Overeaters Anonymous - 4th Step...how "long" does this "fun" "last"?

woods
09-07-2010, 03:36 AM
Hi fellow OAs
I'm a newbie on my 4th step now. Looked at it for a week, without writing anything yet. Definitely not my favourite!

Anyone care to share their experience on their step 4 journey (nothing too private), in terms of the written length, and how much time it takes to write it. Any recommended reading or meditation at this step?

Thanks in advance. :cool:

dolliemac
09-07-2010, 05:44 PM
The fourth step was not fun for me and seemed to last forever. I think I actually spent about two months on it which makes me a nonexample. I looked at it a lot and procrastinated a lot. It brought up a lot of crappy feelings and at times I used the things I thought of to beat myself up with which also makes me a nonexample. When I had finished, my product amounted to 20 pages of things that bothered me. It was very disorganized and that bothered me. Sometimes I just wrote and at other times I generated lists. I chose to read it to my therapist which I think is a bit unconventional. While I read she kind of jotted down ideas and helped me group my flaws into themes. This helped me a lot. When we finished we came up with Controlling Others, Resentment, Lying, Judging, Selfishness and Hypocricy. These are not flattering and I imediately recognized them as the things I dislike most in others. Bingo, she said. This is what most people discover from working the fourth step. I hope this helps.

riby
09-07-2010, 05:57 PM
Are you referring to the fourth step in IP? Can you please clarify? I'm on step 1 in IP.

woods
09-08-2010, 01:22 PM
Hi,
I'm refering to Step 4 of 12 Steps program in Overeaters Anonymous. I am not sure what "IP" stands for.

Are you referring to the fourth step in IP? Can you please clarify? I'm on step 1 in IP.