Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 09-01-2010, 11:15 PM   #1  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

Default Would you use/purchase one of these?

Through my work we can win 'points' that we can save up to get free things off a website. Because I've never used my points in almost two years, I have just about 9000 (I just won 500 through a over time incentive!)

I can get one of these for free and still have enough points to get my fiance a camera. It would be his birthday and our anniversary gift (he quit smoking and I want to get him into weight training)

http://www.theshoppingchannel.com/pr...oIt-_-Shop-_-A

It's free for me, but I'm not sure if I should use my points on this.

I would still like to add to my dumbell collection but I thought this would help with other non dumbbell related things haha.

What do you guys think?
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:37 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Personally, no. I'd never get something like that because it takes up space and really isn't all that useful.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:26 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 220/183/140

Height: 5'4"

I noticed that you said that you wanted to get him into weight lifting. Does HE want to get into it?

My DH bought a Bowflex and it has sat in the garage, put together and unused, for 8 months. I expect most equipment does.

Has he tried free weights at all? I'd start there. Why not give him the Rules for Lifting for Men and see how he responds?

Just my 2 cents worth.

Rhonda
Tejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:03 AM   #4  
Losing the baby weight

It'd be more for me than anything, he's actually been wanting a bowflex so he can get into it, but even if he doesn't use it I would. He was doing free weights with his roommate before my friend and I split them up so they could marry us haha. I wouldn't get him New Rules of Lifting because he wouldn't read it. He just doesn't read. (He's a carpenter with limited high school education, he just doesn't like to read)

He's clinically underweight and he's been trying to build muscle. My free weight collection is pitiful at the moment but I'm adding to it. He's more of a machine type of guy. He's been adding more protein to his diet because of how physical his job is but he just can't gain.

We also have a spare room we don't use, we got a place with two bedrooms for privacy reasons as it was our first time living together and never needed it. He plays guitar in there once in awhile and I'll paint. I've been thinking of turning it into a work out room.

To me it sounds like a good idea, but I have no experience with this type of set up so I was wondering if anyone has ever used one.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:51 PM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

My 2 cents ... Rather than get that machine I would add more free weights 5# to 20#dumbells, a bench, a stability ball, a bosu ball, bands, a squat rack, a stationary bike... I used to train a client on a Bowflex, a very expensive one at that, and I found it a PITA to switch the cables and bars, etc... She would insist on my using it and I did incorporate it, although l prefered to use free weights...

I prefer to do free weights, body weight and core workouts, it's less limiting than those machines, the sky's the limit, just use your imagination and the internet for workouts....

Like I said my 2 cents
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:56 PM   #6  
Losing the baby weight

I would love all those things you listed, but unforunately the free stuff available is limited to one of those and one of those mini steppers with rubber bands on them.

I'm still adding to the free weight collection Got my first kettle bell and looking at getting a barbell too. It's hard because we don't have a vehicle and carrying weights home and through public transit is more of a work out then I want haha.

My fiance and I are seriouslly talking about converting the second bedroom into a weight lifting room I'm excited about that!

Since it's free I decided to go for it, Dylan actually said he was excited to use it as he wants to work out more. If I don't like it, I can always send it back. And he may end up loving it and his birthday and our anniversary is coming up.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:57 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

I'd go for it if it's free, for sure...we're thinking about getting something similar. Let me know how it works!!
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:03 AM   #8  
Workin' It

I had a similar thing from Weider when I first started out with the strength training, used it a lot. DH did, too. We did outgrow it quickly, though. But for free, if you have somewhere to put it the it might be worth it if you actually use it for a while. Then you could resell it on Craigs list and buy some more free weights.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote