Old 09-01-2010, 05:21 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Default Primal/Paleo-ish in September

Good morning!
If you're wondering just what Primal means, here's a link to help you.
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/
Welcome to all!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:01 AM   #2  
Last Timer

S/C/G: 175/150/127.5

Height: 5' 4"

"Holy moly! I've always gotten Trader Joe's almond flour for $4-something for a 1 lb bag."

We do not have Trader Joe's in Denver. I looked up where their new stores were going and it was like Des Moines and Omaha. Omaha!! Nothing against Omaha but come on...... I think the closest one is Albuquerque/Santa Fe.

I ordered the Brand recommended by Elana's Pantry http://elanaspantry.com just because she said her recipes work best with that brand and consistency. I am still using up some garbanzo bean, oat and other weird flours from my gluten-intolerance days. When/if my husband decides to go primal 100%, I will have to toss these as well.

I am losing so slowly, about 1 pound a week and only after fasting at least one day a week. I really think I would have gotten bored and tried something else if it hadn't been for this forum, MDA and you all.

Thank you.

Last edited by sparky1946; 09-01-2010 at 09:02 AM.
sparky1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:43 AM   #3  
Last Timer

I also must say that I am always under 50 g carbs and usually under 1000 calories. Not by choice it just works out that way, if I am truly not eating unless I am hungry.

I like that the scale is going down and I hope that it's just my old bod trying to adjust to this new way of using fuel.

I walk 45 minutes per day. When it gets a little cooler, I am going to try 2 walks a day. I take my dogs and they have to sit down and rest when it is hot .

I do not lift heavy things yet. I have a gym membership, but in the past if I start weightlifting, I gain weight and cannot see the weightloss although I know that I am getting smaller. I think it is because I naturally have little muscle mass and any effort I put in causes a gain. Maybe just fluid into the cells. I will go to the gym when I am at goal (131) with the knowledge that I will put on muscle and not fat and that equates to some number on the scale for me.

It would be neat to be a 63 year old body builder

Hugs to all,

Last edited by sparky1946; 09-01-2010 at 02:41 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:31 AM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

Brown-- You're absolutely right corn is not Primal, but I love it so much that I eat it because it's in season here right now... Usually only one ear, sometimes two...

I've gained .8 lb in the month of August, considering what I ate and drank all month, I'm very happy with just that gain...

Same ole same ole here...

1. 2 eggs fried in coconut oil
2. full fat yogurt, coconut milk, walnuts, whey protein shake
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:50 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 331 HW 299 June 2010/288/180?

Height: 5'4"

Hello all, Have not done my official weigh in yet, (will do at my friends clinic who has the full blown Taniza scale that weighs muscle mass, water, etc) BUT my home scale says 10 pounds loss since Aug 9. I am very happy with that.

Chinese Buffet: I do my best to make good choices, claim the 80/20 rule, and just enjoy the time with friends and family. I dont get anything breaded, but I dont worry about what oils they cook with. Typically I get some salad, and pile up on the fresh toms, cucs, onions, and some olives. Then ontop of my salad I might put some salt and pepper shrimp (the are just cooked in shells with heavy seasoning) I will have brocolli beef and/or broc chicken. I will have seafood stirfry and mongolian beef. Typically that is plenty to choose from. I start with a huge glass of water before hand and continue through the meal to flush out the MSG and sodium.

Curry soup recipe....hmmmm recipe? like one written out with measurements and all? Yeah, I dont do that LOL BUT....I cubed up all my veggies, add chicken, shrimp, what ever protien if you want it in there. Start with a heavy bottomed pan, toss in butter, for a large batch I used a whole cube, this made 8 servings. Melt that then add your curry paste, I used yellow, but could easily use red or green. I used about 3 TBL for my large pot. Blend that together and add 2 cans of coconut milk, 2 cups of organic veg broth, all your veggies and cook until the veggies are done. That simple. I used peppers, mushrooms, onions, garlic, sweet potato. Would be great with caulifower too. Same type of process for my chicken curry, just did not add the veg broth and I let it boil a bit and reduce fluid
Mikkijoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:56 AM   #6  

What was on my plate yesterday?

IF from 8pm till 6pm, other than coffee
Dinner, large salad of mixed greens and english cucumber (cavemen did NOT like to burp!) London broil from the grill, sauteed mushrooms in butter and garlic. And my favorite new steak sauce....mashed avacado with sea salt and cracked pepper
OH, and my evening Americano and game of cribbage on the front porch........followed by the onset of a horrid headache that put me to bed at 9pm

Today: Green Mint Tea
Dinner: Salad, london Broil, Maybe a fried egg over the top. Strawberries and raspberries with coconut milk and a square of 83% choc

Starting a new focus group today that I will be co-leading, based on the Becks Diet Solution book about Cognitive Therapy. We were going to have one group for 6 weeks, but some wanted the noon hour and some wanted eveings, so we are doing both! Oh boy!
Old 09-01-2010, 11:57 AM   #7  

Sandy, think if you got some higher cal food when you were hungry that the increase in cals might help boost the weight loss? Just an idea, that works for me at times, but 1 pound a week, that really is nothing to poo poo!
Old 09-01-2010, 12:20 PM   #8  

I pretty much missed the whole month of August. I'll try to participate in September. My workload is easing up a bit. We've been having fun on the weekends in our new vacation cabin. It's been a lot of fun.

I had a great August, food and weight wise. I lost about 8 lbs. I'm rarely craving sweets anymore. Except yesterday. I saw that the halloween candy was out. I'm a sucker for reeses pumpkins. I didn't even enjoy eating it. I need to keep that in mind everytime I see one. The sweet cravings are mainly psychological now. I associate happiness with seeing those reeses pumpkins, but in reality, I don't like them as much as I used to do. It made me feel a little sick.

I plan on participating in the primal challenge on Mark's site. Should be fun. It starts 9/7.

Mikkijoe - your coconut/curry soup recipe sounds great. I'm in the mood for soups.

Last edited by wendyland; 09-01-2010 at 12:21 PM.
wendyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 02:38 PM   #9  
Last Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikkijoe View Post
Sandy, think if you got some higher cal food when you were hungry that the increase in cals might help boost the weight loss? Just an idea, that works for me at times, but 1 pound a week, that really is nothing to poo poo!
I kinda was suspecting that I need to up my calories. Is it that the body won't release the fat if calories are less than some amount maybe based on your BMR? My BMR was tested as 1130 a few years ago. I am pretty much sedentary (computer work) except for my walks.

Your weight loss of 10 lbs is huge!! Hope when you officially weigh in it is even more

Last edited by sparky1946; 09-01-2010 at 03:56 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:09 PM   #10  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown View Post
At the bottom right of every post you see "quote" then a square with "+, then the icon with a paper-thingie and an arrow pointing down. Hit the icon in the center, the "+. Click it, it should turn red and the + will turn into a -. keep reading down the thread, clicking the ones you want to quote as you go. When you reach the end of the thread, hit "post reply" on the left below the last post, and it'll take you to a new page with allllll your quotes. SO convenient. Message boards that don't have multi-quote make me sad.
Well I'll be, I've been here almost 10 years and never even used the "post reply" button, I always use the "Quick Reply " or "Go Advance" ... I think you may have created a monster, see below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene View Post
1. 2 eggs fried in coconut oil
2. full fat yogurt, coconut milk, walnuts, whey protein shake
For lunch I had a can of sardines, coleslaw, peach, all mixted in the same large bowl, I'm funny like that For supper I made some BBQ chicken with some roasted cauliflower... After running and the gym I had some almonds and a beer I was hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikkijoe View Post
Hello all, Have not done my official weigh in yet, (will do at my friends clinic who has the full blown Taniza scale that weighs muscle mass, water, etc) BUT my home scale says 10 pounds loss since Aug 9. I am very happy with that.

Curry soup recipe....hmmmm recipe? like one written out with measurements and all? Yeah, I dont do that LOL BUT....I cubed up all my veggies, add chicken, shrimp, what ever protien if you want it in there. Start with a heavy bottomed pan, toss in butter, for a large batch I used a whole cube, this made 8 servings. Melt that then add your curry paste, I used yellow, but could easily use red or green. I used about 3 TBL for my large pot. Blend that together and add 2 cans of coconut milk, 2 cups of organic veg broth, all your veggies and cook until the veggies are done. That simple. I used peppers, mushrooms, onions, garlic, sweet potato. Would be great with caulifower too. Same type of process for my chicken curry, just did not add the veg broth and I let it boil a bit and reduce fluid
10 lbs wow!! That soup sounds delish!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyland View Post
I had a great August, food and weight wise. I lost about 8 lbs. I'm rarely craving sweets anymore. Except yesterday. I saw that the halloween candy was out. I'm a sucker for reeses pumpkins. I didn't even enjoy eating it. I need to keep that in mind everytime I see one. The sweet cravings are mainly psychological now. I associate happiness with seeing those reeses pumpkins, but in reality, I don't like them as much as I used to do. It made me feel a little sick.
Great work on 8lbs
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:43 PM   #11  

I had a rough day. I think it was the reeses that I ate yesterday. I had a hard time staying away from sugar today. I had 1 1/2 tsp in my tea and a capri sun. Plus some bread. I did fight the temptation of eating out at lunch today. I came home and had leftover curried sirloin and asparagus cooked in coconut oil and garlic. I really need to get some groceries tomorrow.
wendyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:16 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I pour my bacon grease into a cup ... but not for disposal!!! The bits kind of float to the bottom and there's pretty nice grease on the top. If it gets down to where I cannot take any more nice grease off the top, I pitch it.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:54 AM   #13  
Last Timer

I do the same with my bacon grease. I do not know what's wrong with the bits?
Is it that they might burn when you use the grease to pan fry for example? I use up everything.

I treat bacon grease (uncured anyway) like gold...

Last edited by sparky1946; 09-02-2010 at 08:56 AM.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:31 AM   #14  

Anyone else joining the 30 day challenge on MDA? Sounds like he is giving away all kinds of things! I would love to win the $100 gift card for grass fed beef, and I would REALLY like to win a pair of Vibrams, I want them BAD!

Yesterday, for some reason, I was hungry. I wonder why, becasue that is not a normal feeling lateley. Then I kinda think it is partly PMS, and partly the weather change. We have really slipped into fall. It is still beautiful here during the day, sunny, 80's and up. But night and mornings we have that crisp feeling, which I really like. BUT I wonder if that triggers my foraging activities.

Yesterday at work at 10:30am I had 2 chicken and sun dried tomato sausages with a bag of steamed green beans (grocery store run) THEN had some mixed nuts and a square of chocoate
At night at 9pm I had left over london broil with 2 eggs on top, AND a bowl of berries and a square of choc. THEN 2 all beef dogs and a slice of munster cheese.
Yesterday was a crazy day, I worked, had a class to teach at noon and one immediatly after work, (AND had a self imposed audit in the middle of the day--what was I thinking?) got home at 6:50 and my daughter needed last minute school supplies, so we went out and got those and did not get home till almost 9pm! I dont like days like that!

Today: tea right now, soon to be 2 chic sausages and some fresh from the farm cottage cheese.
Tonight? dunno, have no idea what they took out for dinner, or if they did at all
Old 09-02-2010, 12:01 PM   #15  
Fighting the Good Fight

Height: 5'1"

Hiya,

Sparky--1 pound a week is 52 pounds a year--sounds dang good to me! I know how hard it is to lose weight after 50. And I do know that eating too few calories simply makes my body stop losing weight, I believe I read we go into 'starvation mode' and our metabolism is lower so as to conserve fuel [fat] until there's food available again!

Congrats to these 8 and 10 pound losers--way to go!

Breakfast: 2 egg frittata w/ shredded cheese and salsa

Lunch: Cherries and pork chop

Lotta water. Total carbs so far today: 40 gm

At the end of September I'm going to re-do the measurements I took in July. Very curious to see what changes--I have been lifting heavy things!

Onward!

spanky

Last edited by spanky; 09-02-2010 at 12:09 PM.
spanky is offline   Reply With Quote