Old 08-29-2010, 03:57 PM   #1  

Default One of my "Ultimate Goals"

So, for years now I've wanted to take ballet lessons, but the idea of my body in leotards reminded me of sausage casings . I took dance classes when I was like 6 or 7 and even then I noticed I was a bit heftier than the other girls. My dream would be to do pointe work someday. I just want to enjoy that feeling of lightness that dancers exude. Anyone else have such a goal or was a dancer in the past?

Lauren
Meeky2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:16 PM   #2  
Tori

S/C/G: 172/ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

I used to irish dance, though its not the same lightness that ballerinas exude. Most dances (especially in the hard shoes) are hard and loud... which I actually enjoyed a lot more than the soft shoe dances.
I did it for 11 years, and was actually somewhat decent at it, I went to the worlds in Ireland.
I quit quite a few years ago, and lost most of the steps but every St. Patrick's day I miss it. Although, I do not see me ever going back.
I think you should do it! Do they practice in the leotards too? We just wore shorts and a tshirt. But it any case everyone is gonna be looking at your feet!
torito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:33 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 323/311/160

Height: 5'6"

I belly dance. It's definitely a barefoot kind of dance so it doesn't seem as hefty as the jazz and tap dancing I've done in the past though I was practicing some saidi jumps last night and was frustrated that I could not land lightly enough as I wanted to. While belly dance isn't necessarily for stick thin dancers, I've definitely seen vast improvement in my abilities since I've lost this weight so far.
Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:26 PM   #4  
Metamorphōsis

S/C/G: 220/ticker/117

Totally. I danced (ballet, jazz dance) up until I was 14 and can't wait until I'm in good enough shape to do it again. Especially ballet, but that requires a pretty fit body, so it's a look-forward to goal for me.
Symmetry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:27 PM   #5  

Me, me, me!!! My 11 year old daughter I imagine will be on pointe next year and I DREAMED of putting on my first pointe shoes with her.....BUT besides being overweight I broke my leg this year @ the knee, REALLY bad....so I don't think it's going to happen now. Also I've never been a dancer to begin with, just something I've always dreamed of!
Good luck, we will get there someday!
nurse2be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:18 AM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by torito View Post
I did it for 11 years, and was actually somewhat decent at it, I went to the worlds in Ireland.
That's awesome torito! I've always been amazed by all kinds of dance. I find myself staring in awe at Irish dancers, they move their feet so fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlasting View Post
I belly dance... I've definitely seen vast improvement in my abilities since I've lost this weight so far.
That's great! Belly dancing sounds like a lot of fun. Where do you take classes? At a gym or studio?
Old 08-30-2010, 07:57 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 131/100/70 kg

Height: 167 cm

Mine was standard dancing, I did ballroom a few years ago when I was lighter but the dance school I used to go closed and then I got depressed from a break-up ate my heart out and turned 131 kg. Now that I am reaching my first goal weight, my heart craves dancing again.

My secret wish is to be able to dance latin dances and tango, but I always chicken out. I mean they are always viewed as erotic and I guess the fat girl dancing them is an oxymoron.
preetyladyserenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:55 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 323/311/160

Meeky- I started taking classes at the arts and culture center in town when I saw the local troupe perform. One of the ladies teaches. Been doing that for awhile now and I've signed up to take one of the classes that the university offers as well for health promotion! It's fun to have two different instructors to see the different styles they do.

preety- I know what you mean about latin dances! I so want to learn nicely someday. One of my motivations lately is that I'm going to Spain to work for about 6 months starting in January and I want to take a Flamenco class.

Maybe some day I'll get on the ball with ballet again. I used to do it when I was a kid but I was always embarrassed then too because I was the only fat kid in the class. Not to mention I started later so they had put me in a class with kids that were like 2 years younger than me... so I towered over them too. Ugh. I hated performances. Pretty much a fan of bellydancing now though so I don't know if I could ever go to something as rigid as ballet again.
Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:01 PM   #9  

Height: 5'2

Hi Meeky2004, I've also wanted to join ballet classes but as you can imagine I was the 'biggest' child in the group. This is a dream I hope to fulfil once I am smaller...
size8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:41 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 258/229.2/160

I took tap and jazz as a kid, and wish I'd stuck with that. Or my tennis lessons, I was quite good at tennis. I have a small list of things I want to conquer when I lose more. They don't specifically require me to weigh less or be smaller, but I don't have the confidence to do a lot of things now. Well, not "a lot," I don't let my weight keep me from living, but a few specific things.
AmandaW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:17 AM   #11  
Here for the party

S/C/G: 187/108

Height: 5'5.5

Totally. I did ballet as a kid and then again when I went to university. Back then I was as thin as my instructor in the company, so I felt like I actually belonged. I'd like to go back and take ballet, especially some pointe classes... I definitely want again that light feeling you mention, Lauren.
fivestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:19 PM   #12  

I say we all do it! I think I might even start taking classes sooner than I planned. I'm sick of my weight holding me back from so many wonderful opportunities in life. I want to look back and say I enjoyed my life when I'm too old to these things.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:29 PM   #13  
Me

S/C/G: 290/270/160

I work with dancers a lot, and want to take ballet classes so bad. The dancers all say I should just start going.
kateaclysm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 08:20 PM   #14  
One pound at a time...

S/C/G: 214/TICKER/125

Height: 5'3"

I know this sounds ridiculous, but we have a studio in the area that does pole dancing workouts. I think that sounds SO FUN, and would love to at least try it once!
PlaygroundLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 09:54 PM   #15  
finding my balance...

S/C/G: 216.8/209.4/135

Height: 5'7

I've always want6ed to be in dance classes but don't feel like I would be good at it... I'm doing zumba and even with that I'm one of the heaviest...but if I lose this weight I really want to try a beginner's class!
tandifrass is offline   Reply With Quote