LA Weight Loss - September 2010

View Full Version : September 2010

Kimphin
09-01-2010, 11:00 AM
Happy September all! Let's keep all the great activity from August's thread going on here.... it was great to see so many posts last month.

We have our annual back-to school meeting this afternoon, so I guess it is official - summer is over. Bummer. Hopefully our awesome weather continues for a while, though.

I had a shocker this morning, a college friend of my DH, who was in our wedding, just lost her husband to a motorcycle accident on Sunday. She has a 14 year old daughter, and 3 stepdaughters who are in their late teens/early twenties. I am just in shock at the news, and feel so terribly sad for all of them. Life is just too short, and we can't take that for granted.

JLem311
09-01-2010, 01:17 PM
hello all. late check in for me..had a busy morning.

kim-sorry to hear about your friend's husband. i guess being a military family, my DH and I have been in the mindset of never taking anything for granted.

heather314
09-01-2010, 02:33 PM
Grats Jillian on making your goal!!! :cp::cp::cb::cb::cheer2::cheer3::woohoo:
So happy for you I remember how that feels lol... hope to be there again soon!

Happy September everyone!! I love the fall so i'm excited it's finally almost here :D I survived takeoff yet again, and had a 3.8 lb loss this time!! That really made my day. Not sure i'll be able to hit the gym tomorrow or Friday as both mornings I have kids appointments and the gym only has babysitting till 12. They do have babysitting from 5-8pm though so maybe i'll be able to make it then instead if I can get around the baby's fussy time :^: I'm definately going to try. But either way i'm definately going on Saturday and Sunday. Gotta get out of the 180's!!! I never want to see that number on the scale again :D

BarbaraB
09-01-2010, 04:37 PM
Heather, Great TO result! 180's will be history soon, I'm sure.

Debbie, Have patience, the weight will go when it is ready. For me it always seems that my weight holds steady for an age and then will go through an amazing (but brief) period of dropping. So maybe, just maybe you are poised to see one of those amazing weeks.

Kim, We are having rain, so I'm sure the educators here in Oregon are having a double whammy today. Back to school and the summer suddenly seems ended. Sorry about the death of your friend. Motorcycles are just plain dangerous. Even if the person is cautious, other drivers don't see them, and it goes really badly for the motorcycle rider.

Angie
09-01-2010, 05:19 PM
Kim -- I was running around for school today too...my mom was going to watch Cameron before/after school, but she just got a job offer, so I had to scramble to get a spot in the school's program...I made it by the skin of my teeth! I am sorry to hear about your friend's DH, that's terrible.

Heather - Congrats on surviving take off :) GReat loss! You sound like a woman on a mission

Debbie -- Chin up :) It's a new month, you get new opportunities to make great decisions. You can do this :hug:

Hi Jillian, Hi Barbara!

Nicole -- If you're reading, I hope you are feeling better!

JLem311
09-02-2010, 08:43 AM
you're not even gonna believe this, but i'm at 164.4 this morning! wowzer.
i've been eating more calories, i guess my body likes this. :)

Kimphin
09-02-2010, 09:47 AM
Jillian - what is the lowest you can remember being? You are doing great!!!! Your internal machine must be working at it's highest efficiency now - congratulations!

I still haven't gotten on the sclae - I feel like I've lost weight, and I just don't want to be let down by a number, so ... F it. I am going to let my clothes tell me the story for a little while. This is a new place for me to be, and it is kind of nice. Normally I am tracking where my weekly goals are for a couple of months out, then I have to reassess, reassess,reassess - and it becomes depressing and I quit. I am not going to do that this time.

Hurricane Earl is about to severely impact one of my 2 favorite places on earth later today - The Outer Banks of NC. I am hoping for the best for the residents and business owners there - it is really amazing how far out into the ocean Hatteras is - when you are there it is like you are on a little sandbar surrounded by water. Go away Earl!

Debbie24
09-02-2010, 09:53 AM
Morning Ladies!!

How is everyone doing?

Jillian ~ You are rockin' it, WTG on 164! Looks like things are moving nicely.

Heather ~ woo hoo 3.8lbs is awesome!!

Barbara & Angie ~ Thank you for the encouragement.

With DS#3 I lost consistently while nursing and only had issues when I was closer to goal like everyone else but this time around its not going so smoothly. Little mama is doing well and has grown soo much on just mamas milk which makes me happy. I know I have my whole life to deal with my weight after i'm done nursing so for now i'm dedicating my body to her but still keeping mini goals so I dont let myself completely go.

Did I tell you girls that she's 7 months, crawling, sitting, and now even pulling up on furniture? Why does it go so fast? She's the sweetest little girl :). She just came over to cuddle so i'm mush now, LOL.

Hope you are all having a good day!

JLem311
09-02-2010, 09:58 AM
Jillian - what is the lowest you can remember being? You are doing great!!!! Your internal machine must be working at it's highest efficiency now - congratulations!

I still haven't gotten on the sclae - I feel like I've lost weight, and I just don't want to be let down by a number, so ... F it. I am going to let my clothes tell me the story for a little while. This is a new place for me to be, and it is kind of nice. Normally I am tracking where my weekly goals are for a couple of months out, then I have to reassess, reassess,reassess - and it becomes depressing and I quit. I am not going to do that this time.

Hurricane Earl is about to severely impact one of my 2 favorite places on earth later today - The Outer Banks of NC. I am hoping for the best for the residents and business owners there - it is really amazing how far out into the ocean Hatteras is - when you are there it is like you are on a little sandbar surrounded by water. Go away Earl!

i can't remember my lowest, except for the 178 in July 2008 (the last time DH was gone for 8 months) i don't know what my weight was in high school--but i think my senior year i was wearing size 12 or 14 pants.

and yes, i'm sad that the hurricane is near NC. :( i wish i still lived there, but thankful that i don't at times.
don't depress yourself, kim. just keep moving. remember its a LIFE LONG change. you're always going to have ups and downs. as long as you keep the course of being healthy, that's all that matters. screw the #'s or clothes sizes (yes, i know they matter) but the overall big picture is you're treating your body right. :hug:

JLem311
09-02-2010, 10:01 AM
Morning Ladies!!

How is everyone doing?

Jillian ~ You are rockin' it, WTG on 164! Looks like things are moving nicely.

Heather ~ woo hoo 3.8lbs is awesome!!

Barbara & Angie ~ Thank you for the encouragement.

With DS#3 I lost consistently while nursing and only had issues when I was closer to goal like everyone else but this time around its not going so smoothly. Little mama is doing well and has grown soo much on just mamas milk which makes me happy. I know I have my whole life to deal with my weight after i'm done nursing so for now i'm dedicating my body to her but still keeping mini goals so I dont let myself completely go.

Did I tell you girls that she's 7 months, crawling, sitting, and now even pulling up on furniture? Why does it go so fast? She's the sweetest little girl :). She just came over to cuddle so i'm mush now, LOL.

Hope you are all having a good day!

debbie--my last little girl who turned 1yr old at the end of april is so laid back and not quick to do much of anything. i love that about her. she's very low maintainence and always happy, unless she's tired, hungry or in pain. she's got quite the weird personality and she keeps me laughing and entertained constantly!
it's good that you're prioritizing and putting yourself and nursing first. just make sure that you're doing healthy things (like i told Kim) and you'll be just fine.

Hoochie
09-02-2010, 11:29 AM
Good morning, just checking in. My daughter went back to school today and I am thankful to get back into a bit more of a routine. I can't believe she is in high school and she is my youngest...yikes. Where has the time gone??? I was looking at Jillians pictures on facebook this morning of her kids especially the youngest one and those were some fun days.
I am going to see my Mom this weekend and we are going to can dills. I can't wait!
Then after the long weekend, I am starting a two day take off plan. I think I need to do it again and get myself a good start next week. My husband promises to help me stay away from sugars!!!!!
Anyways, have a great day everyone,

Joan

Angie
09-02-2010, 12:17 PM
Jillian -- What size are you wearing now for pants? I would have guessed you to be in a 10 or so, is that right? Feel free to tell me it's none of my business too! :)

JLem311
09-02-2010, 12:43 PM
Jillian -- What size are you wearing now for pants? I would have guessed you to be in a 10 or so, is that right? Feel free to tell me it's none of my business too! :)

i have no clue to be honest..i wear jeans from Vanity (which they have all different styles and the sizes are waist sizes like guys jeans are, and with the different style (which have different names, etc.) you could wear a size 31 in one style and then a 31 in another style would be too small..it's weird. and i haven't been jeans shopping since 2008, but my 31's(with stretch) that i bought pre-pregnancy a getting loose. and my last measurements i took in mid august, my waist was a 32.5. so i have no clue. but i'm gonna have to shop sometime in the near future. i was thinking xmas time..but maybe sooner? :)

mj2007
09-02-2010, 01:29 PM
Hey all...

I am stopping by after a while. Just wanted to share with everyone that i completed my Masters yesterday and my research is being nominated for an award :).

I am also moving to a bigger city in Alberta next month as I have a job opportunity.

Just wanted to share with you all :)

Great to know that everyone doing so well.

Take care

BarbaraB
09-02-2010, 02:34 PM
MJ, Congrats! It must feel wonderful to be done with your Masters and to be nominated for an award as well. That's great! I hope the job works out and you start a wonderful and rewarding career.

Jillian, You should go shopping and buy yourself a little something for your DH's trip home. Not that it has to be a dress, as I recall you not being big on dresses. You should have at least one thing that really shows off all your hard work with the weight loss and working out.

Angie
09-02-2010, 09:43 PM
Great idea Barbara; I think Nicole would recommend something in a nightie perhaps?

Hoochie
09-03-2010, 11:14 AM
Jillian- You should definately go buy yourself something really nice. You have worked so hard to get yourself to this point! Youre awesome!

MJ- So good for you to get your Masters! Where are you moving to in Alberta? Calgary????

I am going out of the city this afternoon to see my Mom. I need a break from home so it will be good. I had a really bad day at the office yesterday and I kinda took my bad mood home with me. My husband was not impressed with me last night. I said sorry but he seems quite mad. I indulged in a few glasses of wine last night. Feeling bad today.......

gotta run, Joan

JLem311
09-03-2010, 01:04 PM
hello all. just checking in as i've been running errands, etc for most of the morning.
i know i should buy myself something nice, but eh..i just don't feel like it. i hate shopping in general and don't feel like spending the money. i've recently bought some really cute short sleeved hoodies and bright colored tank tops to go under them from old navy, but otherwise, i really haven't gotten anything...i just can't justify spending money on new clothes when i rarely go anywhere except grocery stores, target/walmart, the school and back home. so...yeah. idk. maybe when the deployment is over i will. we'll see where i'm at for a size by then.
i don't plan on gaining while he's home either. he needs to lose a few pounds before his Oct weigh-in and PT test, so he'll be up early at the gym with the baby and i and he knows and appreciates that i don't go out of my way to cook/bake indulgent things just because he's home...he knows i like being healthy and in turn, it's good for him too and he's told me that on more than one occasion that he loves that i'm so health conscious. it helps keep him in check too. i am going to bake a cake or something while he's here for everyone (the kids, us and my former DH) to enjoy, but nothing spectacular.

so yeah. :) that's about it. hope everyone has a good weekend.

JLem311
09-03-2010, 01:16 PM
ok, i updated my ticker too..i guess i'm doing it in 5lb increments. :) works for me!

and when DH is home, i'll have him take a full length pic, so i can do a side by side comparison pic with my 320lb prego pic, then one from july 08 at 178lbs and then one from now. and photoshop them together.

JLem311
09-03-2010, 01:32 PM
i love webmd: http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/10-tips-for-losing-100-pounds?ecd=wnl_wct_090310

Mama Nicole
09-04-2010, 06:37 PM
OH CRAP...I was going to do this this a.m., but went to the apple orchard last minute and forgot. I just wanted to let KIM and everyone else know that Jillian is A OK, but will probably not be checking in very often over the next coule of weeks cuz her soldier is home on leave :) Woohooooo!

K, have to put dinner on the table. And girls.....don't slack this weekend, I want to hear about some good WI"s on Mondaym, darnit!
XOXO

Angie
09-06-2010, 02:52 PM
Joan -- Don't sweat it too much. You did it, you felt bad, you apologized...don't beat yourself up over it. Hubby will come around. :)

Jillian/Nicole -- Hurray! Enjoy your reunion with DH!! :celebrate:

mj2007
09-07-2010, 09:31 AM
Barbara - Thanks :) yes it is an amazing feeling...I am sure it takes you back to your M.Sc days!!!

Joan - yes it is! When you are student you always have your studies and research on your mind, no matter what you do!My husband says- I can have my wife back now! lol! And yes I am moving to Calgary!!! I am actually in Calgary right now. Navigation is a bit difficult because the city is so big...but I love the place! I havent got a chance to see Cross Iron mills yet...may be after I move permanently.I'll sleep over tonight and drive back to saskatoon tomorrow.Are you from Calgary too?

yay to all who doing so well! The tickers seem to be flying across! I am trying to maintain my current weight...I havent got to losing the last 4-5 lbs yet.May be once I relocate and life goes back to normal. It is pretty hard to maintain when you are travelling...I am practically living on lean cuisine and bagged salads.But hopefully...not for long!

Take care all

Kimphin
09-08-2010, 01:51 PM
Hi all, not much to post, I was just too sad to see that the last post was OVER 24 hours ago!!

Keeping on with the fight, just super busy at work.

Nicole - I did know that Pete was home, so I cut Jillian some slack, LOL.

BarbaraB
09-08-2010, 08:51 PM
Dead calm in here this week!

I got brave and got on the scale, and then I got sort of depressed. I decided that the likely scenario is that I weighed quite a bit when I started weight watchers, not that it is not working, since I can tell that I'm much thinner than I was two months ago, with about an inch or two off my waist and hips and even my bras fitting differently. I had no idea I was that bad! oh well, that is why you get on the scale more often than annually I suppose. Since I can be the queen of denial when it comes to weight gain.

Angie
09-08-2010, 09:10 PM
My weight has been jumping all over the place lately. I dropped 4lbs overnight, gained it back over the next night, then dropped 3 last night again. I thought it was just my sclae, but I tried the one at work and it's giving me the same information.

I'm really doing well with staying on plan, but I think I may be eating too few calories on many days. Phase 1 of my plan doesn't allow for a lot of creativity, so I'm pretty bored with food. It's a bit of a chore to eat, and I never thought I'd say that. So I do find it hard to meet my calorie target with the limited foods I can eat.

Kimphin
09-09-2010, 11:19 AM
Barbara and Angie - I kind of see the middle ground somewhere in between the two of you RE: scale usage!

Barbara - I actually laughed when you said "getting on a sclae more often than annually"!

And Angie - nightly WI's would drive me insane (and I am a self describe sclae-aholic!) Maybe you should cut back a little - maybe every 2 days?

And, here is the big news for me. I am starting Ideal Protein tomorrow. I know that it is drastic, and doesn't use real foods initially, but darnit, I need to do something to get this ball rolling. I am still going to hang around here, because you all are the bestest friends I've never met face to face that a girl could ever hope to have! So, I'll be checking in here while drinking my protein shakes in the AM. Wish me luck!

Angie - I just looked at your signature line and saw that your diet is fairly similar to what I will be doing - hopefully we can ketose-together!

BarbaraB
09-09-2010, 01:48 PM
Kim, Good luck with your new program! We'll be here in our distant but supportive way.

Angie, Can you weigh in first thing in the morning instead? I do think that weight varies more at night than first thing in the morning.

I hope Jillian is having a great time with her soldier!

dianem1
09-09-2010, 05:27 PM
Hi All:
I don't know if anyone is interested but I clicked on one the advertisments on this site for grab1bar and I ordered them, they are actually pretty good and the price wasn't bad either if you order more than one box you get a cheaper price and they also had a new web discount in addition to the multiple box discount and there is also free shipping I got my pacage within 3 days but I live in NY and I think the Company is also in NY.
They have the Carmel Deluxe which I loved when I used to go to the centers before they closed.

Angie
09-09-2010, 09:54 PM
I don't mind the daily weigh ins, it's honestly not driving me crazy, I just found this week so weird, but I've leveled out now, stayed the same.

Barbara -- I probably didn't describe it that way, but I am weighing myself in the mornings. I 'hop' out of bed, pee then run to the sclae.

Kim -- Yes I am ketolicious right now, please join me. I'm very excited because when I lose 3 more pounds I get to move to the next phase of my plan, and the next phase has CARBS. I feel like I've been on LAWL fast forward for a month.

Where on earth are Nicole and Joni? If Joni goes missing who stalks her down??

Mama Nicole
09-10-2010, 10:22 AM
Ha, ha, ha....Angie...you crack me UP!

I am here. I am patiently waiting for my sclae hag to cooperate. I believe I only lost 4 lbs in august, and nada so far for Sept. I am going to move that wench tomorrow a.m. though...I just know I will.

Barbara......I HATE having to face that demon after a long vacation from it. It is good you faced up. It sucks, but it is good. don't let the numbers get you down....the fact that your clothes are looser is really the best way of measuring progress :) Keep it up!

Kim....good for you for finding something to get you motivated. Who cares what it is.....I mean, unless it is really unhealthy. Sometimes we need a boost, and if what you were doing wasn't workingout, then it is time for change :) How is school? are you taking classes this semester?

Ok, I have to get moving here......so much to do.....
Hi to all that I missed :)
XOXO

Kimphin
09-10-2010, 12:37 PM
Nicole - Well, that's what I figured too. After hemming and hawing, looking at the program and reading, reading,reading about it, I figured WTH? So, Today is Day 1. At least it is something, and I am motivated to stay on it, and it is fairly easy to plan. It is pretty restrictive, but (obviously :)) I need that right now.

Yes, I am taking classes this semester. The plan is to have the masters done by next July and then the post graduate degree done by December. I'm a little sick of it!

BarbaraB
09-10-2010, 04:10 PM
Nicole, Thanks, it was good for me to "break the ice" again with the scale, as I do believe it had been close to a year since I'd done that. I just always have a hard time accepting that I've gained, even when I know that I have I tend to think it is not that bad.. I suppose that is why you get on the scale in the first place. I got on again today and was down about 3/4 of a pound, so that is reassuring. To think that I was concerned there for awhile that I didn't want to get on the scale since you have to drop a weight watchers point from your daily target for each 10 pounds you go down.... ha! I likely could have been eating more for a good long while there. Oh well, water under the bridge.

Kim, Are you feeling good so far? Do they starve you? I really, really hate starving.

Angie, Good that the weird weight fluctuations stopped. You'll have to figure out what the common demoninator is when you see it go up. I personally gain a pound for each diet soda that I drink. I don't know why, since I can have other things with as much sodium and not see the same blip up... My body just doesn't like it when I drink them, but sometimes I am weak... there is free soda in the lunch room here. Sometimes the Diet Dr Pepper calls to me... just because I decided not to drink it anymore perhaps.

Hoochie
09-10-2010, 04:23 PM
Hi all, sorry I havent been checking in much. I have been terribly busy preparing for an audit on the 24th of this month. I know its only a couple of weeks away but I need to be very organized.

MJ-Yes I live in Calgary. I am in the Northwest area. Which side of the city will you be living in? When do you move here?

Barbara and Angie- I also need to get on my scale. I check frequently accept at that time of the month of course!!! I was on it two days ago and it showed me back at 170 which freaked me out. I am going to start take-off this Sunday or Monday. I have to!!!! Tonight my sister is visiting from Saskatoon and she wants to go check out this Brazialian restaurant. that means lots of meat(protein) tonight. Tomorrow will be a low fat, low calorie day, that I do know!!!

Well have a great weekend everyone.

We miss you Jillian! Hope you are making the most of your time with your man.

Joan

tqvirgo
09-10-2010, 05:06 PM
Hi everyone, I'm new. :wave:
Started LAWL on Wednesday. Did the 2 day take off to great success - down5.6 lbs.
Am going to work my butt off to do this program right.
I look forward to getting to know you all in the process if that's ok.
have a great weekend
Tracy

Angie
09-10-2010, 08:01 PM
Welcome Tracey! :welcome:

Great job on your take off!! 5.6lbs gone forever, must feel great!

It's pretty quiet in here over the weekends, but things often pick up a bit on Monday. :)

tqvirgo
09-11-2010, 12:56 AM
Hi Angie,
I do feel great thanks!!
have a great weekend.
Tracy

Mama Nicole
09-11-2010, 09:41 AM
I am gingerly stepping back into ONEDERLAND!!!!!!!!

tqvirgo
09-11-2010, 09:11 PM
Way to go Nicole!!!!!!!! :carrot:

Angie
09-12-2010, 09:00 PM
Congratulations Nicole!! I can't wait for that day myself. I hope you do something fun to celebrate. :)

Angie
09-13-2010, 09:18 AM
Morning everyone!

I think I need some help in psycho-analyzing myself...for some reason, when people notice my weight loss and compliment me on it, I take that as permission to go off plan. Crazy right? I didn't lose weight by going off plan, but the minute I hear those things I seem to think I'm invincible and can eat anything I want. How do I change my thoughts to make hearing those things strengthen my resolve to stay ON plan? Please feel free to arm-chair diagnose.

I'm flying today to Montreal and then back tomorrow...dinner tonight should be fine, I'll order meat/veggies. For breakfast I'm going to pack some of my high fibre oatmeal, which I can eat in my room, just need boiling water. Lunch will be provided tomorrow, so likely sandwiches, but I'll cross my fingers that there will be salad and I'll stick to that.

Hoochie
09-13-2010, 10:34 AM
Nicole- Thats awesome that you are coming back to onederland! You have worked hard and you deserve it!
Welcome to the boards Tracey. 5.6 pounds is amazing for take off. I have never lost more than 4 pounds on TO. I am actually starting TO again this morning. I am so ready for it!
Angie- I am just like you. The minute I feel like I have lost a few pounds or someone notices that I am looking better, I feel like its permission to get off plan just a bit. I think it just takes time to change our thinking.
I am going away for my Anniversary next month, actually the 17th of October and I have made a deal with myself to exercise and eat healthy so I can look fabulous on holidays!
Happy Monday to everyone!

Joan

Hoochie
09-14-2010, 11:09 AM
Jeepers...where is everyone????
Feeling awesome today. Day two of take off and feeling great! Tonight I start up my boot camp again but I can only go once a week because of the times.
The other days I am going to get back on my treadmill. I will be 160 by the end of October..oh yes I will!!!!

Kimphin
09-14-2010, 11:19 AM
Hi everyone!

IP is going really well, I think I will have some good ticker action later this week. It's really OK - I am not hungry, despite the ridiculously low calorie content. There is a great variety of protein foods that I can choose from, plus 4 cups of veggies and whatever lettuce I want. Right now I am happy to not have to think about food constantly, which I have a tendency to do on other plans. I did have a few small slip ups this weekend, but nothing terrible.

Nicole - yay to being back in onederland! That's excellent!

Welcome Tracy! You did great on your TO!

Hoochie- Ah, exercise... a co worker has joined my gym so I told her I would be her "buddy" and introduce her to some of the classes - that way, I have to get my butt back there.

Hoochie
09-15-2010, 10:54 AM
Weighed in this morning at 168.6. So I have 8.6 pounds to lose before Vegas!!! I can do it!!!

Joan

BarbaraB
09-15-2010, 03:27 PM
Nicole, You didn't just step into Onderland, you leaped in with both feet! Congrats! I know you felt it was going slowly, but it is going. And you are managing to stay on track for over 3 months straight. That is great. You have to be feeling much lighter. Have your feet noticed yet? I think my feet are starting to notice and be better. I went for a 3.5 mile hike on Monday while we were camping and was still able to walk the next day. Major progress since earlier in the summer walking to starbucks caused me to limp back to the office (and it is 1 block away).

Joan, One month is not so long. I'm sure you can be totally dedicated for that long if you make a priority for yourself (sounds like you are). 8.6 pounds may or may not be gone, but at least some will. Even if it is just a pound a week that you lose, you'll still be 5 pounds down, and 5 pounds makes a difference.

Angie, I guess it is human nature to want to achieve a goal and be done with it... and when you get a compliment, it is like you've reached a goal, so let's celebrate. Also humans have celebrated by eating for milleniums.
Perhaps part of your motivation for dieting was to gain approval from others (and who doesn't want that really?) So when you get positive feedback you feel a lack of motivation since you are getting what you wanted. I think I just have had a tendency towards self destructive self indulgence. Weekends are not a reason to over indulge. Neither is because the food is free. I'm pretty sure that there is some corporate sponsored fat on my body somewhere. There are also a few free sample cellulite bulges somewhere too.

Angie
09-15-2010, 10:17 PM
Barbara -- I would like to think that you're right about dieting and losing weight to gain approval, and then when I get the compliments having less motivation. I do think that's somewhat accurate. I'm very afraid that it could be a tendancy to self destruction; that's scary to me because if it's true I don't really get it -- I'm not sure what being overweight is protecting me from, you know?

I was traveling early this week and jumped back up to 246 but I refuse to change my ticker. I'm totally bummed because I joined the latest biggest loser challenge and when I weighed in for that I was at 241.something -- dammit. I have to at least be there for the first weigh in next week, I'll feel awful if I post a gain in week 1.

Kim -- How is your new plan going?

tqvirgo
09-16-2010, 11:25 AM
Hey all,
still doing it over here. 1st week down. I'm now on rapid results and am getting sick of the food choices, so I hope the results are super rapid so I can move on! :D

Angie, considering I have been dieting since I was 8 years old, the opportunity to psychoanalize myself about the exact same issue has presented itself MANY times. For me, "once I lose the weight" has prefaced every goal I've ever set. Or " if I was thin..." being overweight, for me, has been an excuse to fail and hold myself back my whole life. if things didn't work out, it's because I'm fat. Then I realized (speaking to myself) "HOLY ****, do you any idea how much weight you've laid on losing weight". I have layered so many scary things one on top of the other on losing the weight, so now it's a terrifying prospect. What's my excuse for failure or fear of moving forward going to be when the weights not there... Losing the weight means leaving a very safe place for me.

Joan- You go!!! You can do it! plus, there's nothin like feeling sexy in Vegas...it's a sexy place! Plus think of the shopping you can do to reward yourself! I'm so jealous, I love Vegas!

Kim- I hope your plan is going well! What is IP?

Barb- I hear ya about the moving better. My biggest motivation for finally doing this weight loss thing for good was my knees. They got so bad that I wasn't sleeping at night I was in so much pain. I limped all the time, and was living on ibuprophen and tylenol. Now some days I don't need to take anything. I am working towards being able to take a yoga class without worrying about hurting my knees.

Nicole- How's the scale hag treating you??

If I missed anyone, I'm sorry Im new :)
Have a great day
Tracy

Kimphin
09-16-2010, 11:26 AM
It is going really well - it is amazing how much better I feel physically - nothing hurts in the am like it used to. I think it is totally the food intake and not any weight loss that is making me feel better. I'm not hungry at all, sometimes I have an emotional craving for food, but I have managed to get those to pass on. Grocery shopping was really the worst emotional craving that I had, and I just walked past everything. DH is going to have to give me a list of things he wants to eat or else he is going to suffer terribly while I do this, LOL - since I did not buy one thing that wasn't a veggie or a protein!

Don't worry about the 4lbs - I am sure that you can get them to come off. Water water water!!!!!

Kimphin
09-16-2010, 11:29 AM
Tracy - IP is Ideal Protein - it is a doctor/chiropractor supervised program that is low carb-ish. It was just US approved in 2008, but it has been around for many years in Canada and Europe.

Hoochie
09-16-2010, 12:11 PM
Good morning, well the scale is the same as yesterday but I figure if I get on it every morning, it will keep me from gaining. I really feel that I am in the right frame of mind right now. I have never wanted to lose weight so bad it seems. My work out on Tuesday was so brutal that i still can sit down to pee...pathetic eh!
Tonight I have company and they are all meeting for chinese food. I am going to join them but I will eat more of the vegetable and chicken dishes, no egg rolls and crap! I think I have it under control.
My water intake has made a big difference in the past few days. I have set times where I have to drink my water during the day and it seems to be working. Pea pods and cucumbers have become my favorite snacks.
31 more sleeps till Vegas.....and yes Tracey, I really want to feel sexy!
Barbara- I know I need to be thankful even if I lose 5 pounds. I guess I am aiming pretty high but who knows, maybe I can do it. If I could lose 2.5 pounds a week, that would be amazing!
Have an awesome day!

Joan

JLem311
09-16-2010, 12:24 PM
hey everyone. just thought i'd take a quick second to post and say hi. DH's leave time has been great. he leaves to go back on sunday. :( but it's been great having him here, even if it is a short time.
i put together 3 different pictures of myself to show the changes..the first picture is from 2003 when i was pregnant with my DD and at 320lbs, the second picture is from 2008 and i was around 190lbs and the third picture is from this month, Sept 2010. lots of differences..especially with the hair! :)

hope everyone is doing well. i'll post more next week.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e161/hotwife1221/comparison.jpg

Kimphin
09-16-2010, 02:38 PM
Wow Jillian, that is amazing! You look absolutely AWESOME now! LOL. Glad you and Pete had a good reunion. Sorry he has to go back, but hopefully this will be the last time for a loooong looong time that you will have to be apart.

tqvirgo
09-16-2010, 03:34 PM
Oh my Goodness you look wonderful!
and far less pregnant!!:D

BarbaraB
09-16-2010, 05:59 PM
Jillian, I can't believe your hair is already that long! You are unrecognizable in that first picture. You've really undergone a huge change, and you have every right to feel so proud. Sad that the leave is already dwindling, but you are amazing at being a proud army wife.

Angie, I don't know if it is really being purposely self destructive when I indulge, even if the end result is self destructive. It is just a bad form of self indulgence. Really to be thin in our culture takes a firm commitment, as food surrounds us in a way that it didn't even just a few generations ago (when folks were thinner). I had an LAWL counselor that would say to me, ask yourself what do you really want. Then ask yourself are you willing to make the changes needed to get that. So next time you are about to indulge you just have to ask that question. If I stop and do that, I make so much better choices, and it is such a simple thing... what do I really want? (99.9% of the time it is not that food item)

Go Kim Go! Hope this IP thing sparks your motivation and gets you to where you want to be.

Tracy, So great that your knees are feeling better. I was watching some show on cable TV once that was calculating the force on the knees of a man who was close to 500 pounds and it was amazing that he could even walk really. You know, I have a lot of conflicting feelings about expecting life to be so much better or perfect when you lose weight. On one hand, you will still be you and all your faults and insecurities will stil be there. On the other hand, our society is so harsh on those who are obese. Especially women. So there may be more opportunies open up. You may get hired easier when you are thinner than fatter, because people assume that the overweight are not going to have the energy to do the job well or that they will have more health issues. Which is not entirely unfair either.

Angie
09-16-2010, 09:28 PM
Tracy -- That may be it for me too...without the fat what could I blame for when things don't go my way? Your dogs are super cute by the way!

Kim -- I've noticed too that I'm never hungry on my high protein plan. Often I eat less calories than I should; it's hard to get in a lot of calories when I'm following the plan to a 't'.

Joan -- I did the same thing with chinese food at a gathering recently. I ate only the chicken/veggie dishes and I overdosed on water...it was fine, I didn't even see the expected water retention gain the next day or two.

Jillian -- Love your transformation pics! Enjoy your last few days with your DH; how long will it be before he gets leave again?

Barbara -- I used your strategy just tonight, I wasn't hungry, just feeling the munchies a bit. I opted for a sugar free jello rather than making a poor decision I'd regret in the morning.

I'm going out with a friend for dinner/movie tomorrow -- it's going to take everything I have to NOT have popcorn, but I have to do it. Send me some willpower vibes please!!

Kimphin
09-17-2010, 09:20 AM
Well, week one is over, and I am down 8.2lbs. And that is with us going out to dinner last night! If I were to grade myself for last week I would give be a B+ - since I had a few wanderings over the weekend. I am very pleased with that!

Angie - here -:dust: Funny - last night at bowling, my friend went into the bar and got some popcorn. It kind of smelled gross (it was the BOWLING alley, after all) and I had no desire for it, yet at one point I caught my hand reaching for it. I didn't want to eat it, it was just habit. I don't know if this new found resolve of mine is because the program is new to me, or because it really does work that well, LOL.

Barbara - You are so right about having to be ultra conscious about food intake. I always laugh when I read about actresses who claim that they eat really well - "and my typical breakfast is one hardboiled egg with olive oil drizzled on it" (from a Shape magazine article on Marisa Tomei). I laughed my a$$ off at that one. I don't want to get to that point, but I do want to feel better about myself. I am 100% addicted to golf, and my weight is holding me back in certain ways from getting to the next level, AND, preventing me from buying cute outfits(darn it!). It has only been in the last 2 years or so that I have felt that I am limiting myself from fully accomplishing something because of my weight, and I don't like the feeling. I don't want to be known as "that really good woman golfer - you know, the fat one". Ugh.

Mama Nicole
09-17-2010, 10:39 AM
Hi girls.

Sorry I have been MIA lately.....DH is out of town, AGAIN, and, on a more exciting note, my DD, Bethany, was accepted into the Jr. Miss St. Louis Pageant, and I have been busy making brochures for her and helping her to get sponsors...along with the rest of my regular chores....so there has been very little time for social computer stuff.

KIM...wow, keep up the good work woman. I honestly barely read the posts of the last few days, but I looked for your ticker to see how your new plan is treating you. Looks flippin' fantastic.

You know, a side note here......whenever I see any of you guys on facebook, I always get a warm fuzzy feeling. You guys are my true cyber friends :) xoxo

And Jillian...........wow.....it's like two different people. And you know what......it is the perfect illustration on the battle of the fat girl and the skinny girl. I think Pete needs to make a cartoonish like thingie with these pics, deplicting the daily sturggle between the two that live within each of us.

Ok, so, now I am going to show you all the press release for Bethy, and then I am going to give you info to help sponsor her if you like. I am not all in on the pageant thing, but I am pretty excited for her to attempt this at 15. If she were younger, I think I would have a problem with it, but this will be such great experience for her........and, there is NO swimsuit competition. It truly does seem like they are judged mostly on personality :) So anywhoo, here goes:
http://inlinethumb47.webshots.com/31598/2965522660099958805S600x600Q85.jpg (http://family.webshots.com/photo/2965522660099958805JjWcVf)

Ok, and now:
If you are interestedin sponsoring Bethy, you can do it one of three ways. You can let me know how much you would llike to donate, and mail a check to us, you can send it via paypal to my email address, or you can call 1-800-565-9015 and give her full name and/or this number: ACC-25191. If you do decide to donate, please let us know so we know when it is time to stop looking for sponsors :) If you can do so before Sunday a.m., that would be wonderful :)

Bethany Massie
3106 Onondaga Drive
Maryland Heights, MO 63043
nicolemassie@charter.net
Thanks,
Nicole

Ok, girls, have a great weekend :) And lets all strive to lose 0.2 lbs by Monday a.m. :)
XOXO

Mama Nicole
09-17-2010, 10:41 AM
p.s. and yeah, Barbara....I have been treating myself to healthy eating since June 4....and it feel AWESOME! :)

Kimphin
09-17-2010, 11:28 AM
Nicole - I had briefly scanned over your FB post where you said something about "pageant mom" and I couldn't figure out WTF you were talking about! CONGRATULATIONS TO BETHY!!!!!!!! Wow - she is beautiful (as they all are). How much do you need to raise?

BarbaraB
09-17-2010, 08:32 PM
Kim, 8.2 pounds is great. I know what you mean. I always thought my weight was mostly a cosmetic problem until my feet started acting up. Then all the sudden reading that my problem occured mostly in middle aged women who were overweight or obese, and when I was maintaining a lower weight the problem went away and when I regained it, bingo back again. Just one of those things that my body is saying OK, stop it now... Not that I would feel that I was eating "heartily" with one egg drizzled with olive oil, although that does sound tasty right now.

Nicole, She is so beautiful! How exciting! You are about a month longer than me at being... well... let's call it accountable. The WW online is good for me for that. I'm almost to my 3 month commitment, and I think I'll do another month or two. I do like the flexibility.

Mama Nicole
09-17-2010, 08:36 PM
Kim, don't know for certain, but for sure a minimum of $500. If she raises more than that, they give her the balance to put towards her costumes and travel expenses and what not. She has to raise the first half by Sunday, and I am not sure how much she has so far. I am trying to let her be responsible for raising the funds, for the most part. But it is not easy. If she raises at least $250 by Sunday, then she will take part in a training session and photo shoot. How fun for a 15 yo girl, hey? Anway, then it is on to the actual pageant, where she has to interview with a panel of judges, then there is a casual wear comp. and a formal wear comp, and then......the pick the mystery question from a hat and answer it live, in front of the audience. NO SWIM SUIT CONTEST! I never thought the whole pageant thing was something I would be supportive of, but is is a really interesting opportunity for her to express herself and built her self confidence and public speaking skills. I also was very happy about that fact that she has to find sponsors.....for a couple of reasons, but mostly because it kind of makes her take ownership of the financial burden....or at least makes her aware and have to work for the opportunity a bit....even if it is simply asking people to sponsor her. I think it makes it more real, you know. Nothing in life comes easy or free.....so, if nothing else comes from this, it will help her learn that. Ok, anyway......way more info than you asked for....but you know how I get ;)
XOXO

Mama Nicole
09-17-2010, 09:57 PM
Oooo, girls, I am really loving the psycho talk latelly. I love what you said, Tracy, about laying the fear between the fat. What a lightbulb that is for me. i have hidden my awesomeness under fat many times in my life :) Especially in the last 5 or 6 years. When I met DH, I was thin and kicking butt and taking names.....a straight A student in Nursing school, etc. Now, I am not sure why I have let myself get so unhealthy, but it began with a pregnancy, two miscaigrages and another pregnancy all within a little over two years. And then....I think I kind of just lost me in the mix for a spell.

I think I was also insecure about myself in my marriage at first....I had been divorced once, and I was pretty scared. I think gettting a little chunky kind of insured that no other dudes would notice me...and if noone else noticed me, then I wouldn't have to deal with a jealous man....which is not my current DH at all....but I just didn't know that at the time.

So much of it has to do with me....and so little to do with what is around me. Sure, tragedy or family additions can catch us off gaurd now and then, but a healthy woman puts herself in check way sooner than 80 pounds later. Live and learn :)

I feel good now, though. And it is not because I am thin now...I am far from it....but because I am taking better care of myself and putting me in the list of priorities, and being ok with that. It feels good. And, like Barbara....I got serious this time cuz my foot is a freakin' nightmare. It has limited me beyond belief. My 35 lb loss has not seemed to help it yet, but I will not give up. It just has to make a difference pretty darn soon.

Oh, and get this....I joined the YMCA yesterday. Not sure how that is going to work out for me with my stupid idiotic foot, but my kids will love it until I am all healed up. I may try swimming, although the changing and sogginess is sure a pain in the butt.

Ok, I am going to end this book here....I am super nannying my 5yo son, who seems to havethave forgotten that bedtime means bedtime. Give me strenght.
xoxo

Angie
09-19-2010, 10:27 AM
Kim -- You are doing great on your new plan, congratulations! I think success is a great motivator. I turned down a lovely looking chocolate cake last night and hardly gave it a second thought. It's just not worth spoiling my great work this week.

Nicole -- How exciting for Bethany and for you guys too! I would love to experience that whole process, and I think you are right on the money, there are lots of learnings for her in the process regardless of the outcome. You have been doing so so well over the last few months, you are really on a mission. I feel the same way now, I can weigh whatever I want to weigh, it will just take time and perseverance.

Everyone, please feel free to add me on facebook -- my full name is Angie Linton, you'll know it because it has the same pic as here. :)

mj2007
09-19-2010, 10:53 PM
Hey All

Joan - I am moving to Calgary on Sept 30 and we'll be living in SW part.Hope everything is going well with your audit.

Angie - Passing on cakes need serious will power. I would have taken a bite :D

Barbara - i am glad WW is going well for you.

Kim - 8.5 lbs is friggin awesome!

Nicole - You have every reason to be proud. Hope she wins!!!

Everything going well on my side ...I am just nervous about the move. I am especially stressed out about finding a gym that is good but wouldn't hurt my budget either. So much work to do and so little time left...

Take care all.

Angie
09-20-2010, 09:08 AM
MJ I have a few friends who have joined the YMCA, I think it's a very good deal if you have kids and buy the family pass because it includes free lessons for things like swimming, martial arts and other classes. Also, I think Goodlife has some pretty reasonable rates.

I'm staying home with my DS today -- sore throat and he's a little warm too.

Mama Nicole
09-21-2010, 08:50 AM
Morning ladies :)

I am up a tiny bit this a.m., so I am going to be very strict for the next three days, and then back to my normal plan. I have been kind of doing that over the last couple of weeks.....nothing drastic...just lowing the carbs a lot and sticking to low fat, low calorie choices. I have kind of come up with a three day menu so it is think free, and it is working out pretty good.

Kim....how are you holding up?

Thanks everyone, for the comments about my girl. Here is a pic from her training class on Sunday.
http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/31953/2434361150099958805S425x425Q85.jpg (http://family.webshots.com/photo/2434361150099958805dxeRwo)

Anyway, I think she has a real chance at winning...I was checking out the completition, and all the girls there were polite, but Bethany is so genuine, and naturally pretty...and yes, I know she is my girl....but she really is.

Oh, I almost forgot....DD and I got into a car accident on the way to the training class, and it is a long story, but to highlight....we are both ok....my foot and neck are jacked up, but I went to the doc yesterday, and they are not broken. Yay! ha. My car is destroyed. We were hit from behind...never even saw it coming..we were traveling at about 60 m.p.h. and this girl just clocked us, knocked us into the wall, and sent us spinning. Whatever. I am mad.

Ok, have to run....but hang in there everyone, and work hard today. We HAVE to really work hard to get make ourselves a priority. And P.S. We can do this :)
XOXO

Angie
09-21-2010, 09:41 AM
Hey Nicole -- I'm glad you guys were okay following your accident. Your daughter is simply beautiful, and if she has a personality to match I think she's a sure bet.

I'm home with DS again today, he's still got a temp and a sore throat, so I get to try to work from home while waiting on him...and oh yeah, I have to keep myself out of here!

Where's Joni and JM these days? Who is going to hunt them down?

JLem311
09-21-2010, 10:14 AM
hello all. did ya miss me?? ;)
just thought i'd check in and say hi. DH left on sunday morning. 8 months to go. we took lots of pictures and had a great, relaxing time on his leave. i still kept up with my great eating and workouts..it was nice to have a workout buddy during the 2wks too.

hope everyone has been doing well!

juliemarie
09-21-2010, 12:10 PM
Angie-I'm here, lurking . . . .you all know what that means!

I'm basically done with all my appts-just a little bit of followup with my sleep disorder doctor. I have severe sleep apnea (over 40 times/hour) and will somehow have to figure out how to deal with the CPAP. I may ask for a prescription for some type of anti-anxiety so I can hopefully not have any panic attacks with the thing.

What I haven't managed to do is lose the 16lbs that I need to lose. I'm struggling hard with my head hunger, fatigue (see above-no wonder I'm tired and cranky!), knee pain and now back pain from over-compensating for the knee. I joined the gym again-the only thing my knee will tolerate is the elliptical but I still aggravate it even doing just 10 minutes on the thing. It's a bit of a vicious circle-the things that would help me lose weight and stay on track (sleep and exercise) are somewhat eluding me do to the fact I need to lose weight! GRRR . .

I've decided to kick it into gear and do that Every Other Day Diet again that I tried last winter and it worked-it's just not a great long term option. I just need to plan better and stop making excuses!

If I can get down about 10lbs-I think I can probably start the next step-insurance verification and meeting with the surgeon.

Hoochie
09-21-2010, 03:41 PM
MJ- Wow you are moving to the complete opposite side of the city from me. Good luck with your move.

Angie- Good for you passing on cake. I had to make a cake for one of my staffs birthdays on Monday and she wanted chocolate. I failed and had a slice!!! I always bake a cake for my staff members when its their birthday. Its like something that I started that I can't get out of now......haha

Kim- Look at you losing all that weight...you are awesome!

Nicole- Wow your daughter is really beautiful. I hope she wins!

Jillian- Your picture shows your face to be so thin. You really have come a long way with your weight loss and your new lifestyle. Your such an inspiration! I am so happy to hear that you had an awesome time with your DH. You deserved it.

JM- I think I need to team up with you. I really am inspired to lose weight and I am exercising.For the most part I watch what I eat but I am stuck at 168.6 and I cant seem to get that scale to move. Its so important to me but something is not working.

Well I am off to boot camp again tonight...rain or snow!! Yes we had some snow this morning.....frigging Calgary weather.

Have a great day everyone!

Joan

juliemarie
09-21-2010, 04:11 PM
Joan- the every other day diet is a good way to jump start weight loss-but you could basically do it by alternating very low carb days with a day that you have good carbs or whatever you're craving at your midday meal. The EODD is a little more complicated-but essentially you're mixing up your calories day to day because your body gets "lazy" when you're eating the same calories every day.

Another trick of the diet is to eat 1 apple/100lbs 30 minutes before lunch. It will fill you up and keep you from overeating (eat the apples even on low carb days). Plus they're good for you and the chewing tricks your brain . . . That was a hard thing for me to do long term-I like apples-but 3/day was just too much.

Angie
09-21-2010, 05:43 PM
JM & Joan -- You could try my plan for a jump start...I am NEVER hungry:

These foods are unlimited:

Meat -- even red meat and pork as long as it's lean
Poultry -- with or without skin
Lunchmeats such as ham and turkey providing they are low sodium and low fat
Fish, even the fatty ones
Egg whites
Low sodium chicken stock
Leafy green vegetables
Shirataki noodles
Cottage cheese
Olive oil or Canola oil
Coffee/Tea

These foods are limited:

All other veggies, except those that grow under the ground, maximum of 4 cups total per day
1 egg yolk per day
1 canned fish per day providing it is packed in water
garlic and ginger for cooking
milk or cream for coffee, 1 tsp per cup
no fat ricotta cheese
condiments such as ketchup, up to 1 tsp per meal

Not permitted in phase 1 (will be introduced later)

fruits
tomatoes, onions, vegetables that grow under the ground
dairy products
breads and cereals

I followed this to a T, I started at 260 lbs and two weeks later I had lost 12 lbs, I've heard of others who lost 14. Some ladies on this plan told me they started out eating 2-3 chicken breasts at a meal, and they still lost weight!

juliemarie
09-21-2010, 06:10 PM
hmm-maybe I'll try that-I'm always hungry on the low carb days. So-a vinagrette is allowed for a salad dressing?

I'm actually having a good food day so far! Now just need to keep it up for the evening. Evening snacking is my downfall-I like the idea of being able to nibble on lunchmeat and cottage cheese.

Angie
09-21-2010, 06:34 PM
Yes, I forgot to mention that you can also have low sodium soya sauce, white vinegar or apple cider vinegar, lemons for cooking...so those combined with the olive oil became my salad dressing.

Some other items I forgot -- half salt to taste, unlimited sugar free jello, up to 4 sugar free popsicles per day (these are just before bed snacks). If I have a carb fit once I day I can have high fibre crisp bread (2 pieces) with zero fat cream cheese. That normally gets me through.

My 1 cheat that hasn't slowed me down (I think) is that I will use a few tablespoons of sodium free tomato sauce to mix in with ground beef or turkey, to make a kind of meat sauce that I eat with just a teaspoon of Parmesan. I also do an eggplant parmesan, grill or broil the eggplant with oil, then top with ricotta/egg mixture and a tsp or so of tomato sauce and some parm then bake again for about 30 minutes. So so so good. :T

juliemarie
09-21-2010, 06:40 PM
wow-that sounds good!

Hoochie
09-22-2010, 12:24 PM
Thanks Angie. I might try that for a week and see how it goes. I am not sure how my body would react to a real low-carb diet but maybe its worth a try.

Last night I went to my boot camp even though I wasnt feeling my best. It was so hard!!! There are only four of us in the class and the other girls are definately more fit than me so its tough because I really have to push myself to keep up. I have always gone with someone I knew but nobody wanted to join with me this time so I am doing it alone so to speak.

Today I am feeling really good. I didnt get on the scale but my body feels good. I am sure its from my killer work out last night!!!

Have a great day everyone!

Joan

Kimphin
09-22-2010, 01:37 PM
A couple of other tips for low-carb dieting - you should keep your maximum heart rate in the 60-70% zone when exercising to maximize fat burning (as opposed to muscle-burning). it takes approximately 3 days to get the excess carbs out of your system, so expect to feel cranky and ready to kill until day 3 (I didn't really have this, but many have). Water water water water water.

I feel good still. I had a few carbs on Saturday, so I had to regroup on Sunday (see cranky note above :( ) but all is back to being good. I am soooo not hungry, I need to make myself have the veggies that are required. We will see what fortunes the sclae holds for me on Friday.

Nicole - sooo glad that you and Bethy are OK - high speed accidents don't always end up that way. Sorry that the wheels are toast - but they are designed to keep you safe, so it did its job!

Class tonight with a presentation to give - argh.

Kimphin
09-22-2010, 01:39 PM
Oh, made a yummy chicken dinner last night - herbs du provence, garlic, salt, pepper, a few dashes of hot sauce, mashed into a paste and rubbed onto the chicken breast. Quite yummy! Can't have BBQ sauce, so this was good!

Angie
09-22-2010, 09:37 PM
I'm pretty stoked today, I went to my official weigh in and my Dr. moved me to phase 2 of my plan; that means...I GET TO EAT CARBS!!! Real ones! Only 2 per day (ie/ 2 slices of WW bread) but I also get some new veggies and fruit and dairy on my list -- I'm thrilled to pieces. I'm going to be very moderate with my change though, I really don't wan to slow down my losses.

Kim - Yum, your chicken sounds awesome!!

Joan - I love that feeling after a good workout - it always makes me feel healthy and proud of myself.

JLem311
09-23-2010, 09:52 AM
just thought i'd stop by and say hi really quick this morning. hope everyone is doing well!

juliemarie
09-23-2010, 01:17 PM
Good morning everyone!

Angie-thanks so much for jump-start--i know I've only finished one day-but it went well, I feel great and I'm down a couple of pounds already.

Something clicked on Tuesday-I picked up my CPAP and the appt went great-I didn't freak out and the guy was impressed at how well I handled it. That coupled with the new diet plan (which seemed feasible), and what else I don't know-but my head just clicked into gear. Do you know what I mean? This always happens with me-I can't just set a date and start a new diet. The stars have to align or something with me. And I can never pin down just WHAT it was that did it either. weird.

So-even though I was just supposed to wear the CPAP for an hour every night while awake (reading, TV, etc) for the first week-it was going so well I decided to go for it. The first night I slept for 2 hrs at a time before I would wake up, rip it off, and readjust. I'd be awake for 20 minutes or so and try again. The hardest part is that i'm a stomach sleeper and I can't really do that with the mask. My back was KILLING me when I woke up-the side sleeping was putting pressure on my lower back.. Even though most people would call that a crummy night's sleep-that's fairly normal for me PLUS I actually slept great when I did sleep.

Yesterday was awesome-I wasn't tired, didn't fall asleep at my desk and was pretty darn cheerful all day.

Last night I tried arranging pillows so I'm sort of on my back and sort of on my side (put pillows behind me) so it relieved my back somewhat but it hurt other muscles. I woke up a couple of times to switch sides (quite the production!) but it went better than the first night. Though I was stiff and sore from not moving when I woke up. Once I worked that out I feel great again. Oh-and I woke up earlier than normal, totally awake. That hasn't happened in ages. Josie yells at me every morning to get moving. It's like I'm the teenager and she's the mom. ;)

I'm all set with the exception of the CPAP compliance report which I'll get in about a month (they read the chip in the machine to make sure I'm using it and it's working)-then I should be able to meet with the surgeon and schedule a date! I think I'll have the weight lost by then too.

It's so nice to FEEL good again (at least mentally-but back is still messed up!). What a change when you don't stop breathing 40 times per hour at night!

Kimphin
09-23-2010, 03:55 PM
Very happy for you JM! Breathing=good!

BarbaraB
09-23-2010, 08:08 PM
JM, I think you just may be on an upward spiral. More sleep means easier weight loss, which means less pain which means more sleep. The more I weight, the worse I snore, and I do wake myself up. My DH will actually put on ear plugs sometimes, and it is hard to not be embarassed by that. Another reason to lose weight and be alarmed that I regained.

I've been just kind of hanging out at about the same number on the scale since I started weighing myself. Thought about it and decided that I have to cut down on the amount we are eating out. I think it is too easy to underestimate the calories when you can't measure it. Plus it is really super hard to find anything that is not a just a lot of points. If the scale has still not moved by the first of October then I'll reevaluate.

Angie
09-23-2010, 10:40 PM
That coupled with the new diet plan (which seemed feasible), and what else I don't know-but my head just clicked into gear. Do you know what I mean? This always happens with me-I can't just set a date and start a new diet. The stars have to align or something with me. And I can never pin down just WHAT it was that did it either. weird.
JM - I know exactly what you mean; I've been wanting to get my own butt into gear for some time but couldn't seem to get started. I've had a referral to the metabolic specialist (my diet Dr) since December, but I only called to make the appt in Auugst! All of a sudden it was a priority and I felt motivated and driven. I couldn't make it happen, it had to just 'happen'. I'm so glad the CPAP is working for you!

My day was so busy I've been on the go since 6:15 a.m. and just got home now.

Definition of a bad idea (aka the bad news): On your first day of eating carbs and dairy after 6 weeks of practically zero carbs and dairy; go out for dinner to an Italian restaurant, eat foccacia bread with olive oil & balsamic vinegar, and half a plate of risotto. Let's just say my body did not appreciate the sudden change. :o Also, at the time this feeling hit me we were through with dinner and watching a show at the comedy club. Although I was DYING with stomach pains, I refused to get up in the middle of the show to use the washroom...I didn't want to be a subject in the show!

Now, the good news out of all this excitement for my poor digestive tract; I just weighed myself and I weigh less now than I did this morning! :dizzy: I hope it sticks overnight.... Plus, I had a ball at the comedy club...it felt great to laugh for almost 2 hour straight.

I hope you guys had a super day.

BarbaraB
09-24-2010, 05:55 PM
Angie and JM, It is strange how you can struggle with really getting started and then just one day something shifts and you are READY to do it. Unfortunately then I do it and have decent results only to have a time when the weight loss slows down and I get frustrated and go back to my bad habits because "its not working for me". Stupid move... Like whatever I lost I get to keep no matter what I eat. So not true. I don't know how many times I have to regain weight to get over that feeling that whatever is lost is gone for good, since it is not... It only gets easier to gain it back as you get older. And my pounds are friendly, they seem to go out and recruit friends to join them every time I send them away.

juliemarie
09-25-2010, 01:11 AM
Did someone mention the low carb "crankies"? Cuz I'm about to rip people's heads off about now. Especially heads made of grilled cheese sandwiches or pancakes or mmmmmmm . .wait, what were we talking about?

Almost done with day 3 of Angie's plan (you did this for 6 weeks? You go girl!). . . not always sticking to the low sodium part but otherwise pretty good. Hopefully my mood changes soon! And the cravings go away . .

Angie
09-26-2010, 01:39 PM
Today I'm cooking scrumptious on plan food -- chicken & veg soup on the stove, pork tenderloin in the slow cooker, and our side dish tonight will be a spinach, mushroom and artichoke casserole. :T I loooove cooking!

Barbara -- I usually do the same, but this time I'm forcing myself to be more determined. I know that staying on plan and keeping myself moving WILL work eventually, and obviously going off plan doesn't work -- so I'm trying to keep my mind thinking logically this time and not as emotionally as I normally would. So far so good, but please remind me of this if I need it in the next weeks!

JM -- If you can find some high fibre crispbread you can have a piece every 4 hours. I used to eat it with ultra low fat cream cheese and it felt like a cracker so helped with the carb crazies.

Kimphin
09-27-2010, 11:17 AM
OK. lost my previous post darnit!

Carb cranky today. Low grade headache. I did it to myself - with a little assistance from SIL, who for last night b-day dinner for FIL served chicken cordon carb, mashed carbs, carby veggies, and freshly baked carbs. Ugh! Up until now I have been fastidious about researching the best dining choices when we go out. Never did I expect her to have ) options for dinner. My bad.

Lost 4 lbs last week, very happy! Up 1 today thanks to happy carbday dinner, but will have that gone by tomorrow.

Hoochie
09-27-2010, 01:04 PM
Morning! Wow I need to get back on track after my weekend. Last Thursday I found out that one of my staff was stealing from me so I fired her. Friday I had an audit! Saturday I went to a hockey game with a friend who is going thru depression and last night I went to my sons hockey game that didnt end until 11pm. It's been a few crazy days for me.
To top everything off, I am trying very hard to avoid being sick. I feel the sniffles and little coughs coming my way. I started pumping the medication on Saturday morning but its still trying to get to me. I cant quite shew this cold away yet!
Its going to be quite a week as I am so short staffed in my office. I am praying that I find a new employee quick!!!
Well I should run as I have many resumes to go thru......

Joan

juliemarie
09-27-2010, 02:12 PM
Good morning ladies!

It hasn't even been a week on Angie's plan and I've lost 6 or 7 lbs (can't remember where I started)-so I'm at the weight I was when I was told to lose 16 lbs for surgery. ;) I'm being very bad about the low sodium thing with the exception of using the potassium salt. And water-need to increase that. So-probably still hanging on to some water weight.

Angie-I used your idea for "eggplant parm" and essentially made a lasagna with layers of roasted eggplant, ricotta, and beef mixed with some spaghetti sauce (it's all i had!). I also sprinkled a little parm/mozz on top. So-a bit of a cheat with the sauce and tiny amount of dairy but very yummy. I'll try to find some of those crackers to keep the crazies away. So far-I've grabbed a string cheese (yeah, yeah) and it's helped and I figure just not THAT horrible of a cheat!

I just informed my boss of what I've been up to and he was SO great and encouraging about it. Like I said-I'm in the field of research and know how hard your body works against you to maintain a weight loss (I'm talking morbidly obese people-most if not all of you are/were NOT morbidly obese so please don't think I'm being negative about your journeys) so he totally gets it and thinks it's the only way to go for me. He's seen all my fluctuations over the years. What a relief!

Kim-sucks about the family dinner-you always figure there will be SOMETHING you can eat-salad, veggies, chicken, etc . ..

Joan-sorry about the employee thing-I know my parents (who own their own business) have had things happen over the years and when you run a small business your employees are like family. It truly feels like a personal betrayal.

Kimphin
09-27-2010, 03:48 PM
JM - congrats on the loss! I don't know what it is about it, but I feel so much better physically without carbs. As in, today I feel like crap and can't wait to feel good again. Keep up the great work!

Joan - That sucks about your employee. Hopefully the next hire is much better!

BarbaraB
09-27-2010, 06:01 PM
Joan, Sorry you were stolen from. It is hard enough to keep a business going in bad economic times without that kind of a thing happening. The good thing is that there are lots of excellent people currently looking for a job.

JM, You are right about morbid obesity being a tough nut to crack. I know you are a researcher and have likely seen some of the statistics of what being obese increases your risk for getting. My doctor told me the other day that in the Pacific Northwest it is not one out of 8 or 9 women who get breast cancer, it is 1 out of 7! I guess that lack of vitamen D is deadly. I recently read that being obese increases your risks for various cancers 1.5 to 5 times, and for breast cancer the risk tends to be fairly linear, meaning the heavier you are, the greater risk you are courting. To say nothing of the heart disease and diabetes risks. It is only prudent to take action.

juliemarie
09-27-2010, 06:49 PM
yikes-that reminds me I need to take my vit D supplement. In the giant blood workup I had to do-the only abnormality was that I was vit D deficient.

Angie
09-27-2010, 10:36 PM
Kim -- Same thing happened to me this weekend. We went for dinner at my aunt's place, she lost 50-60 lbs a couple of years ago and had been maintaining. She ALWAYS has healthy stuff to eat and lots of veggies. Not this time, it was lasagna, or if you felt like something lighter, spaghetti...and of course, garlic bread...oh and chocolate cake. Geeee--zuzzzzzz (pardon my french). I ate sauce without the pasta, cheese and dill pickles and gained 2-3 pounds! I feel bloated now when I eat bad carbs, bleh.

Joan -- Sounds like a rough weekend! Well, it's Monday, fresh start day. Good luck with the resumes. :)

JM -- I'm so glad the plan is working for you. I think it is tough, but the losses are great and really keep me motivated. Your eggplant lasagna sounds delicious! If you can find fat free cheese, you are allowed about an ounce, so that can be melted on top of things and you'll still be adhering to plan.

Trainer kicked my butt tonight, but I feel great about it now. At the time I hated her and wished terrible things would happen to her, but now we're good. ;)

Angie
09-28-2010, 10:18 AM
Good morning everyone. We are on a PA (professional activity) day here today. It is a rainy cold ugly day, but it's a day off school (err...work for me) so DS and I are heading to a movie this afternoon -- The Legend of Ga'Hoole -- about owl warriors or something like that.

We started off by taking the dog to the vet for a sore paw. Poor little guy broke his nail right down to the quick and it's infected. The vet had to cut off the rest of it and we'll try him on antibiotics. If the swelling and redness doesn't go down we'll have to have him sedated and they will completely remove the rest of the nail. He took his pill and is wearing the cone-head thingy to keep him from licking his foot, he's a little mopey, but he's being a trooper.

Ate one of my 2 carbs for the day at breakfast so if I want to have 2 cups of popcorn at the movies (AND I DO!) I have to figure out what tonight's carb free dinner will be. I'm thinking taco salad or chicken breasts covered in mushrooms, onions and peppers.

juliemarie
09-28-2010, 11:18 AM
Are you allowed tomatoes yet? Because I can eat taco salad for several days in a row-but need some sort of salsa-ish dressing. Oil and vinegar doesn't cut it!

JLem311
09-28-2010, 03:11 PM
hey everyone just wanted to stop by quick and say hi!

Angie
09-28-2010, 04:44 PM
JM -- I was allowed tomatoes in moderation once I lost 20lbs. I still cheated and used tomato paste in my first stages, I used it with the ground beef to make my 'taco meat'. I think the reason they are off limits must have to do with the natural amount of sugar in them, but I don't know for sure.

Kimphin
09-29-2010, 10:15 AM
Yeah, tomatoes are high on the glycemic index - high in sugars. Restricted item for my plan too. :( However, I used 2 TBSP in my taco salad and I didn't fall out of ketosis or anything, I just wouldn't go eating a ton of it.

Angie - poor puppy! I hope he rebounds soon. I've seen that owl movie hyped here - but maybe they have a different title in the US? because that didn't sound like the title.

Well, everything is back on track after the weekend. I was hungry yesterday afternoon - and had to go grocery shopping since DH was down to eating nothing but saltine crackers as a snack (poor guy!??? of course, I believe that he may know where the grocery store is - informed him that he could stop in anytime and buy whatever he liked!) That was a struggle. Everything off plan looked soooo goood! This morning I woke up and feel amazing again (hello ketosis!) and am not hungry or craving anything. Whew!

School tonight - blah. Funny thing, though. I am taking a second class that is online, and it has been 1 month and we really haven't had to DO anything yet. I keep logging in and checking, but nothing. The last online class I took nearly killed me, so this is quite the change. Not complaining, mind you!

Apparently I made plans with a co-worker to meet her at the gym for a BodyPump class the morning @6am (??????WTF was I thinking????). Also apparently I was delirious when I made said plans, because I have no recollection whatsoever about it. Imagine my surprise when she comes into my office with a "where were you" look on her face. Oops. My bad. :o

Kimphin
09-29-2010, 10:20 AM
OK, continuing on with my tome....

Slap me or put me on ignore if I am getting all rah rah annoying! This is such a new thing for me to be so succesful that I am ecstatic!

I am kind of excited to be starting this protocol at the same time the Biggest Loser starts - usually I am watching the show feeling all guilty like I should be doing something and not. Now I am looking forward to seeing how far I get during the duration of the show. 12 weeks from now- who knows?

I am really done this time. Promise.

Angie
09-29-2010, 09:01 PM
Kim -- Actually the title of the movie is Legends of the Guardians - The Owls of Ga'Hoole, but that's waaaay too long, so I changed it...lol. I'm glad your plan is working for you too. It is so motivating to actually see the scale move, and I am dumbfounded that it actually moves daily!!

Too funny about the 6 a.m. class, I would have forgotten that too.

I made some awesome hamburger patties and meatballs tonight for dinner...rest of the family had buns, but I ate plain with just raw veggies.

JLem311
09-30-2010, 10:48 AM
hello all.
i was meaning to post this a few days ago, but i got a card in the mail from LAWL asking me to restart and they'd give me a certain price, free juice, etc. :) the center in my city is still open and i see tons of commercials on the local tv channels too. i drive by there sometimes since i live on that side of the city now and just keep thinking that i wanna stop in there and show them that i made it to my goal (well, one of them!) WITHOUT their help, or supplements or sugar-filled bars or the pushy counselors! :) hahaha!

but in all seriousness, i still have 20lbs that i want to lose, or maybe just 10lbs..i'm not really set on a number really. we'll see. i've been pushing myself harder on my workouts and am still at 164. but i'm cool with that. i'm doing what i need to do, and that's being healthy and taking excellent care of myself.

sorry, i don't have time for personals...hope everyone is doing well, staying on track, setting goals and doing everything in their power to reach them and be good to their bodies.

Kimphin
09-30-2010, 11:19 AM
I was just thinking that I don't miss hamburger buns. It all started with LAWL when I fell in love with turkey burgers on deli flats, then I just dropped the bun altogether. This summer on vacation SIL made these awesome burgers and she raved about some "really good looking bulkie rolls" she found at the market and all I could think was... yuk, I want mine bunless. And that was before low-carbing!

Kimphin
09-30-2010, 11:24 AM
Jillian - LAWL was just a tool to get you through a certain point. They aren't the reason you got to goal at all! That's kind of what I am thinking about what I am doing now - getting through to a point. If you did go into LAWL, your point with them would be totally lost, because they would just think it was an lawl success story.

And, the fun of losing weight. You work hard to lose it, then as you do, you need to work even harder to keep losing. Argh! I can't think about it! hurts caveman head.

BarbaraB
10-01-2010, 02:30 PM
Kim, 14 pounds in 3 weeks is excellent! Even with your happy carb day thrown in.

Jillian, LAWL has its plusses and minuses. I found it helpful, and alarming all a the same time. Same with the bars... alarming on some levels, but really great tool to get me to eat smaller meals more often also. They may have got your started on your journey, but ultimately it is your journey.

Quiet in here today.

I got my cholesterol numbers back and they are up again... darn it! They did say that my numbers looked like someone trying hard to do what can be done, but still not cutting it. So it is extra important that I get my weight down since it could help lower those numbers. I also had a low Vitamen D. Which I read up on and they said that it can make it harder to lose weight if your vitamen D is low, and it is really common to be deficient.

juliemarie
10-01-2010, 05:35 PM
It's particularly common to be Vit D deficient in the Pacific NW!

Re cholesterol-I've always been really lucky to have #'s in all the right ranges. Apparently it's more genes than diet . . .cuz I certainly don't deserve to have such good numbers!

I was derailed by some risotto last nite! Back on track tonite. Hard to cook for other people when doing hte low carb thing-I just meant to "taste" it-and well, you know how that goes!

BarbaraB
10-01-2010, 06:46 PM
JM, My cholesterol was fine when I was younger. So it is genetics and age... I guess it is really common for women to have fine cholesterol until they start heading for menopause and then all bets are off.. and I'm in the all bets are off phase of life. My dad had a triple bipass this spring, so I have to take this seriously, and really I don't want to have to go through that if I can avoid it.

Angie
10-01-2010, 06:59 PM
Jillian -- I think you should totally stop by the COD and let them see how you've done!

My cholesterol is always better than I deserve too...it drives my skinny friends crazy (which is kind of fun).

JM I just 'tasted' 3 spoonfuls (read: shovelfuls) of mac & cheese as I was cleaning up my son's dinner plate.