South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 09-07-2010, 11:38 AM   #1  

Default Questions about starting on Phase 2

Oops...Sorry, I posted this in the wrong spot so I'm reposting here...

Yippe!!! I made it through Phase 1 and I start Phase 2 tomorrow. I've read all the stickies, but I still have a couple of questions:

-I know that I'm suppose to introduce carbs back into my diet slowly...one a week. Does this "one a week" rule apply to the rest of the food that are now available on Phase 2? (i.e. carrots, peas, hot dogs, etc)

-Once I've added my "one a week" carb back into my diet and I've made it a whole week without any adverse reactions, do I then take that one out and add a different one in to see how I react or do I keep it in and add another carb on top of that? (for example, if I add an apple in this week and I do ok, do I then take the apple out and add in ww bread or do I leave the apple in my diet and also add ww bread)

-Does the carb I add back in have to be eaten all at once? For example, I'm adding an apple in tomorrow. Can I eat half for a snack mid-morning and the other half in the afternoon? Or is it better to eat it all at once?

Thanks everyone!
Onsecondthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:20 PM   #2  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

This helped me.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/sbd-...phase-2-a.html
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:41 AM   #3  

Thanks, but I've read all the notes and they didn't really answer my questions.
Onsecondthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:15 PM   #4  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onsecondthought View Post
-I know that I'm suppose to introduce carbs back into my diet slowly...one a week. Does this "one a week" rule apply to the rest of the food that are now available on Phase 2? (i.e. carrots, peas, hot dogs, etc)

-Once I've added my "one a week" carb back into my diet and I've made it a whole week without any adverse reactions, do I then take that one out and add a different one in to see how I react or do I keep it in and add another carb on top of that? (for example, if I add an apple in this week and I do ok, do I then take the apple out and add in ww bread or do I leave the apple in my diet and also add ww bread)

-Does the carb I add back in have to be eaten all at once? For example, I'm adding an apple in tomorrow. Can I eat half for a snack mid-morning and the other half in the afternoon? Or is it better to eat it all at once?

Thanks everyone!
Hi - I'm surprised no one else tackled this question. I personally think this process is all a bit trial-and-error...

I don't have a copy of any of the books any more to check and see if that is addressed at all (I assume it wasn't really or you wouldn't be asking...). But here's how I would approach it - and am planning to when I go Phase 2 next week - yes, I've thought about it a bit :

1. About the "other" foods added in, I approach each item individually, weighing the health benefits.
- For example, I don't worry at all about carrots. Even though they are high in sugars, they are considered low glycemic and they are just so nutritious. I can barely give them up for Phase 1. So adding a serving back in I wouldn't think would be restricted, or at least I am not planning on restricting them
- Peas - I don't eat them very often. My thought would be no biggie unless you plan to eat tons of them. I make split peas as my "beans" a lot. Wow! I just looked up fresh green peas and they are quite healthy - 7 g fiber, nearly 100% RDA for Vitamin C, 22% for Vitamin A. Maybe I should eat more of them . Maybe just count it as your bean serving instead of your veggie?? The mushy canned peas, I would say - well, since this is all my speculation, I would say avoid them altogether
- Hotdogs, I don't eat them except for the veggie kind so I can't advise, but I'd imagine the reason they are limited is different from the reason grains are limited (salt? fat? nitrates/other preservatives?) I'd say buy the leanest, healthiest ones you can find and that would be fine occasionally.

2. In the research I have done (like Here), the recommendation is to keep adding fruit OR carb at 1/week, theoretically ending up at up to 3 grains and 3 fruits/week after 6 weeks.
- I don't really understand if you have to add the same fruit/grain every day for a week... I try to vary my diet a lot, so having an apple EVERY day or a bowl of oatmeal EVERY day doesn't appeal to me that much. I'll have to think about this more
- ALSO, I'm not really sure what you eliminate when you add in all this extra food. Like, I'd assume I am eating too much cheese now, but do I really replace a serving of cheese with brown rice? Maybe... It just seems so complicated when approached this way.
- Honestly, maybe this is heresy, but I have always added 1 fruit AND 1 grain together but never went much further than that ever... maybe occasionally 2 servings of grain in a day. My goal this time is to actually have MORE fruit but never really go more than 1 serving of grain every day, in general. I still have to decide if I am going to spread out adding the grain and fruit over two weeks.

3. Again, I'm no expert here, but I would imagine if anything, splitting up the carb/fruit would have less impact than eating it all at once, thus would be desirable! My only thought would be is that if this is really the "test" period to see how your body responds, maybe it's better to test it with a whole serving at once?

So those are my thoughts on how I am approaching Phase 2... I'll try a few things, and I'll drop back a bit if I feel crave-y/binge-y or my weight loss stalls for more than a couple of weeks or so.

Maybe someone else will weigh in with more info?
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:11 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 194/186/154

Height: 5'7''

I think that , and someone correct me if I'm wrong, you can add grains and fruits from the Ph2 list as suggested in the handbook, eat half an apple, eat a whole apple, replace oats with a different whole grain, etc. as long as you're staying within a calorie range that's adequate for your to lose 1-2 lbs. a week. Yes, I know that calorie counting is not a part of the SBD approach, but really, the formula is simple. You have to burn more calories than you consume. So let's say you've eaten all your protein, dairy, beans, nuts and veggies (the same way you'd eaten them in Ph1), everything else is added within the constraints of how much you burn in any given day.
And to be certain, I'd run a typical daily intake through a calorie counter. Let's say you're around 1,000 calories after you've planed to eat all you MUST eat. I think it'd be safe to add a slice of whole wheat bread, two servings of fruit, and maybe a 75 calorie dessert - that would put you around 1,300 kcal. Depending on whether you can eat a bit more and still have about 500 kcal difference (which means you'd be losing at a 1lb/wk rate), you can add another serving of grains.
I don't know if it makes sense. This is just how I approach Ph2, but then someone may have better ideas/more knowledge.
Big Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:11 PM   #6  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Emma, that's an interesting link you posted. Because it's so individual, it's really hard to state exactly what one's menu additions should consist of. Adding one thing in at a time allows you to check for sensitivities to certain foods. South Beach is loosely structured, and I'm OK with that, but everybody is different. I just added cereal the first week, then a fruit the next week, then kind of stayed that way until I reached my goal.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:55 AM   #7  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

It's all a matter of experimenting and seeing how your body reacts. If you add a grain in the morning and it makes you hungry/crave, then try the same grain in the evenings another day and see how you react to it. Same with fruit. Some people can eat fruit in the morning and do fine. With others, fruit is better in the evenings. Just add stuff slowly and at different times of the day and see what happens. It may take a while to do all this experimentation, but if you listen to your body, it'll clue you in eventually.

For me personally, grains and a lot of fruit in the mornings set me off, so I kind of go heavy on the veggies/protien and a little fruit in the mornings (in the form of a smoothie) and only eat grains about once a week or so in the evening and mainly stick with protein/veggies. It took me a while to figure out what and when to eat stuff, but after I got that down, the weight fell off.

Oh, as to your question. If you add a grain/fruit etc and see you do fine with it,then leave it in your diet, and add another one a few days later and start the experiment all over again. Keep your diet varied so you don't get bored. After 3 years I'm still experimenting with new foods and try something new (new recipes) all the time.

Last edited by femmecreole; 09-09-2010 at 06:04 AM.
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote