Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:56 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 310/235/175

Height: '5''4

Default Medication and side effects

Just venting basically, no real question or anything. Just wondering if anyone else is going through the same thing.

I am on medication that I can't be taken off of (i.e. 2 different epilepsy medications and one to control liver enzymes). I'm also on a depression medication (in which my Dr. has switched me 2x to others because of the weight gaining side effects). I use this as an excuse, and it could very well be, of the reason why I am not able to lose as fast, or as much, as others are. Like I said, these aren't medications I can say bye to....
GoonieGal85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:46 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 260/249/180

Height: 6'

I hate when medications jump into the mix and thwart efforts. I've had that happen with medications before. Can you lose at all? Even a half a pound is a good rate of loss. I'm losing REALLY slowly because of a slow thyroid and the inability to move enough yet. BUT - I keep telling myself, every little ounce of fat I lose is less fat to keep dragging me down.

(((HUG))) I wish medications helped speed things up....
buttons77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:26 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 310/235/175

Height: '5''4

I am losing...slowly. I have lost in the past while on this medication. I lost 75lbs a couple of years ago. So I can do it... it just irks me b/c I don't think I am losing as fast as others would, ya know?
GoonieGal85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:36 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 260/249/180

Height: 6'

I know, I hate that feeling. And feeling impatient. (((HUG)))

I had to take topamax at one point - something some docs even use as a weight loss med - except I GAINED taking it, despite spin classes and healthy eating. I was wicked mad.

I think our bodies are just essentially lazy. They want us to give up and maintain status quo.....even if it's unhealthy. I keep hoping if I keep pushing back, my body will realize I'm not quitting this time....
buttons77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:09 PM   #5  
emaline29

S/C/G: 226/202/154

Height: 4'11"

Hi GoonieGirl, I do so know the feeling. I have an underactive thyroid and that coupled with my being disabled and therefore not able to exercise really makes my weight loss very slow. It's so easy to get disheartened and give up but I have now found that coming on-line, whether onto a forum, and there's plenty to choose from, or just googling items to browse keeps my mind occupied and my hands so I don't grab a biscuit instead! YouTube is a great thing to either have giggle at some of the stupid things people get up to or listening to various pieces of music, just a couple of things I find interesting and worth a try.
All the best and keep on keeping on.
emaline29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 07:15 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 196/181/145

Height: 5'3"

It is very discouraging to try to loss weight when the medication you take has side effects like weight gain or I have one the side effect is craving sweets (and I was already a chocoholic before that). So I feel your pain. It makes the process much slower.
ducktape54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 03:28 AM   #7  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 197/ticker/136

Height: 1.65m

Oh yes, it's frustrating, isn't it? Especially when everyone said they had to give up the meds I am on because it made them lose too much weight, of course I put it on!

I have one which makes your weight go to the tummy instead of thighs, one which retains a lot of water, one which retains body fat and increases appetite and one which messes up your blood sugar so you have sudden sharp cravings for sweet foods, which may or may not be genuine low blood sugar attacks. Some you find are false alarms and you have to lie down and let it pass, the others you read a genuine low and you cry because you now have to eat a glucose sweet after you've been so good on your plan.

Bodies absolutely suck sometimes. I think we come out of it stronger and more knowledgable in the end, though. Just wish people wouldn't see it as "just an excuse" though, I'm not using it as an excuse to do nothing, but I AM saying it's making it harder. Doctors steer so far away from admitting that anything contributes to weight gain in case everyone says "I'm not fat, it's glandular" which is bizarre. I am saying "I AM fat, but it is still glandular, therefore I must work harder".

Oh, and do all your medicines say "changes in weight" on the side-effects list? They try not to write "weight gain" any more in case the meds will not sell. I've heard some nonsense in my time, the excuse for me putting on weight when I started the combined pill was "We find that women are more relaxed not worrying about becoming pregnant so they put on some weight on the pill because they are no longer under stress about pregnancy" - Are you serious???!! First, I am a stress eater, if the stress were lifted from my shoulders the weight would drop off, not pile on. Second, I was put on the pill to regulate my periods enought that I might be able to start fertility treatment - I'd have been delighted to get pregnant.
RoseRodent is offline   Reply With Quote