Other Reduced Carb Diets - Im new here and have a question

View Full Version : Im new here and have a question

Jrzygrl10
08-30-2010, 02:25 PM
Hi Everyone:

I'm new here and still trying to find my way around the board. I am doing the Belly Fat Cure and have a question re: carb counting.

I am down 3lbs and into my 4th day. The past 3 days I was deducting the fiber count from the total carbs for products I was eating - thus, logging "net" carbs instead of total carbs - which is a typical way to figure how many carbs you are ingesting from any given product.

In the book, Jorge says not to do that because it makes it harder for the dieter to figure numbers. Are we not permitted to deduct fiber counts in order to arrive at net carbs? And if so, why? Doesn't make sense.

If we don't do the math, then we will be eating less than we are actually able to.

Example: Kidney Beans - 1/2 cup has a total of 19 carbs, but 8 grams of fiber. If you deduct the 8 grams of fiber from the 19 carbs, your net carb intake is 11. The carbs can add up fast if you don't factor for net carbs.

We have to keep track of fiber counts anyway, so why not just figure our net carbs?

Any thoughts?

Thanks! :)

chewy
08-31-2010, 12:25 AM
All I can offer is the way I do this plan:

15 g sugar/120 carbs per day

5-20 g carbs is 1 serving
Intake no more than 5g sugar per meal/snack per day!
Try to keep sugar intake at2.5 per meal/snack
Any sugars are added like 1 g is added etc...

I usually do:
1/2 for B
0/0 s
1/2 L
0/0 S
2/2 D
4/6 total for the day

As you can see, I limit sugars but consume my 120 carbs a day.

Jrzygrl10
08-31-2010, 07:28 AM
Thanks - I'm doing similar to you, but I am wondering about net carbs vs. total carbs - deducting the fiber count in your food item from the total carbs of that food.

Jrzygrl10
08-31-2010, 07:29 AM
P.S. I don't take in 120carbs per day because I wouldn't lose with that much. I know this from past efforts. I have to keep my carbs between 40-60, which is why I'm concerned about being able to calculate for "net" carbs - if we can do that, then essentially we can eat more.

Because my carb amount is lower than 120, I also don't get in as much fiber as I need, so that's a bit of an issue. I have to make sure that of the carbs I do it, I up the fiber content by choosing beans and such.

chewy
09-05-2010, 10:37 PM
You can deduct fiber from carbs and get net carbs. I try to eat a much basic whole foods, because I have more control of knowing what I am eating that way.

There are a lot of hidden sugars and carbs in supermarket food.