Carb Counters - Primal/Paleo-ish in September

View Full Version : Primal/Paleo-ish in September

srmb60
09-01-2010, 05:21 AM
Good morning!
If you're wondering just what Primal means, here's a link to help you.
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/
Welcome to all!

sparky1946
09-01-2010, 09:01 AM
"Holy moly! I've always gotten Trader Joe's almond flour for $4-something for a 1 lb bag."

We do not have Trader Joe's in Denver. I looked up where their new stores were going and it was like Des Moines and Omaha. Omaha!! Nothing against Omaha but come on...... I think the closest one is Albuquerque/Santa Fe.

I ordered the Brand recommended by Elana's Pantry http://elanaspantry.com just because she said her recipes work best with that brand and consistency. I am still using up some garbanzo bean, oat and other weird flours from my gluten-intolerance days. When/if my husband decides to go primal 100%, I will have to toss these as well.

I am losing so slowly, about 1 pound a week and only after fasting at least one day a week. I really think I would have gotten bored and tried something else if it hadn't been for this forum, MDA and you all.

Thank you.

sparky1946
09-01-2010, 09:43 AM
I also must say that I am always under 50 g carbs and usually under 1000 calories. Not by choice it just works out that way, if I am truly not eating unless I am hungry.

I like that the scale is going down and I hope that it's just my old bod trying to adjust to this new way of using fuel.

I walk 45 minutes per day. When it gets a little cooler, I am going to try 2 walks a day. I take my dogs and they have to sit down and rest when it is hot :).

I do not lift heavy things yet. I have a gym membership, but in the past if I start weightlifting, I gain weight and cannot see the weightloss although I know that I am getting smaller. I think it is because I naturally have little muscle mass and any effort I put in causes a gain. Maybe just fluid into the cells. I will go to the gym when I am at goal (131) with the knowledge that I will put on muscle and not fat and that equates to some number on the scale for me.

It would be neat to be a 63 year old body builder :)

Hugs to all,

Ilene
09-01-2010, 11:31 AM
Brown-- You're absolutely right corn is not Primal, but I love it so much that I eat it because it's in season here right now... Usually only one ear, sometimes two...

I've gained .8 lb in the month of August, considering what I ate and drank all month, I'm very happy with just that gain...

Same ole same ole here...

1. 2 eggs fried in coconut oil
2. full fat yogurt, coconut milk, walnuts, whey protein shake

Mikkijoe
09-01-2010, 11:50 AM
Hello all, Have not done my official weigh in yet, (will do at my friends clinic who has the full blown Taniza scale that weighs muscle mass, water, etc) BUT my home scale says 10 pounds loss since Aug 9. I am very happy with that.

Chinese Buffet: I do my best to make good choices, claim the 80/20 rule, and just enjoy the time with friends and family. I dont get anything breaded, but I dont worry about what oils they cook with. Typically I get some salad, and pile up on the fresh toms, cucs, onions, and some olives. Then ontop of my salad I might put some salt and pepper shrimp (the are just cooked in shells with heavy seasoning) I will have brocolli beef and/or broc chicken. I will have seafood stirfry and mongolian beef. Typically that is plenty to choose from. I start with a huge glass of water before hand and continue through the meal to flush out the MSG and sodium.

Curry soup recipe....hmmmm recipe? like one written out with measurements and all? Yeah, I dont do that LOL BUT....I cubed up all my veggies, add chicken, shrimp, what ever protien if you want it in there. Start with a heavy bottomed pan, toss in butter, for a large batch I used a whole cube, this made 8 servings. Melt that then add your curry paste, I used yellow, but could easily use red or green. I used about 3 TBL for my large pot. Blend that together and add 2 cans of coconut milk, 2 cups of organic veg broth, all your veggies and cook until the veggies are done. That simple. I used peppers, mushrooms, onions, garlic, sweet potato. Would be great with caulifower too. Same type of process for my chicken curry, just did not add the veg broth and I let it boil a bit and reduce fluid

Mikkijoe
09-01-2010, 11:56 AM
What was on my plate yesterday?

IF from 8pm till 6pm, other than coffee
Dinner, large salad of mixed greens and english cucumber (cavemen did NOT like to burp!) London broil from the grill, sauteed mushrooms in butter and garlic. And my favorite new steak sauce....mashed avacado with sea salt and cracked pepper
OH, and my evening Americano and game of cribbage on the front porch........followed by the onset of a horrid headache that put me to bed at 9pm

Today: Green Mint Tea
Dinner: Salad, london Broil, Maybe a fried egg over the top. Strawberries and raspberries with coconut milk and a square of 83% choc

Starting a new focus group today that I will be co-leading, based on the Becks Diet Solution book about Cognitive Therapy. We were going to have one group for 6 weeks, but some wanted the noon hour and some wanted eveings, so we are doing both! Oh boy!

Mikkijoe
09-01-2010, 11:57 AM
Sandy, think if you got some higher cal food when you were hungry that the increase in cals might help boost the weight loss? Just an idea, that works for me at times, but 1 pound a week, that really is nothing to poo poo!

wendyland
09-01-2010, 12:20 PM
I pretty much missed the whole month of August. I'll try to participate in September. My workload is easing up a bit. We've been having fun on the weekends in our new vacation cabin. It's been a lot of fun.

I had a great August, food and weight wise. I lost about 8 lbs. I'm rarely craving sweets anymore. Except yesterday. I saw that the halloween candy was out. I'm a sucker for reeses pumpkins. I didn't even enjoy eating it. I need to keep that in mind everytime I see one. The sweet cravings are mainly psychological now. I associate happiness with seeing those reeses pumpkins, but in reality, I don't like them as much as I used to do. It made me feel a little sick.

I plan on participating in the primal challenge on Mark's site. Should be fun. It starts 9/7.

Mikkijoe - your coconut/curry soup recipe sounds great. I'm in the mood for soups.

sparky1946
09-01-2010, 02:38 PM
Sandy, think if you got some higher cal food when you were hungry that the increase in cals might help boost the weight loss? Just an idea, that works for me at times, but 1 pound a week, that really is nothing to poo poo!

I kinda was suspecting that I need to up my calories. Is it that the body won't release the fat if calories are less than some amount maybe based on your BMR? My BMR was tested as 1130 a few years ago. I am pretty much sedentary (computer work) except for my walks.

Your weight loss of 10 lbs is huge!! Hope when you officially weigh in it is even more;)

Ilene
09-01-2010, 10:09 PM
:D At the bottom right of every post you see "quote" then a square with "+, then the icon with a paper-thingie and an arrow pointing down. Hit the icon in the center, the "+. Click it, it should turn red and the + will turn into a -. keep reading down the thread, clicking the ones you want to quote as you go. When you reach the end of the thread, hit "post reply" on the left below the last post, and it'll take you to a new page with allllll your quotes. :) SO convenient. Message boards that don't have multi-quote make me sad.Well I'll be, I've been here almost 10 years and never even used the "post reply" button, I always use the "Quick Reply " or "Go Advance" :lol: ... I think you may have created a monster, see below :dizzy:

1. 2 eggs fried in coconut oil
2. full fat yogurt, coconut milk, walnuts, whey protein shakeFor lunch I had a can of sardines, coleslaw, peach, all mixted in the same large bowl, I'm funny like that :lol: For supper I made some BBQ chicken with some roasted cauliflower... After running and the gym I had some almonds and a beer :shrug: I was hot :lol:

Hello all, Have not done my official weigh in yet, (will do at my friends clinic who has the full blown Taniza scale that weighs muscle mass, water, etc) BUT my home scale says 10 pounds loss since Aug 9. I am very happy with that.

Curry soup recipe....hmmmm recipe? like one written out with measurements and all? Yeah, I dont do that LOL BUT....I cubed up all my veggies, add chicken, shrimp, what ever protien if you want it in there. Start with a heavy bottomed pan, toss in butter, for a large batch I used a whole cube, this made 8 servings. Melt that then add your curry paste, I used yellow, but could easily use red or green. I used about 3 TBL for my large pot. Blend that together and add 2 cans of coconut milk, 2 cups of organic veg broth, all your veggies and cook until the veggies are done. That simple. I used peppers, mushrooms, onions, garlic, sweet potato. Would be great with caulifower too. Same type of process for my chicken curry, just did not add the veg broth and I let it boil a bit and reduce fluid:bravo: 10 lbs wow!! That soup sounds delish!!

I had a great August, food and weight wise. I lost about 8 lbs. I'm rarely craving sweets anymore. Except yesterday. I saw that the halloween candy was out. I'm a sucker for reeses pumpkins. I didn't even enjoy eating it. I need to keep that in mind everytime I see one. The sweet cravings are mainly psychological now. I associate happiness with seeing those reeses pumpkins, but in reality, I don't like them as much as I used to do. It made me feel a little sick.

Great work on 8lbs :dance:

wendyland
09-01-2010, 10:43 PM
I had a rough day. I think it was the reeses that I ate yesterday. I had a hard time staying away from sugar today. I had 1 1/2 tsp in my tea and a capri sun. Plus some bread. I did fight the temptation of eating out at lunch today. I came home and had leftover curried sirloin and asparagus cooked in coconut oil and garlic. I really need to get some groceries tomorrow.

srmb60
09-02-2010, 05:16 AM
I pour my bacon grease into a cup ... but not for disposal!!! The bits kind of float to the bottom and there's pretty nice grease on the top. If it gets down to where I cannot take any more nice grease off the top, I pitch it.

sparky1946
09-02-2010, 08:54 AM
I do the same with my bacon grease. I do not know what's wrong with the bits?
Is it that they might burn when you use the grease to pan fry for example? I use up everything.

I treat bacon grease (uncured anyway) like gold...

Mikkijoe
09-02-2010, 11:31 AM
Anyone else joining the 30 day challenge on MDA? Sounds like he is giving away all kinds of things! I would love to win the $100 gift card for grass fed beef, and I would REALLY like to win a pair of Vibrams, I want them BAD!

Yesterday, for some reason, I was hungry. I wonder why, becasue that is not a normal feeling lateley. Then I kinda think it is partly PMS, and partly the weather change. We have really slipped into fall. It is still beautiful here during the day, sunny, 80's and up. But night and mornings we have that crisp feeling, which I really like. BUT I wonder if that triggers my foraging activities.

Yesterday at work at 10:30am I had 2 chicken and sun dried tomato sausages with a bag of steamed green beans (grocery store run) THEN had some mixed nuts and a square of chocoate
At night at 9pm I had left over london broil with 2 eggs on top, AND a bowl of berries and a square of choc. THEN 2 all beef dogs and a slice of munster cheese.
Yesterday was a crazy day, I worked, had a class to teach at noon and one immediatly after work, (AND had a self imposed audit in the middle of the day--what was I thinking?) got home at 6:50 and my daughter needed last minute school supplies, so we went out and got those and did not get home till almost 9pm! I dont like days like that!

Today: tea right now, soon to be 2 chic sausages and some fresh from the farm cottage cheese.
Tonight? dunno, have no idea what they took out for dinner, or if they did at all

spanky
09-02-2010, 12:01 PM
Hiya,

Sparky--1 pound a week is 52 pounds a year--sounds dang good to me! I know how hard it is to lose weight after 50. And I do know that eating too few calories simply makes my body stop losing weight, I believe I read we go into 'starvation mode' and our metabolism is lower so as to conserve fuel [fat] until there's food available again!

Congrats to these 8 and 10 pound losers--way to go!

Breakfast: 2 egg frittata w/ shredded cheese and salsa

Lunch: Cherries and pork chop

Lotta water. Total carbs so far today: 40 gm

At the end of September I'm going to re-do the measurements I took in July. Very curious to see what changes--I have been lifting heavy things!

Onward!

spanky

Ilene
09-02-2010, 12:28 PM
Food so far:

2 eggs in coconut oil
coconut oil and yogurt with walnuts
chicken, yello beans, cauliflower
chicken wings

Ilene
09-02-2010, 12:48 PM
ETA: OH, quick question: is there any use for ground flaxseed or psyllium husks in a primal diet? If so, i'll keep the tubs I have. If not, I'll toss 'em.I still use my ground flax and add it to my yogurt... I finished off the psyllium and didn't buy more because I just prefer ground flax ...

spanky
09-02-2010, 01:27 PM
Can NOT get myself in gear here at work today!!!

Went off to Amazon and bought a copy of "You Are Your Own Gym" by Mark Lauren--it looked like the best bodyweight exercise book out there. I see it mentioned on MDA. And I am SO tired of weights per se.

I'll give a book report here once I'm into it. Shouldn't be long--I love that overnight shipping!

spanks

wendyland
09-02-2010, 02:13 PM
Went off to Amazon and bought a copy of "You Are Your Own Gym" by Mark Lauren--it looked like the best bodyweight exercise book out there. I see it mentioned on MDA. And I am SO tired of weights per se.

Please, do!! It looks like something I'd be interested in. I know that I can look up exercises to do, but I'd love to have them all in one place of reference.

sparky1946
09-02-2010, 03:27 PM
My daughter pulled me away from my work at 8:30 am and we took an hour long walk with my grandson. I do not eat before my walk so after we let the little one play in the park, it was 11 am and lunch time almost.

So for today:
Black coffee, fresh sausage (5oz) and the best, juiciest peach ever. I really was not at all hungry but fast day is tomorrow.
Sunflower seeds and Blackberries
Salmon and creamed spinach for supper with almond flour drop biscuits...Yummy!!!! So good that I had to have a small glass of Riesling (I poached the salmon in the wine as well).

MY husband was orgasmic (heaven forbid). Said that if this meal was in a restaurant, he would send compliments to the chef.

Edit: The biscuits are from Elana's cookbook and they were actually too sweet. I will cut back on the sweetener next time. My husband loved them but I am so sensitive to sweetness that it was too much for me. I melted butter and used instead of grapeseed oil and it worked just find. While researching agave, I found coconut nectar (sap from the coconut tree), supposed to be low glycemic and not taste like coconut. Will have to try and find it at Whole Foods. I think Coconut Secret brand also has the sap evaporated into crystals much like sugar.

I know I need to eat more but it is so weird that I am not hungry.

I just received elanaspantry.com's cookbook and I am anxious to try some of the breads and crackers using almond flour. I do miss these. I cannot imagine that they will taste good. I'll let you all know.

I am confused about grapeseed oil and agave. She uses both alot because she does not want to use dairy or sugar. I do not think MDA likes either. MikkiJoe, I think you use agave, do you notice a spike in insulin at all? Also, I know grapeseed oil is big in the IP world.

I would rather use butter but then maybe her recipes won't turn out.

Ummmmm.....

Mikkijoe
09-02-2010, 06:31 PM
I do use agave now and then, in small quantities. Probably twice a week. It is from a plant BUT it is highly processed, just as much as corn syrup really, so I am sure it is not the best choice

sparky1946
09-02-2010, 08:08 PM
Anyone else joining the 30 day challenge on MDA? Sounds like he is giving away all kinds of things! I would love to win the $100 gift card for grass fed beef, and I would REALLY like to win a pair of Vibrams, I want them BAD!

Yesterday, for some reason, I was hungry. I wonder why, becasue that is not a normal feeling lateley. Then I kinda think it is partly PMS, and partly the weather change. We have really slipped into fall. It is still beautiful here during the day, sunny, 80's and up. But night and mornings we have that crisp feeling, which I really like. BUT I wonder if that triggers my foraging activities.

Yesterday at work at 10:30am I had 2 chicken and sun dried tomato sausages with a bag of steamed green beans (grocery store run) THEN had some mixed nuts and a square of chocoate
At night at 9pm I had left over london broil with 2 eggs on top, AND a bowl of berries and a square of choc. THEN 2 all beef dogs and a slice of munster cheese.
Yesterday was a crazy day, I worked, had a class to teach at noon and one immediatly after work, (AND had a self imposed audit in the middle of the day--what was I thinking?) got home at 6:50 and my daughter needed last minute school supplies, so we went out and got those and did not get home till almost 9pm! I dont like days like that!

Today: tea right now, soon to be 2 chic sausages and some fresh from the farm cottage cheese.
Tonight? dunno, have no idea what they took out for dinner, or if they did at all
What exactly is the MDA challenge? Is it just to be super primal? I am not exercising primally yet so I wonder if it includes workout requirements...

CJZee
09-03-2010, 08:30 AM
Food yesterday:

Roasted veggies
Cottage cheese
Cheddar cheese (I know I eat too much cheese)
fresh raspberries
Fage yogurt
Baked chicken
A peach
Fresh Mozzarella
Tomato, basil, olive oil, balsamic vinegar

Mikkijoe
09-03-2010, 11:23 AM
MDA challenge is something Mark puts out every now and then it looks like. Yes it does include workouts, but I wont be participating 100% in those. The reason I am doing it is to keep me motivated and participate up to the level of where I am right now--or push me a little further. PLUS I would love to win $100 of grass fed beef etc. Looks like tons of give aways available.

SO, for what I ate yesterday:
Chick sausage and cottage cheese 10am
frozen bag of veg and 5 pieces of bacon 3pm
Dinner out---mistake! Took it as my 20%, made the best choices, but I am ALL kinds of puffy and sluggish this morning! I ordered a seafood dish that had shrimp, scallops, octopus and mushrooms sauteed in garlic and butter.....on plan right? And I only ate about 4 bites of the rice, not a huge deal right? And I had about 8 corn chips with salsa. So the combination between the carbs, the corn, and the oil the cooked the chips in..........boy oh boy, I feel like a puffer fish out of water!

srmb60
09-03-2010, 03:35 PM
Where's Claire? I've failed you my dear. I missed a day of exercising :( How's about 13/14 days ;)

sparky1946
09-04-2010, 12:42 PM
Well, again I fasted only 22 hours instead of my usual 36 and did not do my regular walk (went shopping at a new farmers market type store).

I lost .6 but not enough to get me to 163. I am going to my new low-carb doc on my birthday 9/27 Dr. Gerber (http://jgerbermd.com), for my annual physical. He has been featured on local TV and is listed as an in the know MD on LivinLaVidaLowCarb.com, Jimmy Moore's site. So.....I want to weigh close to what I did last year, 161. Last year, I lost weight eating whole foods but was not restricting carbs per say. I am really hoping my numbers, especially inflammation and CRP are down. So then I will maybe be able to surmise that carbs are the culprit and not cholesterol that I eat or make.

After cutting my fast short I ate:
3!!!! glasses of wine, some parmesan crisps (only cheese kinda salty) and uncured ham chunk (3 oz)
Later a taco salad

I think the wine made me go crazy except that going crazy means only 19 grams of carbs for the day. Isn't it strange that my definition of losing control just means breaking a fast earlier than normal as opposed to eating 3 snickers in one day:)

sparky1946
09-04-2010, 05:09 PM
Hi "Redflame"

Noticed you on MDA. I haven't posted much. My ID is primalmaven.

chewy
09-05-2010, 12:34 AM
Newbie here, I have lost 13 lbs and now am kinda looking to do this plan...
I need to lose another 40 lbs!

I have been non meats for some months, but I love fish, especially, seared Ahi!!

Let's Unite!!!:)

walking2lose
09-05-2010, 10:47 AM
... and it'll take you to a new page with allllll your quotes. :) SO convenient. Message boards that don't have multi-quote make me sad.
WOOT!

It would be neat to be a 63 year old body builder :) Heck yeah!!

[QUOTE=Mikkijoe;3462597]
Starting a new focus group today that I will be co-leading, based on the Becks Diet Solution book about Cognitive Therapy. We were going to have one group for 6 weeks, but some wanted the noon hour and some wanted eveings, so we are doing both! Oh boy! This sounds very cool - where do you do this, Mikki?

I lost about 8 lbs. I'm rarely craving sweets anymore.
I'm super impressed - 8lbs rocks!

[QUOTE=Ilene;3463496]Well I'll be, I've been here almost 10 years and never even used the "post reply" button, I always use the "Quick Reply " or "Go Advance" :lol: ... I think you may have created a monster, see below :dizzy: Hee, hee... that's two of us!

[QUOTE=sparky1946;3463934]
I treat bacon grease (uncured anyway) like gold... I do too, and I never in MILLION years thought I would be cooking hamburgers (and whatever) in leftover bacon grease! In my fat phobia years (the last couple decades), you couldn't have paid me to do that. We had burgers last night cooked in bacon grease. Trader Joe's has grassfed organic ground beef -yay!

I know I need to eat more but it is so weird that I am not hungry. In Good Calories, Bad Calories Taubes writes a lot about studies comparing starvation diets (very low calorie - the standard for much of 20th cent in obesity treatment) vs. low carb -- interestingly on low carb the patients could eat plenty (sometimes 3K calories a day) but still lost and did not suffer hunger. Even more interestingly, even when they ate low carb AND lowered calories they WERE STILL NOT HUNGRY. Hence, I guess, the tendency and ease of low carbers to fast.

Newbie here, I have lost 13 lbs and now am kinda looking to do this plan...

Welcome!

Where's Claire? I've failed you my dear. I missed a day of exercising :( How's about 13/14 days ;) Here I am, and I must say 13 out of 14 rocks! I am at the end of my 2 week "induction" -- I'm fairly pleased, though with school starting and STRESS racheting up, I did have some "cheats" -- on about 4 different days I had a handful of macademia nuts. I had dark chocolate (small piece) 3 nights. I ate a couple strawberries. I did manage to forgo alcohol completely (!!). Nuts and fruit are not supposed to be consumed on induction. Friday I had a dr. appt at 3:30 in afternoon, so my weigh in was after breakfast, lunch, and lots of water - I was 146 exactly :carrot: , which was 10 lbs. lighter than my last visit in May. I'm pleased with that and know that it's more like 12lb. if I weigh in morning. Hoping to hit 140 by end of month.

The challenge for me now is being back at work and being utterly and totally surrounded by JUNK, sugar, more JUNK, and more SUGAR -- carb explosion :( I have 2 colleagues now who are low carbers and we are trying to stick together.

I plan to continue this induction way of eating (VLC) for another week or two if anyone wants to join me it would be great.

Have a primal day!

walking2lose
09-05-2010, 10:47 AM
Pardon my glitches in my mass quoting attempts... it'll take some practice. :)

srmb60
09-05-2010, 12:12 PM
I'm not even going to try the multi quote thing.

Hi Chewy! Welcome!

I walked back and forth to church today in the most awful shoes. Very cute but argh! my toes. I'd better get some of those nonslippy things for under the ball of my foot.

I got my copy of Good Calories, Bad Calories. My goodness it's a big book! I might have to read it off and on between fiction ;)

Quiet day today. DH has to run a little errand at work, we have a quick family obligation at around six. I think I'll throw in a load of laundry and curl up with a book. I could do a little hemming for DH too, but he has to be home for that.
I wonder if I can read on the elliptical.
Pork chops for supper methinks.

CJZee
09-05-2010, 04:49 PM
I plan to continue this induction way of eating (VLC) for another week or two if anyone wants to join me it would be great.

Hi Claire! I'd love to join you for two weeks of VLC. In the last week I've lost 2.2 lbs. of the 3.5 lbs. I gained on my European trip, putting me at 204.2. On Sept. 23 I'm going to visit some relatives I have not seen since I was a small child, so I'd really like to be 199 or less by then. Since they haven't seen me for years, it will make absolutely no difference to them, but it will make me feel GREAT and that is what I am aiming for.

Thanks! CJ

walking2lose
09-05-2010, 10:01 PM
I got my copy of Good Calories, Bad Calories. My goodness it's a big book! I might have to read it off and on between fiction ;)
Susan, I've been reading it all summer (for at least 2 months!) in between fiction and nonfiction books related to teaching. I've had about 3 books going at all times. It's very scientific, dense, and thorough, but it's absolutely one of the most enlightening books I've ever read (I mean that literally). About 50 pages in, I began to use a pencil to annotate to keep me focused -- I've underlined key points and written a few marginal notes. I'm toward the end now, and it's getting even more interesting. It's just an overwhelming read though - so much to take in, and if you are like me, it will validate fully the way you are now eating and leave you feeling bewildered at your adherence to low fat/low cal for so many years (well, I'm speaking for myself here).

At the risk of sounding hyperbolic, I feel it's been a life changing book for me.

Taubes has a new book coming out in Dec. that is supposed to be more geared toward the layman - not so scientific, I guess, but an overview of what to eat. I am looking forward to reading it too.

Hi Claire! I'd love to join you for two weeks of VLC. In the last week I've lost 2.2 lbs. of the 3.5 lbs. I gained on my European trip, putting me at 204.2. On Sept. 23 I'm going to visit some relatives I have not seen since I was a small child, so I'd really like to be 199 or less by then. Since they haven't seen me for years, it will make absolutely no difference to them, but it will make me feel GREAT and that is what I am aiming for.
CJ

That would be fantastic, CJ! We can keep each other accountable. I may not post every day because of school starting Tue, but I will most definitely be checking in. Your goal sounds very reasonable, and it sounds like the scale is really cooperating with you! We can do this.

chewy
09-05-2010, 10:26 PM
I found a lo carb recipe website:

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/menus.html

Here are a couple I am going to try soon:

1. http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/most_awesome_pizza.html

The entire pizza only has 6 net carbs!

2. http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/improved_revolution_rolls.html

The roll has .5 net carb!

sparky1946
09-06-2010, 08:36 AM
Claire and CJ,

I was a bad, bad, girl yesterday..... I had a few pieces of a crummy frozen pizza I noticed in the freezer. It started when I had to use up some avocados. I bought some "healthier" tortilla chips for DH to use for dip. but I had to taste the stuff 'cause I hadn't made it in a while and wanted to make sure the recipe was still a good one (changing taste buds you know).

Anyway, I measured out 6 chips (my first cheat) and tasted the recipe. It needed salt badly but then my dh could've told me that. :( Well that brought on all kinds of crazy thoughts. How I miss chips. How I miss pizza and before you know it I was rationalizing baking 1/2 of this lonely little pizza that was sitting beside my grass-fed stuff.

Wound up having 88 carbs yesterday!!!!!

Anywho, I will be joining you for your 2 week induction challenge as well as MDA's challenge what ever that might mean. Is induction just keeping in ketosis? 20 grams or less carbs?

sparky1946
09-06-2010, 08:42 AM
Chewy,

First of all welcome!

I had a version of those rolls and I am going to try the one you posted. My SIL is a sandwich maniac and would love if these came even close to tasting OK for him. He is very overweight and doing IP sort of with a little Primal thrown in (my influence).

Thanks for the link.

Update: Made the rolls and they were quite acceptable. Gave some samples to SIL and he was thrilled.

CJZee
09-06-2010, 11:27 AM
Hi Sandy & Claire -

My plan is to eat only proteins and veggies. I am aiming for 20 grams of carbs, but won't go crazy if it's higher. I just want to eat "real" nutritious foods, keep carbs lowish, not be hungry and lose some weight.

If you want the "formal" Atkins induction, here is a link (http://www.veronicaatkinsfoundation.org/lifestyle.htm).

CJ

sparky1946
09-06-2010, 12:57 PM
I bought meself some Keto sticks :)

Reminiscent of my Atkins days in 1980??

Just for fun.

chewy
09-06-2010, 07:06 PM
Thank you for the welcomes!!

I failed at the one bread recipe, but found this on to work ok:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/atkins/149713-ground-flax.html

I am going to add some feta cheese and use 1 egg for 2 muffins, it was too eggy for me!

I also found this recipe:

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/flax_garlic_onion_flatbread.html

wendyland
09-06-2010, 09:35 PM
I just got back in town today. We had a great weekend at our cabin. Except for a small fire in the house. My oldest put a plastic dishtub full of moon sand on the toaster. Somehow, it got turned on and caused a pretty good size fire. We were able to get it out, but it was a little scary. We are going to turn off all appliances from now on except when they are in use. Big lesson learned for everyone.

My food choices were pretty bad. I had in my mind that I was doing the 30 day challenge at MDA and that meant free for all. I did do some sprinting. First time I've ran in quite awhile. It felt great.

I'm looking forward to the challenge, but also a little nervous. The second I tell myself that I can't have something, I want it like crazy. I need to go to the store tomorrow and stock up on meet and veggies.

Good luck to everyone else!

walking2lose
09-06-2010, 10:18 PM
Claire and CJ,

I was a bad, bad, girl yesterday..... I had a few pieces of a crummy frozen pizza I noticed in the freezer. It started when I had to use up some avocados. I bought some "healthier" tortilla chips for DH to use for dip. Put I had to taste the stuff 'cause I hadn't made it in a while and wanted to make sure the recipe was still a good one (changing taste buds you know).

Anyway, I measured out 6 chips (my first cheat) and tasted the recipe. It needed salt badly but then my dh could've told me that. :( Well that brought on all kinds of crazy thoughts. How I miss chips. How I miss pizza and before you know it I was rationalizing baking 1/2 of this lonely little pizza that was sitting beside my grass-fed stuff.

Wound up having 88 carbs yesterday!!!!!

Anywho, I will be joining you for your 2 week induction challenge as well as MDA's challenge what ever that might mean. Is induction just keeping in ketosis? 20 grams or less carbs?

Sandy and CJ - VERY, very excited to have a little group doing a 2 week VLC challenge -- it will help us all to know we are accountable! Essentially, yes, it is Atkins induction -- I plan to keep it primal with grass fed meat, farm eggs, and organic veg-- no weird Atkins bars or ingredients (sugar-free jello, etc.). Lunch packed for 1st day school tomorrow --coffee with whipping cream and coc oil at home, 2 hard boiled eggs breakfast, 1/2 avocado and cheese for snack, leftover beef and veg shisk-a-bob lunch. Dinner ... hopefully pork loin and salad.

We can do this ladies!! I'm actually excited in case you can't tell!

walking2lose
09-06-2010, 10:19 PM
p.s. Susan, are you shooting for another 14 day exercise challenge?? We will cheer you on!

And... still wondering where Bob is and hoping he's ok.

chewy
09-06-2010, 11:19 PM
I will also be doing VLC and I am back to my Cauliflower Pizza Crust recipe, I failed at the flax ones big time!

Cauliflower Pizza Crust:

http://www.examiner.com/low-carb-in-national/cauliflower-pizza-crust-worth-its-wow-gold

Today we bought some meats at WFM, all hormone free, but we both stopped eating meat 2 months ago, so it was hard for us to eat alot of it.

I am going to still add meat to my diet, for protein, since I am not eating beans or any grains except flax.

srmb60
09-07-2010, 05:13 AM
A two week challenge? hmmm ... what'll I do? What day are we starting?

sparky1946
09-07-2010, 08:54 AM
I skipped 163 and dropped to 162 on my first induction day, which was also a fast day where I made it 36 hours. My little keto stick showed a trace so I am on my way. I want to get as low as possible by the time I go for my annual physical 9/27.

I read recently that if you sit all day for your job, you need to get up every 20 minutes or so and move. That it is almost dangerous not to. That 40 minutes of a walk is good but not enough to prevent age-related dangers.
So yesterday, I did not work (Labor Day here in the States), so I cooked.
I found that getting up every now and then (from reading GCBC) to cut, chop and prepare food for this week, made me kind of restless and I could barely read a few pages until I had to get up and move. A rare feeling :).

I wrote out a list of small household chores, like cleaning out the junk drawer in the kitchen, to help me quickly get up and do something that won't take too long. This is not really exercising as it is just getting out of the chair.
We will see how it works when I am actually working on websites and Quickbooks today.

Is this Day one or Day two of our VLC induction challenge?

I checked MDA and nothing yet posted on the Challenge.

tymaboy
09-07-2010, 09:46 AM
I have been off the band wagon for the last couple weeks. I am hoping to get back on this week. This weekend we went camping. My inlaws came & spent Sat nite in the camper with us & a few other friend came for dinner. 1 person looked at me & said youve lost weight & said I looked pretty good. I didnt think it was that noticable then when we returned the camper to the inlaws on Monday my SIL said the same thing. I did not mention to anyone that I was trying to loose or anything so it is realy nice when they notice on their own. I am hoping to to get back on track so it is more of a difference come the holidays. My neice is getting married in April so I am hoping to be in the lower 130s by then.

Mikkijoe
09-07-2010, 11:48 AM
Hi guys, long weekend and I tend not to post on the weekend (my family time comes first!)

I wont be doing aa 2 wweek induction, but I give you guys all the kudos (hahahah first I posted KIDOS) in the world. I am sticking to Primal, I tend to stick to 50-65 carbs a day anyway and I am perfectly happy with that.

Does anyone else notice that cravings go up when you start trying to re-create things that are not on our plan? (like bread) I found that in the past so I just quit. Nothing would compare and I would just continue to think about the original item until I would give in 'just once' ......and then the cravings would be worse.

With the "becks" class that I am co-leading we create response cards for ourselves to go back to when we are tempted with things, or have negative talk in our head........My all time favorite is "Just Do It Anyway". Dont want to get up earlier in the morning, Just do it anyway. Dont want to take the time to chop veggies, just do it anyway. Would rather just get a burger instead of go home and cook, Just do it anyway........ It really does work. Its amazing how much the thoughts in our heads can justify bad behavior, OR reinforce good behavior!

Today IF 6pm last night till 6pm today
Dinner, salad with left over egg salad, chicken salad, cooked porkchops, cucumber and tomato, Strawberries with coconut milk

Ilene
09-07-2010, 01:05 PM
Does anyone else notice that cravings go up when you start trying to re-create things that are not on our plan? (like bread) I found that in the past so I just quit. Nothing would compare and I would just continue to think about the original item until I would give in 'just once' ......and then the cravings would be worse.

:yes: I absolutely agree!! The more I eat off Paleo plan the more I crave carbs... Like today :rolleyes: the weekend was off and now today I am OFF!! I did IF from 6pm last night till 10:30 this morning...

Food today:

Full fat yogurt, walnuts, peach, protein shake
Tuna burger, yello beans

wendyland
09-07-2010, 02:48 PM
With the "becks" class that I am co-leading we create response cards for ourselves to go back to when we are tempted with things, or have negative talk in our head........My all time favorite is "Just Do It Anyway". Dont want to get up earlier in the morning, Just do it anyway. Dont want to take the time to chop veggies, just do it anyway. Would rather just get a burger instead of go home and cook, Just do it anyway........ It really does work. Its amazing how much the thoughts in our heads can justify bad behavior, OR reinforce good behavior!

That was pretty much my mantra at lunch today. I wanted to eat out, but decided to go to the store instead. After shopping, I was so hungry and still wanted to stop and get something quick. I didn't want to cook my lunch, but I did it anyway. I had leftover steak, stir-fried with some coconut oil, broccoli, shallots, ginger & wheat free tamari sauce. It was pretty good.

walking2lose
09-07-2010, 07:50 PM
Yay! So psyched to have so many joining a mini-challenge - 2 weeks of VLC primal. Today can be day 1 or 2, I guess. I had alcohol for the first time in two weeks on Sun night - one glass red wine. Then last night I had another glass and a half. But my eating was really good yesterday and today.

Today (1st day of school AND I had night school until 7:30-ugh) I had 2 hard boiled eggs for breakfast, lunch was leftover grassfed steak shish-k-bob (yum), snack was 1/2 avocado and some melted cheese. Dinner will likely be a green salad and some pork loin.

Because of night school and just getting home, today will be an off day of exercise.

I would love to crack 140 in a few weeks!

srmb60
09-08-2010, 04:45 AM
Well, I've already missed a day.

Worked yesterday and then went out to dinner. We've had BScN students this summer and they are done and headed back to school. Lovely girls and great nurses already!
But no exercise for me yesterday.

I'm ploughing through GCBC. As long as I'm in a quiet place and can really pay attention ... it's fascinating and I'm actually enjoying it.

walking2lose
09-08-2010, 06:15 AM
I'm ploughing through GCBC. As long as I'm in a quiet place and can really pay attention ... it's fascinating and I'm actually enjoying it.

I agree -- it's fascinating and very enlightening... just a lot to take in!

CJZee
09-08-2010, 06:49 AM
I'm "officially" starting the two-week challenge today. What I am doing:
• Exercising 6 days per week;
• eating VLC primal;
• taking my vitamins every day;
• doing my back exercises every day;
• getting 15 minutes of daily sun when possible.

sparky1946
09-08-2010, 08:48 AM
I agree on trying to recreate things like "bread" leads to craving the real thing. I am doing this more for my husband and SIL than myself as I am not a big bread eater. I love bruschetta with homegrown basil and tomatoes. I haven't found a french bread or country bread primal recipe so if and when I ever make brushetta again, I think I will use a sprouted grain bread or the real thing.

My SIL is a huge sandwich man, puts everything between two pieces of bread. My 40 year-old son wraps everything in a tortilla. He is not overweight and does not like much in the way of meat, he is going to be a tougher sell.

Bottom line for us is that, if a little oopsie roll will keep someone on track longer, I am all for it. My husband had a habit of eating his meals with a slice of bread almost to wash things down. I remember my dad was the same way. We always had a plate of "wonder" bread on the table. Yikes!!

Yesterday, I ate carefully but great. 23 carbs, I would've done better but I had to test taste the sandwich bread I made from elanaspantry site. I used half of the sweetener as her rolls were too sweet for my taste buds. The bread was OK. I am going to have my husband test it out this am toasted as reviewers say it is better that way.

On MDA, I have set up a blog where I am going to do the Julie and Julia thing. I am waiting for my "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" cookbook to come so I can start moving through the book and try to primalize the recipes. I think what I am going to find is that real French cooking with all the sauces and methods and ingredients used (except for the bread/desserts) is pretty darn primal. The French paradox, (low heart disease rates while eating full fat sources) may be explained....

wildviolets
09-08-2010, 05:05 PM
Has anyone seen an interview with Dr. Weil on Larry King Live where he praises Gary Taubes GCBC book? THe guests are Gary Taubes vs. Dr. Oz and Dr. Weil does a guess spot. Very interesting............

I think GCBC is a very impressive book. I need to get a copy and really read it again so I speak intelligently to those that think I'm crazy for eating Primal. Like many of you, I don't even tell people but I'd like to convince my husband and he would never have the time to read the book so I'm going to have to do a Cliff Notes version for him.

sparky1946
09-08-2010, 05:26 PM
wildviolets...

I always wanted to ask you what does "for a short time Lytham UK" describe?

I've wanted to live abroad and we even had our eye on San Miguel de Allende in Mexico. Lots of gringos retiring there until recently when they experienced their first kidnapping for ransom and murder!!

So I will need to live vicariously through others :)

wildviolets
09-08-2010, 05:55 PM
I think I joined this website when we were living in the UK. My husband had a 1 year assignment over there and it was wonderful. I was scared at first because I've never lived anywhere other than PA so it was a big thing for me but we got to travel alot and made some wonderful memories. Not sure if my son will remember it because he was only 3 but we talk about it alot.

I fantasize sometimes that when we retire, my dh will take an asignment or project in Italy, France or Spain. I think that would be great. But now that my son is in school I think I'd like to just stay where we are and just tag along on trips every once in awhile.

Thanks for asking! I've never been to Mexico....it's on my list though!

walking2lose
09-08-2010, 07:17 PM
Has anyone seen an interview with Dr. Weil on Larry King Live where he praises Gary Taubes GCBC book? THe guests are Gary Taubes vs. Dr. Oz and Dr. Weil does a guess spot. Very interesting............

I would LOVE to see that. I wonder if it can be found online.

One of my besties is a doc who completed Dr. Weil's Integrative Program Studies (2 year program for doctors) in Arizona - it's the only program of its kind and intensity. He has long been a proponent of healthy carbs, but he does give a blurb on the cover of GCBC, and my friend, a recently diagnosed type 1 diabetic (VERY rare at age 40) is pretty much primal now. Just all very interesting stuff... Glad to see Weil shifting with new information on all the studies (and skewing of the studies) coming to light.

walking2lose
09-08-2010, 07:18 PM
p.s. Why do you think Oz is so resistent to low carb? Really want to see it!

CJZee
09-08-2010, 07:28 PM
I would LOVE to see that. I wonder if it can be found online.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoQGRJqGQTs

And here is a transcript of the entire show so you have to skip through to where Taubes/Oz/and Weil talk:
http://archives.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0710/19/lkl.01.html

I am actually seeing a physician to studied with Dr. Weil and he tells me he is "far beyond" where Weil is. I'm going to have another session with him at the end of the month after he sees my bloodwork. He's supposed to use a combination of M.D. conventional and alternative therapies.

sparky1946
09-08-2010, 08:45 PM
24 carbs again today....Just can't seem to keep it to 20 but I am eating primally and good stuff. Pesto marinated chicken breasts with cucumbers on the side.

I read somewhere that when your body is processing ketones and fat well, your keto sticks may not show ketones in the urine. The more your body is efficient at burning fat, the better the utilization of ketones and the fewer are left to show up in your urine. So showing purple is not necessarily good. Your body has not fully adapted to using fat as fuel.

Hmmmm.....

srmb60
09-09-2010, 05:24 AM
Sandy,

We have a poster who is a long time maintainer with Atkins. I know her name is Kim but forget her user name. She said once that, if you are drinking lots and lots of water, your urine will be so dilute that ketones don't show.

I had a BAS yesterday for the first time in a long time and really enjoyed it.

sparky1946
09-09-2010, 08:28 AM
Thanks SusanB,
I kinda suspected that as well. I was curious about how you know when your body is producing the right enzymes etc. to burn fat as fuel. That seems to happen to most folks after a month or two, and after the carb flu, if one is to experience that. It would be neat if one could tell for sure. I know my waist is going down by just looking in the mirror. Some of that is reducing bloat as well, I presume.

All in all, this is a great way of reducing. After two weeks when I go back to 50 grams of carbs, I will feel like I am almost "cheating" :)

CJZee
09-09-2010, 11:57 AM
Yesterday was a great day for me on the challenge. 19.9 grams of carbs, good solid food. Did an exercise class in the morning, and felt good all day.

Today is also starting out well...wish me luck! CJ

sparky1946
09-09-2010, 09:08 PM
27 for me. Are we subtracting fiber? :)

Ilene
09-09-2010, 09:31 PM
I've done good today too :dance: back on track... I was really off yesterday, I was craving carbs all day... Today I'm not hungry or craving :D ...

CJZee
09-10-2010, 06:51 AM
23 for me. Are we subtracting fiber? :) I think we should subtract fiber because otherwise I can't eat an avocado (grin). Yesterday I was up to 52 grams of net carbs, but made good food choices all-in-all. I did have some black beans which pumped up my carbs. Better today.

I'm going to water aerobics class in a few minutes. Will eat when I get back about 10:30 a.m. I'm planning an omelet with sauteed veggies and a little leftover steak from last night.
------
CJ

sparky1946
09-10-2010, 11:19 AM
I've done good today too :dance: back on track... I was really off yesterday, I was craving carbs all day... Today I'm not hungry or craving :D ...

Good for you, Ilene. When I get to 148, and I will, I want you and me to get to 140 together. I need someone to kick my butt as here is where I get into trouble 'cause my clothes start fitting better etc. If you can get to 140 before me, go for it. If not, I'll be pulling in behind soon. We can do it together....

PS. this assumes that your weight listed is accurate and you haven't forgotten to post your losses. :)

sparky1946
09-10-2010, 11:28 AM
I felt great walking this am. Like I could conquer the world if need be. I made foccocia flax bread and it was bland. But I liked the texture and it would be great for little pizza's etc. So....I am going to make some homemade pepperoni, primal sauce and cheese and spices and try one today. Others, who have made this bread, have added savory stuff or sweet stuff to perk up the flavor. I just did the base recipe using raw honey in place of the artificial sweetener. Maybe the honey was not enough flavor or my taste buds are hosed. I can't test taste too much as I cannot spare the carbs. However, the 11gr includes 10 gr of fiber. I really know this to be true. The bowels moved let me tell you TMI.

Update:
I took 1/3 lb. grass-fed ground beef and put in all the spices like I was making pepperoni, I then added 1/2 can tomato paste and 1/2 can water and simmered until it looked like a pizza sauce consistency. I took a 3 by 3 square of flax bread, halved it horizontally, put a slice of mozzarella on top of each square, added "sauce", sprinkled with Mexican cheese shreds and a pinch of Italian seasonings and broiled on low for 4 minutes. Not bad.... You couldn't really taste the flax bread but it supplied enough of a base to support the rest of the stuff. I ate it with a fork but could've probably picked it up. I am going to continue "perfecting" this until I can use this as a pizza base for real. I love Amy's cornmeal crust pizzas and if I could tweak this enough, I could maybe recreate the taste. The consistency really is close, now the flavor needs to be figured out.

Mikkijoe
09-10-2010, 07:01 PM
Sounds like you are havng fun Sandy! I dont dare try to replace bread or pasta with 'legal' stuff, it would be the start of a very fast spiral down!

I have a wedding to cater on Sunday and the rehearsal lunch on Saturday. plus the pastors birthday tonight, and church Saturday morning, and I wanted to go out to a winery Sat night where some friends are playing....WAY too much planned. Plus I probably should stay away from the winery, they have a Black Forrest Dessert wine that tastes like chocolate and cherries, it is to die for, and I would drink the whole freaking bottle, granted it is a dessert wine, so the bottle and glasses are tiny, but STILL I better stay away from it.

Tonight at the party there are hot wings and BBQ chicken, not going to worry about the sauce, I know there is some honey in the hot wings, but the butter counter acts, right??? Plus we are bringing out 'Tomato Bisque with an Indian Twist" soup...
Tomorrow is baked potato bar, and Ice Cream Sundae bar for 100. Sunday is Italian Food for 250....can you tell I made these menus before I went primal? LOL OH BOY, but I will be doing lots of lifting heavy things, I will get lots of movement here and there and hope it all goes well. I will NOT be eating the pasta, or potato! that is for sure.

AND just WHEN did a rehearsal dinner have almost HALF of the entire wedding guests invited? I mean really, when I suggested an ice cream sundae bar I was not expecting to scoop 100 scoops of ice cream! dang!

I think 2 sweet potatoes a week or so ago, and the nuts are messing me up, so getting off both of those. See if I can pick it up again

Have a great weekend my little pretties!

Ilene
09-10-2010, 08:05 PM
Good for you, Ilene. When I get to 148, and I will, I want you and me to get to 140 together. I need someone to kick my butt as here is where I get into trouble 'cause my clothes start fitting better etc. If you can get to 140 before me, go for it. If not, I'll be pulling in behind soon. We can do it together....

PS. this assumes that your weight listed is accurate and you haven't forgotten to post your losses. :)You assume the weight is wrong, but in the opposite direction you are thinking of :lol: I'm at 155 as of this morning... I can't remember when that 148 was... I'll go change that number right now... But Sparky, we can definitely :kickbutt: together :D

Had another great day... Did not exercise though, it's Friday and I rarely exercise on Friday... Tomorrow is housework day and I'm supposed to run at 3pm also...

sparky1946
09-10-2010, 08:25 PM
MikkiJoe,

I am having fun but I am also frustrated and anxious to get it right or get it close. I just found a pizza recipe made from 2 cups mozzarella cheese, 2 Tbsp coconut flour, 1 ts baking soda, 2 eggs, 2 Tbsp flax meal. Mix all together and knead with greased hands. Spread to 1/4" thick on parchment lined pizza pan. Bake at 350* for 15 minutes, flip to other side and bake another 15 minutes. Cool and then top with cooked veggies, meats, cheese etc and then place under broiler until cheese is bubbly.

This will be next up tomorrow.....

Ilene... I need to lift heavy things but I just cannot stand the thought of weight gain even though I know it is good weight. I cannot take it psychologically. You work out so hard so I am sure you look great compared to flabby me. I will be at 155 about Sept. 25 if things do not slow down.

Let us pray......

Forgot to post - managed 19 gr carbs today.

Ilene
09-10-2010, 09:54 PM
Sparky , lifting is my favourite thing for years I only did weights but a very good friend got me into running so now I have two favourites :D ... which is good we need a good balance of both... I also love Yoga but don't get a chance to do it often...

Brown , I agree Chineese food is the worse... Eat before going? Some protein, then have your veggies at the restaurant...

chewy
09-10-2010, 10:34 PM
I made cauliflower pizza crust and breadsticks yesterday.
I had smoked salmon on one for breakfast today with a few red onions cream cheese and feta spread. I cannot stomach the flax bread with the egg it is too rich for me.

I feel 5 more lbs lighter and am almost down 1 pants size.

srmb60
09-11-2010, 06:23 AM
127 lbs this morning my darlings! I'm so excited I could sing!
I'm thinkin' it's a Godsmack ;) I lifted and did cardio yesterday. What's that you're saying? I was actually supposed to be doing that along with eating primally all along? I'm such a slow learner sometimes.

I picked up some smallish chicken breasts last week and shoved then in the freezer. Yesterday kinda got messed up because I got called to work for 4 hours in the middle of the day. Then something came up and we had to rush out the door shortly after DH got home for dinner. So I fried the chicken in bacon grease. Broccoli with butter. It was lovely! and very quick.
I think I meant to do the chicken in curry when I bought it. I guess I'll do that with the other package.

sparky1946
09-11-2010, 09:21 AM
I'm thinkin' it's a Godsmack ;) I lifted and did cardio yesterday. What's that you're saying? I was actually supposed to be doing that along with eating primally all along? I'm such a slow learner sometimes.

I picked up some smallish chicken breasts last week and shoved then in the freezer. Yesterday kinda got messed up because I got called to work for 4 hours in the middle of the day. Then something came up and we had to rush out the door shortly after DH got home for dinner. So I fried the chicken in bacon grease. Broccoli with butter. It was lovely! and very quick.
I think I meant to do the chicken in curry when I bought it. I guess I'll do that with the other package.
I couldn't figure out who this is..... then it dawned on me....Where is your picture? Are you posing for a new 127 model :)

Congratulations!!!

srmb60
09-11-2010, 09:36 AM
Ack! I hate having my picture taken. That one was old and I haven't had long hair in years! I'll have to think on that for a while.

sparky1946
09-11-2010, 10:02 AM
Correction Ilene,

I am charting my weight everyday and I go down 2, up 2, down 2, up one, etc. So my DH asked me what my weekly average was. I sat down and calculated that I am losing about 1 and 1/3 lb. a week so I had to change my projection of weighing 155 to around Oct. 6th.

This does not take into account the 20 grams or less challenge we are doing which might make that move up a little.

The other day I went to the store and bought SPAM!!!! I know this is not one of the primal meats but I love it. Memories of my childhood. I also used to fix it for my kids, ground up with cheddar cheese, tomato soup and onions. I then spread it on buns and broiled it. My grown kids still ask for it and when I make it just for fun, it doesn't quite taste as good as their memories. But I enjoyed every last bite of it fried in a pan. However, the sodium is off the charts so I went back up to 164 which kind of scared me until this morning, I am back down to 162 as I did not indulge yesterday.

I find if I am feeling at all deprived, a good chunk of fatty pork, satisfies me and makes me feel kinda cocky :)

sparky1946
09-11-2010, 11:59 AM
I have a wedding to cater on Sunday and the rehearsal lunch on Saturday.
Tomorrow is baked potato bar, and Ice Cream Sundae bar for 100. Sunday is Italian Food for 250....can you tell I made these menus before I went primal? LOL OH BOY, but I will be doing lots of lifting heavy things, I will get lots of movement here and there and hope it all goes well. I will NOT be eating the pasta, or potato! that is for sure.

AND just WHEN did a rehearsal dinner have almost HALF of the entire wedding guests invited? I mean really, when I suggested an ice cream sundae bar I was not expecting to scoop 100 scoops of ice cream!

Does this mean that you are a caterer? I thought you were a nurse :dizzy:

walking2lose
09-11-2010, 10:36 PM

Susan, Where'd your old name and profile pic go? This threw me for a loop.

Well, my week has been rough to say the least. If you click here (http://www.dailypress.com/news/gloucester-county/dp-nws-gloucester-deaths-20100908,0,4366862.story), you'll see that it's been quite traumatic and exercise and proper eating weren't priorities. I taught one daughter who has already graduated and currently am in my second year of teaching the middle daughter (a junior), and we are close. I was very friendly with the mother who finally separated from husband this summer. There is a brother who is a sophomore. My student and her brother found them when they got home from school. As if it's not the worst imaginable nightmare, their real father died when the kids where 6, 8, and 10. I have no words. I am drained and plan to sleep lots tonight and exercise tomorrow. Then gear up for exhausting 2nd week of school along with emotional funeral and so on. Just wanted to let you all know what's been going on.

Ilene
09-11-2010, 11:07 PM
Susan, Where'd your old name and profile pic go? This threw me for a loop.

Well, my week has been rough to say the least. If you click here (http://www.dailypress.com/news/gloucester-county/dp-nws-gloucester-deaths-20100908,0,4366862.story), you'll see that it's been quite traumatic and exercise and proper eating weren't priorities. I taught one daughter who has already graduated and currently am in my second year of teaching the middle daughter (a junior), and we are close. I was very friendly with the mother who finally separated from husband this summer. There is a brother who is a sophomore. My student and her brother found them when they got home from school. As if it's not the worst imaginable nightmare, their real father died when the kids where 6, 8, and 10. I have no words. I am drained and plan to sleep lots tonight and exercise tomorrow. Then gear up for exhausting 2nd week of school along with emotional funeral and so on. Just wanted to let you all know what's been going on.
So sad :hug:

chewy
09-12-2010, 12:22 AM
I have 2 lo carb pizza crust recipes to share:

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/thinandcrispy_pizza.html

http://www.meandjorge.com/search/label/recipe

srmb60
09-12-2010, 06:39 AM
Oh Claire! That is sad ...

sparky1946
09-12-2010, 08:42 AM
Claire... this is so tragic. Do you know what is going to happen to the kids? Have they created any kind of fund for them, yet?

sparky1946
09-12-2010, 08:44 AM
As far as the carb challenge goes, 12 grams yesterday. I was going for a 36 hour fast and only made it 24 hours. Hadn't eaten since 3 pm the day before.
My husband wanted pork steaks for dinner and the smell did me in. :)

walking2lose
09-12-2010, 09:40 AM
Claire... this is so tragic. Do you know what is going to happen to the kids? Have they created any kind of fund for them, yet?

We have created a fund at our school for the kids (or I should say it's in the works). They have a wonderful aunt and uncle who live a couple towns away.The kids are close to this aunt and uncle, and they never had children of their own. When we took dinner Thu, they had set the table for 12 and insisted we (3 teachers-we are all very close to the kids and knew mom well) stay for the meal, which was smart -- we laughed and the kids were able to feel relaxed and distracted for the first time. We know, though, that the kids really need to be in our school where they will have so much support from friends and teachers, rather than change to a new school. We are all working on making that happen. Still wrapping my brain around all of it. Thanks for all the support.

Ilene
09-12-2010, 02:05 PM
Hang in thre Claire :hug:

Just made this Primal Rosemary Olive Oil Cake (http://thisprimallife.com/2010/08/primal-rosemary-olive-oil-cake/) I can't wait to taste it, the batter sure was good :hun:

This morning ran 40 mins then the gym worked arms 30 mins... :strong: it's all good...

sparky1946
09-12-2010, 08:34 PM
28 grams of carbs today. Made another batch of bread and had to taste. Otherwise I wouldn't been under 20. I gotta quit baking. It's like I am possessed.

I am keeping track of the average and it is 20 so far 7 days into the challenge so that looks better.

CJZee
09-13-2010, 07:56 AM
Where is Susan?

I've been doing pretty well on the challenge. I've lost 3 pounds in the last 4 days and finally was able to change my ticker to 201 (as soon as I see it on the scale, I change it!) A couple pounds of this was my "travel weight" but the last pound was real and I haven't been this low for 20 years or more.

However, today I'm up again to 203 this a.m. but I think that's because I ate dinner at 10 o'clock last night. Hoping to be back to 201 tomorrow with Onederland within shouting distance. Darn! I wish I had skipped dinner last night.

Claire, that tragedy is heartbreaking. Hugs to you and yours.

srmb60
09-13-2010, 08:23 AM
Go CJ! That's awesome!

I'm going shopping! I need some coconut milk and well since that's just across the street from a mall ....

I had kinda planned on putting some vegetables in the freezer this week. Maybe I should drive through the country to see what I can find.

Mikkijoe
09-13-2010, 12:10 PM
Hello!

Long weekend, and Oh so tired today.

Sandy: no I am not a nurse, nor am I a caterer. BUT I used to have my own catering business when the kids were little and I do it now and then for friends (in other words for free LOL) For my real work (of which I came today to get some rest) I work at a Staffing company that places people in long term and short term jobs. Basically, I hire and fire all day and do payroll for 130 peeps once a week. I have been doing this for 10 years, and the average life span in my position industry wide is 6 months, just goes to show ya I am incredibly slow to come around! (it is considered one of the higher stress jobs)
But I do thrive when things are busy and chaotic.

Anyway, long story short, my weekend was slammed with the reheasal dinner on Saturday and the wedding on Sunday. My back is killing me and I had leg cramps all night long, and funny thing is they were not in my calf or my foot, the were on the top of my leg, just to the outside of my shin, is that not weird or what!

I did have a sliver of cake yesterday, and I had a spoon of pesto with noodles, other than that it was salad, so really no protien, and not enough water. Today my joints all ache, beside my legs where I had the cramps. SO when I am done with this coffee I am hitting the water and then the herbal tea trying to flush this crud out of my system.

I have a new "life group" starting this week, where about 20 of us from my church will meet and practice worship music together. I am really looking forward to this. It will be immediatly after work, so hubby will get food prepared for this, There will be a pot of soup (vegetarian) and then salads and bread..........hmmmmm going to have to beef up on lunch that day huh?
And Friday I leave for a business meeting and return late Saturday, Dinner Friday we can do Red Robin and I can go low carb and high protien and fat, but Continental breakfast will be quite the challenge, and hotel served lunch usually is a salad, a protien and some carbs....then we will be driving home (4 hours) and will have to stop for something that is for sure. I am just hoping this does not get me too far off course, this weekend really through me, I should just let it go but it is bothering me, all for some pasta that was not all that great, and a piece of cake that was YUCKY

Anyone else into beating themselves up?

Ilene
09-13-2010, 01:17 PM
Yea, I'm beating myself up.... Too many carbs yesterday put a 3# gain in 1 day :rolleyes: ...

Today back to routine, yet again... So far so good

Food today:

IF until 10:30, yogurt with a piece of olive oil cake I made yesterday and blueberries -- which DH did not like at all, and he's usually not picky at all... I love it and my parents loved it too...
salmon and BAS with piece of cake, I have to get rid of it, no one likes it :lol:

sparky1946
09-13-2010, 02:39 PM
OMG - I won the Primal Library prize in one of the MDA contests. I don't think I have ever won anything this nice before. That is the good news, now the bad news, I have 4 out of the 6 books already. I didn't tell them that as I have a son I would like to convert and the books will make a great gift!

I have to send in a picture when I get my books. That should be a laugh. I hope it takes them a long time to arrive. I will definitely dress up for the event!

I am so excited.....

Mikkijoe
09-13-2010, 02:45 PM
How exciting! That is one of the ones I wanted to Win!

Ilene
09-13-2010, 02:50 PM
:high: Sandy Congrats!!

srmb60
09-13-2010, 03:25 PM
I'm with you Sandy, I never win anything! And like you, I have family who needs those books. You'll find good use for them, I'm sure. Congratulations!

MaddieD
09-13-2010, 08:44 PM
Greetings! I hope you don't mind if I join you?

I am Maddie (real orginal username huh?!) and while I didn't start out doing the primal diet...it sure looks like I am inadvertently following it. I was diagnosed with an overabundance of yeast (candida) and my doctor put me on an anti-candida diet. As I have allergies to dairy....it really limits what I can eat. Basically I have been eating meat/fish, seeds/nuts and LOTS of veggies. I was allowed one carb a day but for the past week or so I have totally forgot about eating carbs....and not miss them! YAY!!

I have been with 3FC for 20 days (just got my siggie option today!) and usually post with the 40-somethings...and while they are a great bunch...my diet is kinda way out there for them. kwim?

I loved the link in the very first post! I have spent the past 2 hours reading through a lot of the site. Most things I agree with 100%...now the hard part is to convince hubby and oldest daughter...youngest daughter is on track. lol

Nice meeting you!
Maddie

sparky1946
09-13-2010, 10:24 PM
Checking in with 22 carbs today. Had the grandkiddies today so that always wears me out but you know not as much as it used to. I remember going to the grocery store squatting down to get something off the bottom shelf and then not being able to get up. I would look around to find something to grab onto hoping that the whole shelving unit would not fall down :(.

Now I can go down and up with no issues, could be from walking and could be from eating Primal or both. I am up and down with the kids as well as up and down stairs. Their playroom is in the lower level.

I hope to hit 161 tomorrow.... I was 162.0 today. All I need is .1

Come on bod. Release the Grease.

Ilene
09-13-2010, 10:36 PM
Welcome Maddie :wave:

Sandy your comment : "Come on bod. Release the Grease." :rofl: cracked me right up.... sounds like you're really doing well...

Today I made a cabbage soup, it's getting cooler here and it's soup time :hun: ... I don't know how many carbs I had today but it wasn't much...I can feel it...

srmb60
09-14-2010, 07:02 AM
I remember going to the grocery store squatting down to get something off the bottom shelf and then not being able to get up. I would look around to find something to grab onto hoping that the whole shelving unit would not fall down

But I just thought I was getting old ... thought it was perfectly natural :dizzy:

Welcome Maddie! You're in good company here. Is there anybody who started weight loss/good health pursuit with Primal Blueprint? Mine was a very long and winding road.

Do you all want to do a thread about how we got here? Maybe someday if we have our own section here at 3FC, it'll be a sticky!

MaddieD
09-14-2010, 08:09 AM
Thanks for the welcome!

Weighed in this morning and I am down...yay...a total of 9.2 pounds in 3 weeks. I cannot believe the amount of energy I have and of course that influences my outlook on life. Who knew that carbs (expecially the "good" grains) could make you feel so crappy over a long period of time?

Hope everyone has a great day!

sparky1946
09-14-2010, 12:26 PM
Maybe someday if we have our own section here at 3FC, it'll be a sticky!
I was always wondering. What do we have to do to be sticky? It seems like we have a great discussion going...

Ilene
09-14-2010, 02:29 PM
I was always wondering. What do we have to do to be sticky? It seems like we have a great discussion going...I've asked and we need to be a bit bigger group... maybe in time :crossed:

Mikkijoe
09-14-2010, 06:06 PM
:joker:well crap...all along I thought the purpose of being here was to become smaller!

walking2lose
09-14-2010, 10:43 PM
:joker:well crap...all along I thought the purpose of being here was to become smaller!

Again, where's the "like" button?

Just to make everyone feel a whole lot better for whatever teeny cheats you may have had this week... here's a whopper. No, really, I ate a WHOPPER!! From Burger King! UGH! The funeral service for the mom who was murdered (strong word, but yes, she was murdered) was tonight. I ended up with three hys-ter-i-cal girls in my car (students who had no ride to the funeral), and I promised them food afterward -- their choice, BK. Now, I do not eat fast food -- almost never. I can't tell you the last time I was inside a BK. I had not eaten since 11am, I was starving, so I got a Whopper (planning on taking the bread off). Well, you just can't take the bread off a whopper -- it's oozing, gooey, and the bread is stuck to the meat anyway. So I ate it. Every bite of doughy bread. And I don't feel too bloated or bad - yet.

We'll see how I feel tomorrow. I already know I'm not going to weigh for a couple days.

The funeral was tough -- my heart just breaks for the loss of such a beautiful woman and for the 3 children left.

Ilene
09-14-2010, 10:55 PM
:joker:well crap...all along I thought the purpose of being here was to become smaller!:rofl: I guess I asked for that one ...

I had a not so good day, I ate stuff that I know is not Primal... I didn't exercise today either, everytime I don't exercise I don't eat well :shrug: go figure!!

srmb60
09-15-2010, 06:40 AM
Make a note of this ... I exercised and Ilene didn't. That don't happen very often!

Lots of walking and squats. How long do you think I'll be able to leave my ezbar laying on the livingroom floor before DH tidies it away ;) There's always a pair of dumbells on the coffee table but a whole barbell???

Ilene
09-15-2010, 06:53 AM
:lol: @ srmb60 x 2 .....

I had the worse sleep last night... I ate a garlicy tzatziki last night and the garlic is just not sitting well with me, I think I am one of the only people I know who does not like garlic...

Today, will be better all around... I am running this afternoon and going to the gym tonight :strong:

MaddieD
09-15-2010, 07:44 AM
Ilene...not like garlic? You wouldn't last long in this house....I put garlic on almost every meal I cook! My thinking is,if everyone eats it,no ones notices the smell. ;)

Clare...I read your past posts. So sad and needless. The poor kids.

Had a doctor's appointment yesterday for a blood pressure check. I am down 8 points both top and bottom numbers. Yay! Hopefully my next appointment will show normal numbers rather than the normal-high ones I had.
Well I am off to do my Nordictrack ski machine. Have a great day!

sparky1946
09-15-2010, 09:21 AM
I ate 50 grams of carbs yesterday which took my challenge average to 24. Thank goodness, today is a fast day. I could not resist an apple which has 22 carbs in it and we had some raw milk that had to be used up which has 12 carbs.

I am such a bad old thing... I ate an apple and a glass of milk. Bad, Bad, Bad...

Mikkijoe
09-15-2010, 11:30 AM
Sandy, you should be flogged with a wet noodle......but after those BAD BAD apple and milk splurges I dont dare bring a noodle near you!

So here is the rest of my week.........why do I set myself up like this?
1. today work, teach class at noon, finish work day, teach class right after work.
2. Go home and figure out what I am wearing this weekend to my business function, start to pack my bag
3. Thursday work, and my receptionist is gone for the day....arrrhhgggg
4. Frantic finish packing in the morning, give everyone orders before I leave the house, work 3-4 hours, give instructions to a fill in receptionist who will run the office while we are gone, hit the road for 4 hours
5. the 4 hour trip will probably turn into 6 hours since the boss is driving and he will want to stop at the casino....arrrggghhh
6. Hit the hotel and look for something to eat, probably Red Robin
7. Seminar starts at 7am and goes until 4pm, then a 4 hour drive home
8. Sunday, re-coop, clean up the kitchen, give the family attention they missed out on

OK I am tired just typing that out!

sparky1946
09-15-2010, 12:54 PM
So here is the rest of my week.........why do I set myself up like this?
1. today work, teach class at noon, finish work day, teach class right after work.
2. Go home and figure out what I am wearing this weekend to my business function, start to pack my bag
3. Thursday work, and my receptionist is gone for the day....arrrhhgggg
4. Frantic finish packing in the morning, give everyone orders before I leave the house, work 3-4 hours, give instructions to a fill in receptionist who will run the office while we are gone, hit the road for 4 hours
5. the 4 hour trip will probably turn into 6 hours since the boss is driving and he will want to stop at the casino....arrrggghhh
6. Hit the hotel and look for something to eat, probably Red Robin
7. Seminar starts at 7am and goes until 4pm, then a 4 hour drive home
8. Sunday, re-coop, clean up the kitchen, give the family attention they missed out on

OK I am tired just typing that out!

And I am tired reading it. I wish you all the luck in the world finding things to eat that are quick and easy and primal on your trip. I am lucky that I work out of my house and can control stuff. My DH is slowly getting in to this WOE so even that is so much easier. My SIL is on board and he claims that his allergies are better, which if true would be amazing as he has 3 little kids who just may turn out to have allergies as well. It would be a miracle if they did not have to suffer 'cause their parents "got it" early in their lives.

I felt great walking this a.m. Could it be a few extra apple?milk carbs and a little more energy? Of course, I did not ever get down to 161 so I am fasting today and will make it till tomorrow morning and if I do not see 161, I will be most upset.:devil:

srmb60
09-15-2010, 03:30 PM
I'm going hunting for salad dressing recipes. I'll let you know if I find anything good ... maybe even dipping sauce ;)

Many many many recipes here! I'm so hungry now!
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-recipes/

Ilene
09-15-2010, 03:47 PM
Today I am running at 4, at 6, then the gym at 7... That's the plan anyways :faint:....

Mikkijoe
09-15-2010, 05:28 PM
I'm almost 155 today. Seriously, this is getting old. <_<

Oh, QUESTION: What do you guys use for dipping sauce for chicken/steak? I know many use butter for steak, but it doesn't seem to work for me. I also know "If you cook steak right, you don't need sauce!" but that doesn't work for me either. I suck at cooking steak and I need a sauce. Sometimes chicken is fine without it, but often times I want and use (sucralose-sweetened) BBQ. I'd like to find something..wholer.

Know how to make a butter compound? soften it, add herbs and seasonings roll it in a tube on syran and put it in the fridge, then slice off pieces and put right onto your steak after you plate it, and dont cut the steak for 10 mins!
I love garlic, or a new favorite is cinnamon and red pepper! YUM

My all time favorite steak or chicken topping is avacado, mashed up with some sea salt, maybe some garlic and red pepper, MAYBE just maybe go as far as adding diced onion etc......great with steak and chicken too

Mikkijoe
09-15-2010, 05:31 PM
Today I am running at 4, at 6, then the gym at 7... That's the plan anyways :faint:....

Running from what??? I sure hope it does not catch you!

Ilene
09-15-2010, 05:41 PM
Running from what??? I sure hope it does not catch you!Something will CATCH me!!:dizzy:

sparky1946
09-15-2010, 07:12 PM
Nature's Hollow Sugar Free Ketchup Sweetened with Xylitol

This stuff is expensive so I treat it like gold. I have to have ketchup with certain meats. :o

I have a bunch of relatives-in-law that are dentists and insist that all the grandkiddies chew gum with xylitol. They rave about it. I have xylitol sweetener for my tea and it loosens me up a little, which sometimes is good when you are really low-carb.

You can find it online and some Whole Foods type stores carry it.

deetermined2
09-15-2010, 08:18 PM
Hi, all,

I've been doing BFC but am thinking of doing Primal/ Paleo. Are flax seeds and chia seeds off limits on these diets? What about flax seed oils? I was getting ready to order the books on Amazon along with some Barleans Omega Swirls and wondered whether I should rethink my order.

Ilene
09-15-2010, 09:05 PM
:welcome: deetermined :wave: I still use my flax seed and oil...

Sandy, never heard of xylitor ...

I am pooped, 2 runs and the gym, more than makes up for not exercising yesterday :lol:

sparky1946
09-15-2010, 09:37 PM
Sandy, never heard of xylitor ...

About Xylitol - Overview from http://www.xylitolinfo.com

Xylitol is a sweetener found in many fruits and vegetables and is even produced by the human body during normal carbohydrate metabolism . Xylitol is typically manufactured from birch trees or other natural xylan-rich sources
Clinically Proven

In scientific studies over more than 30 years, dental researchers have pointed to Xylitol, as a key ingredient in the fight against tooth decay. Found in natural sources, such as fruits and vegetables, Xylitol is a familiar sweetener in sugar-free products such as chewing gum. Xylitol not only adds a pleasant taste, but also reduces the incidence of tooth decay.
It Tastes Good

Xylitol has the same sweetness and bulk as sucrose with 40% less calories and no aftertaste. In fact, Xylitol is the sweetest of all bulk sugar substitutes. Plus, it has a very pleasant cooling sensation when it dissolves in the mouth making Xylitol a great partner in applications with mint and citrus flavors.
Xylitol Is In Many Products Already

Xylitol is widely approved for use in foods, pharmaceuticals and cosmetics in many countries around the world. Current Xylitol products include chewing gum and other confectionery, pharmaceuticals (syrups and chewable tablets), oral hygiene products such as toothpastes and mouthwashes, and dietetic and diabetic foods.
Can Anybody Use Xylitol?

Xylitol is a low-glycemic sweetener and is metabolized independently of insulin. Xylitol does not cause the sharp increase in blood sugar levels or the associated serum insulin response, which is usually seen following consumption of other carbohydrates. Thus, Xylitol can be recommended as a sugar-free sweetener suitable for diabetics as well as for the general population seeking a healthier lifestyle.

chewy
09-15-2010, 10:26 PM
Hi, all,

I've been doing BFC but am thinking of doing Primal/ Paleo. Are flax seeds and chia seeds off limits on these diets? What about flax seed oils? I was getting ready to order the books on Amazon along with some Barleans Omega Swirls and wondered whether I should rethink my order.

I guess Barleens is ok, some of us are doing no grains/bean in addition to low or no sugar including artifical ones, and 20ish carbs per day...however, you are going from the BFC to Primal, the omega swirl should be fine.

I was drinking a smoothie in the AM with 20g carbs in it and I still lost weight.

Really we all just do what is best for us, some fast some do not...etc

srmb60
09-16-2010, 07:06 AM
Yup, we all have our little tweaks. I'm finding PB to be very flexible and easy to personalize.

Do Barleans have beans and grain?

MaddieD
09-16-2010, 07:41 AM
Hi, all,

I agree with the others...you use what works for you. I am doing "technically" an anti-candida diet (no sugar or substitutes at all, no grains, very limited beans and legumes, no dairy and no fungi ie mushrooms). Not a perfect primal diet but pretty darn close. And because of my body's love of yeast...this is becoming my way of life...not a just a month or two fix so I can get back to eating like I used to.

sparky1946
09-16-2010, 08:47 AM
Yea! I am down to 160, but I cannot remember how to change my 3FC ticker?? Help. (Update: I went into my signature and redid the whole ticker but their must be a direct link. I know I did this differently before.) Hmmmmm....

Had 1 carb yesterday. 2 week challenge average is 21.5...

(Update 2: I just had to click the A/A box to switch editor mode in the upper right hand corner to view the html code. I must have turned it off before.)

Ilene
09-16-2010, 09:25 AM
Sandy -- thanks for the info on Xylitol... sorry can't help you with the ticker, I never had one...

Down one lb this morning :dance: ...

Mikkijoe
09-16-2010, 11:24 AM
Hey there!

As for artificial sweetners, I think it might be a good idea to cut as much as possible, then use the occational special ketchup or what ever in your 80/20 rule.
And I think someone mentioned cheeese, that really seems to slow the process down for some people.

I am back to thinking that I am not really getting enough carbs. I am usually under 50 every day, although my target is 50-75. In reading through the PB book again last night I see that 50-100 is the optimum for weight loss......I wonder why not lower.
I am going to continue on as I am right now--which I am still making progress dont get me wrong, BUT on Sunday when I am back in town I am going to reorganize the kitchen (kids maintain it) and get the meal planning for the week done so I have packed lunches......AND I am going to try to get up earlier in order to have a breakfast. I was thinking if I had a spinach blueberry and coconut milk smoothie that might really help me out. Frozen blueberries and a couple ice cubes, about half a cup of CM, some vanilla, and a huge handful of spinach leaves......mmmm that sounds good! Dang, wish I could run home and get one made right now!

Mikkijoe
09-16-2010, 11:30 AM
I dont care for the foreman for steaks. I like my cast iron skillet best, even over the grill. Get it hot, add some butter and turn to med high, put in the steak that has come up to room temp for at least an hour, I cook on one side about 4 mins, then the other side 4 mins.
To test done ness make a U shape with your thumb and pointer finger, with the other hand poke the flesh between the two digits, THAT amount of give is RARE, now make an O, that is MED rare, now curl your pointer finger entirely closed, that is well done (or in my family a wasted steak LOL) You cn also do it with lip-rare, chin-med, nose-well.....but for me I guess my chin is too boney, does not seem to be alot of difference between chin and nose.

MaddieD
09-16-2010, 12:37 PM
Yay for everyone who is down!!

I don't like those kind of grills as I find the meat cooks too quickly and you end up with well done (and not a fav here). I have a grill fry pan (square pan with raised ridges that mimic a BBQ) and that works really well. We only use it if it is snowing or pouring rain and don't want to use the real BBQ.

Good to know about the ticker...hoping to need to change it Tuesday! ;)

sparky1946
09-16-2010, 01:11 PM
I dont care for the foreman for steaks.

Me too with the cast iron griddle/grill pan. The foreman is good when you have a bunch of hungry kids and you need to get a bunch of burgers done quick. More meat seems to lower the temp a little. I also like the foreman to put a frozen hamburger patty and that cooks up fast and is not dried out. But never tried a frozen steak to see how that would work.

MikkiJ is right about letting your steak come to room temperature and then cooking it quickly. Especially grass-fed stuff. Takes a little getting used to. I still do not have a fool-proof way to roast a pastured 5 lb. roasting chicken. I have done it fast and I have done it slow. The next time I am going to use Julia Child's method of browning it on all sides in butter and then putting in a covered roasting pan. I also just got a rotisserie attachment for my grill but have not had a chance to try it out.:hungry:

Mikkijoe
09-16-2010, 07:41 PM
shove herbed butter under the skin all over, and I throw it in for an hour on 350........but 5 pounds...holy cow thats huge

walking2lose
09-16-2010, 08:13 PM
Know how to make a butter compound? soften it, add herbs and seasonings roll it in a tube on syran and put it in the fridge, then slice off pieces and put right onto your steak after you plate it, and dont cut the steak for 10 mins!
I love garlic, or a new favorite is cinnamon and red pepper! YUM

My all time favorite steak or chicken topping is avacado, mashed up with some sea salt, maybe some garlic and red pepper, MAYBE just maybe go as far as adding diced onion etc......great with steak and chicken too

Yum... I mix fresh basil (and/or other herbs from our garden) and maybe a smidge of garlic powder all summer long. Wonderful.

I like the avocado topping idea!

walking2lose
09-16-2010, 08:15 PM
ETA: There's a question-- what do you guys eat on your burgers? The sucralose-sweetened ketchup is always a staple with mine, but I need to at least temporarily cut it out.

I'm a big mustard/mayo lover, especially dijon...with grilled onions...yum.

MaddieD
09-17-2010, 07:33 AM
Brown...if you like sour cream and want to go dairy-free...get some plain soy yogurt, put it in a sieve and let it sit over a bowl for 3-4 hours in the fridge. A lot of the whey (liquid) will seep out so the consistency is even thicker than sour cream. We do that but with almond milk ( we have allerigies to dairy and soy here so I make almond milk yogurt)...add some herbs and you are good to go!

We do whole chicken like this...put then in the oven at 475 for about 20-25 minutes (just to get golden) and then take out and put in a large crockpot (slowcooker) and put lemon slices,garlic and fresh herbs (savory and sage are good) all over and then put the whole thing on low for 6 hours or so. That's been a lifesaver for the days when I teach. You can also freeze your leftover chicken. I also make stock from the bones and then make my own soup. No sodium and waaay cheaper than buying.

Raining like a bugger here. Was going to do some serious gardening (ie digging and moving palnts around) but really don't feel like being up to my knees in mud. Maybe tomorrow! ;)

Have a great weekend everyone!!

sparky1946
09-17-2010, 10:05 AM
The last couple times I've cut the chickens in half and only roast a half at a time. I just rinse it, dry it with paper towel, then put it in a pyrex dish and season it however I want to season it (today was cajun), usually including butter. Then put it in at 400 for about 50 minutes or so, depending on the size. Skin gets crispy, meat stays juicy. I get a couple pieces and my partner inhales the rest, heh!

This is a great idea...I never thought of cutting a chicken in half. there are usually just the two of us. I wonder if the butcher could do that before freezing? I get my chickens from a local pastured chicken guy who sends them to a processing place locally.

The 425 oven/crockpot is another great idea I will try. I have a freezer full of the big buggers and plan to keep trying until I get it right.

Hmmmmm......

Oops forgot to add - had 15 carbs yesterday. 2 week Carb Challenge average is 21.

sparky1946
09-17-2010, 10:22 AM
Speaking of the carb challenge. I do not notice a greater/faster weight loss doing this? Does anyone else? I do not think I would have lost anything without my already incorporated fast days. I like to think of them as "rest" days as that's how I feel when I am doing them.

I am getting kinda nervous about hitting the mid 150s. What will I try then? I have done intermittent fasting, and I have done VLC. Which got me 1.3 to 2 lbs a week. I am OK with that but what if that stops as it always has in the past. My annoyingly unhelpful DH will tell me that I am setting myself up to stall.

Just had to talk to somebody (you guys) about it....

I do have my Carb Doc appointment on the 27th, so maybe my numbers will look good and that will be enough to keep me from getting discouraged.

Mikkijoe
09-17-2010, 11:26 AM
[QUOTE=MaddieD;3484314]Brown...if you like sour cream and want to go dairy-free...get some plain soy yogurt, put it in a sieve and let it sit over a bowl for 3-4 hours in the fridge. A lot of the whey (liquid) will seep out so the consistency is even thicker than sour cream. We do that but with almond milk ( we have allerigies to dairy and soy here so I make almond milk yogurt)...add some herbs and you are good to go!
QUOTE]

NOT to be a Primal police, but just out of awareness, if you are wanting to follow the PB as written you would not eat any soy product. Soy is not allowed, plus almost all soy products are uber processed. Now I say this just for awareness, if you have chosen to have these things in your diet that is great, and I make no judgement, we all have our own plans, BUT I did want to throw that out there.

MaddieD
09-17-2010, 12:43 PM
[QUOTE=MaddieD;3484314]Brown...if you like sour cream and want to go dairy-free...get some plain soy yogurt, put it in a sieve and let it sit over a bowl for 3-4 hours in the fridge. A lot of the whey (liquid) will seep out so the consistency is even thicker than sour cream. We do that but with almond milk ( we have allerigies to dairy and soy here so I make almond milk yogurt)...add some herbs and you are good to go!
QUOTE]

NOT to be a Primal police, but just out of awareness, if you are wanting to follow the PB as written you would not eat any soy product. Soy is not allowed, plus almost all soy products are uber processed. Now I say this just for awareness, if you have chosen to have these things in your diet that is great, and I make no judgement, we all have our own plans, BUT I did want to throw that out there.

I forgot about no soy. I don't have the allergy but I refuse to eat any soy because most of it is genetically modified and it is really bad for women. My mom had a breast lump removed (benign) and the specialist told her to stay away from ALL soy...super bad for messing with hormones. But then again...the soy industry is up there with some of the other food industries who relentlessly promote their product. To each his own! ;)

walking2lose
09-17-2010, 04:32 PM
QUOTE]

I was thinking the exact same thing when I read this - soy isn't primal at all (hormonal nightmare, legume, and as you said the processing). I ate a lot of soy at one point in my life but don't even touch it anymore.

sparky1946
09-17-2010, 08:59 PM
Just checking in...

I had 25 carbs today (ate like a horse) so my 2 week carb challenge average is 21. Still in ketosis for whatever that is worth.

Hope everyone has a great (relaxing) weekend!

chewy
09-18-2010, 12:11 AM
Speaking of the carb challenge. I do not notice a greater/faster weight loss doing this? Does anyone else? I do not think I would have lost anything without my already incorporated fast days. I like to think of them as "rest" days as that's how I feel when I am doing them.

I am getting kinda nervous about hitting the mid 150s. What will I try then? I have done intermittent fasting, and I have done VLC. Which got me 1.3 to 2 lbs a week. I am OK with that but what if that stops as it always has in the past. My annoyingly unhelpful DH will tell me that I am setting myself up to stall.

Just had to talk to somebody (you guys) about it....

Have you been fasting with water only? If so, maybe try juice fasting, so you would still get "fed" but it frees up your digestive system from having to work on digesting food, giving it more energy to burn the fat...

I found watermelon rind (skin and whites with fresh lemon and cayenne pepper (optional) great nutrition wise.

chewy
09-18-2010, 12:14 AM
No more soy for me either, what about Greek Yogurt or the raw organic yogurt?

sparky1946
09-18-2010, 08:33 AM
Have you been fasting with water only? If so, maybe try juice fasting, so you would still get "fed" but it frees up your digestive system from having to work on digesting food, giving it more energy to burn the fat...

I found watermelon rind (skin and whites with fresh lemon and cayenne pepper (optional) great nutrition wise.

Thanks chewy,

I have actually tried many ways of fasting over the last 30 years or so. I find water fasting keeps me going longer without cravings. Since I only do it for 24-36 hours. I could try a longer juice fast as a way to get going again, if I stall.

I do enjoy a small glass of wine and a tiny piece of chocolate for dessert each night I am not fasting. I could eliminate these "small" indulgences as well. I really don't need them, just enjoy them as a little reward for doing well that day.

I could also walk twice a day. We have a treadmill, that bores me to tears, but I tried walking barefoot on it, just to try to get my feet used to the sensation. It definitely feels different and my calves were talking to me the next day. Barefooting is big on MDA.

Brown: You are just waiting for me to get to 155. You are so sweet. lol

srmb60
09-18-2010, 10:31 AM
Good morning!

This is our busiest weekend of the year. We've already helped set up the church for a wedding, gone to the rehearsal dinner. Ran a family-member-in-need errand. Got up early to prep shish kabob fixin's. Walked for our primal breakfast. DH's gone to the church to set up his kitchen.
I'll go early for the wedding and see what he needs help with and after the actual service, I think I'm serving at the buffet.
Then ... when the happy couple are truly hitched and fed ... we're off to DH's baseball party.
Tomorrow after church and before family-member-in-need needs us again ... we're free ... probably free to nap.

Yesterday I had a couple of lite beers and pie with ice cream. I can stay primal at the wedding dinner especially if I never get to sit down with a plate. But the ball party ... hmmm ... I'm thinkin' that by then a rum and coke will be fab!

CJZee
09-19-2010, 09:07 AM
Well, this morning for the fifth straight day, I am exactly 202. Not 202.2 or 201.8, but 202. I'm not crying about this, because I was 207 just a couple of weeks ago, but still ... I am on this two-week challenge and it's time to go DOWN!

So, I'm going to try lowering my calories a little I think.

srmb60
09-20-2010, 06:54 AM
Good morning my dears!

Well, what a weekend! Busy, not very healthy but rewarding ... I walked into church yesterday and was waylaid by a gal who wants to borrow my book. A couple of months ago she thought it was a terrible idea but now she's interested in stopping belly bloat. After the service a very business-like woman asked if we could get together and have a chat about what I'm doing health-wise. I didn't get as far as the door before another woman was telling me they'd been talking about asking me to speak at the ladies coffee hour!
Yikes!

Do you think I could come up with 15 or so minutes and answer questions? And still make it sound like a good idea? I wonder if they'll let me bring the snack ;)

CJZee
09-20-2010, 07:38 AM
Good morning my dears!

Well, what a weekend! Busy, not very healthy but rewarding ... I walked into church yesterday and was waylaid by a gal who wants to borrow my book. A couple of months ago she thought it was a terrible idea but now she's interested in stopping belly bloat. After the service a very business-like woman asked if we could get together and have a chat about what I'm doing health-wise. I didn't get as far as the door before another woman was telling me they'd been talking about asking me to speak at the ladies coffee hour!
Yikes!

Do you think I could come up with 15 or so minutes and answer questions? And still make it sound like a good idea? I wonder if they'll let me bring the snack ;)

This is fabulous! You could go on a speaking tour and do a cookbook and start a personal website. Then I can say "I knew her when ... " Seriously, it is so nice that you are helping people get on the right track and you're such a good role model with your compact and muscular new body. Plus, being a nurse, you have the credentials ... the whole package.

wildviolets
09-20-2010, 07:38 AM
Susan, that is so cool! You are definitely leading by example huh?!

sparky1946
09-20-2010, 08:03 AM
Well, just finished the challenge and I did not quite make it to 159. I am continuing my ifing until I see 159, hopefully tomorrow. The results were I lost 4.2 lbs. in comparison to 2.4 the two weeks prior to the challenge. I average 25 carbs a day as opposed to 20. I would not want to be on this forever as my veggie and fruit intake really suffered. I love meat but need a little more zing in my eating.

CJZee
09-20-2010, 11:30 AM
Yay! 201.6 this morning! I'm going to continue on the challenge until Thursday when I leave on my trip.

Mikkijoe
09-20-2010, 11:46 AM
Back from my weekend, at fair but not great. Had fries twice, and a roll......WOW ya know what, I am going to say I did WELL! No sugar crap, left that on the tables, no high processed crap, left that as well. Left the risotta on the plate, left the lemon cake, the yogurt and cereals, all the crap.

I did notice that after having a little wheat in the roll, and the starch from the fries I was immediatly conjested after each of those items!

Ilene
09-20-2010, 12:24 PM
Great going girls!!

Susan, you're famous now :lol: all those nay sayers pfft to them! :lol:

I was up only 1# this morning, so that means my weekend was good :D ... So now to keep this momentum going ...

Running today at 3pm and the gym tonight :strong: ... all is good :D

sacha
09-20-2010, 02:14 PM
Hey I'm glad to see this.

I've been eating Paleo for several weeks now. I really like it. My slip-ups were always related to carbs and cheese (I could live without sugar) and going Paleo has really made a difference.

I *feel* better. Sooo much better.

sacha
09-20-2010, 02:23 PM
Okay so today's weigh in is 132, I think a bit of salt and TOM, who knows

Today's eats...

B: Leftover beef roast thick slice, about 2 cups broccoli, egg & egg whites with evoo
S: Lara bar
L: Ground turkey with steamed green beans and evoo
D: Beef stir fry (with sprouts, onions, carrot, celery, egg), sesame oil

srmb60
09-20-2010, 04:24 PM
Hi Sacha!

I have roast beef in the oven with onion and garlic. Went to have a nap and woke to the most glorious smell!

Ilene
09-20-2010, 05:40 PM
Hey :wave:

Food:

IF till 10:30
Yogurt, raspberries, walnuts
pork spare ribs and cauliflower
egg drop soup (http://www.foodrenegade.com/egg-drop-soup/?ref=nf) as a snack
chicken thighs, egg drop soup, romaine lettuce with ceasor dressing and parm cheese

walking2lose
09-20-2010, 06:30 PM
Hi everyone and welcome Sacha!

I have barely eaten today because all I had to take to work was a hunk of cheese and 2 hard boiled eggs. I did have coffee with cream for breakfast. I'm getting ready to make grass fed hamburger patties, which I'll eat with a salad.

Last week I started a bad habit (well, night eating has always been a habit for me, but not for this particular "dessert") -- whipped cream with dark chocolate chips. I need to stop eating that every night!

I'm not going to weigh for a couple days - TOM right now, a little bloated, plus the chocolate chips last week. I need to regroup just a bit.

Glad to hear everyone is having a primal day!

srmb60
09-21-2010, 05:11 AM
Back to work for me today. Into the bag go my hardboiled eggs. Don't leave home without them!

MaddieD
09-21-2010, 07:40 AM
Today is my weigh-in day and I am seriously bummed. I had a perfect week and I am only down .6 :( A loss is a loss but stilll ONLY .6 I was hoping for at least 1.5 or 2. I suppose I can`t complain though...I`ve lost 9.8 lbs in 4 weeks. I did have coffee rather than tea last week so maybe my body didn`t like that...who knows.

Welcome Sacha! Dumb question...what is evoo. :)

MaddieD
09-21-2010, 08:00 AM
Back again. Took a shower and decided to weigh in again...now it is showing 209.8 Almost a pound so I feel a bit better...

sparky1946
09-21-2010, 09:09 AM
I didn't eat until dinner last night. Pork roast! Haven't had that in years as always thought it was too fatty. It was so good.

But....I still do not weigh 159. Doesn't my body know how much these under xxx milestones mean to to me? When I fast again I will probably drop 2 pounds. But I really could use the one pounder today.

Damn..... maybe I should take a shower...lol

I usually weigh right when I get up and then have my coffee. I need my coffee. I cannot wait till after a shower.

Woe is me...

MaddieD
09-21-2010, 11:05 AM
[QUOTE=sparky1946;3489109]

Damn..... maybe I should take a shower...lol

QUOTE]

I'm thinking 4 or 5 showers a day and I should be down some serious weight... ;)

Ilene
09-21-2010, 11:44 AM
I'm thinking 4 or 5 showers a day and I should be down some serious weight... ;) HOT shower, maybe it'll MELT the fat :rofl:

I weighed exactly the same as yesterday :( ...

CJZee
09-21-2010, 12:04 PM
Dumb question...what is evoo. :)
It's not dumb ... everytime I see "evoo" it reminds me of "voodoo" haha. But it stands for "extra virgin olive oil". CJ

Mikkijoe
09-21-2010, 12:07 PM
Alright girls, I am about to come pay you a visit and steal your scales while you are in the shower!

Its just a silly number....a number that really says nothing about who YOU are! And when talking about 3-4 pounds it does not even guage your health! right? BUT it starts out your day on an up note or a down note....dependant upon that silly number. Give yourself a break. Know your plan, plug along, give yourself grace for special events or uncontrollable menus, and work your plan. In the BIG picture is where you will be rewarded with results, the every month, or even every 2 weeks. Plus measurements are a huge encouragement too, after all it is far more important that body mass (inches) is gone over a number on the scale that can be effected by water, salt, sleep, MSG, Vitamin D, hormones, stress, mechanical issues, etc.

OK OK getting off my soap box, hope none of you shoot me after you get out of your seventh shower and read this!

Mikkijoe
09-21-2010, 12:14 PM
Sunday food:
Chinese Buffet at 11am
mock tenderloins cooked with swiss chard and sausage, white RICE with pesto (MOCK means they look it but sure are tough, hense the reason we cooked it with greans and sausage. And rice......well I had fresh basil to make pesto out of, so I took the plunge and made rice, and I ate it too!...but better choice than pasta!)

Monday foods:
IF from 7pm Sunday till 6pm Monday with the exception of coffee, tea, and one square of 87% choc.
Dinner, 2 3 ounce burger patties, 2 beef hot dogs, mayo and mustard and onion slices
Snack--attempt at pudding---daughter took cream and coconut milk heated it, added eggs and egg yolks to thicken, added vanilla and let cool...problem is she did not wait for instruction on adding the eggs and they scrambled a little, but it tasted cook, we topped it with fresh blueberries and raspberries we picked Sunday, and shredded coconut and almond meal...ohhhh and a square of chocolate grated. It hit the spot, but I think we will just stick to the cold cream or coconut milk next time!

so yesterday was 1451 cals, 21 carbs, 78 protien and 115 fat. I am hoping the IF and then burst of fat can help kick start this stupid disfunctional system!

sparky1946
09-21-2010, 01:02 PM
You are right MikkiJoe...
Intellectually, I am with you, emotionally I need these mini challenges:
(Moved to signature)

just little goals

PS: I have lost 7 inches off my waist since starting primal...I track a lot of things. What do they say: You can't change what you don't measure? I am looking for trends, damn-it, trends. lol.

sparky1946
09-21-2010, 01:25 PM
Also, I want to impress on myself that if I am never in the 170s and 160s again, I will be so much healthier. If I never get to 149, it is not the reason to give up and let myself go back up to 176 and beyond. I would have achieved 2 goals and lost over 10% of my bodyweight which is supposed to be good health wise. My SIL has lost 20 pounds and is stuck and if he gives up, which he always has in the past, he will move up to 300 plus pounds again.

I want him to be happy at the 20 pounds loss and focus on maintaining until he can try again. Not to gain it all back till he can try again and lose the same pounds. So I am saying that I am delighted at 160 but I will be over the moon to be in the 150s again.

I just needed to whine...

walking2lose
09-21-2010, 07:43 PM
Alright girls, I am about to come pay you a visit and steal your scales while you are in the shower!

Its just a silly number....a number that really says nothing about who YOU are! And when talking about 3-4 pounds it does not even guage your health! right? BUT it starts out your day on an up note or a down note....dependant upon that silly number. Give yourself a break. Know your plan, plug along, give yourself grace for special events or uncontrollable menus, and work your plan. In the BIG picture is where you will be rewarded with results, the every month, or even every 2 weeks. Plus measurements are a huge encouragement too, after all it is far more important that body mass (inches) is gone over a number on the scale that can be effected by water, salt, sleep, MSG, Vitamin D, hormones, stress, mechanical issues, etc.

OK OK getting off my soap box, hope none of you shoot me after you get out of your seventh shower and read this!

When are we going to get a "like" button already??

chewy
09-21-2010, 10:10 PM
I am still here in! I caught a cold! Yuck!

It began Saturday, I had a cough, Sunday was horrible but I still went to work and stayed on plan. I was off work yesterday and today, I did a fast to reduce my body having to digest so it could focus on healing and it worked!
All I ate today was a low carb CJ burger, I forgot to ask for no ketchup, oh well, I did not get a sugar spike most of the ketchup stuck to the paper anyways.

I killed my cold with inhaled steam from oregano in boiled water, lots of lemon water and grapefruit juice, and Apple Cider Vinegar, and REST! I slept in bed 12 hours times 2 days 24 hours bed rest for me!

I am going back to work tomorrow, and I did finally make these today

http://blog.yourlighterside.com/2009/05/gluten-free-low-carb-buns-aka-oopsie.html

and they came out pretty good!!

I also discovered a ZERO carb website forum...

I am pondering it for now, the basics are meat, fat and dairy. Lots of weight loss and energy galore but I am still needing to use up some stuff before I mosey on over.

Maybe I will start a new zero carb thread...or anybody feel free to do one as well!

We have been going from 50-100 a day to 30 to 20 a day, taking it down a notch can help shake things up, maybe?

The new forum I found is awesome, but strict so if anybody wants to discuss it, pm me and we can start our own thang on the BFC!

sparky1946
09-22-2010, 09:25 AM
Do you folks in Canada get the Biggest Loser show? That and Dancing with the Stars, are my too guilty pleasures with TV. It is kind of amazing how everyone in the beginning is fighting to get on the show and then after the first workout they are crying and puking and wanting to go home.

But I really love cheering them on and watching the amazing transformations as they lose weight. I have read that the actual regimen is hush, hush, and it may involve more that what we see. Also, I am kind of put off by the Jennie-0 etc. commercials. I also would never try to do what they do at home or the gym without a medic lol. Anyway, it is amazing to watch, especially with some of the youngest and oldest contestants.

I did a carb refeed yesterday just to try to shake things up. I do not feel any ill effects yet.

CJZee
09-22-2010, 09:30 AM
Hi everyone ... I'm off for a midwestern trip tomorrow so unless I have internet access I probably won't be posting for awhile. I'm still on the "challenge" and am happy to say I am now 200! My goal was to get to 199 before this trip and I'm happy I'm so close.

Thanks to Sparky for starting the challenge! It really helped me focus.

The sad/bad news is my doctor wants me to go on a low-carb/low-fat diet/very-low calorie diet to get my cholesterol down (1000-1200 calories/day).

I have always had high cholesterol (255), but my HDL is 71 and my triglycerides are 57 and my LDL pattern is A (the good pattern) so I was hoping he would be happy but he's not.

The low-carb part will not be a problem of course, but the low-fat part (you know - the skinless chicken breasts) is upsetting because of all the reading I have been doing saying good fats are good for you. And everything I have been reading about saturated fat is that it's "good" if not mixed with carbs. Also, I know I can stick with the higher fat diet and have been successful in getting almost 90 pounds off with it.

Many of you know the delicate mental balance of eating well day-after-day without binging and without mindless eating. It is so easy to get off the track emotionally and I have been doing well now for 1.5 years.

I am also scared to death of lowering my metabolism. I expressed these concerns to him, and he just kept saying "You don't have to stay on this for life." But the whole point of a way of eating IS to stay on it for life, isn't it???? And once your metabolism is lowered, I don't know if you can get it back up so you can eat normal quantities of food.

I am so upset, I am not sure what I'm going to do. He does want me to add more soluble fiber and I will do that. Thoughts? Advice? I am otherwise very healthy but a little hypothyroid.

sparky1946
09-22-2010, 10:08 AM
I think I just felt my blood pressure go up.

I get so mad at the medical establishment. He should be thrilled with your weightloss and your good numbers. I have read so much about cholesterol that I couldn't begin to site where and when. I just know that I will be facing the same thing come my doctor's appointment next week. I am going to a low-carb fan doc and I hope his views on my always high cholesterol (245) with good Triglycerides and great HDL and the Type A LDLs will not send him to his prescription pad. THE ONLY reason I want to get my LDL down is to get those *******s off my back as I do not believe the link between heart disease and cholesterol. I do believe the link between inflammation and a whole lot of diseases. That's what I am worried about. That could be caused by leaky gut and carb intolerance.

Sorry about my language but I get so mad. Why do we have to educate the medical community?? Why don't they take enough pride in their jobs to at least do some of the research needed. "If you aren't up on the latest nutritional findings then give a referral that is." Low-Carb is almost mainstream. Coconut oil is practically prescribed.

I asked my husband after I get a round of tests back, why do I have to remember to tell the doc to test my CRP or my lpA etc. If those numbers were high why wouldn't he want to check them. No, he forgets, and I assume they are included. And my old doc is supposed to be one of the best in the country.

I get so mad.....:devil:

sparky1946
09-22-2010, 10:23 AM
I guess I am going to have to write the tests that need to be included on the palm of my hand ala Sarah Palin.

What is it about white coats that make us feel intimidated? :?:

MaddieD
09-22-2010, 10:55 AM
I think I just felt my blood pressure go up.

I get so mad at the medical establishment. He should be thrilled with your weightloss and your good numbers. I have read so much about cholesterol that I couldn't begin to site where and when. I just know that I will be facing the same thing come my doctor's appointment next week. I am going to a low-carb fan doc and I hope his views on my always high cholesterol (245) with good Triglycerides and great HDL and the Type A LDLs will not send him to his prescription pad. THE ONLY reason I want to get my LDL down is to get those *******s off my back as I do not believe the link between heart disease and cholesterol. I do believe the link between inflammation and a whole lot of diseases. That's what I am worried about. That could be caused by leaky gut and carb intolerance.

Sorry about my language but I get so mad. Why do we have to educate the medical community?? Why don't they take enough pride in their jobs to at least do some of the research needed. "If you aren't up on the latest nutritional findings then give a referral that is." Low-Carb is almost mainstream. Coconut oil is practically prescribed.

I asked my husband after I get a round of tests back, why do I have to remember to tell the doc to test my CRP or my lpA etc. If those numbers were high why wouldn't he want to check them. No, he forgets, and I assume they are included. And my old doc is supposed to be one of the best in the country.

I get so mad.....:devil:

That's why I have a conventional doctor for the nasty things (like ordering blood tests,referrals and anti-biotics for the major infections) and a naturopathic doctor for everything else. I see her 6-8 times a year and my conventional doctor once or twice. It was my holistic nutritionist who diagnosed my candida and hypoglycemia...as my conventional doctor said " my numbers weren't that bad"...maybe not for someone else...but for me YEAH they ARE! I'm with ya Sparky!!

Thanks for the cyber smack Mikkiejoe! Logically I know what you are saying but that bloody number still plays emotional havoc with my life. I do notice that clothes are looser and my blood pressure is down 8 points from my last appointment so yes...I should be thrilled about my progress in just a month. Problem is.....I want to see major results every week and life ain't like that.

Off to do my Nordictrack

Mikkijoe
09-22-2010, 11:46 AM
My bad Chol is WAY down in 6 weeks, and my good is UP.......STUPID arse doctors

And thats all Im gunna say about that

sparky1946
09-22-2010, 12:18 PM
My bad Chol is WAY down in 6 weeks, and my good is UP.......STUPID arse doctors

And thats all Im gunna say about that

Don't you dare stop talking/posting. :hug: We need a voice of sanity here. You and Susan and (formerly Bob) keep us on the straight and narrow.

I would be interested in your numbers, if you don't mind. I have been thin with higher cholesterol and I have been my heaviest with about the same numbers so I am so anxious to see results this next time after being primal for a couple months. Even though I do not believe the cholesterol propaganda, I still am curious about how everything ties together. (Or Not)

I'm svelting!
09-22-2010, 01:04 PM
... lurker popping in ...

I'm on Ideal Protein and will be moving to Primal at some point. Because of this board, I'm also following Mark's Daily Apple. In there, I found links to a cardiologist who takes a very primal approach to heart health and cholesterol levels. You might find information about medical studies on his blog / site to open up conversations with your docs.

heartscanblog [dot] blogspot [dot] com

Here's one I've bookmarked on Vitamin D & HDL (http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/2008/08/vitamin-d-and-hdl.html)

sparky1946
09-22-2010, 01:33 PM
I'm Svelting,

This guy looks cool...:cool:

chewy
09-22-2010, 11:26 PM
Hi everyone ... I'm off for a midwestern trip tomorrow so unless I have internet access I probably won't be posting for awhile. I'm still on the "challenge" and am happy to say I am now 200! My goal was to get to 199 before this trip and I'm happy I'm so close.

Thanks to Sparky for starting the challenge! It really helped me focus.

The sad/bad news is my doctor wants me to go on a low-carb/low-fat diet/very-low calorie diet to get my cholesterol down (1000-1200 calories/day).

I have always had high cholesterol (255), but my HDL is 71 and my triglycerides are 57 and my LDL pattern is A (the good pattern) so I was hoping he would be happy but he's not.

The low-carb part will not be a problem of course, but the low-fat part (you know - the skinless chicken breasts) is upsetting because of all the reading I have been doing saying good fats are good for you. And everything I have been reading about saturated fat is that it's "good" if not mixed with carbs. Also, I know I can stick with the higher fat diet and have been successful in getting almost 90 pounds off with it.

Many of you know the delicate mental balance of eating well day-after-day without binging and without mindless eating. It is so easy to get off the track emotionally and I have been doing well now for 1.5 years.

I am also scared to death of lowering my metabolism. I expressed these concerns to him, and he just kept saying "You don't have to stay on this for life." But the whole point of a way of eating IS to stay on it for life, isn't it???? And once your metabolism is lowered, I don't know if you can get it back up so you can eat normal quantities of food.

I am so upset, I am not sure what I'm going to do. He does want me to add more soluble fiber and I will do that. Thoughts? Advice? I am otherwise very healthy but a little hypothyroid.

As you lose more weight you will be good health wise.

Try to listen to your body and watch sodium, I really would not be too concerned by your Dr. and I would get a 2nd opinion from a different Doctor if it bothered me so much.

chewy
09-23-2010, 01:31 AM
Brown,I pmed you, the recipies are pretty good look under zeroing in on either meat or dairy, that is all they do over there for the most part, LOL!

srmb60
09-23-2010, 04:57 AM
Hi I'm svelting!

If I don't have cheese in the house, I don't miss it. If it is here ... I just mow down! I do like my butter and cream though.

Went for a nice big long walk yesterday and used my bands to exercise arms.

MaddieD
09-23-2010, 08:32 AM
Welcome I'm svelting! So do we have to have another 10+ pages of posts before you pop back in? Hope not! ;)

Yes sparky we get the Biggest Loser here. I watched it faithfully the first couple of years... the last year I watched it had the older blonde won it as a surprise ending...the former model was in the lead-can't remember names sorry! I'm with whoever said they hate it now with the product placements etc. And the finale used to drive me nuts...2 hours to get to weigh in?! ugh!!

I don't think I could ever do a zero carb diet. I love my veggies too much! Right now I average 50-79 carbs a day and I am perfectly happy with that. I can eat this way for the rest of my life and I think that's what is most important to me at this point. Might change in the future though...who's to say.

Off to clear out the basement and get rid of old toys,clothes and junk. So my daily lifting requirement...check. :)

sparky1946
09-23-2010, 09:13 AM
Last night I really wanted something sweet. So I had a 1/4 c. of raisins and a 1/4 cup of almonds. This morning I have a heck of a belly ache. I am bloated and gained 2 lbs!

I haven't had any dried fruit or nuts through this whole primal thing. I ate good all day so I do not know what started the craving. I don't think I mentioned before that I used to have this doubling over, reminiscent of labor pain intensity, pain right under my belly button. The first time it happened was in 1971 and my Dr. gave me Librium. He thought I was nuts. I had three little kids under the age of 4 so I probably was a little nuts.

I have had this pain every few years maybe once or twice a year. I have found no one who was able to diagnose it and was told just to live with it as it happens so rarely. Well it is back with raisins and/or almonds. I kind of thought there was a gluten plus fat connection.

I usually take an Excedrin to blunt the pain. I once was prescribed Prilosec sp?. So I took one of those this am.

I have the grandson today. I wonder what he will think of me rolling around on the floor.

Gosh it hurts. :cry:

Mikkijoe
09-23-2010, 11:56 AM
Hey there!

Trying to find that sweet spot, so I am going back to tracking my intake on a regular basis. I am aiming for 1700-2000 cal, 50-75 carb, and 100-130 protien. But this is what I have a hard time wrapping my noodle around....If I aim for the lower end of thos numbers I have to get in 122 grams of fat to reach 1700 cals........That just blows my mind. So many years of brainwashing I guess.

BUT I really want a more consistant steady pace of weight loss, and I should have it at my size, so I need to find that happy spot. OH and I did tell my body to cooperate.

Cholesterol: I dont have the break down of my numbers here at work, but I had them taken 3 weeks before I started PB, and then last week (I have been on PB 6 weeks now) I went from 278 to 242. The doctor was very impressed, I am on NO medication or fish oils or anything. Of course the doc was very sceptical of PB as well.....But I dont go to that one often just for yearly insurance purposes. My favorite doctor is a SDA vegetarian, but he listens to his patients, he does not diagnose according to what is on paper, but uses lab results to HELP guide his diagnoses. He is the one who caught asparatame poisoning with my husb (diet pepsi) and had him walking without the cane in 3 weeks (arthristis in hip, and asparatame hyped up the actual pain) DH has since has a hip replacement but will never drink diet pepsi again, and he was hooked on it for 30 years.

Anyway dr Veg says, get off processed, get off sugar, get off yeast, get pure real foods and high quality meats..........hmm sound familiar? Cracks me up because traditional vegetarians eat so much processed foods! He doesnt, but so many do have the soy this and the soy that........soy is not meat, why would you make it into meat, if you dont want to eat meat then dont substitute it!

Mikkijoe
09-23-2010, 11:57 AM
Man that redflame chick really gets wordy and off topic!

Mikkijoe
09-23-2010, 03:18 PM
Whoa Brown........I was not condeming all vegetarians. I was simply stating that I did not understand why some who chose vegetarianism for health reason feel that it is healthy to have the highly processed fake meats.......I just dont get that! Relax, more than half of my close friends are vegetarians, and the majority of the other half only eat chicken and maybe beef, never pork (religious 'habit' from thier upbringing and parents and grandparent that felt pork and seafood were not to be touched)

If anything I was dogging the processed crap......and I THINK we are all in agreement with that.

I also feel that 'substitute' foods can sabatoge your plan. That is my personal belief and experience.

sparky1946
09-24-2010, 10:15 AM
Gained a pound over the raisin episode and was in bed with a heating pad on my belly all day. Has anyone had a reaction to dried fruit? My ears are a little plugged today as well. I think I vaguely remember something about sulfur??

Very, very strange.

Anywho, back in the saddle today.

Am going to try this recipe (http://thisprimallife.com/2009/09/primal-cheddar-jalepeno-biscuit-rounds-recipe/), hungry for some biscuits. (Results: Mine were a little runnier so added about 1/4 c more almond meal and baked another 5 minutes. I used white cheddar so mine did not look as pretty. These were very tasty. I think I would like them to be thicker so that one could crack them open and put butter inside. Would be very acceptable with a primal chili...)

Mikkijoe
09-24-2010, 03:46 PM
Well 6 weeks on PB, I have lost 12, DH has lost 20, and 14 yr old daughter has lost 20. WOW Im impressed. 18 yr old son has lost a little, but he is only eating like 60% primal (sandwich for work, occational Coke, or starbursts)

Of course I wanted to be at the 20 pound mark, and I am not and disappointed, but even 2 pounds a week is good for me, very good for me.

Ilene
09-24-2010, 04:42 PM
Well 6 weeks on PB, I have lost 12, DH has lost 20, and 14 yr old daughter has lost 20. WOW Im impressed. 18 yr old son has lost a little, but he is only eating like 60% primal (sandwich for work, occational Coke, or starbursts)

Of course I wanted to be at the 20 pound mark, and I am not and disappointed, but even 2 pounds a week is good for me, very good for me.Wow very cool congrats to everyone :bravo:

sparky1946
09-24-2010, 04:53 PM
Well 6 weeks on PB, I have lost 12.

Are you ever going to change your numbers in your signature?
:cheer:
Yeah for you and your family!!

I'm svelting!
09-24-2010, 07:44 PM
:thanks: for the welcome Sparky, Susan and Maddie. I hope I got everyone.

Maddie I'm not sure when I'll be jumping in as a full-timer; I do know it's a "when" not an "if." :) I've got another 30 lbs of fat I'd like to burn and my current program is working well for me. I could continue and lose the 30 in about 2-2.5 months, or switch to primal and lose the 30 in 2 months or more. My biggest considerations about it are eating so little fat in the cool/cold/winter weather and eating, what is to me, a large amount of artificial sweetener (sucralose and acesulfame K).

sparky1946
09-25-2010, 10:44 AM
fMy biggest considerations about it are eating so little fat in the cool/cold/winter weather and eating, what is to me, a large amount of artificial sweetener (sucralose and acesulfame K).

I'm svelting,

My SIL is going through the same thing. He cannot afford the food but his mother sends the stuff to him. I read some of the labels and saw the artificial stuff plus a lot of soy. My advice to him was to do what ever it takes to get the weight off. But then he needs to PLAN his transition and I think primal fits very well as you must agree.

Hope to see you here often and good-luck with the 30 pounds of fat. That's me too.

Are you really 6'2"?? ;)

God I wish....

wildviolets
09-25-2010, 11:12 AM
Sandy,
Yesterday I went to Costcos (after not sleeping much the night before) and I was hungry so I bought a huge bag of this nut/fruit combo that I love. Well I ate a good bit in the car (terrible I know but I was very tired and grouchy and it made me feel better).

Well a few hours later I got the mother of all headaches. It's like I had an allergic reaction to this stuff. My sinus' (sp?) swelled and no pain reliever would work. Also I've had bad post nasal drip. I've been using my neti pot and trying not to eat so as to give my stomach a break. It's a little better today but it's still there.

I think this happened to me before with this particular fruit/nut combo. I must remember this and never eat the stuff again.

What's the deal with the leaky gut? Do you have it? You've posted something else that seemed similar to my situation but I can't remember what it was.

Anyway, just thought you'd find that interesting. More data.....

sparky1946
09-25-2010, 12:34 PM
wildviolets,

I have been to many kinds of docs, even to the emergency room once, because the pain is so severe. It is always in the same location, so it is kind of like I have a weak spot. Leaky gut is the term a ND said that might be the cause. I have had scopes stuck down my throat and things stuck up the other end and no one sees anything not even signs of gluten intolerance. Then they look at me funny and send me on my way. I feel like a hypochondriac. If it happened more than once or twice a year, I would raise a fuss. But as it is, I am just trying to figure it out on my own. I really would like a heavy duty pain killer to take so that I could function. I really get that desperate.

I was hoping this diet would help and maybe it will as long as I don't eat raisens and almonds.:barf:

What has been your experiences?

I'm svelting!
09-25-2010, 02:31 PM
My SIL is going through the same thing. He cannot afford the food but his mother sends the stuff to him. I read some of the labels and saw the artificial stuff plus a lot of soy. My advice to him was to do what ever it takes to get the weight off. But then he needs to PLAN his transition and I think primal fits very well as you must agree.

Hope to see you here often and good-luck with the 30 pounds of fat. That's me too.

Are you really 6'2"?? ;)

God I wish....
Thanks Sandy. I definitely agree that the PB way of eating is the way to go. As for your SIL, if he's willing to venture into 3fatchicks, the IP forum has a thread with suggestions of alternative equivalent products and food that cost far less than the official products.

Ideal Protein has a transitioning strategy to maintenance. Phase 2 adds more real food, and Phase 3 is intended to stimulate the pancreas in a controlled way. I'll probably follow that as designed, though minimizing grains intake in Phase 3, and then move to PB WoE. I feel so good not having sugar, wheat and other grains. It's hard to imagine how much better I'll feel without the soy and the artificial sweeteners. One step at a time.

Well, I'm not exactly 6'2", I'm short of that by a 1/4". :D Like everything else, being this height has its advantages and disadvantages. :shrug:

Let's go melt the last 30!

sparky1946
09-25-2010, 04:46 PM
Ideal Protein has a transitioning strategy to maintenance. Phase 2 adds more real food, and Phase 3 is intended to stimulate the pancreas in a controlled way. I'll probably follow that as designed, though minimizing grains intake in Phase 3, and then move to PB WoE. I feel so good not having sugar, wheat and other grains. It's hard to imagine how much better I'll fee without the soy and the artificial sweeteners. One step at a time.

It is great that there is a built-in transition plan. I did not realize this. (MIL lecturing SIL :()

I am also reading "The Perfect Diet" (http://perfecthealthdiet.com). Very close to primal but it allows, even encourages, some starches like taro, sweet and WHITE potatoes, and white rice (not brown). Written by a couple astro-physicist types with lots of references, I am looking for this for my hubby (he doesn't need to lose weight) as he is feeling very deprived without bread, pasta, rice and potatoes. Even with these small inclusions, the PD way of eating is way better than SAD.

I know that Mark on MDA has evolved and will probably continue to find out new things and have new suggestions. I will just have to see if I gain weight or have tummy aches adding in anything like rice.

But that is way down the road. Here's to getting those last 30 pounds off:hat:

wildviolets
09-25-2010, 07:29 PM
Hi Sandy,
I used to have a bad pain above my bellybutton and it would hurt for a few days and then go away. I used to take pepcid complete twice a day for stomach problems for almost a year. I also had a endoscope and they didn't find anything.

Eating this way (PB) has GREATLY helped my migraines and stomach problems. I can't tell you the last time I've taken medicine for my stomach. And my migraines are much better, except for this last time and around my period.

I went to a naturopath last year who was great but expensive. She said that though I might not be allergic to many foods (like grains) I may have an intolerance to them and it weakens my immune system if i eat them too much. I think when I was in England I ate tons of grains and it just wreaked havoc on my system.

I would write more but my head really hurts. I hope it's gone tomorrow. NO MORE DRIED FRUIT AND NUTS! ;)

mizski
09-26-2010, 01:32 AM
Hi everyone! I just wanted to stop by and say hello. I can't believe I never saw this thread until now. I sometimes hang out on the Atkins boards as I started with whole foods Atkins last year. I would look for primal or paleo threads (even checked on the Whole Foods Lifestyle forum) and wondered why there weren't any paleo or primal folks posting. Now I've found you guys! :carrot:

I hope there is another thread for next month so I can join in. :)

p.s. I'm also over on MDA too.

srmb60
09-26-2010, 09:09 AM
Hi Mizski!

I'm not sure there is a perfect place for us. What do you guys think? Are we OK in carb counters or do you want to start our October thread some place else?

sparky1946
09-26-2010, 09:54 AM
I'm not sure there is a perfect place for us. What do you guys think? Are we OK in carb counters or do you want to start our October thread some place else?

Welcome Mizski!

I think carb counters is still OK. You are automagically reducing carbs when you give up wheat. And if you are ever tempted to have some bread, the carbs you would need to count may persuade you from taking that first bite. But then I might be one of the few that counts darn near everything.

I am OK with moving but still hope for Bob to come back and I wouldn't want him to not be able to find us. I know, I should just get on with my life LOL.

What a sap I am for information....:?:

walking2lose
09-26-2010, 11:15 AM
Hi all,

I agree with Sandy - I'm fine with our thread here, and I hope Bob returns. Have been wondering about him for a while now and hoping he is well. I haven't been chatting much this week (too busy), but it looks like lots of new folks and also lots of successes, so WELCOME and CONGRATS!

My eating and exercise have both been so-so this week. I had several nights of getting into the dark chocolate before bed (again), and my goal this week is to limit that. Although I don't have much of a sweet tooth since going primal, it seems to be another story during TOM. I also had a bad week sleep-wise and that definitely can affect my food choices too. Caught up on sleep this weekend and also got a good does of sunshine (vit D!!!!) yesterday, so I'm looking forward to a good primal week!

One aspect I need to work on is "play." Mark talks about it in the book, of course, and he's had several posts about it on MDA. My husband and I both teach, and once school starts, we tend to get very stuck in the work mode and weekends become time to catch up on sleep (much needed) but also to catch up on the tiresome necessities of life -- laundry, getting groceries, and cleaning. We are also finishing a mini remodel of two rooms, and DH is **** bent to finish. We spent all day yesterday working -- me cleaning and him painting. Ugh. I did relax a little outside and got in a good walk. Of course we feel better having all of this done, but I am feeling a strong need for more "play" and am realizing I need to PLAN this to make it happen.

So, next weekend we are having a local wine festival and some of our friends have expressed interest in going. I am going to make it happen by confirming with them today and buying the advance tickets. A few glasses of wine won't hurt me and being out on a beautiful fall day will do wonders for me... I'm looking forward to it!

What are you doing for "play" these days?

Happy primal Sunday to all!

Violet73
09-26-2010, 11:19 PM
Hey everyone! I've just recently learned about this WOE and it's basically what I'm doing...but I've just called it low-carb. I'm now giving up cheese and dairy altogether. Basically, I eat meats and veggies with a little fruit, nuts, and seeds. I've read alot online about this WOE and I really wanna start following it to a "T" now...or as close as I can.

I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis in 2008 but have had it much longer...just took a smart doc to figure it out. I've been gluten free now since March.

I've read where some of you believe you have leaky gut syndrome. I believe I do too and that the RA and leaky gut are connected. I had "IBS" which basically was a gluten intolerance.

I'm excited about joining this group :)

deetermined2
09-27-2010, 12:29 AM
Hi,all!
After having cut grains while doing Atkins 15 years ago, I became wheat intolerant when I tried to add some back in. One of the effects that I noticed was joint pain, along with sinus problems.
I also react to peanuts but differently. I would feel as if I had eaten glass and could trace their path through my system from the pain.
I've wondered if this could be related to leaky gut syndrome. Then there is the rumor that if you have leaky gut, dairy becomes an issue.
All good reasons to try Primal.

Violet73
09-27-2010, 07:41 AM
Hi,all!
After having cut grains while doing Atkins 15 years ago, I became wheat intolerant when I tried to add some back in. One of the effects that I noticed was joint pain, along with sinus problems.
I also react to peanuts but differently. I would feel as if I had eaten glass and could trace their path through my system from the pain.
I've wondered if this could be related to leaky gut syndrome. Then there is the rumor that if you have leaky gut, dairy becomes an issue.
All good reasons to try Primal.

It does sound like leaky gut syndrome. When reading about the paleo diet, everything says no peanuts as they are a bean? who knew? Dairy is very inflammatory to the gut. I did Atkins back in 2003 and felt great and lost weight but of course, stopped doing it and gained the weight back.

There is interesting info about leaky gut online...it makes a lot of sense!

MaddieD
09-27-2010, 07:43 AM
Welcome LeslieLou!

Wow...lots of posts to read while I was out camping! Great!!

Not a lot of time to post,but just wanted to check in. Still had a great week but I found the carb cravings were really strong. Not too sure if it was my body saying ``ok...we`ve had enough of this, we want carbs`` or if it was a minor yeast die-off (I`m hoping for that!) Anyway...mind,body and soul are co-operating much better today.

I`ll be back tomorrow for weigh-in...after my shower of course. ;)

srmb60
09-27-2010, 08:10 AM
I did some reading about leaking gut and am begining to understand something an old friend told me about her daughter (celiac, 300+ pounds) many years ago.
A naturopathy told her to eat only meat and vegetables (2000 cals) and take childrens liquid vitamins in double or triple doses.
Also, I went to hear a speaker once ... natural bodybuilder lady cop ;) She talked a lot about digestive aids (pancreatin) especially for folks who'd had their gall bladders removed and anyone over forty. Apparently there are many reasons for malabsorption problems and a lot of people could be suffering from marginal cases. Ya know? Just enough to impair feeling really really good.

If you think of all the reasons our innards could be tired and a little worn ... kind makes sense.

Mikkijoe
09-27-2010, 12:34 PM
Hey there, looks like everyone was busy over the weekend on here!

Welcome to all the newbies.

Response to keeping the thread here or moving it...I think it is important to be consistant. But I do wish we were able to have our own sub-forum, seems like we should qualify. But I see thier point to want us to be larger.

Leaky Gut, lacto-issues, etc: Do some research on fermented foods, there are MANY benefits, and Im not just talking about yogurt here. Check out the article on MDA here (http://http://www.marksdailyapple.com/gut-flora-inflammation/) or also search for articles on 'fermented vegetables for digestion' I have a friend who has many allergies and issues, she is about as thick as a small town phone book, but is always looking for the perfect diet--for physical comfort, not for weight loss. She is doing Body Ecology and doing well. She makes jars of fermented vegs and eats a little with every meal and it is really helping her. Something worth looking into. I think I am going to go get myself a jar of Kimchee, I love that stuff---but I have never had it without the rice.

Any experience with fermented foods and helping out the good bacteria? Following the PB we are getting rid of alot of the bad yeasts, so we are already taking a huge step just in that, but I do see there is room for improvement.

sparky1946
09-27-2010, 02:33 PM
I cannot believe it. As you all know I am fixated on getting into the 150s. I weighed myself nude this am - 160.2. I went to my doctor's appt and took off only my sandals - 160.0. I was so excited thinking that since I peed and didn't have anything by mouth that I could weigh again two hours later and get under the 160 plateau. So instead of stopping to get my first cup of coffee for the morning, I raced home, stripped off my clothes just knowing that I would see onefiftyderland. Nope - 160.2.

I am never eating again........

Mikkijoe
09-27-2010, 03:10 PM
Just go take a shower!

seriously tho, that sucks!

sparky1946
09-27-2010, 03:44 PM
OMG - I forgot about taking a shower!!!

Yeah :carrot:

chewy
09-27-2010, 11:22 PM
I am going to make this recipe soon:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=224312

Low low carb and really good, maybe add pumpkin for the fall?

Violet73
09-28-2010, 07:30 AM
I did some reading about leaking gut and am begining to understand something an old friend told me about her daughter (celiac, 300+ pounds) many years ago.
A naturopathy told her to eat only meat and vegetables (2000 cals) and take childrens liquid vitamins in double or triple doses.
Also, I went to hear a speaker once ... natural bodybuilder lady cop ;) She talked a lot about digestive aids (pancreatin) especially for folks who'd had their gall bladders removed and anyone over forty. Apparently there are many reasons for malabsorption problems and a lot of people could be suffering from marginal cases. Ya know? Just enough to impair feeling really really good.

If you think of all the reasons our innards could be tired and a little worn ... kind makes sense.

A good probiotic helps too. I'm deficient in calcium and vitamin D so I have to take those supplements. My gallbladder was removed when I was 30 :P I think this WOE is a very natural way and it will help heal the gut and also help to lose the weight :)

Violet73
09-28-2010, 07:32 AM
I cannot believe it. As you all know I am fixated on getting into the 150s. I weighed myself nude this am - 160.2. I went to my doctor's appt and took off only my sandals - 160.0. I was so excited thinking that since I peed and didn't have anything by mouth that I could weigh again two hours later and get under the 160 plateau. So instead of stopping to get my first cup of coffee for the morning, I raced home, stripped off my clothes just knowing that I would see onefiftyderland. Nope - 160.2.

I am never eating again........

You are right there! You will be in the 150s in no time ! How exciting! :D

Mikkijoe
09-28-2010, 02:11 PM
Ok, am I alone here or do other people subtract fiber out of their total carb count? For me I count a carb as a carb, but what does everyone else do. I ask because I read through the recipe for the cheesecake and see that she does subtract, as many recipes I have seen. But for PB, I think he promotes a carb is a carb

Ilene
09-28-2010, 02:24 PM
Mikkie, for me a carb is a carb :yes: ...

sparky1946
09-28-2010, 02:51 PM
I also count a carb as a carb. However when I go to 20 vlc like we did in the challenge, I "notice" how many of the carbs are fiber and try for 20 or less net carbs. Otherwise I would almost be just eating meat and fats.

I do not think PB recognizes net carbs. (I don't think Mark wants us counting anything that hard LOL).;) I just think it is important to not kid yourself. If my husband asks how many carbs I had today, I would say the whole number and add that x number were fiber grams, for what ever that is worth. I just pay attention and tell myself the truth.

My SIL said he is not losing on primal and is going back to IP. When my daughter asked if he is cheating, he reluctantly admitted a few times. Well I think if you cannot be honest with yourself and looking to blame something, you are doomed to fail. Do not blame a WOE if you are not eating that way. If you have a slip, acknowledge it and try to do better. I put ever morsel that I eat into myplate on livestrong. Sometimes I do not like what I see but it doesn't do any good to not acknowledge the food.

So I think the net carb/total carb thing is just a way of allowing yourself a few more bites. And that is OK...

srmb60
09-28-2010, 03:43 PM
I'm pretty simple ... a carb is a carb ... can't be doin' anything too complicated ;)

MaddieD
09-28-2010, 07:41 PM
Carb is a carb is a carb for me too. Just eating the veggie carbs usually brings me to 50-79ish and that's good for me.

Sandy...I feel your pain about NOT hitting 159.something. I am UP a bloody pound and I had another perfect week last week. I even managed to INCREASE my walking and exercise and still up a pound! What I think happened to me is my muscle mass increased more than the fat mass decreased. I spent a good part of last week and this week digging up 60 feet of perennials so it was all heavy lifting etc.

Mikkijoe
09-28-2010, 07:43 PM
How long did the SIL give to Primal? It takes many people 4-6 weeks of careful tracking and adjusting every 2 weeks or so to make sure they find their sweet spot

Mikkijoe
09-28-2010, 07:52 PM
So I am just having 2 meals today, because that is all I am hungry for, but even then I dont even have 30 carbs,

Lunch, pork chops and roasted veggiesin pesto left over from dinner
Dinner, Large taco salad,, romaine, salsa, sour cream, cheese, burger, cucumber

1064 cals, 73 fat (63%) 76 protien (29%) and 24 carbs (8%)

I certainly have room to have something else, but dont think I will want it. I have to have 3 meals to get enough carbs in, even when I have berries. Am I missing something???? How does my menu vary that different than people who are struggling to be under 75 or 100 grms carbs?

sparky1946
09-28-2010, 10:19 PM
He switched over to primal from IP about 6 weeks ago. I know he did not give Primal enough time but I think he was not totally following it. He refuses to keep track of anything as he says he does not have time. He is in a high stress job.

I read somewhere that folks who keep track lose a lot more weight than those that try to wing it. I do not remember the percentages. I think with him, it would do a world of good if he had to document the fast food burger he succumbed to on the way home from work. You cannot change what you do not acknowledge. It is too easy to try to fool yourself or even forget what you haphazardly popped into your mouth.

I worry about his future and his kids going without a father down the road...

mizski
09-29-2010, 03:05 AM
Ok, am I alone here or do other people subtract fiber out of their total carb count? For me I count a carb as a carb, but what does everyone else do. *snip* But for PB, I think he promotes a carb is a carb

I switched from whole foods Atkins to PB this summer and my brain is still trying to translate to total carbs. I can understand and even agree with Atkins' net carb approach to foods like veggies. But using the net carbs in other foods meant I was eating a lot more than I thought. IMO using net carbs for fruits is a slippery slope as while they do have fiber, some also have a great deal of sugars. And I always believed that the folks using those Atkins bars were fooling themselves with that net carb "magic" on the product label (i.e., total carbs: 19 minus 5g fiber = 3g net carbs).

I count total carbs now and find it so much easier.

I read somewhere that folks who keep track lose a lot more weight than those that try to wing it. I do not remember the percentages. I think with him, it would do a world of good if he had to document the fast food burger he succumbed to on the way home from work. You cannot change what you do not acknowledge. It is too easy to try to fool yourself or even forget what you haphazardly popped into your mouth.

I think it's very important to track your foods especially in the beginning to actually see in black and white what you are consuming. A typical fast food meal has a shocking amount of carbs as does much of the SAD. Seeing those actual numbers IMO helps to illustrate how bad that way of eating is.

When switching from the SAD to PB (or paleo or even Atkins), tracking is important to make sure your fats are high enough and that the carbs are in the proper range and the proteins are not too high. Many people have the low cal/low fat mentality ingrained and think eating a lot of meat is sufficient. That is not the way to go. We need the veggies and we need the fats.

I don't know what to suggest to make food tracking more palatable to him. Some find it easier to use a paper notebook while others prefer online trackers (I use FitDay PC). It's all about making a commitment to change which many are not willing to do though.

Have others noticed that with PB it is not as crucial to count every carb every day? My diet now is mostly fats, fresh proteins and veg. Even if I have a lot of veg, my carbs are pretty low. I do check in when I add nuts or fruits though.

srmb60
09-29-2010, 05:52 AM
Good morning!

I've got a tale to tell ya ... If you've ever gotten to goal weight with CW you'll remember all the folks who told you you looked too thin or gaunt or old in the face.
I had to renew my CPR last night. This involves crawling around on the floor. I wore yoga pants.
Because my newly pregnant coworker was going to be there, I took a uniform that's getting kinda baggy on me. It's one of those ones that has an empire waist and would give K's belly some room to grow.
Another coworker asked how small I was now. I calmly replied "About 130". She gasped and declared that I looked about 110.
Isn't that better than having people assume that you're dying at 125?

I haven't tracked for a while again. I'm sure I'd be shocked by how much my coconut milk, coconut oil and cream adds up to. I've even taken a can of coconut milk to work and keep it in the lounge fridge.

sparky1946
09-30-2010, 09:06 AM
I had a blood glucose test yesterday and I am scared. Anyone here have diabetes?

Ilene
09-30-2010, 09:56 AM
Susan -- Great tale, keep it up girl....

Sparky -- Don't panic til you get the results....

Me -- not much, same ole, same ole, boooooring.... keeping my head above water with life in general .... but it`s all good don't get me wrong :D

srmb60
09-30-2010, 03:44 PM
Sandy ... relax. When you get the results come back and share with us. Remember that a highish fasting sugar is normal for folks our age and that we can definitely do something about it.

Mikkijoe
09-30-2010, 04:17 PM
Sandy, if you are diabetic, or boarderline, then Primal IS the way to go! You can read story after story on MDA about people who are no longer on insulin, or no longer boarderline!

sparky1946
09-30-2010, 06:12 PM
Thanks all, you know how doctors don't really want to label people (pre-existing conditions and insurance issues). My fasting blood glucose was 97. Drank the sugar stuff and was 237 (should be 180-200 or less) after one hour. Should be less than 140 after 2 hrs and I was 168. The doc said stage 4. Stage 5 and 6 he considers diabetic. I have never had high glucose numbers at all and this surprised the heck out of me. I was unprepared to say the least.

srmb60
10-01-2010, 04:54 AM
Sandy ... a lot of docs are not using the super sweet drink any more. I think they are recognising that all calories are not equal and that glucose will spike the blood sugar of people who are basically healthier than that.

What did the doc recommend? an A1C? Is he willing to repeat the tests after you've been working with your diet for a while? How about a glucose meter?

walking2lose
10-01-2010, 06:55 AM
TGIF, Ladies!

I will catch up on your posts this weekend, in between working some needed "play" into my life.

Hope everyone is well!

sparky1946
10-01-2010, 08:54 AM
What did the doc recommend? an A1C?

My A1c was not tested. I have had it tested in the past and the last time is was 5.8. I asked him to test Homecysteine, C- reactive protein, and vitamin D (48). The first two were high as they usually are, I think my CRP is actually a little lower than past years. He checked c-peptide as he thinks I have lost some function in my pancreas?? It was in the normal range. My bg was 101 on the day of the first fasting appt.

His recommendations a Low-GI diet and Byetta. I mentioned that if Byetta is for appetite control, which helps some diabetics lose weight and thus get their numbers down, I do not have an appetite on Primal low-carb. But if it is for blood sugar reduction so that something doesn't get further damaged than I would consider it although I think it is very expensive. I am concerned with being labeled diabetic even "pre-diabetic" with our health care system.

I ordered a meter on my own, as I think it would be helpful to see if certain foods spike my blood sugar. I think a lot of folks on MDA use meters to check stuff. Or there is a great number of diabetics on MDA.

Ilene
10-01-2010, 09:08 AM
Primal/Paleo-ish in October (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/carb-counters/213784-primal-paleo-ish-october.html) is now open :lol: