Faith Based Support Groups - What are you reading?

View Full Version : What are you reading?

Bootsie
08-29-2010, 04:39 PM
Just curious , what are you reading. Please share with us

Justwant2Bhealthy
08-31-2010, 06:40 PM
Well, I just finished reading through "8 MINUTES IN THE MORNING" by Jorge Cruise; his plan is fab and very EZ. It is also based on exchanges or portions; and I love his daily boxes for the exchanges; you just check off your servings as you go through the day. I had some photocopied so I have lots available. It is the easiest system I have every seen really. He has the daily calorie allotments across the top of the box already; so there's no calorie counting or figuring out anything.

I love doing my toning exercises and weights in the morning upon waking as I am less likely to put them off. I still do some other stuff later on, if I want to like stretchie band work or chair aerobics or walking (including power walking which he recommends and trekking, etc).

I also read my bible as you know, plus a couple of daily devotionals each day: THE DAILY BREAD & Crystal Cathedral's POSITIVE MINUTE daily devotionals; and they send me their weekly sermons as well.

I am terrible for starting more than one book at a time and recently am reading some older books that I found -- Norman Vincent Peale's "THE POWER OF POSITIVE THINKING" and "ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH PRAYER" by Charles L. Allen.

My newest fluff romance novel is "ETERNITY" by Jude Deveraux; which is just for fun, of course. :D EDIT TO ADD: Oops, I started reading this book and suddenly realized that I have already read it ... :lol:

Bootsie
08-31-2010, 10:09 PM
The exchange is what I am on Rosebud and it is the one I picked for the rest of my life, for I find it easy . I love The Power of Positive Thinking, it is awesome. I will look for, 8 minutes in the morning at our book store in Marble Falls.

boots
09-03-2010, 10:40 PM
I'm currently reading "Foolproofing your life" by Jan Silvious. Perhaps not the most entertaining book in the world, but I'm trying to find Biblical answers for dealing with manipulative people in my life right now.

Realizing that even Christians can use guilt tactics, abusive manipulative tactics and even spiritual abuse to control other people has been a huge eye opener for me. My mom heard this lady on the radio and told me I had to get the book to get the Christian perspective on it. I'm really glad thus far that I have. I had a lot of toxic relationships/influences, even in my church leadership circle that I'm feeling so relieved to be out from under that stress at this time.

Just being able to identify it and realize what was going on has been a huge weight off of my shoulders! (and I love how Silvious uses the Proverbs so clearly and succinctly to identify and define these behaviors!)

still praying that God shows me His direction for my life through all of this. But the book is REALLY good! I think everyone should read it!

patchworkpenguin
09-03-2010, 11:43 PM
A Praying Life by Paul Miller. I'm reading this as part of a group Bible study. We are only on chapter 1 but its very good. I suggested my Hubby read it next.

islandchick1
09-04-2010, 12:58 AM
I am reading the Left Behind series again. I enjoyed the books immensly and use them as a motivator to help me do my crunches everday. I will do ten crunches and then read one chapter as a "reward" for doing the crunches :lol: Then repeat. By the time I am tired of reading for the evening I will have done 3 to 5 sets of sit ups, reverse sit ups and obliques crunches. :cb:

Bootsie
09-04-2010, 10:27 AM
Good Morning! All these Books are new to me! I am reading Awaken the Giant within for about the 3rd time.

I love reading the Bible , it is surprising what I think I have read before and God opens my eyes to something I never remembered reading before. I just don't know if I get into a trance reading it or what so strange. Psalms used to be my favorite but lately its been John, Peter, Ecclesiastes...

Justwant2Bhealthy
09-04-2010, 04:51 PM
I went to our local second-hand shop yesterday and picked up an armful of new books to read (well, new to me). Some are fluff romances, a few novels about life, and one Christian one that sounds really good is called, "LAUGH AGAIN" by Charles R. Swindoll. Will let you know what it's like.

I also picked up a natural health based book by Andrew Weil, M.D., called -- "8 WEEKS TO OPTIMUM HEALTH" ... I noticed that he has included a few of his own favorite recipes as well as some accounts of healing stories. I have read some of this man's other works: he is really a respected health guru.

I even found a couple of newer books that have more than one novel in each book; one is Christmas stories which I will save for around Christmas time, and the other called "THE HOPE CHEST" which has three stories about women spanning 3 centuries ... sounds good to me.

One novel is supposed to be a really good one about life, laughter, and marriage called -- "LOVE LIFE" by James D. Houston. So, I will be pleasantly busy over the next while ... ;)

Justwant2Bhealthy
09-06-2010, 11:11 PM
My SM lent me a wonderful book by RICHARD PAUL EVANS with three of his most popular books in it. I read the first one last night -- I had read about this story so many times. It is called "THE CHRISTMAS BOX" and I even had a book called "The Christmas Box Miracle" which turned out to be a book about the book "The Christmas Box" ... :lol: I had expected it to also include the original story, but it didn't.

So why am I reading a Christmas story now? It just happened to be the first story in the book ... ;) And, it is indeed a very, very good story; try to find it if you can ... :D

EDIT TO ADD: BTW, the other two stories in the book are called, "THE TIMEPIECE" and "THE LETTER". I just finished "The Timepiece" and it was wonderful too; and it is a continuation or sequel to the "The Christmas Box" ...

RicecakeEater
09-14-2010, 01:47 AM
I am reading "The Shack" by William P. Young... it's wonderful so far, and I suggest it to anyone who hasn't read it! It's about a murder, but it's good for teens and seniors alike. I'm only about 2/3rds through, but it's really great, and it really gives your mind something to chew on. I don't even read books, but I find this one worth my time, most definitely. (:

Bootsie
09-14-2010, 11:33 AM
:welcome: RICECAKES! I have never read a murder mistrey but I watch a-lot of CSI on TV. Has anyone read the book Thin within? I think it is a-lot like the Weigh down diet, not really sure.

Justwant2Bhealthy
09-14-2010, 09:03 PM
RICEcakeEATER ~ When I was a teenager, I loved to read a lot of those gothic mystery romances where the damsel in distress would inherit an mansion and some mysterious dark & handsome stranger would suddenly come into her life -- now, was he a villain trying to steal all her money, or was he her night in shining armor sent to rescue her from danger ... you had to read the book to find out!!! :lol:

BOOTSIE ~ went to a second-hand book store in the city today and guess what book I found? AWAKEN THE GIANT WITHIN by Anthony Robbins; you know, Jorge Cruise recommends his books too ...

I also picked up Don Piper's second book called "HEAVEN IS REAL" ... I already have his first book called "90 MINUTES IN HEAVEN" which is very good too. I really identified with him becuz he had a really bad leg like mine or visa-versa; and it really helped me to feel better when it kept coming out of the socket and I would fall. My DAD told me that I just needed to learn how to fall well ... :lol:

And, I also picked up a couple books by Mr. R. H. Schuller (I'm a big fan of this very positive man). One is called "LIFE'S NOT FAIR, BUT GOD IS GOOD" ... and the other is "WHAT HAPPENS TO GOOD PEOPLE WHEN BAD THINGS HAPPEN?" which was written by his son, Robert Anthony Schuller.

Sooo, I've got some more good books to read for this winter for sure ... :D

jigglefree
09-17-2010, 05:43 PM
I'm reading "The Power of Your Words" Walking with God by Agreeing with God. by EW Kenyon.

Makes me think about what I say making sure I'm agreeing with the word of GOd and not my feelings, emotions or circumstances.

Justwant2Bhealthy
09-17-2010, 09:59 PM
JIGGLE ~ I've heard of that; kinda like, what you say, is what you are ... so we must be careful to focus on the positive. BTW, :congrat: on reaching those 2 goals -- you must feel so good ... :D

jennygirl531
09-19-2010, 02:43 PM
I'm notorious for reading more than one at once! ;) I'm reading A Year With God: Living Out the Spiritual Disciplines (Foster & Roller) and Completely His: Loving Jesus Without Limits (Ethridge). I'm also reading Harry Potter (yes, gasp!) Wanted to know what all the uproar is about. They're actually pretty good ;)

jennygirl531
09-19-2010, 02:46 PM
Bootsie:

I've read Thin Within...ok, not ALL of it, LOL! But it is quite a bit like Weigh Down. I liked it better though. I felt WD became a bit rigid & condemning. Didn't get that with Thin Within.

Justwant2Bhealthy
09-19-2010, 05:30 PM
BTW, I also have the book called -- "When Bad Things Happen To Good People" by Harold S. Kushner; and would recommend that everyone read it at least once in their lifetime ...

JENNY ~ lots of people (adults) read those books (Harry Potter); and we even have a couple of the movies -- my DH likes them too!

Bootsie
09-19-2010, 07:40 PM
Jenny I tried to get on Thin Withins community twice and they would not even accept me, I just love their community and the program but I felt if they could not accept me then I was not buying the book. I guess if I bought the book first then tried to get on there maybe then they would accepted me. I like not being the part not condemning , I really don't think that is right and I understand some parts of WD seem like that. I sure wish they would let me join but if God wanted me there he would of made it possible.

I don't agree with everything about weigh down just like me there is good points and some I don't think are so good, but I find that with all diets. My main issue is to be right with God, study his word and spread his word and his unfailing love and be the person he wants me to be. I still wish I could join in Thin Within!

Justwant2Bhealthy
09-20-2010, 01:47 AM
BOOTSIE ~ you can read a substantial preview of the THIN WITHIN book at this link ...

http://books.google.ca/books?id=TPmuctDE_JQC&printsec=frontcover&dq=Thin+Within&source=bl&ots=UL5fnrsuUN&sig=saKGpI0l_Cu2ETMLu2Q48Pe2t6I&hl=en&ei=8a-WTPfKD4H_nAeA9OHFBw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CDsQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q&f=false

I found it very enjoyable myself; and I think you will too. I was amazed how much of this the LORD had already shown me over the last while in my studies in HIS Word, GOD is truly awesome -- JESUS said that if we seek, we shall find ... :hug:

Bootsie
09-20-2010, 06:24 PM
Rosebud that book is awesome! I love it ! I think maybe I will go by my book store and see if they have it ,if not they will order it for me.

Bootsie
09-21-2010, 01:19 AM
Rosebud, have you read any on Awaken the Giant within yet? Look at the Alpo diet on page 131.;)

Justwant2Bhealthy
09-21-2010, 05:02 PM
:lol: THAT'S FUNNY! Very similar to your LIVER DIET! You know, when I first read your post, I thought it said, "The Apollo Diet" and then I read about the can of dog food and had a good laugh. In my book, it is on page 26 -- so I had to search a bit ... ;) I haven't started reading that book yet, becuz I already have a few on the go, but will start it soon. :D

Hot Chicka
09-21-2010, 07:43 PM
I just checked out 'the yada yada prayer group' by Neta Jackson, today from the library. Anyone read it? Any good?

jennygirl531
09-23-2010, 01:26 AM
Haven't read that one, but I know I've picked it up at the bookstore to look at. Let me know how it is.

piper10
09-23-2010, 12:48 PM
I'm reading How People Change by Timothy S. Lane and Paul David Tripp. Also Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain.

Hot Chicka
09-25-2010, 02:19 PM
Haven't read that one, but I know I've picked it up at the bookstore to look at. Let me know how it is.

will do!;)

Bootsie
09-25-2010, 05:44 PM
I have not read that but it has a good title, How People Change. i have seen so many people change including myself so I know it can be done.

Justwant2Bhealthy
09-26-2010, 11:18 PM
I am still reading the third story in the CHRISTMAS BOX TRILOGY ~ the last one is called THE LETTER, and I am almost finished it. It is my least favorite of the three and I feel the author made a huge error in the book: about half-way through, the main male character (husband, David Parkin) gets involved in a silly, teenish kind of chase relationship (yes;no;yes;no;yes;no) with a 20 year old girl (he is in his 40's at this time), which ruined the story for me.

He does walk away from her eventually, but the whole thing was so distracting and contradictory to the earlier descriptions of his character and behavior (esp by his wife & the author) that it didn't fit right in this story, so it was annoying as heck; and I couldn't wait to get past it.

BUT, there was a tiny gem of story weaved throughout about a sweet & kind elderly, black American (and yes, it matters to this story) soldier and his relationship to a white officer's daughter. This story should have been expounded upon much more as it was so touching and moving; and soul-stirring really. It would have made a grand book on its own.

I am almost finished it, but wonder where the story is going at this point. The author said it was a special love story; but not the one he meant. It was a very disappointing one, as I found myself feeling very sorry for the main female character who loved her husband much more than he deserved. It seemed that she felt gracious to him for saving her from a bad situation, rather than it being an equalitarian and pure kind of love like the soldier and his wife had ... they had the special love story (and for this reason, I am glad I read it)!!!

You see, he was black soldier in a time (during the depression and onwards) when they were treated very badly in the US. She was a white daughter of a high-ranking officer in the army, who was born with a disfiguring pigment scar over 2/3 rds of her face. Although, she was very pretty, that scar prevented her from being marriage material -- no white fellas could see her true beauty beneath that scar, except for one young, handsome black soldier. They met and secretly fell in love; then got married in a private ceremony and had a child, but they had to keep their relationship secret and distant for the safety of them all. Their story isn't shared in full, until after the man is dying ... when he finally meets his daughter for the first time. :cry:

This story touched me on many levels; I kind of thought about how this black man was able to see past her physical flaw and love her because he already knew what it was like to be persecuted because of the color of his skin (the same physical flaw -- for what he looked like).

I perceived another interesting similarity; how it feels to be overweight and feel that one is not accepted or loved because some people cannot see a person's true beauty ... that is, the beauty of their real self -- the beauty of their soul!

Sometimes, it seems that only GOD is able to do that ... :hug:

Bootsie
09-29-2010, 11:36 AM
Rosebud so excited ! Last night went on Anthony Robbins Community and asked if any one was reading Awaken the Giant Within and if they would like to read a chapter and we all discuss it? This morning I went on there and found someone who does!:carrot:

Justwant2Bhealthy
10-04-2010, 08:00 PM
BOOTSIE ~ oh, glad you found someone to read it with; will check that site out. I can start reading mine now too, as I just finished my big novel called -- "YEARS" by LaVyrle Spencer.

It was a thick novel, circa early 1900's, about Norwegian farmers who had immigrated to North Dakota -- meeting up with a city girl school teacher. My SM lent it to me; she was a teacher too, so she loves any books about teachers. It was a good story and would make a nice family movie -- well, if you leave a few parts out, that is ... ;)

Ashley777
10-07-2010, 04:17 PM
Reading "I Dare You" by Joyce Meyer

Bootsie
10-09-2010, 11:46 PM
Ashley I love Joyce Meyers books! I never heard of that one is it new?

Justwant2Bhealthy
10-18-2010, 07:54 PM
This past weekend, I read another historical romance by LaVyrle Spencer -- called "THE ENDEARMENT" and this is by far my favorite of the ones I've read of hers so far. Like others said, you hated for it to end: it was that enjoyable. I was hoping it would continue on and tell me what happened to them later on in their lives. Also being part Irish, it was fun that the heroine was also of Irish decent. She had a terrible upbringing, so you really wanted her to make out good in the end ... :)

mtrchristian
10-22-2010, 05:09 PM
Hello, I'm new to this forum and this is my first post.

I have just started reading "The New Eve".

Per Barbara Rainey, Family Life Co-founder and Author, "...In The New Eve, Robert Lewis gives women of all ages a picture of what God intended for us [women] from the beginning and a clear vision for how we make choices that liberate us to live with purposeful direction..."