South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 09-04-2010, 01:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 247/227/180

Height: 5'4"

Default SBD vs. free dessert

I'm a freelance writer, and I'm regularly assigned restaurant reviews around town. This has been challenging but doable on SBD; it's especially easier at higher-end restaurants where there are healthier options. Last night was one such event. My boyfriend and I had a stuffed portabella mushroom appetizer; it was stuffed with artichoke hearts, red onions, spinach, a smidge of feta, and really high-quality balsamic vinegar, all served over a roasted red pepper puree. Okay, so far so good.

The main course was equally successful (I am on Phase II, btw): I had grilled amberjack fish with crab salsa, and sides of green beans and zucchini. Excellent! I was all set for some hot tea to round out the meal when our server informed us that our entrees came with free dessert.

Oh, boy.

I ended up caving and ordered the flourless chocolate cake. Sure it's flourless, so that's good (sort of...), but it also has plenty of refined sugar and butter. In my pre-SBD days, I would have tried to rationalize the whole thing: "Well, I just had a healthy dinner, so I'm entitled to dessert." But this time was different. I understood exactly what I was doing and I held myself accountable.

I also only ate half of it.

So, that's my confession. I really felt like I had to vent (so thanks for listening)!

Today I feel okay. I had eggs and nitrate-free turkey bacon for breakfast, V-8, and some unsweetened herbal tea. I'm not going to sit around and dwell on last night's slipup; I'm back on the horse and I'm going to make this weekend a good one. I wish you all the same!
strangerthanfiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 01:13 PM   #2  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

My take is occasionally....very occasionally, one needs a bit of decadance.
Just move on and make the bulk of your days healthy ones. If you live in the land that offers the greatest food anywhere it's to be expected...uh, very occasionally..

Unfortunately LA? Naw, totally blessed LA..We are lucky that we don't live in Applebees Land and can go to restaurants that don't mind making us happy with "custom" orders and chefs that delight in making each customer feel like they are the only ones. We are blessed with great produce and wonderful seafood and people who really understand the whole dining experience. Live to eat, Baby!!!!

Last edited by femmecreole; 09-04-2010 at 01:18 PM.
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 01:28 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 294/197/160

Height: 5'6"

That's okay! I have been strictly following the SBD for over a month now and I decided to share a birthday dessert with my best friend the other night since it was such a special occasion and it didn't do any damage.
Lindsay0614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 06:32 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 194/186/154

Height: 5'7''

It sounds like you had a Ph3 day, but you switched right back to Ph2 so technically, you didn't really abandon the SBD. Seriously though, if you have a non-SBD treat, even before you reach your goal, every once in a while, and compensate for it by either exercising an extra 20 minutes, or switching to Ph1 for a day or two - I don't think it's a problem at all. Frankly, If I had to deny myself chocolate cake forever, my life would really suck.

Last edited by Big Mama; 09-05-2010 at 11:59 PM.
Big Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:52 PM   #5  

I feel the same! If I am to crave something, I will split it with my hubby and maybe love my Elliptical trainer a few minutes more!
toothlady is offline   Reply With Quote