Old 09-01-2010, 11:33 AM   #1  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Default Back to basics!!

I think I have some major calorie creep going on!! I only lost two pounds in the month of August. I know the loss has slowed down, but goodness! My plan of attack had been to increase the exercise, then I heard my own advice to EVERYONE ELSE rattle in my head:

Weight loss is 20% exercise and 80% diet!!!!

I need to look at the DIET, not the exercise. The exercise is going just fine, thank you very much. It's the chocolate and nightly dessert that are doing me in!
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:37 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 208/ticker/143 - HW: 240

Height: 5'8''

I'm with you on this. I personally can't imagine where I'm getting calories that aren't acounted for but something's going on because my exercise is spot on and I only ended up with an actual loss of 1.9lbs in August. Maybe I'm nibbling without noticing? Who knows, but like you I'll be tightening things up this month!
Laureedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:01 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Congrats on your loss in August, maybe you are gaining muscle if you are exercising a lot. That weighs more. I always lose less when I'm exercising alot. Are you measuring yourself in inches too?

Good luck getting back to basics!
ElizabethG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 02:14 PM   #4  
Calorie counter

Yeah, the exercise thing I have down pat. I think I'm one of those women who puts on muscle REALLY well. I lose inches while staying the same weight. But that isn't happening right now. My pants are fitting pretty much the same. It seems like my body is just toning up right now, but not actually losing inches. My legs look better, but the measuring tape doesn't agree. Basically, I'm pretty sure that's not it. I think I have to face the fact that my eating is not where it needs to be for weight loss.

An ice cream sandwich after dinner, a handful of chocolate chips when I want them, same with almonds...that's a lot of calories right there. It's worked all along, but now it's time to tighten those up. I'm not ditching the chocolate chips! But I will count them and I will limit myself to ONE serving a day. And if I want dessert, I need to "save" for it and not every night.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:43 PM   #5  
Just keep swimming...

S/C/G: 215/ticker/140

Height: 5'8"

I definitely agree that it is way more about managing food than it is about exercise.

I know a few people who lost weight with no exercise at all (they have health issues), they just were extremely consistent with their meals.

I can afford to skip a work out now and then, but I really can't afford to eat off plan. That's the way I approach it. I give myself no slack in the food department, that's non-negotiable. I will allow more flex in exercise.
My Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:52 PM   #6  
Calorie counter

Michelle, I'm the opposite. I cut myself slack in food but will not miss a workout.

I'm struggling. I did fine all day until just before dinner, my old snacking time. I just get so hungry around 4:00. If I could have a meal then I'd be good until bedtime, but I have to feed my family and 4:00 is too early. So I ate chocolate. Still, even with the chocolate I came in around 1300 calories.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:22 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Oh yes and I agree with losing weight with no exercise, my first 35 lbs i did little to no exercise.

Also my husband has lost over 120 lbs on Atkins with no exercise and he's still losing. He has psoriasic arthritis and can barely walk, let alone exercise. I am very proud of him.

So yes diet is definitely influential!
ElizabethG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:39 PM   #8  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

Several people I work with use "I don't have time to exercise" as an excuse to eat whatever they want, and it drives me crazy. Not that I care what they do with their bodies, but they gripe about it to me--you know, "I wish I could lose weight like you, but I don't have time to exercise" when there is a McDonald's bag in their hand every day. And it doesn't matter how many times I mention "diet", all they hear is "exercise".
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:49 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 156/133/130

Height: 5'2"

Hi ladies

It's been awhile since I've been on 3fat chicks, but I've been lurking lately. I was reading your post and thought I would chime in.

I find that I can lose weight without exercise, but I lose it faster when I do exercise. I'm not a big exercise fan, but I have been walking quite a bit lately. That being said, I think that your diet has more to do with weight loss than the exercise (IMHO). Exercise is important, but if your not watching what you put in your mouth, all the exercise in the world isn't going to matter. I like calorie counting because it gives you the option to choose what you want to eat. You can pretty much eat what you want as long as it is within your calorie budget for the day .

Anyway, that's my 2 cents for the day. Hope you all have a great on plan day tomorrow!
abbyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:21 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 125/120/100

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethG View Post
Oh yes and I agree with losing weight with no exercise, my first 35 lbs i did little to no exercise.

Also my husband has lost over 120 lbs on Atkins with no exercise and he's still losing. He has psoriasic arthritis and can barely walk, let alone exercise. I am very proud of him.

So yes diet is definitely influential!
Diet helps you lose weight. Work out helps you tone your body.
chipper7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:37 PM   #11  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

I like working out because it's a great stress release and allows me to eat more and lose more. Although sometimes I'll use it as an excuse to eat more than I should. August is a pefect example - 0 lbs lost! Although I was kind of taking a break, but deep down I was hoping I'd keep losing despite the calorie creep. I'm also in tightening mode to get the scale moving again.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:18 AM   #12  
Calorie counter

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbyin View Post
Hi ladies

It's been awhile since I've been on 3fat chicks, but I've been lurking lately. I was reading your post and thought I would chime in.

I find that I can lose weight without exercise, but I lose it faster when I do exercise. I'm not a big exercise fan, but I have been walking quite a bit lately. That being said, I think that your diet has more to do with weight loss than the exercise (IMHO). Exercise is important, but if your not watching what you put in your mouth, all the exercise in the world isn't going to matter. I like calorie counting because it gives you the option to choose what you want to eat. You can pretty much eat what you want as long as it is within your calorie budget for the day .

Anyway, that's my 2 cents for the day. Hope you all have a great on plan day tomorrow!
For me, yes and no. I actually lose weight faster when I do not exercise IF you go by the scale alone. I lose inches faster when I DO exercise and that's what other people see. No one else sees me step on the scale and I don't wear my weight on forehead, thank goodness!

Good for you for walking when you don't particularly enjoy it! Walking is great exercise.

I lost my first 30 pounds without exercise and they came off rapidly. The moment I threw in exercise, the scale went completely wonky. BUT, I now lose dress sizes with a one pound loss sometimes. It's crazy! But that hasn't happened with this stall...so it's time to tighten the old belt.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:51 AM   #13  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Eliana, you mentioned that you were hungry - how's your protein and fiber looking? Because well, chocolate's a little low in that area, if ya know what I mean .

So perhaps you can add in some bulk-ier foods, some more volume, some more filling power.

Also - do you food journal? "It doesn't go in my mouth until I write it down FIRST, it doesn't go in my mouth till I write it down FIRST, it doesn't go in my mouth till I right it down FIRST." VERY useful tool. It'll smash that calorie creep to itty bitty pieces.

I know you are working hard, I'm certain of it - a little tweak here and there, kick it up a bit of a notch - take this baby home.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:29 AM   #14  
Calorie counter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
Eliana, you mentioned that you were hungry - how's your protein and fiber looking? Because well, chocolate's a little low in that area, if ya know what I mean .

So perhaps you can add in some bulk-ier foods, some more volume, some more filling power.

Also - do you food journal? "It doesn't go in my mouth until I write it down FIRST, it doesn't go in my mouth till I write it down FIRST, it doesn't go in my mouth till I right it down FIRST." VERY useful tool. It'll smash that calorie creep to itty bitty pieces.

I know you are working hard, I'm certain of it - a little tweak here and there, kick it up a bit of a notch - take this baby home.
No, I'm a bad dieter. I got pretty complacent there for a while because the weight was still coming off steadily, or if not the weight, then the inches. Now it's time to do things like journal!! You're so right. I journaled all day yesterday and was reminded just how much everything adds up.