100 lb. Club - TMI shirtless picture (loose skin)

matt_H
09-04-2010, 12:38 PM
I've told several people that I'd take a picture of myself shirtless when I got down to 200 so that I can have a record of how the skin looks at initial goal. I don't have a scale here in Ohio (currently visiting family) but I had my brother take a picture anyway. I think I am almost right at 200 now as I was just a pound up before I left on this trip and so far have been pretty good.

I don't know how well you can see the skin issues, but its pretty bad. However, I don't think I look as bad as I did when I was 240 pounds heavier!

Click here (http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b112/anomie666/012.jpg) for the shirtless picture. You've been warned!

calluna
09-04-2010, 12:48 PM
You're a braver soul than I, gunga din. I won't post shirtless pictures. ;)

It's a consequence of being as heavy as we were, I guess. I don't have a lot of comfort for you, but at least there are possible solutions if you choose to explore them.

Ain't it great to see ribs and collarbones and such, though?! :hug:

Eliana
09-04-2010, 12:52 PM
Hey Matt! You're doing such wonderful things! And you look so great! You really do. IF you had that skin removed, I bet you'd lose 5-10 pounds in skin. ;) You are very thin now! I hate for you that you have the saggy skin, but how often do you go around without your shirt on? ;) Maybe a lot...this coming from a woman! :D I've heard it can take two years for the skin to bounce back if it's going to.

I think you look terrific!

MablesGirl
09-04-2010, 01:15 PM
Hi Matt. You've done so well with your weight loss, you are so much healthier and look so much better than you did when you started, I'm sure! Now you have that record of how your skin first looked, so you can tell if it's getting better or not. Congrats on getting to 200!

Loving Me
09-04-2010, 01:51 PM
Matt you are very brave, I'm envious. You still look amazing and should be very proud of everything you have achieved.
My loose skin is starting to get me down now, but I'm the same as you, I'd rather be where I am now that 114lbs heavier.
Hopefully time will be a great healer for us both and the skin issues will improve. I'm still at the stage where I don't think I would go for skin removal once I'm at goal, too scared of the surgery and aftercare etc, but you never know.

dragonwoman64
09-04-2010, 02:58 PM
wow, how does it feel to have lost so much weight and be so close to where you want to be? and I'd guess the extra skin probably is about 10 lbs. I mean, that's pretty amazing. You must feel like a new person. and your health and stamina, forget about it. man, you've just added so much to the quality and quantity of the years of your life. congrats, Matt!

catherinef
09-04-2010, 03:06 PM
Right there with you, Matt, with the visible ribcage and the loose skin, although I certainly haven't the guts to post a photo of mine, but you know, you look really good, and what you've done is amazing.

lovemyboy
09-04-2010, 04:05 PM
Matt, thank you so much for sharing. You definately look goal-ish. You have so much definition. I can't wait for my ribs to stick out. This is a great start of goal picture you can use to compare to later on. You look great. You really do. You've accomplished so much.

I wish more folks would post these types of real pictures. It helps me know what to expect. And I will take extra skin over obesity any day.

Rosinante
09-04-2010, 04:16 PM
Well, I was prepared for grosser!
Unless you've adopted this peculiar fashion of wearing trouser waistband half way down the bum (weird! or is it just in England?) and stretching it to halfway down the front as well, no-one's going to see the loose skin in real life.

I can understand you not being thrilled with it but, as you've said, it beats the heck out of having the skin filled with 240lbs of fat! You're a total hero to me.

tryhardforlife
09-04-2010, 04:50 PM
Matt don't sweat it. Just pull up your drawers and give it time we all have the same issues. You the man.

Teresa66
09-04-2010, 04:55 PM
I agree with everyone else that you have so MUCH to be grateful for. You did such an amazing thing to get fit and healthy and of course having some extra skin plays into vanity, but under the right clothes you are one hot dude and don't forget it! :cool: Oh and if you are interested Spanx makes products for men. Just saying. ;)

RobinD
09-04-2010, 05:03 PM
Wow, Matt - yours is amazing accomplishment! I wouldn't let the skin get you down. :)

Jennie527
09-04-2010, 07:13 PM
You have done an amazing job, Matt. Congrats on your weight loss. Being your current weight with some extra skin is WAY better than being 250 lbs heavier. If it bothers you too much, look into the procedures for getting it removed. I know that after I lose my weight, since I am 120 lbs overweight and have nursed 2 children, I will probably be looking into a tummy tuck and a breast lift....or maybe not. Who knows. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. You should be so proud of your wonderful accomplishment. :)

susiemartin
09-04-2010, 07:14 PM
Very brave indeed. The loose skin just isn't all that bad. I would have thought it would be worse.

BillBlueEyes
09-04-2010, 07:20 PM
Thanks, Matt, for having the courage to show the weight loss person's Full Monty.

My response is to be impressed that it's not worse than that. I have my own issues with 81 pounds lost, and am trying to reach accepting that, Yep, that's my body now.

Onederchic
09-04-2010, 07:21 PM
You are an inspiration and I am glad you posted the pic and I think you look fantastic :hug:

gtech2mit10
09-04-2010, 07:22 PM
I too think you look great, truly. Congratulations!

FreeSpirit
09-04-2010, 07:45 PM
You look great! I plan on posting a picture of my stomach when I get to goal as well. I know a lot of men and women struggle with wondering what they'll look like at goal, and I want to show something REAL. I think you're so brave and have done a wonderful job showing what their body may look like after losing a similar amount of weight.

saef
09-04-2010, 08:51 PM
Matt, thank you for this, because you make me feel more normal and accepting of my own body. Okay. so that is what it is: Loose skin. I'm not just kidding myself when I look at my own midriff & make that call. It's not flab or weirdly allocated fat. I'm starting to get defined abs, but my stomach melts in a puddle around the waistline. Unlike you, based on these photos anyway, I've also got loose skin in my upper arms, though that only shows if I hold my arms out straight ahead of me.

Now I'll tell you what I ought to be telling myself: Don't let the skin distract you from your accomplishment. You have done something out of the ordinary -- you do realize that, don't you? A lot of people want to make a big change in themselves; many never manage that. And you have. Compared with that, the skin is nothing.

Windchime
09-04-2010, 08:55 PM
Matt, honestly--my first impression is of a pretty thin dude. The loose skin isn't nearly what I thought it would be, what with all the warnings and preparations you issued! I think you look great. Like others have said, you can always do surgery if it really bothers you but honestly, I don't think it's bad at all, especially considering how much weight you've lost.

You look like a million bucks. You really, really do.

hhichick
09-04-2010, 09:20 PM
Add me to the "there wasn't nearly as much loose skin as I thought there would be" club. Seriously, you look great - and while I've not seen many folks who've lost 240 pounds shirtless, there really was much less loose skin than I expected.

TJFitnessDiva
09-05-2010, 12:14 AM
It's not too bad :) The longer I maintain the better my loose skin looks *or* I'm just getting used to it lol I wish I would have taken "before" pics of mine to really tell!

You are still a hottie! ;)

pinkflower
09-05-2010, 12:42 AM
You look great!!! And you're right. Loose skin doesn't put you at higher risk for so many diseases--heart disease, diabetes etc etc, so it's much better than the fat! :D Thank you for posting your pic

Arctic Mama
09-05-2010, 04:28 AM
I don't think it looks very bad at all, there's a lot of it, sure, but nothing clothing can't camouflage. If you did have it removed it would lighten you quite a bit, but unless you're really unhappy with it or having issues with infections underneath the flaps, I think living with it is safer than the crazy surgical risks of a full lift.

Either way, you look phenomenal and are so inspiring, way to go!

natamars
09-05-2010, 08:28 AM
You look fantastic!! Congratulations on your amazing accomplishments!!!

rockinrobin
09-05-2010, 08:55 AM
Matt I too was expecting much *worse*.

I know you know this - loose skin doesn't cause heart disease, diabetes, many cancers and a whole slew of other deadly and debilitating diseases, It won't stop you from fitting on a roller coaster or a restaurant booth, an airplane seat or a barber's chair. You won't have to be worried about fitting through tight spaces, walking for miles on end (yay you!!), getting winded walking up a flight of steps and on and on.

I also know you feel as I do - surely I'd rather have lost the weight and not had any loose skin, but thank G-d I lost the weight.

You have completely transformed your life. And yes, there are going to be some battle scars. So be it. But who are we kidding -loose skin and all - you look fabulous. FABULOUSSSS :hug:

matt_H
09-05-2010, 11:39 AM
Thanks everyone.

I know the skin issues will get better over time. Things will also improve if I put on muscle and lose some more body fat. At this point, the skin issues can only get better!

Now that I have at least one "before" picture, I can compare it to what I might look like 1 year from now. Hopefully there will be noticeable improvement.

:)

kelly315
09-05-2010, 11:48 AM
You still look fine. If it bothers you a lot, you can always have it removed.

joannie
09-05-2010, 12:33 PM
Add me to the "there wasn't nearly as much loose skin as I thought there would be" club. Seriously, you look great - and while I've not seen many folks who've lost 240 pounds shirtless, there really was much less loose skin than I expected.

While I can't speak for Matt, I can speak for myself, having lost 247 lbs to date. First to Matt, you do look fantastic and have accomplished something remarkable, and healthy feels so great! I am surprised at your chest and upper arms, having lost similar to you... those are 2 areas that are bad for loose skin for me, yet you look great. Now to comments like above... we can only see areas on the pics that are exposed. Another bad are for me is the crotch and upper legs. And it is not about appearance. I mean it is actually painful because the skin hangs out of the clothing, underwear, etc and actually gets pinched in clothing. At times the skin even tears from being pinched in clothing. Again, I can't speak for Matt or others who may have this problem, but the issue may be more than what you see. And may not always be about appearance. That said, I know our bodies are much healthier compared to when carrying around all that extra weight, so would not let the thought of loose skin deter anyone because as I said, being healthy does feel great.

matt_H
09-05-2010, 01:38 PM
Hey Joannie,

Yes, the issue for me is definitely more pronounced than the picture shows for me. My upper thighs and butt are particular problem areas as this is where I carried most of my weight (unlike most males who typically have pot bellies). Also, my stomach skin is mostly hidden under the short pants I'm wearing in that picture. I have a fold of fat/ skin that hangs way down low past my waist.

The good news is that things will get better!

kendra
09-05-2010, 05:06 PM
You look fabulous! Thank you for being so brave posting that pic. I don't know that I could have done that at this point. You are an inspiration!

starfishkitty
09-06-2010, 11:45 AM
You look amazing... way to go! You almost look TOO skinny! Yeesh!

As for the skin.... chump change as compared to the health benefits you've gotten (I'm sure) from this. And like other people above said, give it a few years to see just how much it'll get better on its own before you start thinking of anything else. I know that I personally will probably consider surgery, cos I know I'm gonna have some serious skin myself on my tummy.... but I'm not going to rush it. :)

Congrats again though! :)

Nikki6kidsmom
09-07-2010, 05:02 PM
Matt I am pretty impressed that you seem to only have that bit of lower abdominal skin to deal with. I have 4 major areas of skin to deal with and I am beginning to accept that only surgery will fix it for me.
You look great and I say if it would make you feel better have it removed. But your arms and chest look totally normal, I'm alittle jealous.

caryesings
09-07-2010, 05:38 PM
Thanks for sharing so much with us. It takes a lot of courage to tackle such a big project and then be willing to share even the not-so-pretty side. That said, I agree with those calling you a hottie!

Trazey34
09-07-2010, 07:18 PM
pffft that ain't no thang! A shirt on and you'd never even know -- that's WAY easier to hide than a few hundred pounds eh???

awesome job & thanks for being brave and posting - rock on!

Natasha1534
09-07-2010, 07:47 PM
I'm w/ all those who said "it's not nearly as bad as I was expecting." You look absolutely amazing and I am SO impressed by your progress. It must feel great being so much lighter than before...not to mention being such an inspiration to us here. ;) Congratulations on your amazing accomplishment and all your hard work. It's certainly paid off!!!