Alternachicks - Tatoos- Who has them?

View Full Version : Tatoos- Who has them?

Wanttolosealot
10-19-2002, 02:28 PM
I am just curious if anyone in the group has a tatoo? I am going to get my first one on November 16th. My friend and I are both going to get one. I have wanted one for years but have never been brave enough to do it until now, I have already made the appointment, and am so looking forward to it. We are going to make a weekend out of it. Driving to Moncton, about 45 minutes away, get tattos at 1 pm, go get something to eat and go out to Triangles(gay/les/bi) bar. This will be my first time there and have been wanting to go forever.
The tatoo I am getting is a fairy with butterfly wings, having it done on my left upper breast.
Virginia:devil:

OI812
10-19-2002, 04:01 PM
I got my first tattoo about a month and a half ago. It's a butterfly on my left shoulder blade! I love it and can't wait to get another one. To be truthful, it does hurt! But not enough for me not to want to get another one!

Good luck with yours.

Kelly

Wildfire
10-19-2002, 04:45 PM
I have a jade green tribal dragon on my back, between my shoulder blades. I found that it felt more like a stinging, except when they do outlines...that feels like you're being cut. After the first minute or so, you'll adjust to the feel and your body releases adrenaline to help you out....by the time mine was done I was way mellow.

Be sure you are going to not only a reputable shop, but artist as well. I'm sure you've already done the research...to make sure things are sterilized in an autoclave, disposable inks are used, make them unwrap the needles in front of you, etc,etc. You can ask if the shop is recognized by the ATA in Canada. (Association of Tattoo Artists) Make sure you eat something before you
go....something healthy. You're going to need the energy.

Good luck with it! A tattoo is a work of art, yours forever, it can't be broken, borrowed, or stolen.

ginya
10-19-2002, 06:46 PM
I designed mine myself, a simple heart with a bandaid on it. I love it, but when I got home from getting it, (to cover a bioposy scar) my hubby said..I don't recall discussing this...and I said I don't recall needing to... It is on my left brest, just low enough to hide and high enough to freak out my mom when I am feeling so inclined. Would I do it again...hmmm, as long as the design ment something important...my nieces have disney characters all up and down their legs, and now, trying to be professional means pants. I guess you just need to want to make the statement, and make sure you want to make it for the rest of your life. But remember, bright colors may need to be 'refreshed' every once and a while.

Wanttolosealot
10-19-2002, 06:56 PM
I think of Butterflies and Fairys as free spirits, and that is how I want my spirit to be, even if the rest of me is not always free.
Feeling really bummed out today and wish I was getting it right now. Sometimes life can really suck!
Virginia

cheez
10-20-2002, 12:40 AM
I have one very unusual tatoo on my inside left ankle. I love it, it makes me smile every time I notice it. I've had it for several years and have wanted another one very much ever since. I'm working on a Celtic braid design right now that incorporates the names of my 3 kids.

On a similar note, I got another piercing today. This time, a small hoop on the right side of my nose. Another thing I've meant to do for ages! BUT afterwards, the guy said, "Oh and no swimming for 3 months." I about choked, swimming is my best exercise. I just swam a mile yesterday in fact. Yikes!!! After seeing my reaction, he said, "Ok, well just try to keep it out of the water as much as you can for 6-8 weeks." Guess I have to find an alternate exercise. Doh!

newday4me
10-20-2002, 03:33 PM
I have a tattoo of a small rose on my right inner ankle. I got it the night I turned 18. I will never remove it; its means too much too me on a personal level; its my signature!!

:) :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :) :devil:

wykyd
10-20-2002, 07:04 PM
I have a seahorse tattooed on my left ankle. I got it on my 30th birthday after a horrendous and humiliating reltaionship breakup, to remind myself to always remain an independent person, even within a relationship.
:devil:

Lunula
10-20-2002, 10:59 PM
I have a Celtic/Viking symbol (an "animal-like figure" with knotting) in greens & yellows on my left ankle. Got it my senior year of college (1993) and I still like it. I've had passing moments of "removal thoughts" - but infrequently. It's just a part of me now, and it's part of my heritage (being of Norwegian/Irish descent)... though I've gotten annoyed with the "what the heck is that?!" at times. (NO! It's not a dragon!) :lol:

aphil
10-23-2002, 01:37 PM
HI,
I have Woodstock (the Peanuts bird) on the side of my belly, a few inches away from my naval; A black tribal design on my breastbone right above my cleavage, and a multicolored antique style cross on my right thigh.
I also used to have my nose and naval pierced, but I removed the naval ring when I was 6 months pregnant-it looked like a grenade pin! I removed the nose ring after my first child was born.
Aphil

Punkinseed
10-24-2002, 11:44 AM
I *had* two and had them both removed - I regret removing one of them, but not the other. I got them both when I was 18 at Sunset Strip Tattoo in Hollywood.
I had a music note on the inside of my right ankle and a heart with wings on the outside of my left ankle. I wish I'd kept the music note as it says so much about me and brings back incredible memories from when I used to hang out with all the "hair bands" of the 80's (no I wasn't a groupie, more like what Penny Lane called a "band-aid" in Almost Famous).

Removal was beyond painful so make sure your decision is EXACTLY what you want - it'll be on you forever. Even though mine are gone I can still see faint colors, almost like a bruise and a bit of scaring. I regret more than anything the fact that I removed them to make a man happy - that should've been a sign right there that I was giving up my "self". Oh well, live and learn.

My first post divorce "I'll do what I want because I can" was piercing both my traguses. I'd wanted to since I was in my 20's but the ex said it looked stupid and I listened. I LOVE how they look!
I am currently looking for a certain swirly crop circle formation that I saw on a tv program that raised every hair on my body. I want THAT on my lower back, in color. I'm not exactly sure what the symbol means, but for me the crop circles signify mystery, hope and faith - you never see who or what makes them, but each person knows what they believe in their heart.

Terri

Wildfire
10-24-2002, 09:41 PM
Hey, Punkin....try this site: http://www.circlemakers.org/ to see if you can find your crop circle.

Top circles are here: http://www.circlemakers.org/totc2001.html

Ruthxxx
10-24-2002, 10:03 PM
I am soooo out of it.
I am seriously considering having "This Way" tattooed on my lower abdomen and inner thighs - with the appropriate directional arrow, of course! :lol:
Maybe in both official languages?
Whaddaya think?

Wanttolosealot
10-24-2002, 10:14 PM
Ruth sounds like a plan! That is hillarious! But sadly I understand! Oh well.
Virginia

flower
10-28-2002, 12:33 PM
I have 2. One is a band of daisys, w/ no foliage around my upper left arm. I got it right after my husband passed away. Before tribal bands were popular. The second is a spinning/dancing fairy that is on my upper back in between my shoulder blades. I want a third but I keep finding more and more and I don't want to look like those coloring book women, so I am holding off til I can decide.

MissWashu
10-31-2002, 02:25 PM
"I try not to measure my tattoos by number, but by square inch"
That's how my BF describes his work. Personally I measure my tattoos by number of hours of work. I have about 10 1/2 hours of work so far. My first was when I was 14. A small yellow rose on the inside of my ankle. Then, after I was 18 and didn't need permision anymore, it was an Egyptian eye of Horus on my low-lower back. To watch over the many loved ones that passed that year. Then I did two tiger lilies on my foot/ankle beside the rose. Then the big-kahuna, 5 hrs. , 10 inches tall, a dancing Goddess on the the lower-middle of my back. And most recently I have extended the lilies on my foot with some other blue-button type flowers up the outside of the ankle/calf.
I am planning to continue the wildflowers all the way up and around my right leg with a warrior fairie centered on my calf, and filling in a full back-piece around my Goddess.
My words of advice for you Virginia... do your research!!!! As it has already been said, make sure everything is sterile. Make them unwrap the needles in front of you. Ask to see the autoclave if you'd like. Other than that, find an artist that you feel comfortable with, as a person and as an artist. Ummmm, eat before you go and it never hurts to bring some juice or water to drink if you know you'll be there awhile.
And most importantly, have fun!
Blessings
-Washu-

Rnbolillie
11-02-2002, 07:44 PM
I have a butterfly (purples, teal, and yellow) on my right ankle. I LOVE it!! I got it on my 27th birthday. I had just left my dh, and tome it symbolic for major changes and freedom. :)

Wanttolosealot
11-02-2002, 10:39 PM
I really like your quote at the end Rnbolollie, **Practice random acts of kindness**. The worl would be a much nicer place to live if everybody did just that.
Virginia

Rnbolillie
11-04-2002, 07:48 AM
I completely agree with you!!

Another favorite quote that I recently "found" is--"You must be the change you wish to see in the world"--Mahatma Gandhi.

Wanttolosealot
11-04-2002, 07:52 AM
Wow, that is an awesome quote. It all starts with us doesn't it?
Virginia

VelvetCyberpunk
11-14-2002, 12:53 AM
Hi everyone! I'm new and thought this thread was really cool. I have a chinese dragon on my back left shoulder with chinese kanji on each side, on the left it says passion, and on the right is says pain. It's a bit plain so I'm going to see if Bob Tyrell will shade it for me, and put swirls of smoke behind the dragon. I also want a celtic design, and beatnik cat playing bongos, and a cresent moon. I love tattoos!

GregorysGirl
11-14-2002, 12:42 PM
Hi all!

:) I have 4 tattoos. Flowers ( morning glory) , a heart with my husbands name, a heart that says "mom" ( yeah, I know...but I really love my mom), shamrocks, and a claddaugh ( irish symbol).

~Coleen~

Wanttolosealot
11-14-2002, 12:50 PM
Wow, so many great tattoos, I never knew there would be such an interest when I opened this thread. I go for my very first Tattoo on this Saturday at 6PM. I am so excited! I can not believe I am finally going to get it. A fairy with butterfly wings!
Virginia

Wanttolosealot
11-17-2002, 09:42 AM
I DID IT!!!!!
Pam and I went and got our tattoos last night. I had the best day and night of my life last night. We had so much fun and we were totally ourselves. It feels so great to have a friend with whom you can let it all hang out and just be yourself totally.
The outline of the tattoo hurt the most but the coloring in part did not hurt bad at all. Our artist was very good, and kinda cute too as far as men go. He works out too, so we all chatted about our workouts, our kids and he made us feel very comfortable.
After we left there, we went to Triangles, a gay bar, and had the time of our lives. It was the first time either one of us has set foot in a gay bar, but certainly will not be or last. I felt like I belonged more than I have ever in my life. It was the coolest thing! We met up with a friend from work and his boyfriend. Everyone was so friendly and sincere!
I was told by Pam and our frined Peter, that I loved beautiful . You know what, for the first time in my life, (crying as I type this)I felt beautiful!!
What an experience! I will stop rambling now!
Big hugs to all
Virginia

Wildfire
11-17-2002, 10:38 AM
You ARE beautiful, hon! I'm so glad you had such a great time and that your tattoo experience went so well. So, have you thought about your next tattoo? :D Everyone I know that has a tattoo is planning their next one! (me included) I hope it isn't too sore today. Take good care of it...the healing process is very important for the finished look.

Wanttolosealot
11-17-2002, 10:59 AM
Thank you Wildfire
You are beautiful too! Yes , we are both planning our next time already. Pam wants to get a chain around her cute little belly tattooed, and I think I want to get the Kenji sign for Bisexual with some vines entwined with it, on my back, but not sure, may change my mind. I also plan to get my nose peirced after Christmas sometime.

Lamorgan
11-20-2002, 11:46 AM
Hello.... I've been gone a long time. But I'm back again. :)

I had my first tatoo done when I was 30, just before we moved across the country... It was a time of massive change in my life and the tatoo really symbolized the passing for me from one way of life into another...

My friend and I went to a biker tatoo parlour on the Danforth in Toronto. I have no idea if the place was clean, and suspect it wasn't!

I designed a sun for my right outer ankle, and have never regretted getting it done.

Ever since I've been planning the next...

If/when I get another (I'll research) and I think it'll be a spiral. I'd like it on my shoulder, where I could see it.

What holds me back is the waiting time after a tatoo or piercing I cannot give blood for one year, and I usually donate every 2 months. Lately though my red blood count has been just under what they will allow so I can't give anyway, so perhaps I should do it...

I turned 40 this year and it has been a time of more inner change, more growth, more of everything it seems. Perhaps time to mark that change.

Lois / Lamorgan

Wanttolosealot
11-25-2002, 07:39 AM
Here is my tattoo! Done on November 16th, 2002

Wanttolosealot
11-25-2002, 07:41 AM
Sorry about the boob shot! Isn't she beautiful! My fairy offering flowers to the goddess of love.
Virginia

mauvaisroux
11-25-2002, 10:40 PM
Hey Virginia, nice t..um I mean tatoo! :lol:
Really, all joking aside she is a lovely fairy:df:

barefootgrrrl
11-25-2002, 11:19 PM
Virginia.........

:D

dentrassi
11-26-2002, 12:06 AM
COOL FAIRY!!!!!!

ellis
11-26-2002, 08:38 AM
Wow! :D

soozie
11-26-2002, 09:23 AM
Love that little fairy!
and by the way....what is a tragus?
I didn't take anatomy!
Still don't have any tattoos...
just fantasize about getting one
sometimes...but, only in a very
private place....
Virginia...glad you felt beautiful,
keep that feeling with you always!

I use practice random acts of kindness as
my tag line also...the second line of that is
"...and senseless acts of beauty..."
I love the philosophy.
Love, Soozie

Ruthxxx
11-26-2002, 09:42 AM
"a senseless act of beauty" is like "just for pretty" as my friend's German mother used to say. She planted cosmos in her tomato patch "just for pretty".
I do love your tag, Sooze

Punkinseed
11-26-2002, 06:17 PM
Virginia, your tattoo turned out beautiful! Sounds like you had a great experience too - good!

I can't remember who sent me the link on crop circles, but I found mine!! I'm going to try to attach it...

Soozie - the tragus is the little flap of your ear that you'd push on to plug your ears - attached to the side of your head by your jaw bone area.
I have both mine pierced. They look awsome and was almost 100% painless - BUT, you have to have it done by someone who knows what they're doing. They can be bloody, there's a lot of nerves and the cartlidge there is really thick. Also, it's a must to use piercing needles, not a gun (aka blunt force piercing).

Terri :D

Wanttolosealot
11-26-2002, 07:10 PM
punkinseed
I really like the crop circle. Will make a really cool tattoo! I am not 100% sure what I want for my next one .
Virginia

soozie
11-26-2002, 10:50 PM
Ruth thanks...I love yours too!
And I like that..."just for pretty!"
That crop circle picture is really wild.
Wow. How did someone do that so precisely!
Intense.
Soozie

Punkinseed
11-27-2002, 12:28 PM
Soozie, it does boggle the mind doesn't it? Here's something else to ponder about this circle - and why I'm so enthralled with it...

It was created during the night on August 14th. The circle is 787 feet wide and has 409 circles in it. The largest being 70 feet across (see the tiny dot in the center - that's a man standing in the center circle).
To the best anyone can figure, even if a hoaxer hauled butt they'd have about 4 hours of "traffic free" time to get in and out of the crop to make the circle unseen. Given the enormity of this one, and the complexity, they'd have to have made a circle every 30 seconds to complete it in the 4 hours allotted - with no time allowed for surveying. Impossible - even the hoaxers are scratching their heads at this circle. There's even changes to the crop on a cellular level. The nodes were blown out from heat, and the seeds they replanted from within the circle grew 111% faster than seeds from outside the circle.

I don't know who or what made it - a herd of humans? Aliens? Vortex? Plasma storm? I donno', but it's this great mystery that pulls me to it.

Now, the thought of having 409 circles tattooed on me does make me think it's going to be done in a few stages! :lol:

Terri

Wildfire
11-28-2002, 08:47 PM
Punkin, 'twas moi who gave you the link...isn't it an awesome site? I thought that might be the circle you were referring to...it's incredible!

ellis
11-28-2002, 09:24 PM
Oh my gosh... there she is again! Braggart!!! :lol:

mauvaisroux
11-28-2002, 10:01 PM
I always say that I must be the most boring gothy-looking girl ever. No piercings, no tattoos, no meds, don't do drugs, don't drink much, don't even smoke cigarettes :shrug:

I'm just a really pale redhead that wears a lot of black clothes and funky accessories, has a shoe addiction, reads a lot, listens to non-mainstream music, and goes on crazy adventures (a lot of them seem somewhat David Lynchesque :lol: ) I don't do black lipstick or nail polish either :p I tried it once and it looked awful on me!

ellis
11-29-2002, 12:38 PM
Mauvais, you do NOT look boring. You know what I was thinking the other day... You know the movie "The Curse of the Jade Scorpion"? (Woody Allen) Well I think you'd be perfect for Helen Hunt's part. She didn't fit in well at all, but you'd be perfect for that era! You look tres cool, girl!

Wanttolosealot
11-29-2002, 01:33 PM
Mauvaisroux,
You need to summit a photo of yourself you hott little chick you, and that goes double for you Ellis.
Virginia

mauvaisroux
11-29-2002, 10:59 PM
Thanks Ellis! :) I haven't seen the movie yet but I know the time frame from the trailers. I would love to wear all those clothes:D

I am too :chicken: to post my picture. What if I am walking down the street one day and someone runs up to me and says "Hey! aren't you Mauvaisroux?" :eek:

ellis
11-30-2002, 08:32 AM
My sentiments exactly, Mauvais. Ottawa is a small town. And I have a couple of political enemies here. :D

dentrassi
11-30-2002, 01:30 PM
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean nobody is out to get you.

ellis
12-03-2002, 05:59 PM
Who wrote that?

Mauvais, I've got the movie if you want to borrow it. :)

There was a girl at the gym this morning with a big tattoo on her shoulder. I didn't notice what it was, but I did notice that my mom accidently fell on top of her and knocked her over. heh heh.

mauvaisroux
12-03-2002, 07:06 PM
Thanks Ellis. I would like to borrow that movie. Boy your mom is mad, bad, and dangerous to know :lol:

ellis
12-03-2002, 07:31 PM
You should pop over some time for a tea and go through our movies... you could borrow a bunch for the holidays. :)

mauvaisroux
12-03-2002, 07:38 PM
That would be cool! It would be great to see you again. :cool: