Beck Diet Solution - Beck Diet For Life/Solution – September 2010 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

MaryContrary
09-23-2010, 12:41 PM
And hello to all the new faces, those returning and those just arriving!

Well, the weather is messing with me. Yesterday, it was cold and gloomy (SoCal cold, which means, like, 60), nice weather for a comfy sweater and some writing. Today, it's brilliantly sunny and will be close to 90! This depresses me, slightly. As much as I love it here in SoCal, I missssssss the seasons of the midwest. Nostalgia kicks in, and I just sit around thinking how much I would rather be somewhere else . . . a vicious cycle, my fantasy world of the-grass-is-always-greener-somewhere-else . . .

So I'm shaking it off by writing to y'all, so that I can motivate myself to get to the library.

I "forgot" to do my plan last night, which is probably why I'm feeling unfocused.

Some credits from yesterday:

* I worked out (the 3-mile with upper body strength training is getting to feel too easy!)
* I did four loads of laundry and cleaned our room
* I wrote 3 pages before noon
* I dealt with $ stuff and planned my stress-eating (which I knew I would experience!)
* I weighed in and read my A&R cards

Thanks to everyone for all the thoughtful, insightful ruminations. I do feel lucky to be so young, with the freedom and the resources to make positive eating changes. On our first date, my DP and I went to a wishing well, and she wished for health because, "You can't do anything unless you've got this going for you." These words have stayed with me. I have so many dreams, and I'm beginning to see that fulfilling these dreams requires that I be healthy!

I'm grateful to be a part of this forum! :grouphug:

Pecola123
09-23-2010, 09:15 PM
Hi Buddies:
Doing well here - OP. Joined my local TOPS group to get that extra support and reinforcement that we all know is so important.

Shepardess: Thanks so much for the suggestions on coping with DH being OOT. I do fall into making recipes while he's away that he would not like. (Unfortunately, I make my share of those he doesn't like when he is here also.) The other night I set up my tent in the backyard and slept out like I was camping. It was so much fun. I highly recommend it if weather permits.
Jasy: Eating fast was a big one for me too. Just over the last few weeks, I've almost totally eliminated that bad habit and woken-up to a whole new world with food. Hope you have a great experience too.
Robin: Welcome back!! Wow, a founding member. Glad you're getting things back together again.

Bye Buddies. Thanks for being here.

madrikh
09-24-2010, 12:07 AM
Hi Everyone.
Well, I am officially "on my diet", which means I am on Day 15 of the pink book, after about 7 weeks. Guess I'm a slow learner, or somethin'!

Anyway, I have had mind-boggling fatigue the past 2 days. Don't know if it's part of the depression, the new medication or something else. That said, fatigue and hunger feel almost exactly the same to me (almost exactly!?), so I have overeaten 2 times; dinner last night and tonight, by taking seconds.
Then I feel full, but still hungry; which I think is the fatigue. Sigh.

Credits (yesterday):
-ate OP (except that 2nd helping at dinner), even though I got stuck at the hospital with a friend for hours and didn't sit down to dinner until almost 9pm
-hard yoga class, in spite of fatigue ( I took MANY breaks).
-cleaned house today, one step at a time
-feeling more positive about this weight loss journey by reading Beck everyday

So, recently I have made a choice to be pretty blunt about where I'm at. Depression is a big player in my life at this time. I do realize however, that this is not a mental health forum. Therefore, if I need to stay more "on topic" (perhaps there are some guidelines I am not following), someone please let me know. I certainly don't want to discourage or offend anyone.

Marci

BillBlueEyes
09-24-2010, 04:31 AM
Diet Coaches/Buddies - Out for lunch for a regular event and I ordered my regular Portabello Mushroom stack over white beans; it's just so yummy. I ignored the bread sticks and butter that we had to face for nearly 30 minutes. CREDIT moi. Dinner was left over Dahl (lentils) and my favorite tomato salad - just cut up garden fresh tomatoes and basil with a touch of olive oil and salt. A whole day of special food.

Did gym; CREDIT moi.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - You're my hero for standing down the walking appetizers - all my plans cease to exist when a platter of those walk by. LOL at "iPad iNduced iNsomnia."

Shepherdess - Kudos to your trainer, Jen, for egging you on your tromp about. Gotta go tromping sometimes to get a close look at what's happening. And Kudos to you for sending away all your cookies and brownies. You got me drooling with your Moosewood cookbook mac' an cheese - gonna ask DW to try that. [LOL at your Frogger analogy - Yep, the semi's do come and Yep, we just start over again.]

Beverlyjoy - Sending supportive thoughts that your hard days be few - Kudos for toughing your way though them. Useful reminder, "I know that food doesn't cure pain."

Amber (AmberPr) - Yay for quality time with family for a whole week, with Kudos for recognizing your need to get back to planning. When I let myself go freelancing, I lose that instinctive notion that off plan food is, well, off my plan if I'd had one.

Marci (madrikh) - Yay for off and running at Day 15. Kudos for dealing with a long stay at the hospital with a friend and Kudos for progressing with your life despite how you feel at the moment. My take is that we talk about where we're at - follow your instincts.

MaryContrary - Great example of planning, "* I dealt with $ stuff and planned my stress-eating (which I knew I would experience!) And Yay for feeling deeply that health is key to the good life.

Pecola123 - LOL at camping in your own back yard - good for you guys who don't have nocturnal black bears. Kudos for joining TOPS; hope you let us know how it goes - I've repeatedly heard good stuff about that group.

Readers - day 38
Deal with a Plateau

Today I'm not talking about short-lived plateaus. I'm talking about more lengthy plateaus that span a few weeks or longer. The most likely explanation for these plateaus is that your body no longer needs as much energy (calories) as you've been taking in. If you hit one of these longer plateaus, you have four options:.... . .
2. Reduce your daily calorie intake by 200 calories, which should allow you to lose about a half pound per week. (Check with your health-care professional first to make sure it's reasonable to cut down some more.)
.... . .

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 248.

GosfordGirl
09-24-2010, 04:53 AM
Hi Coaches
I usually work at home on Friday if I can but today needed to "go down" to the city. So I waste 3 hours in travel and am not getting done what I need to - so not the best day. Now I know I will also have to work all weekend because I am in a high pressure phase at work - (too) interesting but it will pass. I just need to make the time to plan and prepare I keep reminding myself. I bought food to make freezable snacks and meals on the way home so hopefully I get organised in between work bursts on the weekend.

I ate "to plan" calorie wise today but the eating standing up curse still reigns. I also bought a precooked chicken on the way home and with premeditation put it in the front of the car rather than the boot - and proceeded to snack on it on the rest of the way home. Not good.

Credits
Weighed myself (still up); remembered to drink occasionally; planning; and that is about it unfortunately

BillBlueEye - great work saving up some of the free stuff for later - a tower of resistance strength with a small dark chocolate lapse. Nice work. Credit for the pot luck

Marci (madrikh) - congratulations on getting to day 15 - feels like progress from what I remember. It is good to see people being honest with the issues that impact on their relationship with food. Thanks for your insights. Yay for hanging in there with the BDS

Pecola123 - Glad you are doing well and OP. LOL at camping in the backyard - I probably missed earlier posts so not sure what that is about

MaryContrary - You workout sounds serious! Yes - health is pretty good and we are all trying to get there in our own way. Interesting that you feel bullet proof until something goes wrong - tends to focus the mind. Good strategy to plan for stressful time - I forget to do that

gardenerjoy - Oh - A new iPad (where is the envy icon when you need it) - i wouldn't sleep either. I would be up all night playing. Love your new medical condition. Great method of eating at a party - huge restraint but you make it sound easy

Beverlyjoy - Sorry for the pulled muscle - but you are thinking right with the belief that food doesn't help pain. Hope your lunch went to plan today

Shepherdess - I can totally relate to "I love a well-stocked freezer" - makes my life so much easier. Such good planning for the chocolate brownie and a great strategy to off load the goodies on the cowboys (sheep boys? Is this PC) - oops ranch hands

Amber - Ouch for "playing with fire" and great insight that "So, I know that. Now, what am I gonna do to work through it?" That is always the question isn't it. Knowing something and doing something about it is for me the great divide. I know all sorts of facts about weight and dieting etc. But how I manage me is always the stumbling block. Good luck

Shepherdess
09-24-2010, 09:14 AM
Yesterday we had a mild drizzle all AM. It was nice to get some moisture; it’s been a dry hot couple of months. I still couldn’t make myself sit down and work at the computer. I spent my day scrubbing down everything in my house that would stand still. Unfortunately Jen wouldn’t stand still; she could use it too. So, yes, I’m procrastinating, but the house is clean.

I was feeling tired, but headed out for an evening run, but I was struggling. I walked the last mile home. It’s still great exercise, but just frustrating to not be able to do what I normally do. I must need a bit of a break.

Food was OP, even the snack I had standing up in the kitchen—not sure what that was about. Dinner was Carrot-Mushroom Casserole, thanks again Moosewood. I think DH would like it, but it would take considerable convincing. I’ll make it some time and not give him a choice.

I’m off today to the Equality State Bookfest. I’m very excited. They’ve got a great lineup of writers.

Beverlyjoy, ouch for the back pain, but glad you know what to do and will be on the mend soon. Kudos for planning ahead and finding something on the menu that will fit into your plan.

Gardenerjoy, ouch for the insomnia, but LOL at “iPad iNduced iNsomnia.” Yay for enjoying socializing at a party instead of the food. That would be hard for me especially after banking some calories for it. Kudos for making sane food choices.

MaryContrary, I went to grad school in Phoenix and missed the seasons. In Phoenix it’s hot and miserable and slightly less hot and miserable. Now that I’m in WY I enjoy cold and windy and warm and windy, LOL. Yay for “the 3-mile with upper body strength training is getting to feel too easy!”

Pecola123, support groups are great! Glad you found a good one. Camping in the back yard while your DH is gone sounds like fun.

Madrikh, ouch for tired. Yep, it’s easy to confuse hungry and tired. The body knows it needs energy from somewhere. Kudos for going to yoga even when tired.

BillBE, your day’s meals make me hungry. Dahl is a favorite of mine. Did I read that right that your day of special foods is all vegetarian? That’s gotta make you realize how far much you’ve changed since Beck.

Seadwaters, great job planning for a stressful weekend, but ouch for a stressful weekend. I’m always impressed by your organization, even when things start to get hectic.

jasy
09-24-2010, 10:07 AM
Hi, Beck Buddies.

Have done better with the eating while standing up thing. It'll just take training. I'm also eating more slowly. I found myself actually looking forward to sitting down at the table with my lunch or dinner and savoring it slowly.

Got the grumblies last night while we were watching "Robin Hood" but reminded myself that it's just hunger and that not giving in is what's going to help me lose weight. I managed to resist.

Planning on eating a bowl of chili at a restaurant for dinner. The sodium in restaurant food just kills me every time I plan for it. If I'm out and about and eat at Panda Express, even if choose the healthier dishes, my sodium count can be as much as 3 times the daily allowance. Yup, water weight gain.

MaryContrary

Isn't this wacky weather something? Just when you think it's fall, it's summer again. Credits for the 3 mile with upper body strength feeling too easy. I'm working my way up to 3 miles myself.

I do 3 aerobics and 2 strength training sessions per week. I'm currently do 2 mi during the aerobics sessions and slowly working up to 3. So far, I'm sticking to my exercise plan and definitely seeing results.

gardenerjoy
Credits to you for drinking water during a party and eating later. That's hard to do.

Shepherdess
Yes, there are definitely elements of mindfulness meditation in the Beck philosophy. Being aware, eating slowly, and sitting with the hunger feelings come to mind.

Bill Blue Eyes
Kudos to you for eating just one chocolate/cookie combo. With all that food, that's a real win. Aren't apples just a great snack? I have a few honeycrisps in the house as well.

Seadwaters
Credits for eating on plan and for walking further in the mall.

Beverlyjoy
09-24-2010, 10:37 AM
Hi Beck folks - yesterday was a healthy on plan day. I am so grateful. Yay! I am doing a carrot happy dance. :carrot: It’s been a long time for me.

I wanted to eat dinner at 4:30. Of course, it was not real hunger. I used my resistance techniques and held on to the hunger experiment. Credit. I feel so good about it. I went to lunch with Mom and Aunt Mackie and stayed with my plan. Credit. Also - I made myself a celery soup for dinner and when I tasted when cooking, sat down. Credit. I am so grateful for the willingness to try.

I have not weighed for a for three weeks. The therapist I saw last month is coincidentally a Beck person and advocate. However, she said not to weigh until I think I can handle it. Mostly because I’ve been dealing with some depression due to all the health stuff, etc.

My back is feeling improved. I am grateful for that too.

Today I am going to dinner with a friend who is going into the Peace Corp for 2 years. She’s in her sixties. I think she is so brave. Anyway, we are going to a Spanish restaurant. I’ve checked their menu. There’s a Tapa that looks good - Muscles steamed with veggies, etc. Also, a Capreize salad with roasted tomatoes and mozz cheese. I’ll ask the waitperson to describe them further.

I am happy to say that I have many credits for yesterday.
Plan/log/measure/count calories - yes
Rc/arc - yes
Beck book - no
Leave a bite - every time
Gave credit - yes
Eat seated - every time
No seconds - yes
Exercise - no
Lots of water - yes
Eat slow - some of the time
Mindful - some of the time

Jasy - many credits for working so hard on not eating standing up, looking forward to sitting down to enjoy your food & using your resistance techniques when you got the munchies during Robin Hood.

Shepardess - cleaning counts too for exercise. Kudo’s for getting in your run when you didn’t feel like it. I like the Moosewood Cookbook too.

I need to run. I’ll try to get finish personals when I get back home.

RobinW
09-24-2010, 10:41 AM
:wave: Im here! *phew* I completely forgot about getting here yesterday. I think I need to set a reminder in my phone for this too!

Thank you all so very very much for the warm welcome back :) It certainly warmed my heart :grouphug:

Im still op, I dont have time for personals today, but if I remember to get in here early enough or late in the evening, I'll get to it I promise. So many things I want to comment on.

The business hasnt just expanded, it exploded. lol in a good way. Some of you remember I was running a sign and apparel shop with my husband. Well, he's still there, and Ive handed almost all of my duties to him and Ive moved my office back into the house, and running my brain child (that was born on the treadmill) from there. Its an amazing ride, Im working all hours and Im hanging on for dear life because I now have something that has always been an intense passion and Im sharing it. Its wonderful!!

ok so...food isnt all being planned but dinners are. Which is huge. Being so tired, the very last thing I want to do at the end of the day is cook. So it was hot dogs, burgers, fries, pizza....because heaven knows making smart choices in a restaurant arent my thing.

Food is sort of planned for the day...I make batches of what ever on the weekend, and pick from that at lunchtime. What I feel like having.

I am struggling with something Im hoping you all might have a trick to help me with. I am allowing wine on my plan, but only at social meetings etc instead of my wine at home. BUT Im finding that I struggle with the sugar cravings later in the evening after Ive gotten home, and usually early the next morning. Is there something I can eat with the wine to counter act this? I had cheese last night with my wine, but that didnt do it.

See you all tomorrow! :)

gardenerjoy
09-24-2010, 11:37 AM
I successfully engineered a bloodless coup and took over leadership of my book club last night. It seemed to be appreciated. The former leader abdicated a couple of weeks ago, so I merely stepped into the power vacuum. This is an interracial group that formed after the tragic shooting at Kirkwood City Hall in 2008. Of the many community efforts following that, ours is one of only a few that has managed longevity and I wanted to see that continue -- plus I have a stack of books I still want to read with the group.

Credit for eating on plan and mostly vegetables at our annual book selection pot luck.

WI: -0.15kg, Exercise: +30 1285/1800 minutes for September, Food: 90%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

madrikh: Please keep posting -- you won't cause offense. I'm more worried about the other way around, that one of us (say, me), could say something that seemed helpful to me but is completely off base for you. Before I was working with Cognitive Behavioral Techniques, they seemed to be a kind of harsh way of dealing with problems -- basically, get over it and do what needs to be done. Now, that I've actually experienced success with them, I realize what a wonderful blessing they can be. Still, we're all amateurs here and could easily say the wrong thing, so please be patient with us and interpret our words in the most generous way.

RobinW: I'm trying to get off diet sodas, so I can't believe I'm advicing this, but I do find that a caffeine-free diet soda will counteract a night time sugar craving. Or, maybe better, how about one of those fruit-only popsicles? Some of them are less than 100 calories, so it wouldn't take too much planning to save up the calories for a nighttime snack. I like homemade sorbet, instead, but I have more time to putter in the kitchen than you do. Kudos for identifying the problem and asking the question.

maryann
09-24-2010, 12:33 PM
Happy Friday,
I have been away from technology for two days and spent about half an hour catching up on everybody's post on my computer this morning. My personals will probably be out of date.
I realize I have spent a day or two in egoville dreaming of being at goal and how everyone will admire me even though I am realistically months away from that happening. I think I am setting myself up for a let down tom. at weigh in. So Credit Moi for remembering that on my advantages card only my very LAST goal is that other people will find me attractive. My FIRST five goals are personal areas of spiritual growth, peace and improved health. All those goals are happening this very minute. The appearance thing is in the future. I am remembering to be grateful for my successes today.
Lexxiss: my philosophy is that there isn't any situation that can't be improved with a nap!
Woodland: You were talking about self defeating thoughts. My thoughts have been about impatience of not losing fast enough. Terrible set up. Good thing I can "act as if" my thinking is right on track. I am getting better at "the ignore."
BBEyes: How come everyone is always giving you free food? Do you wear a sign?
Shepardess: there is such power in being able to just go to bed. I did this the other day and woke up on fire with my success.

Good Day to all.

Lexxiss
09-24-2010, 03:13 PM
Hello Beck friends:wave:

Hmm...I was reading posts and catching up...had the amazing thought of doing personals while I was catching up!

First, my day yesterday was very Beck focused and I stayed on my plan until 2 bites after dinner...decided to use my "go to bed" Distraction Technique which worked quite well. Today is planned. I plan to stick to it!

BillBlueEyes, what can I say….a day of FREE food everywhere, then the next day sounding so zen-like. A great reason to always show up prepared, and great credit for cruising through like a champ!

maryann, :lol: I have noticed, too, that BBE is constantly offered FREE food-me, practically never. Thanks for sharing your goals. I didn't prioritize mine and think it's a great idea.

gardenerjoy, congrats! fearless leader of the book club! *pause* I had not made the connection and took a moment remembering the tragic event in your town.
I really pondered on your insight about grieving about the way you used to eat. I have moments, too, when I have some nostalgia regarding old habits, yet knowing I can't have both. I would rather be healthy!

RobinW, I didn't get to say Hi! yesterday and welcome back! I don't drink wine so don't have any suggestions for you….sorry!

Beverlyjoy, I didn't know you could still join the Peace Corp at 60. I''m wondering where your friend is going. Many credits yesterday:cp: It is nice that your therapist is a Beck person and it sounds like she has some very good advice for you. Take care. :hug:

jasy, I hope you are learning the enjoyment of mindful eating. Trust me, you will get to a point where you will be amazed that you ever ate while standing. It feels very uncomfortable now, and I recognize how many uncounted calories used to go down my gullet!

Shepherdess, you are inspiring me to pull my Moosewood cookbooks the next time I'm at the other house! I have at least 300 cookbooks there...not so much space here. Isn't it funny when you find yourself eating standing up and can't figure why. I was wondering if it was because DH is gone...just different routine.

Cheryl(seadwaters), *ouch* for chix in the car...I've done it and it's a habit worth changing. Sometimes the chix is a very good choice when I need food and I find a table and sit and have a piece. I hope your work starts slowing down even though you find it very interesting!

Marci(madrikh), no worries about being blunt! As I have been reading posts from end to start, I have notice that the others are very supportive, too. I have continual family upheaval in my life….sometimes I get concerned about mentioning it, but it IS my biggest challenge in my sane relationship with food. Your credits are many, and I sigh as I remember what the fatigue which accompanied my depression felt like. Fatigue does feel like hunger to me, and other times I feel like food will "cure" it.

Pecola123, great choice joining a local group. I have such a wonderful and supportive group here at 3FC, but have been thinking it would be great to sit around a table, too.

MaryContrary, great credits yesterday. Thanks for your inspiring words. I, too, am grateful to be a part of this group!

AmberPr, great that you're anticipating your relationship with food and your exercise as the colder weather moves in. I am very careful because 2 years ago I gained 20 during the winter. I am so grateful I was able to get back on track.

maryblu, aka Survivor Buddy, hope you're having fun by now!

Woodland, I had a 6# rise on the scale coming back from this trip….2 days later it's gone...glad I was only marginally nervous! Keep up the good work, and thanks again for the recipe!

Ok, back to work.

Beverlyjoy
09-24-2010, 03:29 PM
Hi again….I have a chunk of time to finish personals.

Gardener-joy - Many cheers to your approach to the party and using your Beck skills to skip the cocktails and appetizers. That is a major accomplishment. Bravo on the Book Club coup!!

Mary contrary - I love the four seasons too. I’ve always lived in the Midwest. Many good credits! I think it’s so appropriate to wish for good health at the wishing well.

Pecola - I have a couple of friends who are part of TOPS. They love the support. I think combining Beck and TOPS is awesome!

Madrikh - happy you’ve started you food plan - such an important step. When I am tired, I feel hungry. But, I know it’s not true hunger if I have eaten recently. When I am tired - my resistance muscle isn’t always as strong. But - try to use your resistance techniques to get through it. Folks usually talk about where they are at - do what feels right to you.

Billbe - wonderful day for you, it was! Great menu and approach to the foods. And the gym, too. Excellent.

Seadwaters - credit for getting food for the freezer for when you are so busy next week. The munching on chicken is over. Carry on!

Lexxiss - so glad you are back in the Beck mode. "Go to bed" technique. Is that written somewhere or did you create that one. LOL My friend and her husband are going to be in Africa. She will teach English and he will teach math. They need to learn the language, too.

Robin - so glad you've had some onplan days! Credit for planning your food ahead of time to put in the freezer. Starting a new business can be stressful and make you so, so tired. So your planning ahead will be a great help. I always say - plan, plan and plan some more.

Have a good weekend folks.

Lexxiss
09-24-2010, 06:04 PM
Beverlyjoy, I just happen to have the Distraction Techniques Chart right here and it's not on the official list, but I'll add it to mine. Realistically, many times I am awake a 3 am so going to bed at 8 or 9 is legitimate and I think that sometimes I'm just really tired! It's my managed insomnia. BTW-I'm intrigued that your married friends are embarking on this journey together.

Woodland
09-24-2010, 08:33 PM
Hi All,

Well, as soon as I mentioned my weight jumping around, it has been the same for the last 4 days. At least it picked the lower number to settle on :^:

Regarding sleep, when I was a little girl and had to take naps, my grandmother would say something really helpful to me if I couldn't fall asleep. (I remembered this for so long!). She would say "even if you are not asleep, just laying still and closing your eyes will rest your body and mind". I think it took the pressure off of having to fall asleep, and I've always been grateful for her words. These days I go to sleep thinking about credits. That puts me right out !

Still smelling my food :dizzy:, for some reason it seems so new to me!

TGIF, hope everyone has a terrific weekend !
Woodland

madrikh
09-24-2010, 11:23 PM
Thank you for all the encouragement:hug:
I did check out the 3FC Depression thread, but it's not very active; one of my biggest needs is accountability, so I'm going to hang out here.

Credits:
-hard yoga class + gentle class this morning
-I am super-aware right now that "new-medicine" could be messing with the hunger/fulness signals in my brain. I feel nearly ravenous all the time. Remembering that "just because I want to eat doesn't mean I should"
-spent the afternoon with my friend who was just released from the hospital
-got out of bed w/o hitting the snooze button!!
-ate sitting down 100%
-day 4 of new medicine: I don't feel so great, but I'm trying to stick it out.

Oh! I meant to post this earlier and forgot: My beautiful 21 yo DD asked to look at my pink book. She's had it for a few days now and she asked me if I could check the used book store for a Beck journal!! I'm just so excited for her to have these tools from a young age. Wish I'd had them.

My weight loss seems to be stalled. The first 6 pounds came off w/o too much trouble, I just planned and used portion-control. I may have to resort to another, more specific diet. Any suggestions?

Peace,
Marci

BillBlueEyes
09-25-2010, 05:28 AM
Diet Coaches/Buddies - Twas a long week; glad it's over. Felt like I won the battle at work this week; CREDIT moi for tending to that which needed to get done. On my way to bed I noticed an empty cup and teabag that I had left some days earlier, so I made a note to bring it downstairs in the morning. Then I had this wonderful notion, I could just bring it downstairs right NOW and not have to think about it again. So I did. CREDIT moi for remembering that I don't have to optimize my life to avoid walking up and down a staircase.

On my after work walk (CREDIT moi), I stopped by my favorite Indian grocery store where I got 8 pints of blueberries last week. He did have fresh Nova Scotia blueberries as before, but this week they came in half-pint clams for $3.99 - perhaps cheaper than Whole Foods, certainly cheaper than the $4.99 he says they'll be soon before they cease to be available at all, but higher than my emotional limit. So, sadly, I have declared that the blueberry season is over for me.

Robin (RobinW) - Waving back at busy, busy Robin. As I recall, you had recognized that your signs and t-shirts were one way to bring awareness to a business, but that could include web sites and networking. Is that were you "exploded" your business? Can't wait to hear more.

Kudos for making "batches of what ever" for your lunches. And more Kudos for controlling your eating since you're working from home right next to your kitchen. Don't have any help on your wine question - good luck solving that one.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for coups, bloodless or not. And certainly Kudos for your pot luck performance.

Shepherdess - Drooling over Moosewood's Carrot-Mushroom Casserole - you're taking good care of yourself. [LOL, Yep, my fine foods day was all vegetarian. And Yep, it would never have happened before this journey. You vegetarians have been keeping secret the huge number of great ways to cook veggies.]

Beverlyjoy - Yay for an on plan day and for your upbeat spirit. And Kudos for, "it was not real hunger."

Cheryl (Seadwaters) - Ouch for the continued stress of the "high pressure phase at work" - but Yay for digging into something challenging and new. Big Ouch for chicken-and-driving; perhaps your store has those packages of baby carrots, which I find to be good snack food while driving.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Yay for using your "go to bed" Distraction Technique. I remembered your earlier comment last night and just went to bed early since I'd gotten up so early. The world didn't end.

Woodland - Neat that you're continuing to be aware of the aromas of your foods. Maybe, by usage, you're improving your sense of smell.

Marci (madrikh) - Yay for "but I'm trying to stick it out" - my take on the Beck strategies is that we acknowledge our feelings, then move forward with our plans. Sounds like that's just what you're doing.

maryann - Neat remembering that your goals have priorities, and Kudos for organizing your emotions to honor that. [LMAO at "Do you wear a sign?" I have noticed that FREE food seems to be appearing more often in my life, but don't know what I'm doing to attract it. Maybe by appearing hard to get I'm egging it on - I've become a food-tease, LOL.]

jasy - Kudos for your successes and for continuing to work the sitting down to eat challenge. And Kudos for "it's just hunger" - so very Beck. [Yep, can't beat an apple for a snack, especially a Honeycrisp.]

Readers - day 38
Deal with a Plateau

Today I'm not talking about short-lived plateaus. I'm talking about more lengthy plateaus that span a few weeks or longer. The most likely explanation for these plateaus is that your body no longer needs as much energy (calories) as you've been taking in. If you hit one of these longer plateaus, you have four options:.... . .
3. Increase your daily exercise by 15 to 20 minutes.
.... . .

Beverlyjoy
09-25-2010, 08:14 AM
Hi Beckfolks, coaches, friends... yesterday was an on plan day. I am so grateful. So, this is two days now - grateful to put two days of food sanity together.

I went out with my friend for dinner last night and stayed with my pre-chosen food. I got delicious mussels cooked in tomatoes, onions & wine and a piece of grilled bread. I had allowed myself one bite of any dessert that folks wanted to share - if that came up. It one awesome bite of a warm chocolate cake with pudding in it. I was just fine with that one bite. Go figure. (credit)

Yesterday I decided I would smile & twirl when I give myself credit during the day when cooking in the kitchen. That if I think of - I'll do the twirl. No - I didn't twirl at the restaurant. I did two twirls yesterday. I had more instances to twirl - but, just smiled. Maybe I'll keep twirling today.

I had a doctor appointment yesterday (orthopedist DO - got a manipulation on my back). I took my response cards to read in the waiting room. Credit.

Today DH is going to a college football game with our cousin. I am aiming at going through a couple stack of papers in my office and pay some bills.

yesterday
plan/log/measure/count calories - yes
lots of water - yes
exercise/spontaneous exercise - only if you count twirls
ate seated - all but one bite
no seconds - yes
fork down - some of the time
slow mindful eating - some of the time
taste food - yes
Beck Book - no
gave credit - yes
used resistance techniques - a few times
checked in here

lexxiss - it is kind of amazing that my friends are going to Ruwanda for two years. She is 63 and he is 65. She will teach english. He will teach math. He is an engineer and archetect by trade and feeling he could really be helpful in that area - but, they still want him to teach math. I first step is for them to learn the language in the first three months. What an adventure!

billbe - so, so glad you survived your crazy week so well. It's good that you are more aware of adding a bit of spontaneous movement during the day. Bye bye fresh blueberries...see you next season.

madrikh - it's wonderful that your DD is interested in exploring the Beck book. It's a huge credit that you could differenciate real hunger with just wanting to eat. Eating seated all day is awesome.

woodland - my mom said the same thing to me when I was little and couldn't want to take a nap. I said it to my son. Sorry about your weight loss stall. Just remember it will come off when your body is ready to let it go.

Have a great Saturday everyone.

Shepherdess
09-25-2010, 10:54 AM
The Equality State Book Festival has been so much fun. I’m meeting so many interesting people—pretty exciting since I mostly socialize with non-humans. Last night there was a reception for the visiting authors and I took GardenerJoy’s cue and socialized instead of eating. What a concept! I came home to yummy leftovers for dinner. DH got in very late yesterday PM. It’s good to have him home.

I took two walks with Jen yesterday during breaks in the festival. Yay for a dog that keeps me moving!

I’m off to another fun and exciting day at the Equality State Book Festival!

Jasy, kudos for making progress on the eating while standing front. Yup, we can all be trained to learn new tricks. Credit for having a rational response to “the grumblies,” LOL.

Beverlyjoy, great job on 2 days OP. Credit for being satisfied with a single bit of what could be a very dangerous dessert. It’s so cool that your friend and her husband are going into the peace corps. They must have adventurous spirits!

RobinW, yay for pursuing your passion and having it payoff! How’s that for alliteration? (Can you tell I’ve been hanging around writers?) It sounds like you have a great strategy for food during your busy workweek.

Gardenerjoy, LOL at “bloodless coup.” Your bookclub sounds really neat. Kudos to you for keeping it going. These things can fall apart when a leader steps aside. Great job sticking to mostly veggies.

Maryann, great job remembering your priorities! The admiration of others is nice, but I have read that those who lose weight for themselves (rather than the approval of others) are more likely to keep it off. I love the idea of waking up “on fire with my success!”

Lexxiss, great job on a Beck focused day, and for using the “Go to bed” distraction when that focus began to falter. Such a great distraction technique.

Woodland, yay for your weight finally settling on the low number. When I was still losing, my weight would really jump around right before a drop. There are so many things going on physiologically while you are losing that the number on the scale can be confusing. LOL at using credits to fall asleep. I guess it’s kinda like counting sheep.

Madrikh, great job getting to those yoga classes. A friend’s daughter struggled with severe depression as a teenager and she continues to manage it through yoga. I don’t know how or why, but for her, it works. Hope you find the same. A stall in weight loss can be frustrating. There are so many factors, one of which could be your new medication. In my case, weight loss slowed the closer I was to my goal weight, so the same may be true for you. Beck discusses weight loss plateaus (BBE quote of the day comes from that). You can look at those strategies and decide what to do.

BillBE, yay for winning the work-week battle! LOL at taking that extra trip downstairs to take care of your teacup. You must still be in efficiency mode from a stressful workweek. I’ll mourn the end of blueberry season with you. But on a positive note, it’s apple and pear season!

maryann
09-25-2010, 11:46 AM
Super fall Day today. Small breakfast and going to weigh in. I journeyed through a tough patch yesterday. I am applying for MFA programs in Creative Writing and it made me VERY HUNGRY. I was hungrier and hungrier thinking about getting recommendations and showing people my work. I had my two snacks earlier than planned but credit for stopping at that. I went to Body Combat class at the gym and "battled" the fears. So, I woke up grateful.
BBE: There is a season, turn, turn, turn and a time for every blueberry . . . whatever. It never ceases to amaze me how one day you have the air conditioning on and seemingly the next moment you need the heater. And all this occurs without my permission.
beverlyjoy: I was reading about your "one bite for dessert" and it reminded me of the amazament of this new life where one bite can actually be enough!
Shepardess: What is an "Equality Book Festival" Sounds fascinating.

maryann
09-25-2010, 12:03 PM
P.S. I am so excited. I got my ticker.

RobinW
09-25-2010, 01:00 PM
Hi everyone! :wave:

Lets see, yesterday was a very tough day.....and last night was another networking event, and 2 more glasses of wine. After the day yesterday, I decided the inner fighting wasnt worth it. I'll just stick to diet soda at these things. As much as I thoroughly enjoy wine (and I mean thoroughly!) I need to cut it out to just special occasions! So...that's that.

I apologize, someone suggested I try diet soda. I cant remember who you were, and I dont have a seperate window open to check :( But thank you ....I drank a 1litre bottle of diet coke yesterday trying to settle the mess. It helped quiet the brain, but not the body so much. But it did help me get thru the day.

Bill, I started listening to my clients when it came to marketing. They were telling me what they wanted. I finally listened !! So, the new website was born, and last week I launched my own personal blog. Ive been teaching, speaking and coaching on social media. My speaking has exploded, and Im teaching this November at one of the big local Colleges. Plus numerous other things that have just blown my mind with the speed of events!! Its amazing! I am so very thankful and humbly grateful for all that is happening. You should be able to find everything you might want to find if you are on twitter, and click my signature.

Alot of folks dont think of this forum as social media...it is. So think about how long you've been using this type of platform. Ive been here since 2002, and other forums, blogging etc since 1997. Ive just taken what Ive learned in those yrs and Im now sharing what I know. I absolutely LOVE it!!!

ok....enough of that...I could go on forever! lol

But, it was mentioned that all this has come at a price. My weight has slipped back up. Taking care of "me" took a back seat.

So...its time to get "me" back. So I can keep up with what my brain wants me to do!!

Oh...Im working from home 75% of the time, but my office is in the attic. The kitchen is 2 flights down and I hate stairs enough that it works for me!! I could use a coffee pot up here tho! lol When Im out on appointments, I almost always bring a coffee with me. Often they have office coffee and donut/treats etc. This just keeps me away from it all.

My strategy is coming along. Its the networking events that get catch me off guard.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!!!

madrikh
09-25-2010, 02:19 PM
Happy Saturday everyone!
I have a busy day ahead, so thought I better check in early.

Credits
-45 minutes on treadmill (4.2 mph at incline)
-breakfast OP
-plan made for this busy day
-day 5 of new medicine (this is HUGE for me)
-reminded myself-again-that the number on the scale is just information (up1lb)

BillBE: thanks for the Beck reminders; I think today's is one I can use, by maybe getting my bike out to ride around the neighborhood for 15 minutes. I know my 10 yo DS would love to join me.

Beverlyjoy: TWIRLS absolutely count: credit you!

Thank you again and again to all who encourage me. My fatigue has lifted a bit, and maybe the depression too...perhaps New Medicine is working??!!

I have checked out Moosewood cookbooks from the library many times, but haven't tried any of the recipes. Can anyone recommend favorites?

peace,
Marci:wave:

gardenerjoy
09-25-2010, 05:19 PM
Late and short today. Giving myself credit for special-ordering asparagus instead of tortilla chips with my chipotle black bean burger. The waiter acted like he did that sort of thing all the time. I'm pleased to see that they way to get restaurants to not serve us a day's worth of starch exchanges on one plate is too simply ask them not to. Maybe if enough of us do it, they'll start putting veggies with sandwiches on the written menu. Thanks to BillBlueEyes and others for modeling this behavior so that now I'm finally doing it.

Extra credit for bringing half the sandwich home even though I wanted to eat it all and had the sabotaging thought "It's one of the healthiest items on the menu AND I ordered asparagus instead of chips therefore I should get to everything on my plate." But it would have thrown me off track, so I didn't.

WI: -0.2kg, Exercise: +45 1330/1800 minutes for September, Food: 80%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

McKt
09-25-2010, 11:33 PM
All of your stories are so motivating! I am looking for a coach /diet buddy to help me get to AND stay at goal weight. I have been losing and gaining the same 20 – 25 pounds over and over for the last 10 years. Enough is enough! It is time to take these pounds off and successfully maintain a healthy weight. Beck’s Diet Solution is the perfect fit as ever page I read I think it was written specifically to me. Please contact me if you are interested in being buddies.

BillBlueEyes
09-26-2010, 06:19 AM
:welcome: McKt :welcome:

And, on the occasion of your first post, :wel3fc:

How did you find out about the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you find this thread on 3 Fat Chicks?

BillBlueEyes
09-26-2010, 06:30 AM
Diet Coaches/Buddies - A lovely fall day. Walked to our community garden and harvested a honking large sack of cherry tomatoes and another sack of heirloom tomatoes. A glorious sight. Made my exercise walk an excursion to get a haircut - CREDIT moi since I'm capable of going forever without thinking of that.

Found myself thinking that a second evening snack would be just right, and then, CREDIT moi, I didn't!!! Important that I stop this multi-snack trend before it becomes the new norm. I remember what I did in the old days with the concept of a "small square" of dark chocolate each evening, LOL; it became a larger and larger "small square" until it was a goodly chunk of a big Hersey bar.

Professor (RobinW) - Yay for weathering a "tough day." Just love reading how excited you are with your new journey. (Does posting on 3FC make me a media socialist?)

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Oh Yes, Extra Kudos for standing down the Sabotaging Thought "It's healthy..." and bringing half your sandwich home. Neat to let the restaurant serve you the food you want.

Shepherdess - You stood before FREE food but "socialized instead of eating" - that is so impressive; Kudos. Yep, Yay for apple and pear season.

Beverlyjoy - Isn't it amazing that one bite of dessert can satisfy! It's a great technique when you dine with a someone willing to share.

Marci (madrikh) - HUGE Kudos for sticking to journey for five days on the new meds. Hope you and DS made that biking trip.

maryann - Oh Yes, applying for admission reverts us back to our helpless days when our path forward was decided by others. Definitely a source for deep feelings. Kudos for recognizing that and taking steps to keep it from leading you to fall for the notion that food will make those feelings go away. [LOL at, "And all this occurs without my permission" - <sigh> just like it did last year.]

McKt - That old business of losing/gaining the same chuck of weight does, indeed, get old. Glad you've decided to end that cycle.

The bunch of us posting here serve as Diet Coach / Diet Buddy to each other. We'd be happy for you to join us if you like. Just continue to post for accountability - it's easier not to try personals while all of us are one big blur, LOL. Which Beck book are you reading?

Readers - day 38
Deal with a Plateau

4. Call this your goal weight and move into maintenance.

CeeJay
09-26-2010, 10:18 AM
Good morning.

Am determined that I will be checking in tonight to report that I was on plan today.

Credit so far today for:

Getting on the scales. UGGGG.
Doing weights
Eating a healthy breakfast

:grouphug:

McKt
09-26-2010, 10:35 AM
Thank you for the fantastic Welcome. I ran across the Becks Diet Solution at Costco when it first came out. I followed it for a few weeks, got distracted and that was that. Although I completely understood how much sense it made and that it was exactly what I needed to maintain goal weight. Apparently I just was not ready.

Since I first bought the book I probably lost / gained the same weight two or three times. It is such an obvious pattern for me. The day I get within goal range I instantly turn off tuning in to my inner voice. Bam… the sabotaging thoughts take over, I hear no logic or reasoning. My fitness in the past has been all or nothing so I stop exercising and can put the weight that took me six months to lose, back on in less than three.

I am here to change those all or nothing patterns to new patterns in order to find that balance I am desperately in search of. Yes, I can imagine a life in which I am not expending so much frustrating energy on the ups and downs of am I on a “losing streak” this month or am I in a “how fast can I gain” it mode? WOOOO WHOOOO!

gardenerjoy
09-26-2010, 11:01 AM
Off to the cabin alone for the day. That used to be an excuse to overeat horrible food. So, I have my day fully planned, including food and exercise. My lunch and snack are packed. I'll also bring drinks. The car has plenty of gas. I have no excuse to stop anywhere for any reason that would then tempt me to buy some snack or other. That should keep the day healthy and relaxing.

WI: +0.2kg, Exercise: +70 1400/1800 minutes for September, Food: 80%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Welcome McKt! Glad you've joined us. I'm convinced that, collectively, we make the smartest diet coach in the universe! Good job recognizing your pattern and finding the determination to thwart it this time around. One of the things I love about 3FC is the maintainers forum. I imagine myself being there, and at this thread, for the rest of my life, because I've finally convinced myself that this is a lifetime commitment to my health and wellbeing.

madrikh: you asked a couple of days ago about specific diets. I like exchange plans. I invented my own, loosely based on the government's food pyramid. When that stalled, I tried the DASH diet for awhile. When that stalled, I attempted the diet in Beck's green book. With my new dieting skills, I was able to cut back my carbs to the level she suggested, but my indoctrination into low-fat dieting has been too complete so I never increased my fat / protein / dairy servings enough to compensate. I lost weight so quickly that I scared myself, but it was fun while it lasted. Now I'm using Richard Simmons' Food Mover. I liked and recommend every one of them. Obviously, variety amuses me.

maryann
09-26-2010, 12:56 PM
Good Morning, All
Sick today. It is annoying and lonely. Dh and DS are coming back this afternoon and I won't be able to play with them. Whenever I am sick, I get a terrible feeling I might cease to exist because the truth is I feel most of the time that I am only what I accomplish. When I can't accomplish, poof! Old patterns, old thinking. I will go to bed after this post with a mantra: "I am enough"
BBeyes: I stopped by a roadside stand yesterday with DS (8yrsold) and we bought bags of cherry tomatoes. It thrills me he will eat the whole bag unless I stop him. He loves them as much as he loves candy or chips
Madrikh: I am on the zone diet. It is the first diet in my entire life in which I am not hungry. I was shocked after a few days on it how little food a person actually needs to run an active life. I never thought it was possible.
MCKT: I started here in August with a post much like yours. This website has been a much needed pillar in the structure for my new life.
Gardenerjoy: Enjoy the cabin. Hopefully the air is sweet for your day of fun and exercise.

Woodland
09-26-2010, 02:29 PM
Hi Coaches,

Been feeling hungry and a bit paniced lately. I think it is the turn of the seasons. Change is hard for me. I like routines (too much).

My diet is 1800 calories a day, with 30% Fat, 50% Carb, and 20% Protein. I struggle to keep the fat and protein numbers up and the carb numbers where they should be. I don't eat meat, so that's part of it. I exercise 6 days of the week (3 days are 30 minutes on recumbent bike, and 3 days are 1 hr of circuit training, weights, stretching, elliptical). Sundays I rest, but really I clean the house so that counts too I suppose.

McKt: :welcome3: Glad you have joined us. This group makes excellent coaches ! We come here and share, which for me has been very helpful on a daily basis.

Speaking of too many carbs, I have cantaloupes coming out of my ears from the garden. Not to mention the tomatoes. I made canned stew yesterday and probably will can more salsa tomorrow. I live in the kitchen these days - so actually I consider my exercise time FUN because it is ME time !

Hope everyone is having a nice weekend!
Woodland

Beverlyjoy
09-26-2010, 04:18 PM
Hi Coaches, Beckfolks, friends - yesterday was a healthy day (that‘s three in a row) - I am so grateful. I stayed within my calorie range- but, my plans did take a few twists and turns as the day progressed. I had three hundred extra calories left after my snack in the evening. I ate some unplanned food in the evening. I was wanting sweet, salty, crunchy. So, I added in lite cheese on a rice cake and some grapes. It could have been worse - I am glad for the willingness to eat healthy extra. (and stay in my calorie range) Always a work in progress when it comes to ‘living with food’.

I had many twirls yesterday - it’s kind of fun. I can’t help smiling when I do a little twirl when I give myself credit. Mostly in the kitchen credits - no licking fingers or utensils when cooking, not snacking on foods when I am preparing food, etc.

Yesterday I made a huge batch of roasted green beans for the next few days. They are my latest healthy snack/side dish.

Yesterday:
Leave a bite - always
Plan, log, measure, count calories - always. Added to plan, however
Arc/beck - no
Exercise - stretches
Tasting - some of the time
Fork down - some of the time
No seconds/seated - all the time
Slow mindful eating - some of the time. Am always working on this.

Shepardess - the book fair sounds like fun. Kudo’s for enjoying your human friends without having the food stuff get in the way. Excellent. Glad you got your exercise with the dogs.

Maryann - major credit for sticking with your planned snack - when stress was making you hungry. Kudo’s for knowing that it wasn’t real hunger just a reaction to things happening. I hope you are feeling better soon.

Robin - good thinking to realize that diet coke can work. Yes, every day could be a ‘special occasion’ the way life goes for many of us. Great strategy to bring your own coffee to meetings.

Madrikh - 45 minutes on the treadmill. Yes, that number on the scale is but one moment in time - it reflects: food in, energy expended, water, hormones, bodily functions and more. It’s hard not to let it define the day. Keep working at it.

Gardner joy - I want to live near your restaurant where you can order a side of asparagus instead of chips. That’s a yummy replacement. Good for you. Good job on resisting eating that whole sandwich. I hope your day at the cabin is wonderful. Credit for packing your food.

Mckt - WELCOME! So glad you posted. You’ll like this forum. Folks are very helpful. Dr. Beck’s techniques are a wonderful blueprint for living with food in a healthy way. I am a calorie counter as my first plan. My second plan is food exchanges.

Billbe - I love how you often include walking in your daily doin’s and chores. The tomatoes are so good this time of year. Glad you mentioned your multiple evening snacks. I am working on that again. Good for you.

Ceejay - great start to the day…posting here and checking in. I think that starting the day with a healthy breakfast sets the tone for the day. Credit!!

Woodland - I agree…I think change and transition are tough sometimes. Your plan looks good. I had a cold canteloupe soup once that was deelish.

Have a great day, folks.

GosfordGirl
09-26-2010, 05:08 PM
Morning coaches

It is a glorious morning and the last few (and the next) days are ridiculously warm for this time of year. Have a feeling it will be a hot summer

I am not losing weight and even though my current plan states that you don't need to measure your serves they obviously don't know who they are dealing with. I just entered everything I had eaten yesterday (so much for logging food as you eat it) and it was somewhat larger than I believe one could lose weight on. So it is back to constant monitoring, and lists, and weighing, and...

And the snacks have crept back in in the evenings - LOL to BillBE post (I only managed to read that far this morning) - he is singing my song. I was to have one row of chocolate and somehow that has gotten out of hand. And a few sugar free (but not calorie or fat free) sweets had also snuck in there

So I have planned ALL my food for today, and will report later as to whether I was on plan

Lexxiss
09-26-2010, 05:16 PM

Checking in *credit*. Today...so far, so good. I resisted the not-so-good food I took to church, and instead, enjoyed the good stuff I brought. *credit* I'm going several directions at once, here, so I thought it best to say hello...it's the time of day I start thinking about food. I'm traveling tomorrow, so trying to get organized but I'm thinking of napping BEFORE I get the munchies.

maryann, I hope you feel better very soon! I've been having a strange feeling lately which I can't identify.
Woodland, I think I feel unsettled with the season change, too.
McKt, :welcome2: A great group of coaches here!
BillBlueEyes, we have picked our last cucumbers yet still have gobs of cherry tomatoes.
maryblu, I found Colorado Honeycrisps at our farmers market yesterday.
Marci(madrikh), I hope you get to try a short bike ride with your son. I just got back from our mall-it's 3 minutes by bike. I'm going to look back through my Moosewood recipes when I get to my other house.
RobinW, I think your decision to cut out the wine at your events is very well thought out. *credit*.
Shepherdess, glad your DH made it home safe and sound.
Beverlyjoy, Yay for :twirly: twirls!
gardenerjoy, I hope you enjoyed your alone time. I'm heading out for 5 days alone. It's a great feeling to be concentrating on healthy.
Cheryl(seadwaters), I look forward to your report later on. It looks like you have been able to honestly evaluate your current plan and know what to do. *credit*

Ok, I'm going to fix a veggie juice then decide my next step.

McKt
09-27-2010, 12:50 AM
Today completes day 7 of my healthy lifestyle. All in all it has a good week. I have done well with my portion sizes, *credit* and was able to fit some exercise in every day *credit* even it was a nice walk after dinner.

I am doing two weeks of the South Beach phase one as it really helps eliminate the carb cravings and to eliminate giant portion sizes that I am so fond of. I am a huge fan of bread and cheese and cheese and bread and not to forget the every so delicious red wine with that cheese and bread. I am hopeful that one day my relationship with the cheese, bread and wine will be such that I could have a slice a of bread and cheese, one glass of wine and be content and not fearful that I will have to have it all, walking away quite satisfied and proud.

Maryann, I am sending some good thoughts your way that finds you feeling great soon.

Seadwaters, Good for you for recognizing the need to monitor again before it all gets out of control. If I could eat without writing it down or having to be extremely aware of my portion sizes, I would probably not be on this website. The extra effort will well be worth the results.

BillBlueEyes, You are so lucky with your garden. I live in Northern California and we had such an awful summer that my garden got full of mold very early in the season. I lost everything except I still have 2 (the only 2) zucchini on the vine. Usually the neighbors start kindly refusing as I have passed so many out. I did get 3 heads of cauliflower and some radishes. Enjoy the tomatoes!

Lexxiss - Good luck on your travels

Woodland, I hope you are feeling a bit more relaxed today!

Beverlyjoy, Sounds like you took the healthy route on the snack. It may have been unplanned but I am sure it could have been a lot worse. I would love to hear how you make the roasted green beans. I tried it a few times and they either were burned to a crisp or soggy warm and not very enjoyable.

gardenerjoy, I hope you had a great day and came back feeling relaxed.

BillBlueEyes
09-27-2010, 04:33 AM
Diet Coaches/Buddies - Was a busy day but I did well with food all day - CREDIT moi (so far). All day, that is, until evening snack when I went double dipping into peanuts after my fruit. Ouch. Thinking about it, I was full of some sort of minor negative feelings. An evening meeting had a slight negative twist that I didn't resolve and my dinner had unexpectedly turned out to be light. Tomorrow is another day.

maryblu - Waving. The New England Patriots won. Vikings won. Let's agree to both call yesterday the first game of the rest of the season and move forward.

CeeJay - Good start for the day.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for a relaxing day, with Kudos for planning so thoroughly that you include sufficient gas that you don't stop where goodies might call your name. Hope it went well.

Beverlyjoy - Yay for three days in a row. I look forward to reading about your twirls - Big Kudos for the audacity and joy.

Cheryl (Seadwaters) - LOL at "don't need to measure your serves" - Yep, intuitive eating got me to my maximum size; I just can't get into believing that it would plan to reverse itself.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Kudos that "fix a veggie juice" is already part of your casual routine. Do you have a favorite yet? Yay for napping.

Woodland - Too many cantaloupes sounds good to me. Our community garden is too small for melons or squashes that tend to go reaching for all the sunlight. May you weather the arrival of fall.

maryann - Just loving your mantra, "I am enough." Kudos for raising an 8 year old boy who pops cherry tomatoes - yer did something right to get that. Emailing tomato soup to cure whatever's got you feeling sick. (I know chicken soup is what's recommended, but we're awash in tomatoes right now.)

McKt - There's something special about a walk after dinner. I have no information that it helps digestion or anything else to justify just how good it feels. Kudos for 7 days of your healthy lifestyle. Ouch for a moldy garden season, but then again, you can almost see Kalmath Falls from where you live - you are a bit north.

Readers - day 39
Keep Up with Exercise

When Claire came to see me, she was, as she put it, "completely out of shape." She had a sedentary job. Her favorite hobbies were watching TV, surfing the Internet, and reading. She didn't like to lay sports - never had. She told me that she knew for certain she just wasn't an exercise person. She said she was pretty weak, and she could never physically exert herself like other people. To compound matters, her stamina was very low and she suffered from back pain intermittently.

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 251.

GosfordGirl
09-27-2010, 05:57 AM
Hi Coaches
I stuck to plan today and logged all food - even the snack I had twice tonight. I am struggling with annoying computer problems and they made the weekend really difficult - it took me 3.5 hours to get the thing working on Saturday morning and today was spent with the IT guy trying to get it working again. I have brought it home turned on because I have so much work tonight I am afraid to turn it off in case it wakes up in a different profile!

Food does not ease stress, food does not ease... I am trying to convince myself

There is a workshop tomorrow for all of us academics (I am running/preparing it) and I checked what the food would be - carbohydrate for morning tea (scones, cakes etc), for lunch (sandwiches) and for afternoon tea (cheese and carbohydrate). I am on a very low carb diet and have no time to organise food at the moment - I am irritated and not responding well. What the **** - maybe it will stir up the sluggish metabolism and kick start it. I will do my best tomorrow

gardenerjoy
09-27-2010, 09:49 AM
I did what we call the "dam hill walk" yesterday -- walk to the dam of the lake, then up the next hill, and turn around to come back. Round trip is about 3.5 miles of hills on gravel road and it took me about 70 minutes which is as fast as I've ever done it. Much easier than I remembered. I still surprise myself with the reduced effort it takes to move fifty pounds less of me.

I'm off to a meeting of volunteers at the Missouri Botanical Garden to meet our new president. It's a big deal because the former president has been there something like 40 years and remains a pillar of the St. Louis area (also internationally in the areas of conservation and botany). We met the new president last week as donors and we're quite impressed given the big shoes he has to fill, so it will be fun to see him again in our other role at MBG.

WI: +0.15kg, Exercise: +80 1480/1800 minutes for September, Food: 80%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Hello all! Hope you have a great day!

Beverlyjoy
09-27-2010, 10:19 AM
Hi - yesterday was a healthy on plan day - I am so grateful (it's four days now).- We had company over for coffee yesterday morning ... DH got muffins and our friend brought Tim Hortens donut holes. We sat around the kitchen table talking. (actually, not my choice) I did not eat one bite of the goodies. Credit! I held my coffee cup in with both hands the entire time. And was willing to give the leftover goodies to the neighbor. YAY

Yesterday I made my plan and stayed with the whole thing as planned during the day. Credit! I am grateful for the willingness.

Lexxiss - hooray for bringing healthy alternative to all the goodies present at church! Safe travel to you, Debbie.

Seadwaters -I hear you on measuring. I have never been that great at ‘eyeballing’ the accurate and healthy amounts to eat. I guess sometimes we just need to do what we need to do. It is wonderful that you stuck to your plan when all the computer problem arose. Credit! It's easy to veer.

Billbe - I hate it when certain foods get to us for another nibble. Isn’t it funny how we often have that thought before hand something like this: “I really shouldn’t have or it’s Ok to have this, or this much won’t matter.” I have had the conversation many times. Credit to you for seeing it and wanting to not repeat tomorrow,

Mckt - hooray for seven days! - and making time for exercise and being closely aware of portion size. Is South Beach one of your two chosen food plans?

Here is the recipe for roasted green beans. I adapted Emeril's recipe by using half the extra virgin olive oil and using less salt. I extended the cooking time to closer to 20 minutes. I did use the parchment paper. Mine turn out with some dark roasted color and have the soft texture of a roasted veggie. If you read all the comments, folks tell many ways to change them up too. They are delish. I like them hot, room temp, and cold is yummy.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/oven-roasted-green-beans-recipe/index.html

Emeril's Roasted Green Bean recipe link above.

gardenerjoy - major credit for doing the dam hill walk and at a faster ti me. You are getting healthier and healthier...yay Credit for being OVER on your exercise numbers.

Have a great day.

MaryContrary
09-27-2010, 12:14 PM
Hello to my forum! And hello to all the new folks. This forum has changed my life, and not just in terms of the Beck plan. I also found it immensely comforting as I grapple with writing a dissertation.

I have had a few rough days. For one thing, it's been in the 110s, which just has me wilting like a flower. I do not handle this heat very well, especially transitioning into it! It makes me grumpy and I want to stomp around eating carrot cake and drinking cream soda. Unfortunately, I did too much of the former. My DSD is in a baking phase and my resistance thoughts just weren't working when it came to the cream-cheese frosted cake staring at me every time I opened the fridge.

But all of these issues were first exacerbated by a troubling eating-out event, that has me feeling both mad and ashamed. Long story short: I had a craving for curly fries (french fries are my extreme weakness!), I was insistent, DP and I went to our fav burger and curly fries place. They have high quality ingredients and we always share one meal. But we had never been to this place during the evening rush. It became clear that a) this was really a sports bar and b) if we weren't drinking tankards of beer, we were going to be ignored. It took close to 40 minutes to get our food, which we might have been able to understand if the food hadn't also been cold! So, my DP tried to make a complaint, and was treated with extreme disrespect, by a very aggressive manager with clear racist and homophobic issues. Needless to say, the evening was a disaster! DP and I were angry in different ways. We both felt sick about the event. And I felt guilty -- because, of course, if I hadn't had the craving, and caved to the craving, we wouldn't have been put in that position.

Thus began my two-day battle trying to let go of these feelings of guilt. The worst day was Saturday, when the heat (or emotional stress) triggered my allergies and I just huddled in bed for most of the day, eating unhealthy food and feeling sorry for myself.

Credit moi for getting back on track. I DID splurge yesterday with sweets, but I refused to eat out for both lunch and dinner, and settled with what I had at home. I also worked out -- 4 Fast Miles with interval training. Whew! Thank goodness for central air.

Confessing this traumatic incident to you guys is I think the last step in LETTING IT GO. Thanks for listening!

And wish me luck: my first full dissertation chapter is due this Thursday!

madrikh
09-27-2010, 04:11 PM
Hi all!
I agree with MaryContrary, this forum is helping me in so many ways, other than just my weight loss journey. Thank you everyone for your contributions:)

Credits:
-ate 90% OP yesterday
-45 minutes on TM AND 30 minute bike ride with DS (he likes to ride to a large church parking lot and race and play tag: Wheh!!)
-didn't beat myself up too badly for the bit of off-plan eating I did yesterday, but my tummy was over-full and NOT happy
-day 7 of New Medicine!!! And I am feeling good. I hope it lasts.
-checking in here, almost every day
-reading my Beck journal daily
-positive attitude about continuing to change and modify my eating and exercise
-put several diet books on reserve at the library

MaryContrary: I am sorry for the awful treatment you and DP received while eating out. Bleh. People can be pretty mean:?:

Keep up the effort everyone!

Marci

Lexxiss
09-27-2010, 07:12 PM
Hi Everyone:wave:

I made it over the hill with 1 bike, 2 dogs and 6 pumpkins. The dogs and I are in, the pumpkins will do fine in the car overnight. I've been OP all day and have my dinner ready to come out of the oven....I may be able to get back later.

MaryContrary, sending hugs your way! :hug: Take care, friend!

Marci(madrikh) Yay! for a bike ride!

Woodland
09-27-2010, 09:59 PM
I had a good exercise session today, then spent hours in the kitchen making 6 more pints of salsa. Will the tomatoes every slow down? Colorado has been exceptionally warm this September (90 during the day, 40s at night), so the garden is still pretty active.

Shhhh - don't tell anyone but I did a twirl in the kitchen just because ! :twirly:

McKt: :bravo: for your week of success !

BillBlueEyes: :flame: darn those negative feelings ! Good for recognizing them though.

seedwaters: :cp: Good luck tomorrow - be strong !

gardenerjoy: :^: Congrats for the excellent walk ! That's quite an accomplishment.

Beverlyjoy: :dancer: LOL at holding the coffee cup to keep from grabbing treats, and good for you for overcoming the challenge !

MaryContrary: :cheer3: for getting back on track ! You are among friends here. You reminded me how important it is to treat everyone with respect.

Madrikh: :book2: Credit for all the steps you are taking to be healthier. Your DS sounds like an excellent exercise partner ! I hope you found some good books to review from the library.

Lexxiss: :stir: What are you going to do with the pumpkins? I have about 15 in the garden right now and I've never prepared them before.

Woodland

McKt
09-27-2010, 11:52 PM
Today was a great eye opener….. I had taken the day off as a vacation day and had intended to do a few things around the house, catch up on some reading, do my Beck’s workbook, relax a bit and of course there was thirty minutes of exercise scheduled in there. I am an early riser so I can leisurely fit a decent amount into a day without any stress. (when I am not working and my teen is in school)

I eagerly completed my house stuff, did the workbook and funny thing is, the closer it got to go to the gym, I begin to physically feel really tired. Then the sabotaging negative voice started to take over. Wow, should have heard the excuses I was so desperately trying to create in order to get out of the 30 minute bike ride at the gym. I pulled out my response cards and read several over and over. This voice was so persistent it truly was exhausting! After about 45 minutes I gave in and went the gym (could have had the exercise over with at that point).

So as I was peddling away on the stationary bike I started laughing…. Good grief I finally found a way to shut that nagging voice up, as soon as the sabotaging voice starts up, immediately take the action you are trying to avoid. Simple as that, there is no fuel for the sabotaging voice to feed off of. Big credit to me today!

I hope you have a great day,
KAM

Beverlyjoy – I am so excited, thank you for the recipe!:chef:I cannot wait to try make them

BillBlueEyes – :flow2: Thank goodness for tomorrows… I hope you have a great day

Seedwaters - I hope your workshops went well and that your computer is treating you a bit better. Your right, food does not ease stress. :carrot:Keep on with that. For me food actually can cause some stress and who needs more of that?

Gardenjoy – :cp: Sounds like the dam walk was a great success! You should be very proud

MaryContray – Some people not only are just mean, they are ignorant and I am glad you did not let the rudeness take you on a food frenzy. Be strong and good luck with chapter one! :goodvibes

Madrikh – Strong work…:queen: Keep it up!
Woodland – Twirls are fun…. Keep on twirling….:cheer:

Lexxiss
09-28-2010, 04:13 AM
I got a few hours of sleep but I'm just excited about my Sis coming in this morning. She works at healthy eating, too, so food is always easy when she's around. I must say, my evening without hubby's junk food was very refreshing and stress free. I spent some time reflecting on that. Sometimes I get down on myself for my "lack of willpower", but recognized that it's difficult to stay strong with continuous evening crunching on the North end of the couch.lol *credit* to myself for noticing.

BillBlueEyes, I really appreciate when you discuss the underlying feelings you have which trigger unplanned eating. It helps me identify mine. I hope your Monday was better...guess I'll find out soon. My fav juice so far is apple, 1 carrot, spinach and ginger. Usually I just toss in whatever needs to be used up first and some are better than others.

KAM(McKt), a very interesting observation about your sabotaging thoughts leaving as soon as you started exercising. Perhaps the more you just move into action the easier it will get to "just do it". *credit* for getting yourself to the gym, despite the voice telling you not to. BTW-are you going to go into Phase 2-SBD? I like the way I feel OP with SBD.

Woodland, it's really fun to have a coach in Colorado! It has really been nice. Our tomatoes are still going crazy, too. I looked back to last year and we had tomatoes until first snow, Oct.30. I slice and steam all my pumpkins and then puree them. I freeze the puree in quart boxes because the experts say it should only be jarred and sealed with a pressure canner, and I only use water bath. I use it for soups, breads and pies all year long. I pull a quart out at a time, let it thaw a bit, then put it into smaller containers, refreezing what I don't need.

Marci(madrikh), I think weight loss is about a lot of other personal and environmental factors, and these forums help me in other areas of my life, too. BTW-what food type of food plan do you follow? And what kind of healthy food interests you? I was going to look through my Moosewood Cookbooks today.

MaryContrary, Carrot Cake is my all time favorite and I've posted a healthy version. http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/desserts-phase-2/183848-carrot-cake-agave-nectar.html. After I bake, it becomes about planning and portion control. Back to your other subject-there are lots of eating establishments that aren't great during certain times of the day. PLEASE don't be ashamed….to me, that is a very debilitating word. *credit* for getting back on track. :goodluck: with your dissertation chapter.

Beverlyjoy, major *credit* for vigilance and willingness staying on plan. Holding your coffee cup with both hands seems like a very successful technique. I think donuts are one of the top foods for sending a person back into a feeding frenzy. One helpful thought I have is that staying OP is a major boost to my immune system....which I believe helps with my medical issues. When we travelled last week, I remembered the panic I used to have when I left the comfort of home. My BP was so high, I feared having a stroke. The chances for health improve for me every day that I make "a better food choice".

gardenerjoy, dam good job with exercise! lol You reminded me I need to update my exercise minutes.

Cheryl(seadwaters), sometimes we have to just do our best and I think it's important to recognise it. I had an event several weeks ago that it just didn't work to bring my own food and in retrospect I was so glad I didn't try. Drat for all the stress right now! Perhaps you could find some guidance by reading Day 37 Reduce Stress. I just reread it...and got a little spontaneous exercise by going downstairs to retreive my book.

BillBlueEyes
09-28-2010, 04:56 AM
Diet Coaches/Buddies - Busy but productive work day, CREDIT moi. Wrestled with a computer for the role of Alpha Male and finally won, at least in a small way, at least temporarily. But this monster certainly has more tricks up its sleeve. Enjoyed my morning snack of dry roasted, unsalted soy nuts, CREDIT moi. Hope that I never tire of them since they so satisfy me now.

Did gym - CREDIT moi - actually kinda hoping that it would rain on me just for fun on my walk home as I was appropriately Gore Tex'ed. FREE samples of Bear Naked granola with no added salt or sugar. All the benefits of FREE food and all I had to do was put it in my pocket for later.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Kudos for personal best time on your "dam hill walk." Was reading David David Attenborough's Private Lives of Plants yesterday and finally got it through my brain why orchids are so special. This botany stuff continues to boggle the mind of this outsider. My thanks to the Mycorrhizal that serves us all with such little recognition.

Beverlyjoy - Sitting at the kitchen table without indulging in the common snack is a big deal; Kudos.

Cheryl (Seadwaters) - Yay for a workshop for a fresh distraction. Ouch for "I am running/preparing it." May you survive and enjoy. Standing beside you fighting the computer irritations.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - OP and six pumpkins - not a bad day.

Woodland - LOL at the menagerie of smileys. Just love the thought of 6 more pints prepared for the winter.

Marci (madrikh) - Yay for "30 minute bike ride with DS" - that does sound like fun. Kudos for continuing on your new prescription to give it a chance to work.

MaryContrary - What an awful experience - just when we think some progress is being made against the phobic's and the ism'ists, one just appears in real life. Kudos for working it through so that you are "LETTING IT GO." It might be useful to find some snappy Healthy Response to push back on guilt in the neurons starting immediately, since, short of shooting somebody, guilt is rarely relevant or useful. Sending supportive thoughts for having to cross paths with that stuff.

McKt - What a neat strategy - just counter the Sabotaging Thought and remove its fuel. Love it. Kudos for simple and effective.

Readers - day 39
Keep Up with Exercise

As I do with all dieters I counsel, I told Claire about the benefits of exercise and suggested she start with just 10 to 15 minutes a day. She resisted, asking, "Can't I lose weight without exercising?" I continued to discuss with her the research about exercise and weight loss and maintenance. She grudgingly agreed to try walking fro 10 to 15 minutes, at least four times a week.

gardenerjoy
09-28-2010, 09:52 AM
We went out to lunch unexpectedly and early. I ordered soup and salad. I never do that because I was convinced that it wouldn't be satisfying to me. But it was! And delicious, too -- the soup of the day was roasted red pepper bisque. Yum! I'll be doing a lot more soup and salad, I think.

WI: -0.15kg, Exercise: +75 1555/1800 minutes for September, Food: 80%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

MaryContrary: There's nothing that triggered cravings worse for me than giving into one and then having it be disappointing in some way -- and I never had an attempt go as badly awry as yours did. I'm so sorry about that. And I'm glad to see you back here, ready to get going again! Consistency is more important than perfection on this journey.

BillBlueEyes: the new director was asked about orchids. He confessed that he hasn't got the "disease" that orchid enthusiasts have, but he's really into conservation so he gets most excited about the ones with little obscure flowers that are still being discovered in areas where they are threatened. But he also acknowledged that the showy hybrid ones help to bring in crowds, and their money helps support the conservation efforts. He seemed to have an excellent grasp of the balance between display garden and research institution that is the heart of all that is both good and complicated about the Missouri Botanical Garden.

Hello to all! I'm off to volunteer at the Garden today!

Beverlyjoy
09-28-2010, 10:35 AM
Hi Becksters, coaches - it happened! Another healthy day for me. (five days) I am so grateful. I even did my stretches and strengthening moves.

I know I must be doing ‘better’ because I am posting a little more at the 100 pound forum. too. During my health crisis the I posted a here sometimes. I posted In the 100 pound forum at the the accountability thread when I made a food plan. But, I don’t think I missed many days posting at the Daily Gratitude thread (at 100 pound forum). Knowing that I always insisted to myself that I post to the daily gratitudes thread kept me connected in many ways. I’ve probably mentioned before that , for twelve years, I have written down five things daily for which I am grateful. It can put life into perspective. There were days I could hardly think of anything - but, I always did. Is it silly to say that I am grateful for my daily gratitude’s. I think it anchored me and helped me from totally running away from 3fc.

plan/log/measure/count my calories - all the time
lots of water - yes
stretches and strengthening - yes, (don’t faint)
Spontaneous exercise - yes, 5 twirls - I am counting these
eat seated only - most of the time
no seconds - all the time
fork down between bites - some of the time
slow mindful eating - a lot of the
taste the food - some of the time
journal - only calories
remember why - yes
meditation - no
Arc/rc/beck - no

Have a great day.

MaryContrary
09-28-2010, 12:03 PM
I truly appreciate all the genuinely kind and strong words . . . y'all have brought tears to my eyes, over my morning coffee! Grateful tears for wonderful friends.

I am rushing off to the library -- the chapter deadline approaches -- and though I have revised my concept of what "done" should be (during a diss drafting phase, "done" cannot be "perfect," but simply done-for-the-moment), there is still a lot to do. Plus, darn it, an appointment at the DMV this afternoon. Grrr.

I got back on track with a bang yesterday. Did another Four Fast Miles with intervals, because I love the healthy exhaustion it gives me. I like it when other things kick my butt, rather than just me kicking my own butt. I ate OP, though it was an entirely mental plan. I tried my hand at making some Singapore Chicken Rice (like an Asian version of arroz con pollo) and resisted seconds! The combination of soy sauce, fresh ginger, fresh cilantro, garlic, red pepper -- ahhhh! Can't wait to have it this evening.

Thanks for the recipes, for urging me to avoid the word "shame," for reminding me that most people are good people. Have a wonderful day in your parts of the world! :grouphug:

GosfordGirl
09-28-2010, 08:03 PM
Good morning Coaches
Yesterday's workshop went well - my morning session was productive and everyone was collegial and great work was done. Nice. And the afternoon session given by a visitor was full of useful ideas.

Food definitely didn't go so well - way too hard to doing anything remotely resembling a plan. Tonight I have a late night info evening and another workshop day tomorrow. I will just get through the next few days the best I can. Not sure if I should avoid weighing myself - but probably should

MaryContrary - yay for back on plan - and your chicken dish sounds delish. Shame is what the other guy should be feeling

Beverlyjoy - 5 days on plan! That is progress. You have had a struggle but have hung on. It is good to read about how you did that.

gardenerjoy - Soup and salad - my favourite things. Thanks for reminding me. Even though it is getting warm there is still time.

BillBlueEyes - I wish somebody at work felt invested enough to want to wrestle my computer into submission. It is driving me nuts. Takes 40 minutes to wake up and about 20 to shut down. It is searching for something it isn't finding. Indeed my "monster certainly has more tricks up its sleeve" - I am just waiting to see what they are. Kudos for taking all your roles (moderator, maintainer, bloke, partner) so seriously

Lexxiss - Have a great visit with your sister - so good she is into healthy eating. I enjoy your thoughtful and wise contributions - they keep me thinking. Credit for sitting sharing a couch with a snacker with equanimity and forbearance - resisting would be difficult

McKt - great response to sabotaging voices - just ignore em and do it anyway! Good point - it is far less exhausting than ambivalence

I had better keep moving and earn my keep

Have a good day Beckies

Cheryl
----------

McKt
09-28-2010, 11:12 PM
Greetings to my fellow Beck Buddies,
I am pleased to report today was a successful and uneventful day. Smooth sailing all the way. I ate OP, I exercised as scheduled, did my workbook and now I am posting for the night. All good!

Lexxiss – Enjoy the visit with your sister. I will go into Phase 2 on SBD for awhile. I do love the way I feel, more energy, no cravings. The problem I run into is that I have yet to be successful as there is a bit too much deprivation with some of my favorite foods. Perhaps this time it will be different as I am determined to live by the Beck’s Solution. Or if I get to the point that it is too difficult to stay OP I will go to a more variety but calorie aware program.

Beverlyjoy – Keep up the good work, you are on a roll!

BillBlueeyes – Looks like you got your rain… Hey did you try the samples of [FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Bear Naked granola with no added salt or sugar? Curious how good it was or not…

GardenerJoy – I agree on the soup. It just doesn’t feel like it would be enough yet it does stick with you and can be very satisfying. Plus it is such an easy way to get a lot of veggies into a fulfilling meal with very low calories. Way to go on the healthy food choices

MaryContrary– I hope you survived the DMV… I too live in California and recently had to endure a few trips to the DMV. Stay strong!

Wishing you all a successful day!

BillBlueEyes
09-29-2010, 04:45 AM
Diet Coaches/Buddies - Had another major success against the Monster Computer in the fight to the death. CREDIT moi for perseverance, although, truth be told, even though I complain, I love this work.

Absolute downpour when I came home from work, so I did no exercise. Tomorrow is another day.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for soup and salad. What did you do about the bread that seems to come with that? [LOL at, " "disease" that orchid enthusiasts have."]

Beverlyjoy - I find myself looking forward to reading about your twirls, "5 twirls" - Kudos.

Cheryl (Seadwaters) - Congrats for running and then enjoying a good workshop. Ouch that food didn't go as well; I, too, am still working on walking and chewing gum at the same time, but I'm hopeful.

MaryContrary - Ain't it so, "done" cannot be "perfect," in real life as well as dissertations. I'm also working on that one.

McKt - Kudos for "successful and uneventful" - seems like that's what we're after.

Readers - [B]day 39
Keep Up with Exercise

When Claire returned for her next session, she reported that she'd walked four times but tht she didn't like it. When I asked her what had gone through her mind before she left for her walks, she said, "I was thinking, I really, really don't want to go ... I'd rather stay home and watch TV." During her walks, she had more sabotaging thoughts, such as, This is boring ... Why do I have to do this? After her walks, she'd say negative things to herself: I didn't like that. Besides, it was just a drop in the bucket! What good is 10 minutes of exercise? I don't want to keep on doing it.

No wonder Claire had never exercised consistently in the past! Her sabotaging thoughts kept getting in her way.

Lexxiss
09-29-2010, 08:07 AM

Yesterday was a sane food day, although unplanned, due to circumstances. Lunch was at Whole Foods *credit* for speaking up when my Mom was suggesting Cheesec. Factory. I mentioned I would prefer a lunch spot which had better choices for my food plan.It is one of those places where the aroma of all things bad really kickstarts cravings. I got home late, and had my dinner in stages. I really thought, is this ok….Decided, ok.*credit* It is nice to have a break from the role as chef and waitress. Went to bed early. I contemplated my plan for today last evening and decided I would stick close to home, get chores done AND go to a land aerobics class instead of shopping and eating w/Mom and Sis. *credit* for thinking of exercise.

BillBlueEyes, I pondered at your mention of your dry roasted, unsalted soy nuts, and your satisfaction with them. I think that one of the great things about long term success with food sanity is that we FIND things that are satisfying for the long haul because our tastes have changed. My daily sprinkling of salted and spicy Thai trail mix on my salad is a continual source of enjoyment and I almost never touch them otherwise. (snickering because I did enjoy a small portion last night as a before dinner snack)

KAM(McKt), Yay for smooth sailing! Have you researched the glycemic response to the non-approved foods. Once I did, I realized why they are not on the P2 list, and came to peace with that. Others do find that occasional, planned consumption works fine, too.

Beverlyjoy, :whirly: Great job! You are working very hard at this right now and the results are making a difference. *credit* I agree, one good habit that can keep you connected to 3FC can be a lifesaver. I check in every single day with the gals at the SBD forum.

Cheryl(seadwaters), I, too, enjoy your thoughtful and wise contributions. Thank you for the compliment. I hope these workshops and associated food pass quickly and that you are able to jump back onto your plan.

MaryContrary, Yay! For getting back on track with a bang! It is such a great strategy for success. Loved your recipe idea, too. Yes, I agree, most people are good people. The hard part is that you never know when and where the problem children are going to appear in your life.

gardenerjoy, yum, soup and salad...and satisfying, too. I eat more soup at home, and have it in my brain it would not be as satisfying when eating out. I will remember the next time I am perusing a menu.

Have a great day, everyone! Thanks for being here!

gardenerjoy
09-29-2010, 11:08 AM
My weight loss has stalled. But I'm okay with that. I've just finished reading The Step Diet Book by James O. Hill, et. al. They advocate losing for 12 weeks, then maintaining for many weeks or months before going into a losing phase again. Even though I haven't done that, it makes sense to me. I lost weight rapidly over the summer and I'm fine with maintaining or losing slowly through the rest of the year. If I'm not at goal at the New Year, it will be fun to start a new phase of losing during resolution season.

What I'm having some trouble with is accepting how little food that I can eat while maintaining weight loss. I've known all along that I can't eat the way I did, but I've had to readjust about four times my notion of what I can eat the rest of my life to maintain the weight loss. And since I'm not even at goal weight yet, that's probably going to have to be adjusted at least once more.

The only thing that's helped, so far, is realizing that I have mis-remembered my eating during my skinny teenage years. I've been remembering lately all of the fat-filled after school snacks and the many restaurant meals. What I have forgotten is that I ate the same breakfast 7 days a week and it probably was under 300 calories. And, I ate the same lunch 5 or 6 days a week and it was probably just over 300 calories. So, it's not at all unreasonable that I would have routinely ate 800-1000 calories between getting home from school and bedtime. Especially since I was fairly athletic.

I'd love to hear more responses to the whiny sabotaging thought that it's all well and good to limit my food intake while I was losing weight, but it's not fair that I have to keep adjusting downwards what it's going to take to maintain the weight loss.

WI: +0.45kg, Exercise: +95 1650/1800 minutes for September, Food: 70%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Beverlyjoy: yay for 5 good days in a row! And I love that you're grateful for your gratitudes!

MaryContrary: glad things are back on track -- Singapore Chicken Rice sounds wonderful!

seadwaters: good job continuing to post even when things aren't going quite the way they need to -- we'll help you get back on trac when you get back to having more control.

McKt: yay for successful and uneventful days -- my favorite kind!

BillBlueEyes: hope you're getting that computer tamed

Lexxiss: yay for Whole Foods over Cheesecake Factory and for speaking up for your needs!

RobinW
09-29-2010, 11:18 AM
:wave: quick post between meetings!

All is well!

Bill~ yes it does :)

Shepherdess
09-29-2010, 12:17 PM
I’ve been struggling with general fatigue for a few days. It’s been hard to get motivated to exercise. I’ve stuck with walks and yoga, just to keep up the exercise routine. Eating has been pretty good. Yesterday every time I sat down to eat I just wanted to keep eating when the food was gone. I didn’t, but it’s a little annoying to have that urge. Oh well, I guess I can’t stop those negative thoughts from entering my head, but it’s more important that I don’t give in to them. Extra credit for resisting since DH was gone last night, gathering cows on the mountain.

RobinW, I would love to take one of your social networking classes! I’m just getting a wool business running—marketing wool to spinners, knitters, and felters and other natural fibers crafters. I think being smarter about new media would help me so much! I’m so impressed that you’ve been doing this since 1997. That’s like, before Facebook!

Madrikh, re: Moosewood cookbook recommendations (from a few days ago): Verycheesy Casserole (even my carnivore DH loves it!), Carrot-Mushroom Loaf, Whole Wheat macaroni-Russian Style, Zucchini-Feta Pancakes, Cauliflower Marrananca. That’s probably enough for now.

Welcome McKt! Kudos for making the commitment to say goodbye to those extra lbs forever. Great job recognizing how sabotaging that “all-or-nothing” mentality is. There are a number of us here who struggle with it.

Seadwaters, I think we’re joining you in ridiculously warm weather. We’re still having days in the 70s and 80s (I don’t know what that is in C). We usually have had at least one snow by now. I’m not complaining. It’s just odd. Sending supportive thoughts while you get through the next few days the best way you can.

Gardenerjoy, congrats on doing the “dam hill walk” with ease! LOL at “it will be fun to start a new phase of losing during resolution season.” I don’t know that I’ve ever heard someone describe starting a diet as “fun.”

Beverlyjoy, congrats for 5 days in a row OP. I love the idea of holding the coffee mug with both hands to keep them from straying to forbidden food.

MaryContrary, yikes for staring down carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. I couldn’t do it. Sending hugs to you and a certain gesture to an aggressive manager. Your cravings are in no way responsible for someone’s racism/homophobic and downright rude behavior.

BillBE, ouch for downpour sabotaging your exercise—I don’t think wrestling with a computer counts. Maybe you could send some rain our ways. We’ve had a dry spell.

Lexxiss, great job speaking up and going somewhere healthy for lunch. Yay for getting to bed early!

Waving to everyone else!

madrikh
09-29-2010, 01:20 PM
Hi All!
A quick check-in...
I think I missed yesterday's check-in; not sure what happened. Probably the single-parenting thing since DH is travelling.

Yesterday's WI was 161.4, which is a nice number! But today: 163.4 WTH??
REMINDER: it's just a number.

Credits: planning my exercise and food each day; staying 90% OP; exercising 6 days a week, and pushing myself; Day 9 -I think- on new medication; getting out of bed w/o hitting the snooze button; persevering, even though I am still angry about this mystery weight gain (not today's, but the 12 pounds I gained in 6 weeks, last fall).

Thank you for the Moosewood ideas: and I think Lexxis asked... I am GF, and always trying to eat more veggies. The whole family loves Mexican and Italian and Asian. I can easily sub GF pastas. :smug:

My IBS is flared up, so I'm kind of grouchy about that:mad:

Best!
Marci

maryann
09-29-2010, 03:28 PM
Cheers from the recovery room. My illness seems to have left the building. All that is here is irritating tiredness. I was reading in the green book ( Ihave finsihed the pink book and ordered green from Amazon) that I must check in everyday with weight fluctuations.I don't know about that. Maybe the ticker does the job. My scale at home is from 1950s and excels in approximation. I weigh once a week at the gym using a digital scale. For now, I am just checking in daily on llife- not nec. my weight. CREDIT. Being sick, I had to adjust the best I could - keeping the the ratios of the zone (40 carb/30 prot / 30 fat) but not writing food down. I was sick to my stomach and couldn't plan. Credit for not using it as an excuse to go way overboard on carbs. Looking to a weekend wedding and planning to be more rigid.
seadwaters: it is amazing you're even checking in at a workshop.
beverlyjoy: I second everyone when they congrats you for putting some time together OP. No harder place than getting back on track. It is difficult to quiet the mind.
McKt: I try never to take smooth for granted although I always seem to take credit for it and then I get cocky. Good for you for riding the wave.
LexxissI second your response to Bill. Finding new favorite foods helps me say "No." to things unplanned. I tell myself, "Your favorite food is waiting around the corner in just a few hours. "
garderjoy: I wonder how little I will eat as well.It makes me worried and very hungry. I can't help mentioning how impressed I am at your weightloss to date. You should be very proud of yourself.
BBE: Just a shout out, "hello."

GosfordGirl
09-29-2010, 04:38 PM
Hi Coaches

Quick check in before another workshop day - hoping that a quick read through your posts and some quiet reflection will reduce the off plan eating.

I defeated the computer beast last night. I cut off its supply of internet as it booted up and it did it in record time. Then I flicked on the internet and all was well. Who'd have thought

Have a good day Beckies

_________
Cheryl

Beverlyjoy
09-29-2010, 05:39 PM
Hi Becksters… Tuesday was a healthy on plan day - I am grateful. I had many twirls in the kitchen. I am one that always wears flouncy skirts and dresses. So they really twirl! Fun. Today I went to the doctor’s office & walked past the bowl of lollipops. Credit (and a mental twirl).

The dermatologist said that my skin surface has no open wounds or irritations. YAY The said most of the scars will fade with time. Glad they are on my tummy. He gave me the go ahead to have the foot/ankle surgery. I will see the surgeon on Friday and we will figure it out the day. I am thinking it will be Oct. 12 or 19. This has been quite an ordeal. The doc and I kind of laughed about it - that we have had quite a summer.

Several times yesterday I used several resistance techniques. I am grateful for the willingness. It’s almost a week of food sanity. YAY I had 5 twirls at least.

Mary contrary - I totally understand how crazy life can be when finishing up your dissertation. My sister went nuts. Many credits for using some of the Beck techniques - plus getting in exercise and healthy meals. You can do it!

Seadwaters - you sound busy and harried with so much going on. All you can do is make the best choices. Glad you defeated that dumb computer!!

Mckt - well done and kudo’s for having such a healthy day. It’s what we long for when learning to live healthfully with food.

Billbe - that darn computer monster! Sorry about not getting to do your exercise. My doctor once said…when it’s raining go up and down the stairs ten times. (or whatever number he said…don’t remember exactly)

Lexxiss - I think Whole Foods has terrific take out/or eat there food. Glad you could get to a place with good choices.

Gaardnerjoy - phooey on WL stalls! In response to your sabotaging thought of having to continually change the amount you eat to keep weight loss going and maintaining. Response? Like that song..’You can’t always get what you want…..but, you get what you need” Or should say - get what you need because it’s worth it to plan and find the way to make it work.

Robinw - Hi…glad you checked in.

Shepardess - you are really living so much Beck. Oh well, not giving in to negative thoughts, exercise when you really don’t feel like, good food choices, & especially cause DH wasn’t there. Pat yourself on the back.

Madrikh - sometimes it’s so hard to accept that number on the scale. Remember - It’s just one moment in time effected by: food in (days before), energy expended, water, hormones, body functions and more. It can fluctuate.

Maryann - so sorry you are dealing with your stomach stuff so much. Yes, it’s hard to make a plan when you just don’t know what you or your tummy will tolerate. Glad you are feeling a bit better.

McKt
09-29-2010, 11:47 PM
Today was a bit of a challenge, although I managed to eat OP, but did not get any exercise in. Credit due, I made sure I had a healthy snack in my bag at all times and a bottle of water in hand. I had just a few minutes stop by home and whip up a healthy beef and broccoli dinner and take it on the run with me. Not the ideal eating situation but it far outweighs the fast food option.
I have a food rule = NO food past 8:00pm period. It really helps me plan my daily meals because I know I have to be done by eight so there is no skipping or having a late dinner. This seems to keep me aware of what and when I am eating. All in all it was just one hectic day and I am so happy to sit back with my cup of tea and check in with my fellow Beck’sters.

Shepherdess – I hope you get your energy back soon. Good for you exercising and for not giving in to the wants of ongoing eating. I had been struggling with a chronic illness that just zapped my energy and all I wanted to do was eat and eat in hopes that I would feel like I had more energy. All I got was twenty plus pounds added on. Give yourself a bunch of credits, credit is due!

Beverlyjoy – Big kudos for passing up those lollipops AND for another healthy eating day! Wow your surgery could be coming up soon. Good luck with the next Dr appt.

Seadwaters – Glad you checked in…. Good news that the computer is behaving.

Maryann - Good for you for not going crazy on the carbs! Sending some positive and healthy thoughts your way!

Madrikh - You’ve been doing an awesome job staying OP. Those 2 pounds may not be actual weight gain… You are doing the right things, long term it will payoff.

BBE - Yay for perservence!

Lexxiss – Giant kudos for you. Lots of great decisions and seeing them through. Cheesecake Factory vs. Whole Fods Yay!

RobinW
09-30-2010, 12:03 AM
:wave: Im back :)

a more relaxed sane check in. Today was a whirlwind of activity that started very early (for me) Days like today are always very hard to plan my food. Especially when meetings are breakfast and lunch meetings. Then getting caught in the parking lot chatting for another 1/2 hour. The hunger gets so bad that Im beside myself.

So....do I carry food in the car? Or do I plan better. Ok, Im typing outloud......I need to plan better. Because food in the car will just get eaten.

Beverlyjoy! Love the twirls!!! and the mental twirls while walking past the lollipops!!! Kudos to you!!

Maryann~ hopefully the tiredness eases soon! Kudos for curbing the carbs during the last little while.

Marci~ I hope the IBS has calmed down :(

Shepherdress~ its so hard to get motivated to get exercise in. But when Im feeling soooooo lethargic I make myself go for a 20 min walk. Thats it, if Im still feeling tired, I quit. But sometimes it really energizes me!! Sometimes it doesnt...but at least I know I put my 20 min and stop feeling guilty about it.
The types of hands on classes I teach seem to be rare. Send me a pm if you'd like more info. But if you have a fan page already, and you'd like me to look at it...send me the link.

Some of you may remember the stress I had been under when the expansion of my business really took off? It got so bad that I was making myself physically ill. Well....I found someone who was able to knock down all those mental barriers in my head that I kept putting up in my own way. The best piece of advice she gave me, was to remember that "I am worthy and deserving!" Ive applied this to every aspect of my life. Im not sure about the men, but women tend to think of themselves last. The kids, the husband, the job comes first. We never think that its ok to be selfish and to take care of ourselves. But we are worthy and deserving of that same care we give others. I just wanted to share. Think on that.

BillBlueEyes
09-30-2010, 04:24 AM
Diet Coaches/Buddies - It was a successful day wrestling with the computer. CREDIT moi for earning a living. A late afternoon medical appointment put me in rush hour traffic on the way home - big Ugh! It's easy for me to see how difficult it would be to maintain a positive attitude in life with a rush hour commute. Gym didn't happen. Looking forward to making it today.

Robin (RobinW) - LOL at "typing outloud." Love the simple and straightforward, "I am worthy and deserving!"

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Ouch for the realization that your food needs seem small - I found that annoying myself. I just loved The Step Diet book for its simplicity - if you're gaining, just cut out a quarter of your current dinner, including cutting a quarter out of your hamburger. I don't do it that way, but was moved by the notion that one simply decreases their current diet if gaining - Duh! Also liked seeing calories expressed in a different number of steps for different weight people. Initially it seemed so unfair that the exercise benefits of walking a mile decreased as I lost weight, but I finally accepted that.

Shepherdess - Thanks for the clarity of your reminder, "I can’t stop those negative thoughts from entering my head, but it’s more important that I don’t give in to them." [Enclosed find half of yesterday's downpour; we didn't need the full 1.0 inch that fell in one day.]

Beverlyjoy - Yay for winning with the skin. Yep, you've had quite a ride this summer.

Cheryl-the-Geek (Seadwaters) - Congrats for figuring out to deprive your computer of its Internet fuel to force it to boot and shutdown reasonably. It's hard to believe that whatever it's looking for is in your best interests.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - It's a big deal to speak up for yourself and go to Whole Foods instead of the Caloriecake Factory; Kudos. [Gotta try me some "spicy Thai trail mix."]

Marci (madrikh) - Noting your "persevering" and "w/o hitting the snooze button" - Kudos for moving forward. Wishing you success in getting rid of that anger for the mysterious 12 pound gain; I frequently find myself thwarted until I recognize, name, and then dissipate whatever mysterious anger is blocking me.

maryann - Yay for a scale that "excels in approximation" for reminding you that it's just a number. And Yay for owning something of 1950 vintage - I love the memory that we used to buy some things once, for life. Have fun at the wedding.

McKt - Kudos for facing the challenge of "just one hectic day" while staying on-plan with your food. We both need to find a way to exercise during hectic days. [Had my Bear Naked granola; it was OK. Since there's a bunch of calories in granola, I have this need to love it in order to be really happy.]

Readers - day 39
Keep Up with Exercise

Like, Claire, you might also resist exercise, because you don't like it, you're too busy or stressed, or you have a physical problem. You know the benefits of both planned and spontaneous exercise, but are you still exercising? Have you, over time, increased the amount of exercise? Is exercising still near the top of your priority list? Do you have a positive attitude toward exercise?

Beverlyjoy
09-30-2010, 09:29 AM
Hi Beck folks: Yesterday was mostly great. - I am grateful for all the healthy choices and approaches. I did eat extra cereal before bed. I put on my 'eat when I am stressed hat' when I found out that my son has fibromyalgia. It's rare in men but, the symptoms are like a laundry list of how he has been feeling for quite a while. It's good to know what it is and how he can live with it and lessen the symptoms. As a mom, I wish I had a magic wand to fix it.

During the day, I was willing to use many resistance techniques and had many twirls cooking without tasting. Credit.

Tomorrow I will see the Orth. Surgeon to discuss surgery, etc.

plan/log/measure/count my calories - all the time
lots of water - yes
stretches and strengthening - yes,
Spontaneous exercise - yes, 6 twirls
eat seated only - most of the time
no seconds - all the time
fork down between bites - some of the time
slow mindful eating - a lot of the
taste the food - some of the time
journal - food/calories/beck tasks - yes
remember why - yes, then no
meditation - no
Arc/rc/beck - yes

Billbe - ugh on all that traffic. Too bad we can't do exercises while we drive (probably a law against it lol) So glad work went well. I hope you get a chance to get your exercise in today.

Robin - your busy busy day with meetings including food are so challenging, indeed. Sounds like the lightbulb went on about planning more. Credit! Your friend's advice: "I am worthy and deserving!" is so good to remember. It should /could be a mantra for us all as we go through life. Thanks for sharing this.

Mckt - many credits to you! You really had a great 'Beck day'. All the planning really paid off. Well done.

Have a great day everyone.

gardenerjoy
09-30-2010, 10:23 AM
I'm unaccountably sad that Tony Curtis died. I realize a few years ago that I get sad when someone my mother liked dies, since she's not here to get sad over it. A suitable way to honor my mother, I think.

WI: +0.35kg, Exercise: +75 1725/1800 minutes for September, Food: 80%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes: I forgot to say yesterday what I did with my bread that came with the soup and salad. I took a nibble, decided it wasn't worth a starch exchange and left both it and the croutons on my plate.
I liked the Step Diet, too, because it was different than the way I approached it and, yet, seemed very workable. It's something I can tell people when they say "I can't cook all day like you do to lose weight." I think that, ultimately, most people who lose weight and keep it off change both how much they eat and what they eat. I started with changing what I eat (which may be why I'm still struggling with acceptance for the amount), but it seems just as valid to start with how much a person eats. I suspect most people would eventually reach the conclusion that a big salad from home is more satisfying than 3/4 of a Big Mac.

Beverlyjoy: Thanks so much for reminding me of my favorite Rolling Stones lyric. I've been singing it (and dancing to it) all morning and I feel ever so much better! That is always such a comforting thought to me.
Glad you're finally making progress toward your surgery. Does it seem like your less worried about the surgery now that you've gone through all this over the summer? It seems like it to me. Not that it's a silver lining that was worth all of the trouble, but it's something.
Sorry about your son's diagnosis but glad that he now has new knowledge which will give him a way to approach making things better.

Shepherdess: hope you're feeling more energetic today. Good job with the resistance when it's extra hard because DH isn't there.

madrikh: yay for all of your credits! And for realizing the one-day jump is just a number on the scale.

maryann: glad your symptoms have waned and wishing you more energy today, too, along with Shepherdess.

seadwaters: good job continuing to check in during your busy time. I think that's key. Probably more important than keeping up with the daily weigh-ins, because this will be what gets you back on track when things get less busy.

McKt: Good job staying OP on a hectic day! And putting in the effort that it took to do it.

RobinW: credit for typing out loud -- one of the most useful aspects of posting here for me!

maryann
09-30-2010, 12:10 PM
Good Morning, I am feeling much better today. Yesterday was another marathon day. I look at the typos in my last message and smile. I had finished the first draft and before I could edit was called away and knew I wouldn't be back to the keyboard. I had to decide whether to send it messy and flawed or not send it at all. Credit! Best choice. It is better to tell the messy truth rather than keep a silent "seemingly flawless" aloneness. Carbs become my only friends in a lonely silence.
beverlyjoy: when you wrote "magic wand" it hit me between the eyes. A great deal of my energy everyday is spent looking through my satchel purse for that wand that will fix everyone I love.
McKT: the dirty little truth for me is that sometimes all I have is OP car eating. I have to let it go and minimize the number of times it occurs. I have a husband in harvest, an 8 yr with music lessons, and a very intense job. I put all my time into WHAT I eat, not necess. where I eat.
Robin: talking to people is such a time blackhole. I know it is important to connect but it does set me off track.
BBE: traffic story. Two years graduate school traveling the two most crowded freeways in the world - the 405 and the 110 to UCLA. It scarred me for life. I had to leave SoCaL and marry a farmer in NoCal who farms 2000 acres so that I only had to compete with three cars and a tractor for road space.
gardernerjoy:I understand about the impact of celebrity news. I am middle age now, the downside of the hill and there are fewer and fewer people in my life who knew me "when". How precious the memories we share become! I still have my folks but DH has lost both. He is still reaching for the phone to call his dad about checking the rice or his mom, who was a nurse, to ask about DS's fever. Hand on the receiver, he will tear up.

madrikh
09-30-2010, 03:51 PM
Hello everyone. Thanks once again for all the encouraging posts. Even "mistakes" and recoveries are heartening to me.

Well, here I go...
Credits:
-ate OP yesterday, except for 1 cookie
-stopped after my off-plan eating and got back on track (better a 200 calorie mistake than a 2000 calorie!)
-exercise
-spent time on the phone that I didn't really have, with a friend in need
-planning each day's schedule, food and exercise
-found a used Beck Workbook for my DD, in perfect condition
-put the Beck green book on reserve at the library, so I can move beyond my plan of planning ahead and portion control.
-WI: 161.8

I am making a list of Moosewood recipes to try:hug: Thanks for the suggestions.

Question: I am struggling with writing down what I eat IMMEDIATELY after eating. Does anyone have practical ideas for doing this? Right now, I am using the Beck workbook, but it isn't convenient for me to carry it with me everywhere.

Peace,
Marci

Shepherdess
09-30-2010, 04:30 PM
I’m saying “Oh well” to yesterday and moving on. I tried to fix tired yesterday afternoon by snacking. It didn’t work. Luckily I woke up this AM with more energy, after a night of insomnia, no less. Go figure. I had a meeting in town this AM and headed out for a run afterwards. I was a little sluggish at first, but wound up running faster than my goal pace. And somehow, a good, hard run left me with energy to face the rest of my day.

Madrikh, ouch for IBS flare up and feeling grouchy about it. Great job remembering that the scale’s number is just a number. It changes inexplicably from day to day, but over time, it is good info.

Maryann, yay for getting over your illness. Ouch for the lingering tiredness. Great job paying attention even while sick and for getting right back to the rigid planning now that you’re on the mend.

RE writing down food: maybe you could carry around a smaller notebook where you can quickly jot down what you eat. You can either re-record it in the workbook, or just use it as a more easily transportable journal.

Seadwaters, waving back. Yay for defeating the computer beast. The inner workings of a computer are a complete mystery to me. For all I know, if I remove the outer casing, I’ll find fairies and gnomes hard at work. Sending supportive thoughts to reinforce that resistance muscle!

Beverlyjoy, I love the image of you twirling in the kitchen with your flouncy skirts! Kudos for doing so many twirl-worthy things. Glad your skin is healed. Hugs while you deal with your son’s newly diagnosed condition. I hope there is some relief in finding a name for it.

McKt, great job doing eating so well on a hectic day and for taking the few minutes to whip up a healthy dinner instead of heading through the drive through.

RobinW, thanks for sharing, “I’m worthy and deserving.” It’s interesting the challenges that come with success. We don’t often think about that. The 20 min is a great idea. It’s a good way to test whether it is actual fatigue or just the brain trying to weasel out of exercise.

BillBE, ouch for rush hour traffic. Kudos for facing it so you can take care of your health. Yay for looking forward to the gym. It’s well in-line with your daily quote. Hope you’re still singing the same tune during lunges.

Gardenerjoy, hugs while mourning Tony Curtis for your mother. Talk of the Nation had a nice tribute to Tony Curtis: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5.

GosfordGirl
09-30-2010, 08:05 PM
Morning Coaches
I am posting early to get back on track. I have read my advantages list and my response list; I am planning for the day; writing a shopping list for the weekend shop; making lists of tasks to do for the for the next 4 days to be organised for work (work at home today and then a 'holiday' weekend). Have had an on-plan healthy breakfast.

Lots of marking to do this weekend, plus project work, plus other things. Good that it is a long weekend to have the time to do it all.

BeverlyJoy - Yay for healing skin, Yay for many twirls (that makes me smile), and credit for consecutive days on plan. It is great news to hear you will be seeing the orthopod and hope the meeting goes well. Getting a diagnosis can be a large part of the battle so I am pleased for your son.

McKt - huge credit for going home and making food to go - the sort of effort I am not so good with. Good ground rules are useful aren't they. Will need to review mine

RobinW - Good to see you back. It is difficult to be stuck without food and be very hungry. I don't carry food in the car but when I am being nomadic in my travelling office/car I do take a lunch box with on-plan food (when I plan and get organised that is). That and I try to remember that hunger is not an emergency - and that is not easy

BillBE - Ouch for traffic - I stay at work most nights till 6.30 to avoid it before the 1 hour drive home - peak hour to my place starts 4 pm. And gym doesn't happen - you make me think that I need to rethink my work habits. Leaving early doesn't help - peak hour starts at 5am and settles by 7.30 am! Anyway - thinking with my fingers here.

GardenerJoy - Good advice - to keep checking in even if off track. I am planning to be on track today. I don't like to think too far into the future because the thought of having to monitor everything I eat for ever is very daunting so your earlier post struck a cord. It is a good discussion to read.

maryann - Glad you are feeling better - carbs do seem to call when things are bad. Ouch for tired but credit for knowing that carbs won't fix it

Marci (madrikh) - I tend to be near a computer all day so log food in CalorieKing - and it tracks calories as well. If I didn't do that I would photocopy the pages from the Beck book and carry them with me. When I don't track I get into strife (often unfortunately)

Shepherdess - Yay for moving on - and for more energy despite all the things that suggest the opposite should be true - go figure. I will have to remember that exercise does make me energetic given that I avoid it when I am home late and tired

Have a good day Beckies

_________
Cheryl

Woodland
09-30-2010, 08:10 PM
Hi,

re: writing down what I've eaten:
When at home I use a computer spreadsheet to make my plan. I highlight in blue the line items I have consumed as the day goes along. I list the calories and nutrition of the servings, so then I can total them up at the bottom to get a full picture.
When I'm not at home I use an app called "Nutrition Menu" on my iPhone.

I think doing this helps me to know I'll have enough food during the day before I start, then later I know I ate the right amount. It has multiple benefits.

The Beck life really works for me - I like all the steps. :D

Woodland

maryblu
09-30-2010, 10:56 PM
Quick hi and expression of gratitude for all my Beck buddies/coaches. It is so reassuring to check in and see everyone just chugging along, doing their Beck best. Special thanks as always to BillBE for keeping us all clucking along.

I get a bit bonkers in the fall..take days off on the spur of the moment, or even an afternoon off, "due to weather". My boss just accepts the email and says "enjoy". Believe me, I have. Unusual fall color this year..early, for one thing, and all at once for another. The usual order is: Green Ash, then Sugar Maple and Basswood, but Basswoods don't even count, as they turn a s***-brindle brown and then just *pffftttttttttt. then Birch, and after the Maples have dropped and faded, then the Quaking Aspen and my favorite tree, the Red Oak, turn on. This year, it has happened all at once. Weird, but lovely.. At least the Tamarack are restraining themselves and will turn last of all.

Looking forward to a camping/canoeing weekend and the bounty of fall..my apples, raspberries, and DBF's cucumbers, tomatoes, squash..Hobo Dinners over the campfires were never so good as kids.

Lexxiss
09-30-2010, 11:25 PM

It has been a long day with healthy eating. I am tired and remembering that food doesn't fix that. I think I'll lock up and head to bed early.
*credits*
-took my own snack to the movie, ate my portion then closed the bag
-pitched some spaghetti my Sis left on the cutting board instead of eating it
-decided against dessert just because
-will go to bed a little hungry instead of starting a munchfest
-I recognize I'll feel fine in the morning.

Take care everyone!

McKt
10-01-2010, 12:20 AM
Here I am at the end of my day. Feeling grateful it’s just about over and giving myself credit for putting forth effort. The single most important change I am working on is BALANCE. To lose the ALL or NOTHING mentality is a huge struggle for me. Funny, because it does not serve me well, yet I cling to it like it is my only option for making choices.

I had another time crunch day and had to make a decision to either exercise or go to my meditation group this evening. When I was pondering the decision I kept thinking I had to do a long workout or it wouldn’t count … any way I finally reasoned with myself and recognized that I did not exercise yesterday and that exercise should be part of the decision. And it did not have to be a full hour at the gym to count as exercise. I ended up with a relaxing walk in which I could take a nice break, actually took the time to stop and smell the flowers. I was able to find the balance in the decision but I took some serious efforts. Now I am off to do my Beck Workbook.

RobinW - Thank you for such wonderful “food for thought” Worthy and Deserving! :)

BBE – Thank you for your post yesterday – Need to find a way to exercise during hectic days. I remembered what you wrote and it played a key part in my decision to MAKE exercise happen today! Credit to both….

Beverly joy – Yay for mostly great days and all the healthy choices. I am sending twirls your way for your son to feel better and a great Dr appt for you!

Gardnerjoy – Hugs to you! I too was deeply sadden by the news of Tony Curtis. I think it is a very sweet honor to your Mom.

Maryann – Yay for feeling better. Beware, carbs only pretend to be your friend, they are insincere and they will nail you in the backside without hesitation, leaving you to only want more and more of them. ;)

Shepherdess – Onward and upward – tomorrow is a whole new day! Kudos for the good hard run, sounds like the day ended on a good note….

Seadwaters – Yippee for planning and reorganizing – sometimes it’s just what we need to jump back on track.

Madrikh - One cookie and time spent with a friend in need. That’s a pretty successful day! When I got on the scale this morning I was up 1.5 pounds, ugh for no apparent reason as I have been on track 100%, I guess it was just one of those days for me as well. I too struggle with writing the food down so I am getting into the habit of writing it before I eat it. Then there are no new decisions to make. I find I can stick to it about 95% of the time (I am practicing better rather than perfect) . I actually write out my entire meals for 2 or 3 days. Make sure I have the food prepared, print the list and keep handy at all times.
Here's to a fantastic Friday to all! :grouphug:

BillBlueEyes
10-01-2010, 05:47 AM
Please join us as this discussion continues on

Beck Diet For Life/Solution – October 2010 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution/213769-beck-diet-life-solution-october-2010-support-discussion-buddy-coach.html)

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:
List of Monthly Beck Threads for Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution/206004-list-monthly-beck-threads-support-discussion-buddy-coach.html)