04 AM

LMAO. Win!

GonnaTurnHeads
09-08-2010, 01:17 AM
I haven't gotten any compliment/insults like that before, but I had a client tell me once - completely out of the blue - "Don't let anyone ever tell you that you should lose weight. A good man like a big woman like you, just perfect!" ... um, thanks?

Jessica88
09-08-2010, 01:23 AM
I have had some friends call me a "skinny b****" and proceed to tell me to eat more while we were out at a restaurant.

Also, I have been told "you need to stop losing weight you're getting too skinny" and then she pinched my arm.

Rosinante
09-08-2010, 02:09 AM
Last time:
at 50lbs gone: Black is so slimming.
at 106lbs gone: Have you finished your chemotherapy?

This time:
59lbs gone: nada, zip.

shannonmb
09-08-2010, 06:35 AM
"You are looking less bovine these days." From my younger brother.

ROFL! I hope you gave that little s&^t a kick in the backside!

time2lose
09-08-2010, 09:30 AM
Trazey,
I wish you could give me comeback lessons!

Boy, these are terrible compliments. Some people definitely have foot in mouth disease. :)

Trazey34
09-08-2010, 07:46 PM
lol @time2lose, anytime!! come hang out with me in canada! The trick is to have an animated face and a funny/sarcastic tone so you don't seem like a ragin b!tch but get the point across LOL

duckyyellowfeet
09-08-2010, 08:00 PM
I was talking about being upset that my weight was so high. And my SO went "Babe, its ok. Its not like I'm dating you for your hot body."

I was a little taken aback and she went on to babble about how she loves me no matter what weight I am and that what she meant was that I was so smart...which wasn't really much better. Granted, I knew what she really meant, but goodness, that stung.

dcapulet
09-08-2010, 09:05 PM
"you're not as fat as you used to be"

Angie
09-08-2010, 09:33 PM
From a direct report at work: "Your *** isn't half as big as it used to be!"

ANewCreation
09-08-2010, 10:23 PM
I don't get too many back handed compliments but I have had a couple. My favorite: You don't look as fat in that bathing suit. My comeback: Ummm, you do realize that is NOT a compliment, right? Confused look from friend. My response: A compliment would be something like "You look slimmer in your bathing suit. Anytime you use the word 'fat' you are not complimenting someone." Again, a confused look from friend. In the end, we agreed to disagree. LOL!

I saw a friend several months ago and when she walked in she said " Ooooh, NOW you look pretty." Wow. That one left me speechless. I am so grateful that there was another friend in the room so I could take up with some busy work and let it go. Really, that left me speechless. This friend is not mean spirited at all, maybe I just took it the wrong way but it hurt.

And another favorite is the one friend who said to me before leaving "Keep getting smaller". Okay, I get it. Still not small enough. Leave me alone. The look I gave her spoke volumes apparently because before I got a chance to say anything she corrected herself and said, "Keep getting healthier". Yeah, okay.

That's all I can think of, so not bad in my book.

ubergirl
09-08-2010, 10:28 PM
Mine was, you're DH must be happy-- he got a whole new wife....

guamvixen
09-10-2010, 12:23 PM
Mine is always the same, people ask "How did YOU do it?" In such a tone that makes me believe that they really want to know how someone LIKE ME did it. And then they expect some far out answer like "magic" or "smurf juice" in response.

BlueFlower
09-10-2010, 12:50 PM
I had a very casual friend ask me if I could get her come coke, too :yikes:

Uh... :faint:

milmin2043
09-10-2010, 01:02 PM
Unfortunately, this is my second journey with weight loss. I lost almost 100 lbs. one other time in my life. I had not seen my mother or my sister in over a year. My sister looked at me and said "stop losing, you are getting way too skinny", my Mom then chimed in "no way is she getting too skinny, look at all the extra fat still on her butt and belly." OUCH.

Hard to imagine that I have any emotional eating problems growing up with my Mom, huh? I absolutely will not talk to anything weight related with her because of her attitude. She has always been thin, and to be fair, always worked at it, but she has an awful attitude toward overweight people. You can't imagine.

DaughterOfVenus
09-10-2010, 02:30 PM
"I'm so glad you're finally getting healthy. I can really see a difference in you. My god, when you used to eat like a lumberjack, I would just be like *makes disgusted face*."

Gotta love my grandmother. My ex-fat grandmother who weighed 290 pounds, is barely five feet tall, got a gastric bypass, and suddenly felt superior to fat people.

So you know what? I took these vintage sundresses she bought in Honolulu in the fifties, the ones she got into at her tiniest (She's way too big for them now) and got them dry cleaned and they're hanging in my closet in garment bags.

She kind of laughed when I said I'm getting pinup photos taken at goal, but what she doesn't realize is that I'm getting them taken in those dresses. HA BURN! (Actually only one of the dresses is hers. It's probably going to be too big for me at goal, I'll probably take the pinup photos in her mother's hawaain sundresses from the 40's.)

katkitten
09-10-2010, 09:20 PM
Wow! your grandma is somethin else!

I dont get a lot of backhanded compliments but was told that I no longer "got back" since I lost the weight. Another woman told me I seem to be "melting before [her] eyes". thanks?

dolcevita
09-10-2010, 09:37 PM
Mine is always the same, people ask "How did YOU do it?" In such a tone that makes me believe that they really want to know how someone LIKE ME did it. And then they expect some far out answer like "magic" or "smurf juice" in response.

smurf juice! LOVE it! ;)

KimL1214
09-10-2010, 09:51 PM
You have a cute face, but you would be so pretty if you lost more weight.

~Compliments of my dad

DaughterOfVenus
09-10-2010, 11:10 PM
Here's another winner.

"Wow, your saddlebags are getting so much smaller!"

Gee, thanks.

toobig
09-11-2010, 06:58 AM
My aunt said " You look so pretty since you started losing weight!"

As opposed to....?
People are so weired!!!

time2lose
09-11-2010, 12:07 PM
I just keep thinking how people have foot in mouth disease. I think that most people mean well but just end up saying the wrong thing!

saram
09-11-2010, 12:58 PM
I got "Wow! You are getting thin...er...thinner is what I meant to say." I would have been happy with thin. Do they not think that I know that I am fat?! LOL I do have eyes and a mirror!!

Meg
09-11-2010, 01:27 PM
From a fellow 3FC member, upon seeing my "after" photo:

Congrats,,, I am not of fan of Plastic surgery and not sure i would go as far as you did...but you look nice :)

I hadn't had any plastic surgery in the photo. :dizzy: