Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-04-2010, 02:49 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 217/196/135

Height: 5'7"

Default Question about "eating back calories" after workout

Is this necessary? Does it depend on how much exercise you do? I usually have a fast acting carb/protein snack or drink after weight training, but other than that, I don't really eat extra if I'm planning on working out intensely. My friend thinks I should be, but it seems kind of counter productive to me. Thoughts?
cammieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 06:01 AM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I agree - totally counterproductive. Unless of course you're a runner and are burning tons of calories.

One of the many benefits to exercise is to burn some calories and help us create that all important calorie deficit - to turn around and eat them back - well there goes that calorie deficit that we're trying so hard to create.

My calorie intake doesn't change with the amount of exercise I do or don't do. I keep my calories taken in (consumed) totally, separate from my calories burned. I eat what I eat. I burn what I burn. In fact, I don't even track the calories I burn as it would be impossible to get any accurate count on it.

Any calories I burn due to exercise or activity is a bonus.

Though of course depending on how you feel, you can keep *some* calories, in the way of a small planned snack, for that time if you find it necessary and useful to staying on plan.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 06:51 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 182/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4''

I'm the same as rockinrobin, my exercise is for the in vs. out equation, I want 500 more out than I put in, to give me a deficit of minimum 3500 cals a week = 1 pound. I tend to eat after tha gym as part of my meal plans anyway as I'm usualy hungry, but my calories stay the same whether I go to the gym or not (about 1200-1500). My sessions are usually between 500-800 cals (though I did a monster sesh last night at 1000!).

I guess what I'm saying is, for weight loss, what works for me is burning more than I'm eating (as in BMR + exercise, not just burning my consumed cals!) And as long as you are safe and are eating enough for your body to continue functioning and healing etc, I don't see the need for extra. I'm not a trained Dr or anthing, it's just my opinion, but it works for me
abidabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:26 AM   #4  
Just keep swimming...

S/C/G: 215/ticker/140

Height: 5'8"

I never eat back the calories. About the only time I'd considered bumping calories up a bit would be all day hiking with a heavy pack, and even then I'd be careful.
My Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:45 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 267.8/211/150

Height: 5'2"

I don't consciously eat them back, but sometimes if I have a particularly intense run or workout I do get more hungry, and will allow myself an extra snack of about 100 calories.
Bac0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 01:10 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

The only time I've ever eaten back calories from a work-out was after an all-day hike. My WW kit has a slider that can calculate about how many points I burned off during that hike....it was something crazy like 14 or so. So I ate a few of those back, but not all.

If i know I'm doing something intensively physical, I try to just plan my calories different, rather than eating more. I might have a larger breakfast and compensate by having a lower calorie dinner that night. But I don't say "I burn 200 calories in this work-out, so I'm just eating 200 calories more today"!
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 01:50 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 217/196/135

Height: 5'7"

Thanks for the great advice, guys! I was a bit worried about this since I do HIIT and stuff, but I'm glad to see that as long as I get in the right kind and amount of food throughout the day, I'll be okay.
cammieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 04:17 PM   #8  

The way Weight Watchers calculates points for activity, you aren't eating back all your burned. You have to burn 100 calories to get 1 point which is about 50-60 calories of food. I work out at the Y 6 days a week. I have a protein shake when I get home, 100 calories, but it is calculated in my regular food points. I never eat AP points.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote