Diabetes Support - September Chat

View Full Version : September Chat

fatmad
09-01-2010, 08:14 AM
Miss you Ruth, hope you are having a lovely vacation, but we will start our chat without you.

September looks pretty from here, there is sun this morning and mist on the river as I look from the back deck.

Was really tired yesterday, but stuck to plan. Feeling human after a good night's sleep.

Happy September chickies (and roosters too)

theCandEs
09-01-2010, 09:15 AM
Hello, Fatmad, thanks for starting us off. :coffee2: Good for you for sticking to your plan!! I'm looking to you for inspiration. :lol:

My friend's little boy spent the night with us last night. I'm glad that is over. He did great (he's four), but it always winds me up to have other kids over.

We seem to be having the same kind of weather, fatmad, because it felt like Fall for the first time this morning. AH! So nice and cool! Love it.

I go for a fasting BS test at the doctor tomorrow. Cross your fingers for me!

pattygirl63
09-01-2010, 12:23 PM
Can't belive it is September already.

Fatmad and CandEs Glad you are having fall like weather. They say we are going to match todays record high of 95 which was todays high. At least Hurricane Earl isn't coming to SC although we could use some rain but it isn't in our forecast. I look forward to cooler fall like weather.

Fatmad Glad you got a good nights sleep and got through your day O

CandEs Hope you get a good report on your FBS test. I think knowing I've got to have that done in 3 weeks really helps me stay OP and I know it is helping me get started with doing exercises. I have to see the doctor in 4 weeks and I know he will ask, "Are you exercising?" I want to be able to say "yes I am". It's terrible that I have to be coaxed that way. I used to love exercising and hope I will get back to feeling that way again in time.

Not much going on here today. I've done most of my exercise for today... still have 5 more minutes to do. Not hungry much this morning so eating mini-meals probably more like snacks than meals so far.

Ruth I miss you to and hope you are having a great time and getting the relaxation you needed.

Y'all have a nice day.

synger
09-01-2010, 03:54 PM
Had my monthly weigh-in and measurement. Down 10 pounds and a couple inches here and there. My FBG is fairly steady. Hoping that my tendinitis allows me to get more exercise this month.

want2bfit4me
09-01-2010, 09:16 PM
Just checking in...........

FBS are still bouncing up and down. Will be glad when all this stress is over with. I am still exercising every day. Not as much or as long as I was but some is better than none. I am just really tired and achy. Again probably the stress....

Leann

fatmad
09-01-2010, 09:43 PM
Just checking in...........

FBS are still bouncing up and down. Will be glad when all this stress is over with. I am still exercising every day. Not as much or as long as I was but some is better than none. I am just really tired and achy. Again probably the stress....

Leann

hope things chill for you soon Leann. Are you able to soak in an epsom salt bath and take some down time for yourself? DOn't hesitate to gripe about the things that stress you, its such a great outlet here. I appreciated that I could post repeatedly about my parents problems that were stressing me. I had no guilt, if folks were tired of hearing about it they could just skim or skip it, and I got the benefit of venting and whining. (Of course my friends not on line had to listen, its too rude to tune out, LOL)
I am glad I started on my journey even during those stressful times. It was the stress that got me off track at first, but also led me back to a sensible diet and lifestyle, or I wouldn't have made it through. The side benefit is that if you can learn to eat sensibly when under duress, its easier to keep up when the stress gets less.
take care

fatmad
09-02-2010, 08:06 AM
fasting 5.0 today. Long term, I think my glycogen stores are down, and the metformin is helping. THe fastings are the only values I am concerned about, all the others are fine with atkins and not a worry. Am so happy to see it going to the normal area. and I wake up with an appetite!
have a good day everyone. I leave tonight for the cottage, and internet is a bit spotty, and have lots of outdoor things to do.
ttfn

theCandEs
09-02-2010, 02:11 PM
Hello, everyone! :wave:

Trish -- you know the word "cool" is relative, right? :lol: I guess I just meant cool for around here. I woke up and it was 69 with a low humidity, and it made me feel like fall and football are around the corner. Of course, it got up to 94 degrees, but with the low humidity, it didn't feel so bad. Thanks for the well wishes on my BS test!

synger -- :high: WTG on losing 10 pounds!

Leann -- hope you feel better. Stress can be very tiring. :hug:

fatmad -- Sounds like you are doing good! :carrot:

Well, I had my FBG test this morning. I took a test myself before I went in, and it was 94. I guess that is decent, but it's not really where I would like to be. She really hurt the crap out of me, too. I'm still sore. :( I hope the results come back okay. They are checking cholesterol, too.

Hope everyone has a nice day!

want2bfit4me
09-02-2010, 06:24 PM
Madeline Thank you so much for listening and allowing me to vent. It really does help and I feel as though you all are a part of my family already. This weekend will be an extended one. I will only work half of a day tomorrow and then off Sat, Sun and Monday. Then I have jury duty on next Thursday. So that is 3 1/2 days left. I can handle that. Even if they cancel jury duty I am not going in that day. Saturday we are going to a small town that does a big labor day celebration with a parade, food, music and square dancing. We are taking our 5 year old granddaughter with us. I am really looking forward to that.
I'm not much in to soaking in the bathtub but may have to get out my foot bath and use it. Enjoy yourself at the cottage.

thecandES Way to go on that fasting blood sugar of 94. I know you want better and I do to but thats considered normal. Sorry she hurt you. I wish I could have taken your blood. That's what I did at 2 of the clinics I worked at and was told I was very good at it.

On a positive note..............
A 1st grade student came to see me this afternoon. After I fixed his scrape he told me I did a good job. Left and went half way up the hill and then came back down to me. I thought maybe he had forgotten something but this is what he told me. You did a really good job, thank you and hugged me.
Just made my day. That is what I will miss when I leave...........

Leann

pattygirl63
09-02-2010, 06:46 PM
Synger - CONGRATULATIONS on the 10 lbs and inches lost as well as your FBS being steady.

Leeann - I was thinking about you today wondering how you are doing. I think with all the stress you are going through at this time that you need to do just do the best you can with everything. I don't mean you should set yourself up for going OP, but with things being really rough with the job situation just do your best to be good to yourself during this time so you can get through it. Remember we are here for you if you need to sound off to releave the stress.

CandEs I think our weather is similar. We have nights in the 60s and daytime in the 90s. They keep saying the following week will be in the 80s sure hope they are right for next week. 94 for your BS is great. I would love to get under 110 and stay there for a starter. I'm glad you are doing so well.

Fatmad Have a safe trip to the cottage. We will miss you if you can't get online.

As of this morning, I've lost a total of 20 lbs this year. Not much but nice to see it coming down. I've added carbs back into my diet, but I think I'm going to pull them back down some. I'm doing about 25 minutes exercising a day now. Hopefully that will help the FBS as well as the weight coming down a little faster.

Y'all have a good evening.

want2bfit4me
09-02-2010, 08:28 PM
Pattygirl You girls on here are just amazing. I have not been posting that long but I feel at home here. Thank you so much for thinking of me. I will be ok. Just being able to voice my feelings on here helps me so much. My poor hubby can only hear so much.
So with all of this going on I have had a period every 2 weeks for the past 6 weeks. I am hoping this is heading toward menopause sine I will be 50 in Feb. I have been under alot of stress before and it has never messed up my cycles. They have always been regular.

Anyway thanks for listening and caring............

Leann

theCandEs
09-03-2010, 08:45 AM
Leann and Trish, the only thing that worked to bring my blood sugar down in the morning was to completely cut out starchy food, no bread, no potatoes, etc. Before I did that, it was usually above 100. I could keep it below 120 after meals, but it would always be too high in the morning, so I had to do something, you know?

Leann, :hug: I know you're having a tough time with your job. As far as the crazy period's go, I would have that checked out. It might be fibroids. It says I spelled that wrong, but I don't feel like looking it up. Anyway, I know someone who eventually became anemic from having periods like that, and it was due to fibroids. P.S. I would probably rather you draw my blood next time. I have a nice bruise this morning.

Trish, we are supposed to get down to the 80's by this weekend and early next week. If we lived closer, we could walk together! :lol: Congrats on losing 20 pounds! :cheer2: I know that it helps.

Fatmad and Synger, :wave:

Time to make my coffee! Y'all have a good day!
:coffee2:

Lindyloo
09-03-2010, 09:06 AM
Good Morning.

Sorry I haven't been here for a while. Lots of stuff happened. Anyway back and ready to get at it again.

Going to check out what I have missed.

BBL

theCandEs
09-03-2010, 09:33 AM
Hey, Lindy! I didn't mean to leave you out! Have a great weekend!

pattygirl63
09-03-2010, 11:21 AM
Leeann I can't help you with the periods either. I must say I was one of those lucky ones like an aunt I had who had no real problems going through menopause. When it came time my periods just stopped and the only discomfort I had was hot flashes. I agree with CandEsthat you should see your doctor about what is going on.

CandEs This morning I remembered one of my Mama's cousins I talked to years ago. She and her sister (looked like twins but weren't) were always thin. I remember as a teenager asking one of them how they stayed thin. I knew they low carbed although not much was known about that in the 1950s and I'm not sure why I even asked as I was very thin at the time. Any way today I remembered what she told me. She said, "If I eat bread, I don't eat potatoes. If I eat potatoes, I don't eat bread". I suddenly realized that most people back then didn't eat as much starchy foods as they do today. When I was growing up we ate what was called balanced meals and rarely ate junk/fast food and sweets were usually holiday foods. I may have to cut out all starchy foods too, but right now I'm just eating a very minimum amount. Time will tell.

Lindy Glad you are back.

Fatmad, Synger and everyone else reading this:wave:

Hope everyone has a great Labor Day weekend.

want2bfit4me
09-03-2010, 06:04 PM
But I don't want to go to the doctor.:( She told me I was good until Jan.
Guess I'd better go while I still have insurance.;)
I have had fibroids in the past and have had irregular bleeding and had some other tests ran but all came back fine. Guess I was just hoping for menopause.
CandEs you spelled fibroids correctly. The spell check must not recognize it.

I don't want to cut out all the bread either. My bread is 5 carbs per slice. But I may have to consider that to get my sugar down.

The temp for tomorrow is supposed to be 78. That will be wonderful.

Hope everyone has a great weekend

Leann

Justwant2Bhealthy
09-03-2010, 09:11 PM
:wave: HI LADIES ~ so nice to see so many of you pop in here this month. I have been very busy lately too -- I had to start three threads and for some reason this site has been giving me ad grief. My security programs have been in a battle almost every time I came on this site over the last few weeks. It seems to be finally settling down tonight. What used to take me a few minutes can take up to 2 or more hours (what a drag); and I don't always have that much time, so I had to leave it and come back another time/day.

LEANN ~ I have to 2nd and 3rd the others who think you should see a doctor just in case; but it is true that different ladies have different symptoms as they go into peri-menopause and menopause. I had sporadic menses that were long and heavy, but always had extra time in between them. When I was younger they were more regular; but they really started to act up in my late forties.

Maybe becuz I am eating better and have lost weight, they seem to be normalizing again, and I will be turning 52 soon (here I thought they would be gone by now; and I also had terrible hot flashes: still do now & then so hot, humid weather really bothers me). :hug:

She said, "If I eat bread, I don't eat potatoes. If I eat potatoes, I don't eat bread".

TRISH ~ that is not the first time that I have heard that old adage; another lady here said that she wouldn't eat bread, potatoes, and/or rice in the same day either. Some believe that you shouldn't have more than one starch or grain carb in the same meal or day -- but not everyone can stick to that.

I have doing well, but today for some reason, I seemed overly hungry. I did get a lot of exercise trimming around my apple trees and my camper yesterday. No excuses though; just having a carb tuff day, I think -- but at least I didn't go over my daily total calories, so it will be a maintenance day instead of WL day. Thank goodness I did so well for the earlier part of the day.

I did get some extra walking in today as well; as we went up town to pay bills and I went book hunting at our local second-hand shop, which is a fairly big place. I managed to find an armful of books to read over the next while. I love to have lots of books to read for the fall and long winter we have here.

We managed to get about 3 baskets of green beans so far and our flowers were a great success in our south and west gardens. The brown-eyed Susans are very showy and they bloom continuously too. I even got some apples on my little crab apple tree and they are a bright red right now.

Hope you all have a lovely LABOR DAY WEEKEND too ... Rosebud :flow2:

want2bfit4me
09-03-2010, 09:31 PM
Rosebud I guess I will be making an appt with the doctor. I did some research on the web about irregular bleeding and being perimenopausal. They all seem to agree that you start having more time between your cycles and not closer like mine have been and that only makes sense so I guess I'll have to go.
I just hate going thru all of this again. But better to know what is going on than to be stupid and end up with something bad and prolonging treatment.

Thanks to everyone who has an input in this and helped me to realize that it could be something more serious than menopause.

Leann

Ruthxxx
09-04-2010, 08:03 AM
Good morning and happy Labour Day Weekend to everyone.

I'm back from my holiday and faced the scale this morning. It is not happy with me so my body and I are going onto Phase I of South Beach for a week or so. While I was on holiday. My FBGL was not good for me - in the 7s - so cutting carbs has to happen. I will be in Italy four weeks from today and doubt that I can avoid carbs there!

Back later to read. I'm was glad to see a September thread started.

Justwant2Bhealthy
09-04-2010, 08:20 PM
:welcome: BACK, RUTH ~ hope you had a nice time, even with the food/sugar issues. You will get back on track in no time, I'm sure ... :hug:

I made a nice pot of beef barley & vegetable soup for lunch; and we had fish, home fries, and salad for dinner tonight. It :rain: all day here, so we just stayed home and vegged out ... :lol:

:wave:

Ruthxxx
09-05-2010, 07:13 AM
Good morning!

It was so good to get up this morning and test my blood. After a week of 7's, it was 4.1! That just proves what clean eating can do. Weight was down a tad too.

The gym is closed for the long weekend but my treadmill is sitting upstairs looking lonely. I am going to give it some attention shortly before I go to Church. I certainly think about that much more than actually do it! It's time to get the legs in shape for Italy in less than four weeks.

Happy Labour Day weekend!

pattygirl63
09-05-2010, 01:12 PM
:welcome3:Back Ruth Glad you had a good holiday and your BS and weight are back down.

Leann Glad you are going to see a doctor about your situation. I think it is wise to do that and I'll keep you in my prayers that it will something simple.

Rosebud The beef soup sounds good. I've just read good things about barley too. I've never used it much, but I love soups when the weather turns cool and it will definitely be adding barley in them.

I'm trying to get back into getting a good night sleep. I slept almost 8 hours the last 2 nights and my FBS was down below 120. I'm learning that I have to get more sleep to help lower the blood sugar. I have a problem of sleeping so will definitely discuss that with the doctor at next visit. I don't like taking sleeping pills, but have resorted to taking half of one I get at Walmart. I hope he can help with this so I may not have to take the meds all the time. Even taking half, I have to make myself stay in bed a full 8 hrs. Usually end up with 7 or 7 and a half. I've settled into my calories being between 1200 and 1400 and have my carbs 4 to 6 servings a day and it is working so far. Blood sugar is lower than doctor wants it. I know they say you shouldn't eat less than 1200 calories a day, but there are days I do well to get 1000 because I'm not really hungry those days. Then there are days that I seem to need up to 1400 although not often so I'm just rolling with it. I've decided that my body seems to like the shifting of the calories. I gained a few pounds at first when I added more carbs, but now that my body is adjusting to the "good/healthy" carbs I seem to be losing a 1/2 to 1 lbs a day. As long as it works for FBS and scales going down, I'm fine with it. I'm going to ask the doctor about the 1000 calorie days.

CandEs and Lindy and Everyone else:wave:

theCandEs
09-05-2010, 06:40 PM
Hi, everyone! :wave:

Hi, Ruth, glad you had a nice vacation!

Hey, Rosebud, that soup sounds good. I wish someone would make it for me, though. I have a sore throat and soup sounds good.

Hey, Trish! I have trouble sleeping, too. I think it goes hand-in-hand with diabetes.

Leann, it can't hurt to check it out. If it's nothing, then no harm done, except maybe to your wallet.

Well, I've had a stressful weekend. One of my chickens is sick and I'm really worried. We just bought chickens in February, so I don't know a whole lot about them. She seems a lot better now, but I was just frantic with worry. What the heck do you do for a sick chick? I've been all over the internet looking for answers. I didn't realize how upset I would be to lose one. She is one of our favorites. She has always, even as a baby chick, been so friendly, so that is what we call her, "Friendly."

Anyway, to me. *sigh* I ate a piece of pizza yesterday. Yeah, I know it's a no-no. It was sooo good, though, and I was sooo hungry. Anyway, I got up this morning and my BS was 111!! :faint: I guess I thought I might be okay because before bed it was 107. I thought for sure it would go down. I was wrong.

Anyway, my DH has been working all weekend. Such a bummer!! But, he does need the work. He is self-employed. Hopefully, tomorrow we will do something. Or, I will, I guess.

Have a nice holiday, everyone!!

fatmad
09-06-2010, 04:39 PM
am back from my weekend away. DOn't invite chefs to the cottage. I didn't cook all weekend, and he did his best to help me low-carb, (even tho DH didn't tell him about that or about my food allergies!, even tho the chef asked!) but I had a few cheats. I did a fair amount of walking, but my back was sore, and there was rain and some cool weather, so not enough I think. We will see what the scale says in the morning. I won't post much more, lots of reading to catch up on and lots of LAUNDRY to do. DD is back for last year of high school starting tomorrow. This time next year, I will be moving her to university!

Justwant2Bhealthy
09-06-2010, 08:12 PM
Well, it :rain: for most of the weekend: cold & windy too; seems it is either hot & humid or cold & wet ... :lol: Then 'ole MR. :sunny: came out today (after many earnest prayers) to give us some warmth ... finally! Brought the temps up into the sixties for us.

We went up to our lot to visit my Dad & SM for the last time as they were going home today. We took up a nice healthy dinner of BBQ spit chicken and salads. I picked some more beans and we had it with some leftovers for tonight's dinner too. Veggies sure help to fill you up quickly.

Will now go put my legs up for a while and do some reading and maybe a little crocheting as well. Have a wonderful week everyone ... Rosebud :flow2:

Ruthxxx
09-07-2010, 03:31 AM
Early good morning. I woke at two and finally got up. My brain seems to be in overdrive! :lol:

Not a great weekend here with cold and rain. The Village sort of died as people packed up their cottages and headed home. This morning is the first school bus day and the dogs and I will wait at the corner to see off the kids and comfort (some of) the mothers.

Veggies! Veggies! Veggies! I made a huge pot of soup on Sunday and really enjoyed it yesterday. Today I will have it for lunch and then freeze the rest. It's that time of year. My raised bed is still producing armloads of chard, tomatoes and green and yellow beans and the new beans are setting buds. If we don't have a killing frost, I may have green beans from the garden for Thanksgiving.

Hmmm....maybe soup for breakfast this chilly morning?

fatmad
09-07-2010, 05:59 AM
well Ruth, seeing you post comforts me. Thanks to the miracle of 5htp, I was able to get back to sleep when I woke up at 3, and since I am not retired yet, I need the sleep to function for work. I am not sleeping very well again. I went off my antidepressants in August while on holiday, and feel emotionally fine. I don't think I have needed them for depression for a couple of years actually, (went thru a bit of blue time when oldest daughter left home, and they were helpful dealing with the stress when my parents were very ill) but really, I seem to need them still for help with sleep.
Ladies, those who have completed menopause, did the hot flashes and insomnia continue long after the periods stopped. I have pretty much stopped for the last year, (last regular period last September) tho I had two little episodes of spotting just when Mum died and two weeks later at her funeral, which I associated with stress more than anything else. Otherwise, I seem to be done, at not quite 49 years old. Its fine with me, I am not unhappy about menopause, but not thrilled to still have other symptoms that are making life difficult. I can live with the hot flashes more easily than insomnia. I don't really like being on the zoloft. Its a very low dose, very few side effects, (except helps me sleep, though it doesn't seem to make me sleepy, if that makes sense). But I just don't want to take it. Enough already.
But the sleep getting worse has been a gradual thing. It is definitely worse since I started back to work after holidays. I will be off call, tho working through most of October, I think I will try to tough it out this month without the zoloft and see if its better when I am not on call. Maybe its my mind and not my brain. LOL, maybe I am over-analyzing this. anyhow.
There seems to be a weight gain, with eating a bit off plan on the weekend.
It looks like I am over 170. I may wait a day or two to see what happens, since it doesn't make sense that I could gain a couple of pounds over 4 days. (like we tell the bingers, probably a lot is water retention). THough I don't think I ate anything that might cause water retention.
Back to induction today anyhow. I really want to get this weight off.
thanks for the reminder Ruth, I will check out the veggie garden to see whats still growing. We lost the tomatoes to blight tho, so they are gone.

pattygirl63
09-07-2010, 12:47 PM
fatmad I have problems sleeping too. I by OTC sleeping pills, but hate taking them because I feel dragged out the next day. I am trying taking half a pill instead of a whole one now. I feel for you going through this. I'm also having a bouncing between 2 lbs right now instead of scales moving on down, so I too am back on induction today.

Ruth Your soup makes me want to make some homemade soup as well, but still to hot for soup. It is so sweet of you to see to the children and their mothers at the bus stop. You are such a "special" lady.

Y'all have a great Tuesday.

Lindyloo
09-07-2010, 01:37 PM
Hello:)

Just a quick check in this morning.

I too have trouble sleeping. Not going to sleep, but waking up around 2. I usually just go on the computer or watch TV for a while and then go back to bed. DH goes to work at 5 so it's not to hard to go back to sleep.

Getting ready for our trip to Phoenix. We will be away for 2 weeks and I'm looking forward to it. Our DF is coming to house sit and look after our two dogs, so that will give us one less thing to worry about. Taking another 2 friends with us so we should have a good time. Our DS has a house down there and is letting us use it.

Anyway have a a great day.

Justwant2Bhealthy
09-07-2010, 10:05 PM
:wave: HI LADIES ~ had a good on plan day today; even had room for some toast & PB with my tea tonight. We had :rain: mostly today too; there may be a little sun tomorrow and Friday, but rain for the rest of the week, which is actually fairly normal for this area at this time of year -- we usually get spring and fall rain here.

We had that beef & barley soup/stew for dinner tonight; nice for a cold & wet day. Just added in some more leftovers (mostly veggies) and it was quite hardy and filling. Got lots of walking in today and did quite a bit of stuff around here today; very busy.

Time to go put my tired feet up and rest them a bit; have a great week ... Rosebud :flow2:

fatmad
09-08-2010, 10:00 AM
HI friends: My weight is back to 169 this am, so I am pleased over all. I think it is a pretty true weight, had been a bit constipated but had a good dump this am so feel normal as well. DH cooked my breakfast this am, meets with induction standards, so I can take that!
It seems most of us have a similar type of insomnia, middle of night waking, and sleeping pills don't tend to help that type much, according to my sleep doctor. He recommended melatonin, which is over the counter here. I tried a few brands, and settled on Vivitas. works the best. My cousin in Quebec tried it and reports she hasn't slept this well in years. no hangover, as it is a sleep regulator, doesn't tend to make a person sleepy.
I also found the zoloft helps for that, and that is why I have been taking it on and off for so many years. I had a mild depression for a while after oldest daughter left home, and went through some tough personal stuff at the time, and it helped that, but due to the sleep problems, I haven't been able to get off of it. No depression tho. If I can get through September, maybe I can readjust myself over October when I am not on call.
Sugars are just fine though, so I hope the induction will take a few more pounds off over the next while. I'm gonna aim for 160 for Christmas. I know its not a lot of weight between then and now, but I lose so slowly, it doesn't seem realistic to do more.
Have a good day everyone.

Lindyloo
09-08-2010, 12:08 PM
Good Morning:)

Fatmad - slow is better than quick weight loss, I think it tends to stay off. I'm going to have to try that melatonin. I have heard a lot of people say it works well for them. I don't like taking sleeping pills, (only did it once) and I walked around in a daze for days.

Has anyone tried the new PGX daily that has been advertised on TV. It;s suppose to regulate your blood sugar levels and helps with weight loss. I did buy some yesterday, but will wait until I get back from vacation to try it. Just curious if anyone else has tried it.

All this talk about soup is making me think I need to make some too. I try to stay away from ready made (to much sodium).

Have a great day all.

pattygirl63
09-08-2010, 03:08 PM
fatmad Thanks for sharing about the melatonin... will look to see if I can find the Vivitas. I just hate the feeling of sleeping pills. I lose weight slowly too. Ended up not doing induction. Just pulled my carbs back more. I lose slowly too, but at least I'm losing. My Daddy told me that if I lose weight slowly that by the time I get down to where I want to be that it should be easier to stay there this time because I will have learned portion control. I hope he is right. It sounds logical.

Lindyloo That is why I don't like sleeping pills as I do the same thing. I feel like my head is in a fog for days afterwards. I haven't heard of the PGX. Let us know if it helps you.

Not much going on here. DH had to have blood test for his coumadin this morning and then we had prescriptions to pick up at Walmart. Picked up a few things there and back home. Now I'm doing laundry.

Y'all of a good day.

Ruthxxx
09-08-2010, 04:05 PM
Quick fly-by because I just indulged in yet another nap. This could get to be a new habit although I slept really well last night. Insomnia is one of the symptoms of The Pause and I had it bigtime! I used Meltonin which helped although it did give em very vivid dreams. Now I find sniffing some lavender extract or putting some on my pillow helps a lot.
It's cold today and my body wants tea and soup for supper. I may force her into eating a baked chop from the freezer and some spinach and yellow beans. I'm the BOSS!

Justwant2Bhealthy
09-08-2010, 09:26 PM
Well, I have been having trouble sleeping lately too, but it isn't from menopause -- it's our young neighbours who are either playing their drums and their music really, really loud; or yelling and fighting and slamming doors ... GOD help us -- p l e a s e ! ! !

I think I am going to sleep in the livingroom tonight, even though our bed is so much more comfortable; I need one good night sleep this week. I will have a cup a tea soon and put my legs up for the day. I baked some healthy muffins today; and I found a recipe that suggests using concentrated apple juice (the frozen kind) instead of sugar and fat. Think I'll try that next time (esp for the sugar).

We had more :rain: again today; this will likely go on for another week or so, but we may get a little :sunny: here and there, we hope. Have a good day tomorrow, folks ... Rosebud :flow2:

Ruthxxx
09-09-2010, 05:58 AM
Rosebud, check out your municipal by-laws. A phone call might be in order. If those muffins are good, could you please share the recipe. I am hankering for some muffins for breakfast - maybe with some laughing Cow or all-fruit jam....or both!

Busy, busy days around here as I catch up on the backlog of accounting work for the Mill. I feel proud to be volunteering at a National Historic Site (http://www.deltamill.org/)but there sure is lots of work. If you are ever up this way, let me give you a tour.

Weight is stuck at the moment but I am confident it'll move down again. Right now it's time for breakfast - beef and veggie soup on this chilly morning. My last batch made eleven 2 cup servings, way too much, so I have quite a freezer stash.

Hope your Thursday is a good one.

fatmad
09-09-2010, 08:02 AM
slept ok last night, just work once and got back to sleep ok. Was a little off after just getting 5 hours the night before due to work. Also had a nap yesterday pm, so I should be caught up now, but am a bit tired none the less.
I was careful with eating yesterday not to do carbs etc but maybe had too much cheese or somethings. Fasting was 6.1 this am. My sugars before and after meals are just fine, but the fasting, even with pm metformin, just is up and down. not sure what else I can do about it, or if I need to.
I expect the next step will be more exercise, not for the weight, but should help to regulate the blood sugars. If I could be as good about the exercise as I've been about the food, I would be doing awesome.

pattygirl63
09-10-2010, 11:15 AM
Good Morning Ladies

Finally got on here. Never could get here yesterday. I only have problems using 3FC. It doesn't want to let me move to the different threads.

I started taking the Melatonin which DH had. I have been sleeping pretty good. I went to bed early last night and slept good then woke up around 5:30 and couldn't go back to sleep. My aunt (actually my uncle's wife) back in TX passed away Tuesday and I woke up thinking about my cousins being without their mother. Couldn't get them and my uncle out of my mind. They were married 66 yrs. She was a precious woman and we thought she would die many years ago as she has had a lot of health problems. Back when we first thought she didn't have long to live, my Mother was doing fine. It was my Mother who died instead. That was a shocker. I also wanted to get online to look up her obituary and read it. She was 85, but I don't care how old they are it is not easy giving up our parents or a mate.

Well by the time I checked my FBS which was still earlier than usual, it was 120mg/dl. I am not happy with the numbers being between 115 and 120. I want it to go lower. I decided to back on strict low carb... Atkin's Induction. I looked up Dr. Bernstein and read about him. I read somewhere that every diabetic should have a copy of his book. Also one lady on another diabetic thread on lowcarb site said she never thought she would be able to lose weight and be thin again, but the weight came off easily when she did what Bernstein said to do. She and others there really stress Bernstein's book helped them get control of their BS. So I went to Amazon.com and read some reviews about his books and decided to order his newst book "Diabetes Solution" and also ordered a book that a review writer of his book suggested by Gretchen Becker called "The First Year: Type 2 Diabetes". The writer seemed to think these are the best 2 books for learning to control blood sugar. So I'm back on Induction until I learn more from his book. Besides, I read that his diet is pretty much like Atkins so I'll have a good start by the time I get his book and can read it. I have made up my mind that I am going to get this blood sugar #s lower.

Fatmad I am with you on the exercise thing. If I was as good with it as I am about the food, I probably would already have better FBS. I am working on doing more everyday whether it is considered formal exercise or not.

Rosebud Back in TX when my previous hubby was still living, we had neighbors like that. Bill and the man across the street from us called the police a couple of times but it didn't do any good. I had to put up with it even after Bill died. One Sunday I came home from church and fire trucks had the street blocked off. They evidently had been doing drugs and accidently turned an electric space heater over and burned the house down. Finally met the young man after the fire and he seemed like a nice kid. He probably never realized the music and drums caused anybody any trouble. And of course if he was doing drugs, that didn't help either. Young people just don't think.

Ruth I'm cooking a beef roast today and since DH and I won't eat much of it, the leftovers will become my beef veggie soup that I have been so hungry for since you girls in cooler part of the world have been having it.

Linyloo, CandEs and everyone else:wave:

Have a great day.

theCandEs
09-10-2010, 11:52 AM
Hello, everyone! :wave: Sorry I've been MIA, but I just haven't been feeling great. I added some OP carbs, but I guess I just can't handle that yet. I might have to back off of them again. My Step MIL gave me some of her Freestyle strips, and I think I like my Walmart meter strips better. I don't know, but they don't seem to be working right. I wonder if she left them in her hot car while she went to a birthday party right before coming to my house. If she did, that might explain the funky readings I'm getting.

Trish, I know it's hard giving up carbs. I'm trying to stick with it, though. I just feel awful if I don't, and I'm not talking about the guilt. I physically feel bad. Good luck with your new book. Let us know if you find some useful tips!

Fatmad, my readings have been crazy, too. I hope it's just that these strips are bad. Exercise usually brings my BS right down. I know I need to do it more, but I've been busy and stressed.

Ruth, I will definitely ask you for a tour if I ever make it up there! :lol:

Rosebud, sorry about the noisy neighbors. We moved to the country to get away from living in a subdivision. It's very nice. Let us know how the muffins turn out.

Lindy, I've never heard of PGX. I was thinking of trying melatonin, too.

Y'all have a good day!! I have plenty of work to do around here.

Ruthxxx
09-10-2010, 02:47 PM
Late check-in for me today. I woke in a panic at 5:30 worrying about all I had to do today. Tested my blood and it was 2.3!!! (41.4 USA) That's what that was all about. I can't figure why it dropped so low as I ate properly last night. Luckily I had some real gingerale and OJ on hand and it came back up quite quickly.

Weight was down another smidge this morning. It's going to be a long haul to get into the 180s!

I have an outside wedding to attend late tomorrow afternoon and it looks like we are going to have gorgeous weather. That's a good thing as they are getting married in a field with the reception in a barn. Shades of the 60s! I'm not sure what to wear but Indian cotton skirts and beads come to mind.

I hope we all have a great weekend.

Justwant2Bhealthy
09-10-2010, 11:17 PM
Yes, will be glad to share the recipe; I will try it out to see how they are. The recipe is very simple: no eggs, no sugar, no fat. Just 2 kinds of flour (whole wheat and all-purpose) + oat bran + a can of pure apple juice concentrate (thawed) + 1 cup water + 2 large granny smith apples (diced). It calls for a lot of flour and says it makes 12 large muffins; but I keep thinking it would make 12 giant muffins though. :lol: I may make mine a tad bit smaller ... ;)

Well, the kiddies have cooled it a bit the last few nights; the GF went and stayed over at a friends place. They are out tonight so far ... yeah! We went out to our lot today and didn't get back until 8 pm and then had a late dinner. I was able to sleep in the bedroom after all. I have been trying to get 7-8 hours sleep which is optimum, but sometimes it is hard.

We finally had some lovely :sunny: today; and it got up to 71 degrees too. Hope you all have a wonderful fall weekend ... Rosebud :flow2:

Ruthxxx
09-11-2010, 06:45 AM
Looking gorgeous out there this morning with a clear sunrise, a good day for a wedding.

My BGL is a decent 5.1 this morning - I'm still puzzling over yesterday's extreme low. I'd say my meter was wrong except for the strange feelings I had.

Right now I have potatoes cooking and eggs hard boiling as I prepare to do the Big Cook for today's wedding. I'm making small tomatoes stuffed with skorthalia, that garlic and potato mixture, and deviled eggs which people have decided are my specialty. The rest of the meal is BBQ plus salads so I should be OK.

Happy weekend! Let's enjoy the remains of summer and a glorious fall.

fatmad
09-11-2010, 08:36 PM
Hi everyone: just a brief check in. I did get out to exercise by taking a 35 minute trail walk with the dog and DH. better than nothing, but not a real workout.
BUt that was to help tire me out, so I would sleep well, but instead got onto a work jag, one after another. Just cat-naps between births. I am pretty tired but couldn't rest tonight. I have stuck to plan tho. As I have posted before, these are the times when I long to go off plan, both from the point of view of craving carbs, and because the low after a high carb meals helps me get to sleep and stay asleep. I also used to eat (and overeat) to stay awake.
Weight still at 169 today, and sugars no higher than 6 after meals. Haven't been able to get an accurate fasting glucose for the last couple of days due to odd sleep patterns.

Rosebud, I would talk to the neighbours. If they work odd hours and are disturbed by "daytime" activities, sometimes working out a schedule to accommodate them is helpful. (we don't cut our lawn until after noon on the weekends, so we don't wake them up)
Another moved the stereo off our shared wall when we were in a townhouse complex when we discussed the issue. I had them over for supper when their son had friends over. Have also had some that didn't work out so well too.
Trish, yes low carb is helpful, but its really hard to stick to. It DOES get easier over time tho, and more automatic, especially when you feel crummy when you go off plan. I am still addicted to sweets tho, don't know if that will ever end. Sugar free sweets are still sweets. And I have to keep the splenda to a dull roar or it stalls the weight loss.

have a good sunday everyone.

Ruthxxx
09-12-2010, 07:25 AM
Good morning. It's "drooly" out there, a good day to cozy in and quilt or cook. I love rainy Sundays.

Survived the wedding really well by focusing on salads and one sausage without a bun and no roasted corn. After a word with the bartender, I drank diet gingerale all evening. He was cool. When anyone wanted to buy me a drink, he'd say "The usual for the lady". I even managed to avoid having one of the wedding cake cupcakes!

So imagine my surprise when when the scale shows a pound UP this morning. It must be water retention so I'll watch the salt today. I had a Greek salad for lunch yesterday and olives and feta...... I'm also wondering about the aspartame in the diet gingerale. BGL was 4.1.

want2bfit4me
09-12-2010, 10:16 AM
Good morning everyone.............

I haven't posted in a few days. Kinda been down I guess. Probably had alot to do with my last day at work being this past Friday. I'm really going to miss the kids. Had to try to do alot of explaining to them why I was leaving. I do have about 3 weeks of paid leave that I am taking now. So I guess I am not really unemployed yet. I have not been sticking to my diet as well as I should and have not exercised in 4 days.

Well it's time to get back on track. I got up this morning and fasting blood sugar was 99. It's been a couple of weeks since I've see those kind of numbers. I'm guessing it was the stress. Ate a good breakfast and just finished my Leslie Sansone dvd of walk away the pounds. Did a 30 min 2 mile walk. I sure can tell I have not done any exercising in the past few days.
Got some chicken breast out of the freezer to thaw for supper tonight and I think I am going to cook up 2-3 different veggies to have in the fridge to heat up this week. Also need to tear up a head of lettuce. I do better if stuff is already ready to eat.

For those who advised me to go to the doctor I have an appt tomorrow. Will keep you posted as to what happens.

Thanks for listening
Leann

want2bfit4me
09-12-2010, 10:17 AM
Oh and I still weight 150. So at least I did not gain anything.

pattygirl63
09-12-2010, 12:10 PM
A quick one here. I've been reading on Dr. Bernstein's site and it has helped. I look forward to getting his book this week. I read on a diabetic thread on a lowcarb website something about doing 6-12-12 which I finally figured out is 6 grams at breakfast and 12 at lunch and 12 at dinner. So I decided to try to keep my carb grams between 30 and 40 grams. I guess it is working. Check BS before I went to bed and it was 97 mg/dl and this morning it was 102 mg/dl. I was thrilled to see 103 mg/dl 2 hrs after breakfast. My BP is up some though and I'm not sure why. I must be getting some salt from some where but I'm not sure where except that I did use a lot of season salt the other day when I cooked the beef roast. So I guess it could still be causing me problems now. I don't know how long it takes to get it back down to normal. I did lose 1 lb this which is how Dr. Bernstein says we should on his plan. So I am happy with that.

Ruth Congratulations on doing so well at the wedding. I think aspertame causes me to hold water too. I only use Stevia at home and when eating out, I use Splenda. But of course, we can't always control everything when out so I think you did really well. I loved the guys "give the lady the usually" to cover you. That was really nice of him.

Leann I'm know you are going to miss the children. It's good you still have some money coming in. That is great that you haven't gained any weight. I think you have really done well considering the stress you have been going though. So glad you have an appoint with the doctor tomorrow and hope you get the help you need.

CandEs, Fatmad, Rosebud and Everyone else:wave:

Y'all have a great Sunday.

fatmad
09-12-2010, 08:05 PM
Good morning everyone.............

I haven't posted in a few days. Kinda been down I guess. Probably had alot to do with my last day at work being this past Friday. I'm really going to miss the kids. Had to try to do alot of explaining to them why I was leaving. I do have about 3 weeks of paid leave that I am taking now. So I guess I am not really unemployed yet. I have not been sticking to my diet as well as I should and have not exercised in 4 days.

Well it's time to get back on track. I got up this morning and fasting blood sugar was 99. It's been a couple of weeks since I've see those kind of numbers. I'm guessing it was the stress. Ate a good breakfast and just finished my Leslie Sansone dvd of walk away the pounds. Did a 30 min 2 mile walk. I sure can tell I have not done any exercising in the past few days.
Got some chicken breast out of the freezer to thaw for supper tonight and I think I am going to cook up 2-3 different veggies to have in the fridge to heat up this week. Also need to tear up a head of lettuce. I do better if stuff is already ready to eat.

For those who advised me to go to the doctor I have an appt tomorrow. Will keep you posted as to what happens.

Thanks for listening
Leann

Leann, you are probably aware that job changes are often the number one stressors in our lives. They are such a big part of our day, of our identity, of our lives.
You are doing well to be sticking to plan, and making you a priority. Even your decision to go is putting yourself first, and in this case, that is certainly the right thing for you.

good luck and blessings on your job search.

want2bfit4me
09-12-2010, 10:08 PM
pattygirl63 and fatmad

Thank you so much for your words of encouragement. I just kind of feel lost right now and sort of overwhelmed. I know that as a nurse I probably have a better chance at a job than some people do. But just getting out there and putting in applications makes me a nervous wreck. I guess I just don't do well with change. The local hospital has an ad online for an lpn in 3 different clinics. So tomorrow I will stop by before I go to the doctor and pick up an application to get filled out and will return it one day this week. The hospital is 30 miles from the house. Our little town doesn't have much so you have to travel a bit. But I've done that before. I looked at my VA Hospital application and found out I have to have a copy of my transcript from nursing school to submit so I will stop by the school tomorrow to see what I need to do to get a copy of that. I still have to find a copy of my discharge papers from the army to submit also.
All this gave me a migraine headache this evening. Luckily I have medication that helps that. Really need to keep up with the exercise to help deal with the stress. It does help that I have a very understanding husband who will listen.

To anyone who believes in prayer I could use a few..............

Again thanks for listening to me vent. Will keep you posted...

Leann

pattygirl63
09-12-2010, 10:49 PM
Leann Yes I will definitely pray for you.

pattygirl63
09-13-2010, 09:52 AM
A quick Good Morning to you Ladies this morning. I'm trying to get used to getting up early again since I start Bible Study Fellowship Wednesday moring and will need to get up early to study everyday. I am happy to say that my FBS was 102 mg/dl again this morning and my BP was 114/64 back where I like it to be. So hopefully things are working.

Hope everyone has a great Monday.

want2bfit4me
09-13-2010, 10:59 AM
Trish Way to go on the blood sugar and blood pressure.

I woke up this morning feeling more focused about everything. Had my breakfast this morning of 1/2 cup of egg beaters with cheese on top and a sausage patty. Did not have any V8 this morning. It's on the grocery list for today. Just finished my 2 mile walk with Leslie Sansone again. Today was a classic walk and then a focus on arms. Sweating like a pig now. Fasting blood sugar was 104 this morning and I can deal with that. My goal for today is no bread. I ate 3 slices yesterday even though they are low carb. I want to get back on the very low carb eating and maybe that will jump start my weight loss again along with the exercise.

Now have to cool off so I can shower and go to town to start on my list of things to do there.

Have a wonderful day and thanks for the prayers........

Leann

fatmad
09-13-2010, 06:58 PM
have survived 1.5 days with no splenda, no diet soda either, of any kind.
Woot, this is hard. I am craving sweets soo much, and want soda terribly.
Lots of veggies. Lots of water. Lets hope tomorrows weigh in looks better, I haven't budged in over a week.
ack.

Justwant2Bhealthy
09-13-2010, 08:53 PM
LEANN ~ sent up prayers for you too; hope you got all your errands done (maybe get a few copies made of you credentials for your files while you are at it). Sounds like you are doing well with the eating despite all the stress you are under; good for you! :carrot:

MAD ~ well, she works during the day, but he isn't right now as he lost another job; I think the 'til 4 am party and music was becuz of that. We are praying for him as he just can't seem to hold anything very long, but he always worked during the day when he did work. When he is not working (which is most of the time), he parties late and sleeps in; and DH goes to bed early and rises early (opposites really). I know others who have that kind of clash too; it's hard becuz our bedrooms go back to back and they party in them too. In our last place, the bedrooms were on opposite ends, so you could retreat to them and close the doors for some quiet. We so can't wait til our cabin at our lot is finished so that we can retreat there when the parties are on here.

RUTH & TRISH ~ you are all doing very, very well ... :cheer2:

We were away to our lot on Friday & Saturday; brought our double lawn chair up there where it is supposed to be. Boy, the fella did a terrific job -- it is so comfortable to sit in. I spent my time giving it a few quick coats of stain to protect it before the rains came back again; hope it's OK now. I was sure sore the next day, so I took Sunday off to rest completely.

Today, I am still a bit sore, but did get lots of laundry done anyways; soon I will go and rest up for the night, as we have to go to the city tomorrow for DH to get a cat scan for his memory problems. We hope to have a good day and do a wee bit of shopping whilst we are there.

Have a wonderful week, everyone ... Rosebud :flow2:

want2bfit4me
09-14-2010, 10:36 AM
Hi everyone.

I did get quite a bit accomplished yesterday. Everything on my list but checking into a medicare supplement for the DH. I figure it would be cheaper than regular insurance since he has medicare anyway.

Went to the doctor. He did not seem to concerned with my frequent periods and just wanted to put me on provera (hormone to regulate the bleeding). I explained to him that I was concerned at to why I was having the bleeding and would feel better having an endometrial biopy. He agreed that it would be the only way to rule out endometrial cancer which increases in obese women with diabetes and over the age of 40. So I have one scheduled in 10 days. Just hope I don't start another period before then or will have to postpone it due to lack of endometrial tissue. Anyway hope thats not to much info for you.:o

Blood sugar was 96 fasting this morning and I am just thrilled. I have weighted 149 the past couple of mornings so that makes 10 pounds I have lost. :carrot::carrot:

I did not want to exercise this morning but did it anyway. Did 2 1 mile walks with my dvd. I was alittle sore from working out the past 2 days and then all of the walking I did yesterday. Anyway its done for another day.

I did good yesterday and did not have any bread. Will try again with that today. Maybe that's why my bs was lower today.

Thank you for all of the prayers. I can feel them helping.

Leann:hug:

fatmad
09-14-2010, 07:42 PM
Leann: I am so proud of you, you stood up for yourself in a gently assertive way. I would love to be the weight that you are, and and so impressed you are getting your weight in line now, before you keep going up to where I am. You are doing good things for yourself. HOpe the job hunt goes well.
Keep up the exercise, its a gift to yourself.

want2bfit4me
09-14-2010, 08:20 PM
fatmad Thank you so much for the wonderful thoughts. It Almost brought tears to my eyes. About 3 years ago I weighed 172lbs. I did south beach and lost 30lbs but of course put some of it back on. It amazes me how people on here (whom we have never met in person) can be so supportive and caring to one another. I have truly been blessed by finding this forum.

I am trying and taking it one day at a time. I think that's all any of us can do.

You are a very special and caring person. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Also 18lbs is nothing to sneeze about. Be proud of what you have accomplished.

Leann

fatmad
09-14-2010, 08:56 PM
thanks Leann, I AM grateful for every pound that I have removed. When I am losing so slowly I remind myself that I am getting my life in line permanently, I am not "on a diet". But menopause and my metabolism make things slow. It is quite frustrating. Going on induction again worked for a bit, but I am stalled again already, and have cut more things out. (like diet sodas, and everything with splenda or any other sweetener in it).

Planning my food for tomorrow. I have an all day meeting where they supply food. Its usually whole foods, lots of salads, but heavy on grains. SO I will take some chicken salad for me, a shake for breakfast, my own dips and dressings etc.
FOr supper, I am taking my daughter out! Looking forward to seeing her.

pattygirl63
09-15-2010, 07:11 PM
Didn't realize I hadn't checked in here in a few days. I got Dr. Bernsteins book yesterday and spent time reading it. He recommends eating 6 g carbs at breakfast time as he says after breakfast the BS is going to go up regardless. I guess that is true. I've taken my FBS and had it turn out fairly low and then taken it just before I eat and it is higher. Has to do with the dawn phenomena. He recommends 12 g for each meal and snack after that. I don't always hit 12 but I do stay within the 12 g. My FBS has been below 110 mg/dl for all but 1 day the past 5. So maybe I'm getting it right.

He also says we should lose 1 lb a week, but if we lose more just consider ourself luck. So I guess the weight will be coming off slow. Fatmad from what he says in the book... if we are eating the way we will eat the rest of our lives that when we reach our goal that the weight will not come back. It's like my Daddy told me... we will be used to eating this way and be used to our portion control and the weight stay off this time. I've only lost about 21 lbs since January 1, but I'm thankful for what I've lost. You and Leann and anyone else here who has lost weight whether slow or fast, should be proud of the fact that you have lost weight. We are all doing this in a little different ways, but we are doing something good and healthy for ourselves. That is something I am very proud of all of us for. We will succeed, because we keep on... we are not giving up.

I did learn from another site, that the reason we get so tired as we get our BS normal is that our bodies have to adjust to the normal BS. So I guess we just have to be patient while our bodies catch up with what we are doing.

Y'all have a great evening.

Ruthxxx
09-16-2010, 08:43 AM
** Sigh ** I thought we were supposed to get smarter as we get older. :(

Woke to a 2.7 FBGL again this morning and I know why. I had a meeting last night out of town and ate supper at 5. I was home shortly after 11 and had a glass of wine without any food. Woke up this morning feeling weird. So silly! I had a cheese sandwich on rye bread and some milk and am back on track now.

Today I will strive for balance and am going to try to remember to eat some red meat. I suspect my iron is low again and will make sure to get it checked next time I go for bloodwork. My mother used to insist we have liver once a week but I don't think I can cope with cooking that so it'll be beef stir-fried with peppers tonight. I did get some low carb noodles and will serve it with that.

Weightloss is starting to look impossible. I didn't weigh this morning but suspect I'm still 192. The 180 seem as far away as the moon but then I remember how hard it was to get below 200 and renew the struggle.

On we go ... even if it seems all uphill!

pattygirl63
09-16-2010, 12:06 PM
Ruth We all do crazy things. I ate peanuts late last night. Just got hungry for them, but as we know they are not a think we can eat just a serving. Well, I usually can if I count them out, but I didn't so ate way more than should have. Plus I can never eat them or anything else after 9ish. So my number was 113 mg/dl. I was so upset with me because my numbers have been being <110 when I stop with my stirfry/protein before 9. I guess we live and learn.

Got up this morning and had a 1 egg omlet with Canadian Bacon, slice of cheese in a light wrap. Tore some of the wrap off to get the carbs down to around 7g. I figure I will use the formula or close to the formula of 6-12-12, but modify it. I've already give up oatmeal because it caused such a drastic raise in BS. Going to do a 2 hr BS reading to see if I did okay with the wrap. If it didn't raise it much, I'll make that my morning breakfast.

Have a great day.

want2bfit4me
09-16-2010, 06:17 PM
Hi everyone
Hope everyone is having a good week.

I dropped another 2 lbs down to 147 and it was 147 2 days in a row so maybe I can count it. The only thing I can say is that not knowingly I have eaten South Beach for the past 4 days now. So maybe that has given me a bit of a jump start again.

Tues & Wed of the week my FBS were 96 and was 101 this morning. Bedtime sugars were 88 and 94. Pretty good I think. Guess it has to do with the no carb thing.

Anyway today has been rough on the wanting to eat thing. I also have been really crabby with the DH. He's getting on my nerves right now. Don't know if that means TOM is coming again or what. If it does then out goes the test at the dr's office. Guess just have to wait and see........

Trish I really thing if we could go more with Dr. Berstein's approach we would see lower BS numbers but I so miss oatmeal especially with the cooler weather coming on..........

Madeline How is the no splenda thing going. Hope well.

Rosebud Have you heard the results on DH cat scan yet? Also wish you could share pics of your cabin. It sound's heavenly.

Ruth I don't know if we ever learn. Speaking of liver. I remember having to eat it as a child and we would cut it up as tiny as possible, drown it in ketchup and then I would swallow it like a pill with milk. Still today you could not get me to touch it.

Leann

pattygirl63
09-16-2010, 07:20 PM
Leann CONGRATULATIONS!!! on the 2 lb loss. I also have to see a lower weight for a few days before I'm sure it is real. Must be a diabetic thing for the lbs to bounce around between a lb or 2. It sure is for me any way. I've been seeing a lower #, but not consistantly which means it is coming but not real yet. I can't or don't want to go totally no carbs either. I am working to keep within Dr. Bernsteins' 6-12-12 formula, but I believe that as long as I stay within the carb grams the way he says that it will work just as well for me. Of course, the FBS/BS readings will tell if I'm right.

Ruth & Leann Years ago when my the children were little, WW insisted we had to eat liver once a week. We ate it once a week until one day as we were getting ready to go to the store, my youngest son gave a sad look and said, "Mommy do we have to have liver this week?" I don't think I ever fixed it for the kids again. When my grandchildren came along, I tried giving it to them (not as often)... fixed it every way possible, but they just couldn't go it. Now days, I wonder how healthy it is since it filters toxins from the body. :dizzy: Still like it, but don't eat it very often. I find it hard to find good liver.

Have a great evening.

fatmad
09-16-2010, 07:54 PM
Had some splenda today. Ate really well yesterday at my meetings and at supper with the kids. BUt when I finally got home, I rested a bit, but got called out to work. GOt home @ 330am, just a few hours of sleep before office this morning. So I started the day with a protein smoothie, and my protein powder has splenda in it.
No weight loss. Going off call for a few days, so will rest lots and get some exercise in.
I am seriously thinking of "stopping" with attempts toward weight loss until the end of the month, go up the carb ladder just enough not to gain, and then go back to induction in October when I am off call and can exercise a lot.
Gonna train for either a mini cross country race or biathalon for January, give myself a fitness goal.
I'm ok with where I am now, I got below 170, which was a big deal for me. I will fold my hand while I am ahead. I am NOT behind, and NOT losing ground. THis is all good.

Justwant2Bhealthy
09-16-2010, 09:11 PM
RUTH ~ my mother's favorite way to prepare liver is to fry a bit bacon in a pan; set bacon aside. Dredge in a little flour with S & P and cook it in the fat of bacon with some onion slices; put the bacon back in and heat. My siblings still hated it even though that is nice, so I tried something -- I put season-all (or you can use Seasoned-Salt) in the flour (a good tbl for sure) and then fry it in oil. I prefer to use the thin slices and cook them until they are crisp on the outside, yet soft in the middle. I had so many compliments from my family and customers when I worked as a cook for that method. The secret is the seasoning!!!

LEANN ~ no, we haven't heard anything yet; I supposed we will hear from them eventually ... I have posted a picture of our camper, but our cabin is just started -- we only have the porch done. I wish we had done more this year, but it just wasn't possible in the spring. My DAD was so distraught over his youngest brother's illness (he passed away while my Dad was here); and the Dad got sick with a flu too (he is much better now). Also, we have limited funds but hope to have enuff by next spring to finish the shell. The area is very nice and peaceful; but our little cottage has a long way to go yet. I will take picks at that time and show them for sure.

We had lovely :sunny: today and temps in the 60's which is a lot nicer; supposed to be the same tomorrow. We may go out to our lot and I'll take a picture of that double lawnchair while I'm there. I did get some pics of our bright red crabapples on our little tree. :lol:

I did much better with my eating the last couple of days. Had roast chicken with piles of veggies for dinner. Hope you all have a fab Friday tomorrow ... Rosebud :flow2:

----------------------------------

BTW, the day we went to the city for the test; I was very clever and packed us up a small cooler with healthy snacks and water for me (pop for DH). I wondered if I should make some sandwiches, but thought, "no, we can just pick something up somewhere" ... NOT!

Big mistake! Those who fail to plan, plan to fail! So we couldn't find anything and were getting so hungry; so I send DH to get us something to eat ... and we ended up having cheese nachos for our lunch.

Thank goodness, I had a light breakfast and then got right back on track for dinner and I'm sure I didn't go over my maintenance calories for the day, but lesson learned. I have informed DH that from now on -- HE DOES NOT BUY CHEESE NACHOS FOR ME ANYMORE even if I ask him to!!! Now, I hope this will end the self-sabotage ... :yes:

pattygirl63
09-16-2010, 10:25 PM
Fatmad I didn't realize you were doing Induction while being so busy. I think being busy and unable to rest as you should probably should not be a time to do Induction. So I think your decision to wait is wise. And I think you've done very well under the circumstances.

Rosebud The liver dish sounds really good. I will have to try it. I look forward to seeing your pics. Congratulations on the way you handled the nacho cheese situation and for getting right back on plan. You should be pleased with yourself for the accomplishment.

want2bfit4me
09-17-2010, 08:52 AM
Madeline I agree. Sometimes we just need to back off a bit and take a breather. Especially if you are so busy you can't think straight. I think maybe this will help with not just blowing it altogether but being more in control of things.

Rosebud I didn't realize that you were just starting on the cabin. Guess I need to pay closer attention. I totally understand the money thing and I think it is better to do what you can than to go further in debt due to the economy like it is. Looking forward to any pics..........

FBS today was 95. Weight was down another lb to 146. Today will make day 5 of south beach phase one. I am liking what I am seeing. That makes 4 lbs since Sunday. But I know that if I throw a carb in there that it will stall the weight loss. So I guess I have to make a choice. Funny it's not so much the weight loss that I am excited about but the blood sugar.

Going to turn in some applications today. Had to fill out 1 application for every position that I am applying for at the hospital. Pick up some medicines for me and DH. Then come back and pick up granddaughter from school. They get out early today. Hair cut this afternoon. Looks like it will be a busy day. So where do I fit exercise in there. After supper?

Anyways have a good day
Taking one day at a time
Leann

pattygirl63
09-17-2010, 03:33 PM
Good afternoon Ladies

This is a quick flyby, but I wanted to share something I thought y'all would be interested in reading on David Mendosa's website I found. The book I'm reading by Gretchen Becker. In this blog, he discusses Controlling the Dawn Phenomenon and I'm sure y'all will find it interesting. I'm going to try the vinegar one and see how it helps me. I think he explains it better than I can.

You will find it at http://www.mendosa.com/blog/?p=232

Catch y'all later.

theCandEs
09-17-2010, 08:27 PM
Hello, everyone! So sorry I haven't been keeping up. Soccer has started around here an between practice and games and cooking and homework, it is just too much. I've still been getting some wacky readings. Trish, I heard about using vinegar. I just can't stand the taste of it. Ugh! I've been putting cinnamon in my yogurt. It's supposed to work, too. Grapefruit is also supposed to be beneficial. I don't like that, either. I've been having 2 oz. with breakfast. A shot size is all I can handle. LOL

want2bfit4me
09-17-2010, 09:05 PM
Trish I have noticed that when I do a homemade oil and vinegar dressing I have better readings the rest of the day. It sure can't hurt you.

thecandEs I take cinnamon capsules twice a day. Don't know if they help or not. I wish I could do the grapefruit. I love it but it goes against some of my medications.

Got my 3 applications turned in today. Stopped by the Rescue Mission which is kinda like the Good Will only cheaper and found 2 Leslie Sansone Video's for 50 cents a piece. She is who I exercise to. I have not looked at them yet to make sure they play or not.

Stayed on track biggest part of this week. Doing no carb. Except tonight I had about 1/3 cup of chili and 1/4 of a grilled cheese sandwich on low carb bread. Exercised every day since this past Sunday. Not to bad I think.

Have a good weekend
Leann

Ruthxxx
09-18-2010, 07:55 AM
Hi, Chickies. I'm plugging along, trying to be mindful. That super-low of 2.7 on Thursday morning scared me.

Today will have some challenges: I'm meeting my sister for lunch which should be OK and then have a "shore dinner" at my friend Barb's place. It's her birthday and there will be cake, however, they DO have a friendly moocher of a dog so ... ;) I'll do the diet gingerale thing to avoid wine - it worked last weekend although I don't want the artificial sweeteners.

Have a good weekend, EveryChick!

Justwant2Bhealthy
09-18-2010, 08:28 PM
:wave: We had a busy day at our camper/lot yesterday; got lots of exercise in using my new battery-operated weed whacker, but I was so sore last night and this AM. Now I need the weekend to recupe ... do I every learn. I really have to learn to pace myself better, but I had never done this before and I was just so amazed at how good it worked. I did takes lots of breaks though, but I will take it a bit easier next time for sure.

Have been eating much better for the week; having a few cravings tonight and trying to battle them. Seems to be chocolate tonight -- so I had a NSA low-cal chocolate pudding and a few very small mini-squares of 85% dark chocolate for my dessert tonight; hope that works for me. Time for some tea now ... that usually help too.

I went to that site and they also recommend 5 oz red wine with dinner; I think RUTH already knew that trick. I wonder though -- is it the cheese or the vinegar that brings down the numbers. If I just have cheese in the evening, my fasting blood sugars are lower in the morning too. I have to watch the vinegar, as it can irritate my stomach.

Hope you all have a great weekend ... Rosebud :flow2:

theCandEs
09-19-2010, 12:10 AM
Hi, everyone! I'm doing another flyby because I'm ready for bed. I just wanted to share what just happened to me. I saw a picture of myself on my church website, and get this, it's from behind! OMG! I know I'm fat, but that picture is horrendous! I easily have the biggest butt in the room! Granted, I've lost about 15 pounds since it was taken, but still. I think I'm gonna go cry. :cry:

fatmad
09-19-2010, 12:58 AM
Madeline I agree. Sometimes we just need to back off a bit and take a breather. Especially if you are so busy you can't think straight. I think maybe this will help with not just blowing it altogether but being more in control of things.

Anyways have a good day
Taking one day at a time
Leann

thanks Leann and everyone for your support. I don't know why I was concerned and worried there would be criticism about it.
And you are right Leanne, I am eating well, and getting about 40 g carbs/day, just not induction levels. In fact, Atkins is becoming quite engrained. Went out for supper last night, stuck to plan. Hosted a dinner party tonight and stuck to plan. Even while preparing the food, I didn't even taste the carb stuff that was part of the menu for everyone else.
Not really tempted. I am not having big cravings, except for sweets, and that is mostly manageable. Also, re the dinner party, after supper, we cleared the table and played a game, (settlers of cataan) and had a great time, just visiting, playing etc. It was great to have a good time not really centred around food. Although the dinner was the excuse to get together, and I did put a good meal on, I didn't feel like the food was the focus.
THis is SO important to our long term ability to manage our eating and weight.

Ruthxxx
09-19-2010, 08:05 AM
Good morning. I've decided I need to set smaller goals - like not gaining after an event like the shore dinner and keeping the BGL stable. Being less than 191 for my Italy trip is probably not going to happen but I'll be OK with that.

I imagine not gaining over the holiday will be practically impossible! What ever possessed me to sign up for a "foodie" holiday!

The shore dinner last night was just awful - potatoes, macaroni salad, breaded fish, rolls and apple pie! I just picked away before ditching my plate and used being diabetic as an excuse to turn down the pie.

"One piece won't hurt you."
"Yes, it will."
"My brother is diabetic and eats it all the time."
"Have you ever dealt with someone in a diabetic coma?"

That ended that conversation.

Today is clean and pure eats including a bowl of my yummy clam chowder for lunch - 2 oz of potato only!

want2bfit4me
09-19-2010, 09:36 AM
Madeline You should really be proud of you self staying on plan during your parties. Glad you had a good time.

Ruth Don't you just hate it when someone tells you what you should be able to eat. Everyone's body is different in how many and what kinds of carbs they can handle. I was talking to my neighbor last night who is a diabetic and we were talking about eating beans. I can only eat about 1/4 cup with out raising my blood sugar. She says they don't bother her at all. Go figure............

thecandEs Don't you know that pictures always make us look bigger than what we are. Just look how far you have come and where you were. We did not get this way over night and we sure can't change it overnight. Take a deep breath and move on...........

Rosebud Enjoy your time out there but don't over do it. I did not know that they made a battery powered weed eater. What will they think of next.

Now for me. I did so well this past week and was very proud of myself. I exercised 6 days in a row and ate at induction the whole time since Monday. Last night hubby wanted Kentucky Fried Chicken. I told him that I could do that. I did not eat that much but the scale showed I added 2 pounds today. I figure some of that might be water???????? Anyway can't cry over spilled milk. Chalk it up as one of those places I just can't eat. Was trying to be good to DH as he had even offered to eat somewhere that was not as tempting for me. I love that man.

Today is a new day with new choices to be made.
I put a beef roast in the crock pot with potatoes for DH and baby carrots and onions for supper tonight.

Have a good day and be good to yourself.
You deserve it...........

Leann

pattygirl63
09-19-2010, 02:14 PM
Hi Everyone,

This is a quick flyby. Busy day reading the other diabetic book trying to get through with it.

Ruth In this book by Gretchen Becker who is a T2 diabetic says that just because one diabetic can eat something doesn't mean another diabetic can. It kind of goes along with the YMMV from mine. It is like I told my doc, I love oatmeal and maybe a lot of diabetics can eat it, but I can't. I had the BS reading of 222mg/dl in front of him to read it. You handled the situation very well. Good for you.

Rosebud I don't like red wine, but I can't drink the vinegar. I need to get the organic from health food store. I know I can do that. However, I made a lettuce, spinach and cheese stick salad and put the vinegar on it. I didn't get the whole 2 T but I believe the little bit I had is helping bring the FBS down. Time will tell.

Leann I always show a little gain when I eat fried chicken in restaurants, but it always comes back down in a day or two. It is probably the seasoning. Just drink a little bit more water to flush it out. I won't eat fried chicken right now, but when I get my BS stable, that will be one of splurges once in a while.

Hope everyone else will have a great Sunday.

fatmad
09-19-2010, 04:21 PM
Leann: I am sure the extra weight is just water, its the salty seasoning.
Ruth: who understands why people become food pushers? Its just wrong. Turned out none of my guests last night ate shrimp, and I made a shrimp appetizer, with peanut sauce for dipping. So I gave them crackers, they all enjoyed. I mean, really, would I try to "make" them eat shrimp?
Its also odd how many people try to "make" me drink alcohol. They figure its only ok not to drink if I'm an (admitted) alcoholic. Don't get just choosing not to drink......ack. Good response tho. LOL
Have a nice sunday everyone.

Justwant2Bhealthy
09-19-2010, 08:21 PM
"Have you ever dealt with someone in a diabetic coma?"

Haha, RUTH ~ that's a good one! :rofl: I will remember it! When I read the menu; I thought ... Oh, Nooo! How do you get around that one? That was a toughie ... but I would have opted for the fish. Next year: Shore Dinner -- either pass or take your own food! :lol:

MADELEINE ~ you are doin' great with your dinners! Last Christmas, I put out stuff that I knew that I could have a few and not ruin my day (deluxe mixed nuts, peppered cashews, cheese & olives, dark chocolate-covered almonds, bits & bites for the munchers, and wg crackers, etc). Everyone was tickled with all the nuts ...

CANDES ~ :hug: I agree with LEANN; pictures always make us appear at least 15-20 lbs heavier than we actually are. I have a picture of myself a neighbor took of me and I put it in a special place as a reminder to me why I am on this healthy journey. Yes, I was shocked and sad to see it, and yes, I cried too; but I also knew that I was under so much stress at that time. I am actually grateful for that picture: it was one of the things that motivated me to make some good changes -- for ME!!! :hug:

TRISH ~ ya, I don't mind a little wine now and then; don't have any red in the house right now though. Sometimes I like a sprinkle of apple cider vinegar on my coleslaw; gives it a very nice twang ... ;)

LEANN ~ I would bet (like Madeleine says) that those 2 lbs are indeed water-weight from the salt & seasonings; and would expect some blips that will go down in a few days anyways. I love that weed-whacker; it is small and light -- even I can use it. DH says the battery weighs more than it does; I think he's right! :lol:

I think that some diabetics on insulin and other meds do eat pasta, oatmeal, and sugar even. I was told the same thing; but I think that each of us is different and can tailor our menu to what works best for us. I can have a small new potato with skin and I'm fine; same with a bit of corn or peas. It mostly seems to be what I have for my snacks that make a big difference now, especially in the evenings.

Of course, I have changed the way we eat so much that it is almost hard for me to recall what we ate 5+ years ago; but that's OK too. We have cut out the worst offenders and that is what matters; and we have cut our servings down considerably as well, and that is another thing that has made a huge difference. We eat much healthier overall now ...

We just stayed home today and took it easy; had a good sleep last night and so I felt much better this morning. I tossed in one load of laundry today; just some throws that needed doing. We had leftover roast chicken and veggies for dinner tonight; and I also baked up some rhubarb with apples, that needed using up too.

Have a great week everyone ... Rosebud :flow2:

pattygirl63
09-19-2010, 09:08 PM
CandEs:hug: I know how you feel about pictures, but you said you've lost the 15lbs since the picture so give yourself an A+ for losing that 15 lbs remembering that you've done something good for yourself... and you lost instead of gaining. I hope you are feeling better today.

Ruthxxx
09-20-2010, 06:35 AM
Quick check-in today. Reality is striking and telling me I won't be in the 180's by Italy time so my goal over the next ten days will be to hold the line on weight and BGL.

Cooked a proper Sunday dinner yesterday - it's easy to not cook when you are by yourself. The pork roast was very, very dry - way too lean, I guess. Now I'm stuck with a hunk of cooked meat. Any suggestions?

I did OK over the weekend. Now to stride through the week. Water, protein, veggies and exercise are the prescription. Add fruit to that as the local apples and fall raspberries have arrived!

want2bfit4me
09-20-2010, 12:18 PM
Ok so this is a new day with better choices to be made.

I have had my good breakfast and did my exercising this morning.

Last night after supper all I could do was snack. For supper had a beef roast that I cooked in the crock pot with half of a small potato, some baby carrots and a small onion. After supper had some picked beets, ham and cheese roll up, 2 dill pickle spears, pork rinds, 2 no sugar added popsicles and a few bit and pieces of melba toast. It must be going to be TOM again.

Anyway can't do that again today. When I had gotten on the scale this morning I had dropped down to 147 again. So I guess it did not hurt me to bad. I did not check my blood sugar last night because I was afraid of what it would say. This morning fasting was 106.

Need to plan better meals. Had to many starchy veggies last night. I cooked up some yellow summer squash yesterday. Part of it steamed and part roasted. Then roasted some okra. That will give me a couple of choices this week besides salad and fresh veggies this week.

I plan on making stuffed green peppers for supper tonight but instead of rice I am going to use 1 cup of couscous for 4 peppers. Will have a nice salad with it.

Have a good day
Leann

fatmad
09-20-2010, 06:07 PM
Ruth: it seems like we have to lose our weight slowly, keeping sugars normal is more important than weight loss, or at least quick losses. We can't lose weight in the same way as others, and we have to balance things carefully.
I know your holiday is a foodie thing, but often we get lots of walking on trips to Europe. I know I lost a couple of pounds and inches when I went to Scotland, in spite of plenty of beer and cider, eating out, including fish and chips etc. But I walked about 10 miles every day. At least 2-3 hours of walking the whole time. Really helped. I wasn't pre-diabetic then, but it was my first start into my weight loss journey, happened quite by accident.
So walk and that will help your sugars and keep the waist line in line!

pattygirl63
09-20-2010, 07:11 PM
Ruth I know what you mean about cooking for one. DH and I don't always eat the same things and it is difficult to decide what to fix for just me. We are both diabetic, use different diets. I went today and got me a roasted chicken so I will have protein for salad, stirfry and soups for me to eat. As for your pork roast, have you ever tried making a soup out of it? I did that one time and it was good.

Leann Your supper yesterday sounds great. I do love beef roast. Probably my favorite since I started lowcarb. Isn't strange how we can think we've blown it and find we've lost weight the next day. I've done that and wondered how that could be. Congratulations on the weight loss, and the low blood sugar this morning.

Stayded up too late this morning and then got up and had to go get DH prescription from drs office and take it to the pharmacy. They wer closing for lunch so I told them I would pickup the meds tomorrow. Got home and realized I needed to order my Metformin so will get all our meds tomorrow.
While out I went to the health food store and got the orgnic apple cider vinegar and found some other things I decided to get. I found a package of Stevia for cooking and got it. I've got me some homemade lc candy in the freezer. I got some recipes off of Linda' Low Carb Menus & Recipe site. That way I won't be using the protein bars.

fatmad You are right on about the weight coming off slowly. I see a lower number for days before it becomes a permanent thing. Saw 213.5 this morning but can't count it yet because it may be a week before I see it again. My FBS is good and I'm sure will be pleasing to the doc, but I won't be happy with it until it is below 100. Just hope I can get it there. I'm seeing below 110 from time to time, but not consistent yet.

CandEs and others reading :wave:

Y'all have a good evening.

Justwant2Bhealthy
09-20-2010, 09:51 PM
HI LADIES ~ my weight is coming off very slow now too; but that is OK with me ... I figure the slower it comes off, the longer it will stay off too. So far, that seems to be working. I am still losing inches all the time as well; so the early AM toning exercises are really helping me a lot. I am slowly moving down the size #'s and that is my goal.

Ate good today; have been a bit hungry myself lately -- makes me wonder if TOM is on its way again too. I always get hungry just before it arrives and during as well. We had Shepherd's pie for dinner tonight; I had a small bit of salad with mine as well. Sure fills you up; I think my stomach must be shrinking (on the inside too) as since I cut down our portions, I feel fuller much faster than before ... and I am happy about it too!

WE had another lovely :sunny: day with temps in the 60's. A lovely young Whiskey Jack (grayjay) came by around dinner time and was filling her gullet with some food to take back to her home. A blackbird tried to chase her away; but she was patient and just waited on the rooftop until they thought she was gone -- then she swooped down and grabbed a bunch more before leaving for the night.

Just had a quiet day at home today, doing stuff around here; hope you all have a great week ... Rosebud :flow2:

Ruthxxx
09-21-2010, 06:06 AM
Brrrr ... I hope we dodged the frost last night but it's sure cold in here. I guess turning the furnace down instead of OFF would make things better. Duh!

Patty, thanks for the soup suggestion. I may try that - maybe with Swiss chard. I love having a stash of soup in the freezer and have even had it for breakfast.

Low BGL of 3.2 again this morning so I've had some milk mixed with real gingerale. I usually do the OJ and gingerale but had no OJ. An omelet with peppers and a potato is on the rest of the menu this morning. Today I get my veggie Good Food Box and hope it inspires me for dinner. I may do chicken livers with mushrooms and peppers with quinoa, my new grain love.

Have a good Tuesday and let's keep on track.

Justwant2Bhealthy
09-21-2010, 05:25 PM
:wave: Had hot cereal for breakfast today; and made veggie-lentil/bean soup for lunch -- it was sooo good and perfect for a cold, wet day like today. We were awaken by a huge thunderstorm early this AM; lots of lightening too. Had to disconnect my PC until this afternoon. Probably have something baked for dinner tonight (like fish or chicken).

RUTH ~ I use leftover roast meat in soups all the time; and on sandwiches sometimes (even if it's just half a one). It makes lots of healthy meals that way too. I made some homemade soup today too. We can't get quinoa here, but I put a bit of barley in my soup today for a grain.

The :sunny: is now peaking through our kitchen window; that might help warm things up a bit. We took our air conditioners out this morning as the wind was howling here all night too. Pretty sure fall is here now ... :lol:

Have a great week ... Rosebud :flow2:

Ruthxxx
09-22-2010, 07:59 AM
A gloomy, cool and wet morning but the good news is that the scale finally budged a pound and BGL is just fine. When I'm away, I'll be focusing on BGL, rather than pounds, but ti's nice to know I'm not stuck.

I tackled the dried up pork yesterday and made a taco filling. It was quite yummy wrapped in frilly lettuce leaves. I've frozen the rest in meal-sized portions and may try it next on small ww tortillas when I get some. I also ended up with three huge cauliflowers leftover from the Good Food Box. Those will be frozen and blanched today. I had chicken breast, cauliflower and chard for dinner last night. I think I'm getting back into cooking mode.

Exercise isn't happening much. I am having pain in my legs in the early morning. The doc says the nerves are regenerating in the leg that was operated on. That was more than two years ago but I guess I'll believe him.

Enjoy the first day of autumn - the blue and gold time.

pattygirl63
09-22-2010, 08:33 AM
A quick flyby this morning. Things are going good. No real exercise, but staying busy moving around more. Been getting out and going shopping etc without DH while he sleeps in the mornings. I've decided that I need to be more independent. When my second husband died, I decided that I would never get so dependent on one again. However, I think it is easy to get dependent. Tony is a home person and I was one who like to get out and go places, so I'm breaking out of this sedentary life I've developed in the past 7 yrs. I've had a busy week and the rest of the week is the same. BSF this morning, DH has drs appt this afternoon with cardiologist, we both have drs appts with primary Friday and I'm getting a perm Saturday. Then things start over Sunday.

It has been warm here and will be until Saturday or Sunday then it is supposed to get a little cooler. Of course they always tell us that and then change it to hot.

Ruth Glad the scale has moved for you and BGL is good too. I think you should enjoy your trip to Itally and do the best you can. I'm sure you will do fine.

Y'all have a great day and I'll check in again when I can.

theCandEs
09-22-2010, 04:12 PM
Thanks, everyone! I was really depressed to see that picture, and I'm trying to put it behind me (no pun intended). Thanks for understanding! :grouphug:

Trish, get out and do something fun! I know what you mean about hot. It's been crazy hot here.

Ruth, a pound lost is a pound lost! I would take it right now. lol Hope your leg feels better soon.

Rosebud, send us the rain! It's been so hot here with no rain. Our trees are dying.

Well, it's time to think about dinner. Y'all have a great evening!

fatmad
09-22-2010, 09:49 PM
hey everyone, going off induction to 40g carbs was not so great, have gained a couple of pounds. Will start back to induction again. blood sugars are fine, so I can take the carbs a bit, which is great, if I wasn't gaining weight. Quite busy with work, have had two nights of little sleep in a row, with short day time sleeps, so I am quite out of sorts. Am off call for the night to get rested again for safety. This is when eating properly is the hardest. At the grocery store I was craving baked goods like crazy, so settled for some NAS pudding.
Has anyone tried creme fraiche instead of yoghurt or sour cream?
There is some available at the grocer today, made by Liberte, the same makers of yummy greek yoghurt. bought a couple of containers, and was thinking it would be good for making beef stroganoff or using in cheesecake instead of sour cream.

pattygirl63
09-22-2010, 10:18 PM
Fatmad I've not said anything, but I allow myself between 30 and 40 g of carb however I can't eat but very little more than 30. I have to keep it closer to 30g.

I've never heard of creme fraiche, I don't really like greek yogurt but I buy the plain because of the low carb count. Let us know how it tastes.

I ordered me a Cuisinart Ice Cream, Yogurt and Sorbet maker so that I can make lowcarb ice cream. I miss ice cream and can't eat the diet or even the lowcarb store bought. I figure if I make it myself then I will know what is in it.

fatmad
09-23-2010, 05:57 AM
so, my old friend insomnia is visiting, no wonder after the crazy hours I have been keeping. The melatonin didn't help much.
Trish, I have made homemade ice cream, used a Suzanne somers recipe, but it is TOO creamy, if that makes sense. So rich it was hard to enjoy. Let me know how the cuisinart works for it. I find my little donvier doesn't aerate it much and its really dense, even more than with Hagen-daas.
I wish hagen-daas made a low carb ice cream, they recently started a lower fat line. Its easy to get low or lower fat stuff, not so easy for low or lower carb.
I wish the splenda people would put out a liquid form without the maltodextrine etc.
well, I have lots of time to make my food for the day. I am waiting a bit so my rummaging in the kitchen doesn't wake the rest of the family.
ttfn

Ruthxxx
09-23-2010, 06:32 AM
:wave: and :coffee: at Fatmad. I don't think I have insomnia but am wakening earlier and earlier. It may be my body getting ready for the six hour time difference in Italy. BGL was also lowish at 3.7 this morning which could be why I'm awake so early.

Today will start off with a rushing around morning as I need to make a flying trip to Kingston to pick up my new sewing machine and some quilt backing. It'll be two hours of driving for half an hour of shopping, not what I'd planned but I do have to be home for the dogs. Donna, who usually cleans for me on Thursdays, has to work at the Diner today so ... Actually that's a good thing because I have a mega-list of "stuff" that needs doing before the weekend which is booked fairly solid. Freezing the rest of the cauliflower is on the top of the list.

Hey! It's harvest moon tonight. I'm hoping it's a clear and warmish evening so I can sit on the deck and enjoy it.

fatmad
09-23-2010, 10:35 PM
cauliflower, mmm, I need to make something with my cauliflower. HOmemade shepherds pie? non-potato salad? Mashed non-potatoes with butter?
Any other ideas?
off to bed. hope for a good nights sleep.

Ruthxxx
09-24-2010, 06:43 AM
Last night was not a moon-watching night as we had a t-storm that knocked out power in the middle of Grey's Anatomy. All is OK this morning except for the clocks all at 00000.

Despite home-cooked Chinese last night, my BGL is normal and weight is actually down a pound! Who knew? I suspect restaurant food has much more soy sauce than mine. It could also be because I had my stir-fry on low carb noodles.

Today's food should be OK. I've started off with an orange and some toast with LF cream cheese and tomatoes. I realize I've been ignoring citrus fruit lately and am going to try to get it back on the menu. I do take a multi-vitamin but the real thing is better. I have to have lunch with my Mill folks at noon today but it's at Bob's Diner so I'll have my usual salad with a chicken breast on top. Dinner tonight just may be that salmon in cognac dill sauce that's been hanging around a while. I can always use the second filet for salmon salad tomorrow. I'll have it with quinoa and New Zealand spinach from the garden. I seem to spend too much time thinking about what to eat - I need a chef like Oprah has!

So, on with our quest for health. What are you doing for your body today?

Ellen
09-24-2010, 04:45 PM
Hello! I have not been in this corner of 3FC for a long time, and it looks like a lot of new faces. I just wanted to say hello and thank the person who posted the Mendosa blog link. I had totally forgotten about his page and its got SO much information! I have been struggling with blood sugar levels a lot lately. I recently tried a vegan diet and initially it worked great, Then it stopped and the bg started creeping up again. I am back to low GI/carb and have had the best readings in months the past three days. Here is hoping it holds!

:wave:

want2bfit4me
09-24-2010, 07:47 PM
Welcome back Ellen and congrats on your good readings. Just jump right in here with the rest of us.

I have not said anything on here for a few days. I have on been eaten as well as I have been and so have gained back a couple of pounds. I think the KFC night did me in and it seems like after that it was just easier to add a carb here and there and not think to much about it. My blood sugars have still been good but I sure can't loose any weight eating much of them. I had a plan to do really good today and then DH brought home 4 homemade cookies from our sister in law. So I ate one. But I am getting back on tract with supper. Having grilled chicken breast, salad with lots of veggies and roasted summer squash.

I had my endometrial biopsy done yesterday and should have the results in about a week.

Only exercised half of what I normally do today. Just feel tired. So I took a nap this afternoon.

Enough about me.............

Everyone have a good weekend
Leann

pattygirl63
09-24-2010, 08:44 PM
Ruth I love chinese food. Can you share the recipe when you have time? Your Italy trip is fast approaching. We will miss you.

Ellen Welcome back.

Leann I want to add a little bit of carb in my eating, but I find it a little frightening. I don't want to ruin the good work I've done. I had an apple today so will see what it does to the FBG. I need to add just enough carb to have more energy.

DH and I went to see our primary doc today and I got really good news. Everything was good except the LDL was up although in normal range. Doc says this is happens when the triglycerides come down so much because the liver is moving things around. My A1c is 6.2. My blood pressure is normal so I don't go back for 3 months. My HDL was up 6 pts but still not up where it should be.

I told the doctor that I'm so tired of low carb, but I will continue doing it because it is working. Very obvious that it is the way for me to eat. However, I'm going to calorie counting rather than carb counting. He had recommended I eat 1800 cals a day when I first went to him, but I asked if I could do 1200 to 1400 calories instead and he said yes. He seemed really pleased with my decision. So I am pleased that my health has improved in the last 3 months. He changed DH diabetic medicine as the doctor said he shouldn't have to live with the diarrhea that it was causing him to have for a solid month. In fact, he was probably so dehydrated the day we had our blood work done that I'm not sure how accurate it was. Tony didn't really want to go off Metformin because his BS was coming down even better than mine and his was higher when they discovered it than mine was. So hopefully all in all, we are both on our way to healthy.

Y'all have a great weekend.

Justwant2Bhealthy
09-24-2010, 10:45 PM
CANDES ~ prayed that some :rain: will go down your way; we always get spring and fall rains here, but we've had more than usual this fall. We got soaked today, but it is supposed to be nicer for the weekend. I prayed that these clouds might move south though they seem to be coming in from the west yesterday ... :)

It is so chilly in here that my left leg is bothered by the dampness; guess we may have to put our furnace on early this year. WE usually try to wait until October 1st but it seems much colder and damper this year. They say Whitehorse got snow already, and that is a bit early, so we all may be in for an earlier winter this year.

Made homemade soup again for lunch; we need it on these chilly days. We had pita pizza for our Friday fun dinner tonight. I baked some healthy fiber banana loaves for our snacks today; put in some whey protein powder too. Just tried a small piece for my evening snack; turned out good. Usually, I have cheese at night or a cocoa but wanted something different tonight.

HI ELLEN ~ glad to see you back here; I was wondering how your vegan experiment was going. Glad that you have found something that is helping you again ... :hug:

I am doing lower carb, but am able to eat a few more than others here; I know that I am blessed that way. I still have to be careful though and not get carried away; am trying to stick to whole grain carbs mostly (after veggie & fruit carbs, that is).

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend ... Rosebud :flow2:

Ruthxxx
09-25-2010, 07:37 AM
Grrrr! Up three pounds overnight and it's not from Chinese food. Well, all I can do is keep on keeping on......

Lindyloo
09-25-2010, 11:18 AM
Good Morning Ladies;)

Back from my vacation in Phoenix. Wow was it every hot there. One day it went up to 113. Had a great time though and saw lots of sights. Even looked at a few houses as DS has been bugging us to move there for the winter months. Something to think about. We will maybe rent for two or three months to see if we like it before buying.

I don't think I did very well with my diet, my FBG was in the 8's a few mornings and it is never that high when I'm at home.

Anyway going to catch up on here to see whats been happening.

BBL.

Ruthxxx
09-26-2010, 07:41 AM
Nothing happening here ... same old stuff. I serve at another Church dinner tonight. Luckily it's not hard to resist ham, scalloped potatoes and macaroni salad! I may end up with turkey and cole slaw. The pecan pie is another matter but it's usually gone by the time we "workers" get to eat.

fatmad
09-26-2010, 09:33 PM
Trish, don't give up on Low Carb, you need to keep on looking at the atkins threads, mix it up and find some new stuff to keep you interested. Pick up a good cook book to help yourself.
I think I have the answer to a bit of the puzzle. I got my period!
After a year, (except for an episode of spotting in March when Mum died) I have a full on period. I think its due to the weight loss. Fat cells store a lot of hormones. I know fat loss can cause hormone flux, so why not for me?
Explains the weight gain, appetite changes etc.
So I got out for a walk today, let myself have a bit of chocolate. I have been working so much, and with crazy hours, I enjoyed some quiet time today for sure. Now I am wading thru some paper work while I rewatch last seasons "dexter" finale, and await the season premier.

pattygirl63
09-26-2010, 11:46 PM
Fatmad Thanks for the encouragment. I will stick with the low carb. I've been back on it today, however I am thinking seriously about going back on Induction at least for a few days and not count calories, but just the carbs. I made the low carb strawberry ice cream and it is delicious. I used the Splenda that the recipe called far instead of the Stevia that I had planned to use because I found the Stevia in another recipe bitter.

Sounds like your body is beginning to function properly since you have your periods back. My total cholesterol was fine although the individual numbers were a little off although within healthy numbers. My Doc said that it because the trigycerides came down so fast and the liver is moving things around and things should correct itself.

I think what is going to keep me going on low carb is the fact that I have proof that it corrects/reverses what has been out of whack. I've read that it will even reverse the damage done to organs. I believe low carb is the only way to do that.

Ruthxxx
09-27-2010, 06:44 AM
Well I sure don't want my periods back so I guess I'll just stay fat! Just kidding, chickies!

I may not have reached the 180s before my trip, but I am pleased to announce that my knees survived 4 hours of standing on a concrete floor serving tables at a Church supper. The dinner was extremely well attended and we ran out of food! We even an out of pie which was blessing.

A very busy three days ahead of me but I do have meals all planned right up to lunch on Thursday before I hop on the plane. It feels good not to have to make those decisions when I have a ton of work to do before I leave. I'm a bit concerned about the Italian food but will do my best and eat only reasonable portions of pasta although it is my favourite.

Hope your Monday is healthy and your body is healthy.

fatmad
09-27-2010, 08:28 AM
Ruth, watch out for the airport food. I know you said you had lunch planned, but also ask for a special meal on the plane. usually no added charge and lets u pick and choose. tell them u have a wheat allergy.
and what about while waiting at the airport? these days we are there 3 hours before the flight, so be sure to pack stuff. If you don't eat it, I know you have to throw it out in the preboarding lounge, but better to be prepped.
wahoo, you will have a ball. and LOTS of walking, so its good you got your legs into shape!

want2bfit4me
09-27-2010, 11:38 AM
Just thought I'd check in..........

Feeling kinda down today. It was 47 degrees here this morning and had sweats on. When I was getting ready to take my morning meds this morning I noticed that I had 2 Metformin to take. I only take one twice a day. I looked in my medication organizer and realized that I had 2 pills in the morning and evening box for the whole week. Now I realize that I took 2 twice a day yesterday. I wondered why my glucose was so good last night (was 81 at bedtime) and it was 88 this morning fasting. Needless to say I fixed it. Feeling down that I have not heard back on the applications I took in to the hospital. It was a week last Friday. I have not lost a pound in probably a week. Although some could be water weight as I have eaten sausage and sauerkraut for supper the last 2 nights. I just feel wore out and draggy. I have decreased my exercise from 30 min to 15 min because I am exhausted just after 15 min. Also I am probably a bit subconsciously worrying about the biopsy.

Sorry to be so whiny
Leann

Lindyloo
09-27-2010, 12:14 PM
Good morning Ladies:)

Leann: That's why wer'e here. Whine on.

Ruth: have a great trip.

Weather is great here and I'm going to try and go for a couple of walks today.

Soup for supper I think. Don't know what kind yet - I'll have to look through some recipes.

Have a great day.

want2bfit4me
09-27-2010, 07:06 PM
And if that was not enough.

I got a phone call from my daughter today and she told me that she got married last Friday. This is the same daughter that alittle over a week ago was ready to leave him and move back home. He asked her what he could do to make her stay and she said for him to go to counseling. He went to one individual session and they went to one couples session.

I guess it must have been some good counseling. Being as sarcastic as I can be.

She is not the same daughter I had even 1 year ago. Her morals have taken a 180 degree turn.

I feel as if I don't even have any kids and I have 3.

Probably won't even do Thanksgiving this year.
The last time I invited my oldest son to supper he never showed up.
My youngest son just quit his job 2 weeks ago because it was to stressful. He worked at Walmart.

Please keep us in your prayers.

Leann
I have done nothing but doemotional eating since I got the call today.:cry:

Justwant2Bhealthy
09-27-2010, 08:01 PM
RUTH ~ a lot of Italians eat fish; and other lean meats like chicken sometimes too. I would bet you would find fish at any good Italian restaurant. I was told that in Italy, their pasta dishes are smaller than in NA becuz they are mostly side dishes or appetizers set out before the main meal. You will find out for sure if they are correct, but I have heard this more than once ... ;)

LEANN ~ So sorry to hear about all your troubles with your kids; and I know that it all seems bad right now, but things will work out eventually. Hey, none of them are axe murderers or anything like that ... so PTL anyways! OK, I am being facetious with you, but I had to have a chuckle when you said that DS#3 quit his job at Wallymart becuz of too much stress ... :lol: You know, DS#3 may need a little tuff luv pretty soon ... ;)

Listen, your DD got married; I know, not the way you hoped she would, and maybe not to WHO you hoped, but they have to learn their own lessons, hun. As for your oldest son, that was naughty of him; but if he ever wants to come for dinner again, don't do anything special for him -- just make your usual with one extra serving. If he doesn't show, you can have it for lunch the next day -- but honestly, at first, Kraft dinner & hot dogs came to my mind ... :lol: Oh, I am sooo bad! I'm trying to make you laugh, hope it worked. ;)

I wish I had a mom to invite me to dinner; mine passed away over 17 years ago; and both of DH's parents are deceased too. When my Dad & SM were here last month, we bought a spit BBQ chicken dinner and took it to them. It was very affordable and we had a great time too.

They WILL grow up some day. Sending up some prayers for you ... :hug:

We had gorgeous :sunny: for two days in a row; really beautiful today. We went out to our lot yesterday for the afternoon and brought some stuff back home. We do this in October until everything that shouldn't freeze is back here. We had a nice big ham with roasted veggies for dinner, including some baby red potatoes ... it was fab!

Hope you all have wonderful week ... Rosebud :flow2:

fatmad
09-27-2010, 09:33 PM
oh Leann, you are having a few tough days. Sometimes it goes that way for a bit, then you turn a corner and things go better again. Hope the corner comes soon! I guess you aren't being bothered by the higher dosage of metformin. I forgot and took a second pill one day, and was going crazy from gas, bloating etc. I had those symptoms when I first started the met and it took about a month to get better. so I am glad I haven't had to up my dose so far.
Have one more long day of work then I get down to lower levels of work for a while. Am planning to up my fitness level during with my reduced workload. I am tired when I get home, I really need to get more fit.

Ruthxxx
09-28-2010, 07:31 AM
Leann, big hugs to you. As Lear said, 'How sharper than a serpent's tooth it is to have a thankless child!" I've been in that situation with my kids and it takes time but does work out.

Thanks for the food advice, Chickies. I have done a lot of plane travel and have been to Italy four other times so should be OK. I did order a diabetic meal on the flight over and have no problem avoiding airport food places. Things seem to have changed a lot lately as you can now get fruit, yogurt, veggies with dip and almonds.

BGL is good again today and weight has dropped a bit. I'm no longer fretting about it. Right now I need a brain transplant so I can speak Italian! I can read it and understand some of it but ... Maybe I'll listen to the CDs today and tomorrow and be perfect by Thursday. :rofl:

fatmad
09-28-2010, 08:11 AM
wow ruth, quoting shakespear and practising italian, you are hot stuff. I hope you have a great trip, it sound like a lot of fun. I get to go to Edmonton in a few days for a conference, somehow, doesn't stack up to Italy.

Lindyloo
09-29-2010, 11:25 AM
Good morning:)

Leann, sorry about your troubles. I hope everything turns out well for your family.

Very disappointed. I made my favorite tuscan white bean soup for supper the other night and my BG spiked quite high. I guess I can't have that anymore:( I did have a half of a WW bun with it so maybe it was just too many carbs. I have some leftover so maybe I will try it without the bun and see what happens.

Off to do a few chores.

Have a great day.

fatmad
09-29-2010, 08:43 PM
Oh LIndy, hope the bean soup is ok without the bread. Maybe some old cheddar with it. I love beans and hope to add them back as I go up the carb ladder. I have to take beano when I have beans and pea soups, or I can't digest them well tho. That is I can break down the sugars in them, so there's some sugars I don't have to worry about, anyhow.
Well, now I'm hungry, time for a late supper.

Ruthxxx
09-30-2010, 05:19 AM
Yum! Tuscan bean soup. I have boarding passes printed but am not ready at all. I still have laundry to finish so I can pack. Ancora peso 191 e non parlo italiano but I'm outta here anyhow. It'll be interesting to see how the BGL behaves with Italian food and lots of walking. See y'all in a week.

fatmad
09-30-2010, 09:09 AM
we will miss you ruth. WIll have to start to October chat without you. WOw, tomorrow is OCTOBER already.
I am really happy with my bg, except the fastings. I am consistently in the mid 5's. Is is too much for me to try for non-diabetic numbers? This is with the metformin with supper, and low carbing. pre and post meal numbers are as if there is no diabetes issues. A1c is within normal at 5.7
I have lost almost 20 pounds, and keeping it off.
I think I will work towards another 20 pounds, (another year I assume) and hope for the best. maybe this is my best, and its doable.
Hard to accept that its not 100% in my own control.
I am going to have regular working hours this month, no on call time, so am planning a big fitness regime and very careful attention to diet so I can get down a few more pounds and inches before ski season. Hope to be ready for lots of cross country skiing this year.

want2bfit4me
09-30-2010, 10:01 AM
Thanks for all of the support everyone has given me.

Just a quick fly by right now and to update you since my last visit.

Yesterday they posted a job position for the veterans hospital that I am want to get on at. It is for an LPN in a clinic. This is what I am and what I have done for most of my 18 years as a nurse. So got my application turned in yesterday. They told me that I needed a very detailed resume so I have worked on that with a Professional Resume Maker that I bought for the computer yesterday. I started about 2pm yesterday and I think I am done. I have proof read it about a million times and my hubby has also. Anyway I have made 2 copies. One for the job that I am applying for and another for the applicant supply file they keep for nurses. I am taking my resume in this morning.

Also had an expected death in the family. Brother in law had lung cancer and died Tuesday afternoon. So we have a visitation tonight and a funeral tomorrow. It is about an hours drive away. Have to find DH a bigger pair of pants to wear.

Anyway I am too busy and pumped up about the job possibility to be down right now. Not doing much exercise but when things settle down I will get back on track. Trying to eat like a should.

Talk to you soon

pattygirl63
09-30-2010, 08:18 PM
Will miss you Ruth. Have a great trip.

fatmad Congratulations on the 20 lbs off and for keeping them off.

Leann Hope you get the job you want. Sorry to hear about the death of your BIL.

Staying busy and also staying OP. I'm adding more carbs and counting the calories. FBG and BP is still good each morning. I gained a couple of lbs when I added the carbs, but now I'm staying at a certain weight and no bouncing around. Will see how this goes. The apple cider vinegar didn't do much for me, but I am drinking about 4 oz red wine before bedtime and it is working for me. So will treat it like a medicine... I don't like it but drink it any way.

See y'all in October chat.

fatmad
09-30-2010, 08:44 PM
i guess I am not really thru with cravings. Someone brought rosebud chocolates to the potluck today, and I was pretty good ignoring them for most of the afternoon, but I caved about 4 pm, and had 2 handfuls before I stopped myself. I felt awful afterward. I know I am just human, and there was temptation sitting in front of me, but I have to learn to manage these situations better. Dang.
Tomorrow, I am going back to strict induction and planning lots of exercise while working more regular hours this month. My only goal is to stick to my diet and exercise plan without a specific weight or inch loss goal.
I have a conference in there, and Canadian Thanksgiving, so will be eating to plan through those situations.
I will be whining my way through the october chats I guess.
LEANN: I am glad you found a job posting that suits, good luck with the interview, sounds just right for you!
See you in October everyone.

Justwant2Bhealthy
09-30-2010, 09:20 PM
LEANN ~ praying for good results for this job, and for your family as well ... :hug:

RUTH ~ have a wonderful time in Italy; I know you will ... :D

MAD ~ you are doing great ... :carrot:

Did mostly house chores here today; lots of exercise for me, but spread it out -- and took some breaks. My legs are sore now, so time to put them up with a nice, hot cup of green tea ... I have been eating pretty good; have had the odd craving, but sticking to my plan each day. I had some hot flashes this week, but think it was from eating some roasted soya nuts; passed on them today and am feeling better.

Tomorrow will be busy running errands, paying bills, and a bit of shopping for the AM at least. Time to go make my tea now; take good care ... Rosebud :flow2: