General chatter - Just ordered some horror films!!

View Full Version : Just ordered some horror films!!

Eliana
08-29-2010, 01:59 PM
Who here like horror films? I'm a BAD horror film junky, and I mean the bad ones. The faker the better!

I love to watch these movies for Halloween.

I'm starting the kids out young. They're 8 and 10 and I just ordered Ghostbusters and Gremlins. I'm protective of what they watch, but the 8 year old already saw Gremlins at a friend's house. :mad: I was really angry about that because it seems to me that was worth a phone call to find out if my child was allowed to watch that movie. The answer would have been NO! But now that he's seen it, I figure why not. And of course the 10 year old wants to see it because his little brother had.

And for me?! Nightmare on Elm St. movies 1-4. :D I am giddy!

Now I just have to find someone who will watch them with me!! DH will not.

Haley8203
08-29-2010, 02:06 PM
i don't like scary movies...i get scared way too easily lol and i don't like it lol

dragonwoman64
08-29-2010, 02:15 PM
we have Night of the Living Dead and Frankenstein on DVD. It may be silly, but I have such a hard time watching NOTLD at night! ha. As old and cheesy as that movie is, it still freaks me out! have fun!

Aclai4067
08-29-2010, 02:35 PM
Oh I LOVE bad horror movies, as does my best friend. Teeth, Ice Spiders, Lake Placid 3, Zombie Strippers (freaking hilarious!). There's just nothing like a bad horror film!

bunnythesAINT
08-29-2010, 02:46 PM
I love Halloween time because practically every channel plays some sort of horror movie. NOTLD the original is actually pretty creepy, so I don't blame you dragon. I only have Saw movies in my collection but there are a crap-load more I want. I really want House of 1000 Corpses, although it's more just plain disturbing than anything, and the big one I want is I Drink Your Blood which I've never seen but I've heard it's a really scary one. Has anyone seen the tv series uhm...Masters of Horror? It's like the cheesey-scary kind of show but it's on the Reelz channel (if you get it) and it's on late on Sunday nights but I watched it a couple of times and it was fairly creepy.

Eliana
08-29-2010, 02:47 PM
Oh, I haven't seen any of the above mentioned! I will have to check those out.

I saw Body Snatchers as a kid, unbeknownst to my parents. I remember loving it but haven't seen it since.

Other favorites: Halloween (except movie 3...what was the point?), The Exorcist (!), Friday the 13th, Amityville Horrors, Blair Witch, Poltergeist (but only the first one), and The Village. The last isn't really a horror film, but it sort of fits. I really liked that one.

Eliana
08-29-2010, 02:50 PM
Bunny, I love all the movies on the networks that time of year too! That's how I saw "Constantine" and I forgot about that one. I like that one too.

There are so many movies I haven't seen! I've never seen Saw but all my junior high kids tell me I need to. I just wish there was someone to watch them with.

Glory87
08-29-2010, 04:30 PM
In my opinion, Saw (and its ilk) are a different kind of horror - more like torture-horror, which I just am not a fan of.

As far as traditional horror movies, The Ring really scared me! I was watching Paranormal Activity by myself and I nearly had to turn it off. I also liked The Ruins, but possibly because I was a huge fan of the book. The Descent also scared the bejesus out of me.

If you want a classic, I love The Changeling with George C. Scott.

lolcat
08-29-2010, 04:32 PM
I LOVE horror movies!!!
Really scary ones, obviously fake, I love them all. I'm with Bunny on House of 1000 Corpses... and of course, Devil's Rejects. Have 'em and ended up adding the Bluray versions, lol. Christine is an all-time favorite.

Eliana, if you really like B-horror, you'll have to check out Night of the Lepus.... probably one of my all-time fave B-films. Also bad but a bit disturbing - It's Alive!, It Lives Again, and It's Alive 3 - Island of the Alive. Another is Motel ****.

Wow, I could go on and on and on!!

therex
08-30-2010, 01:30 AM
and the big one I want is I Drink Your Blood which I've never seen but I've heard it's a really scary one. .

it's kind of funny, depending on your sense of humor. It's about satanic hippies tripping on lsd, and yeah there's some gore in it, but it's all very kitschy.

On that note, i am a HUGE horror fan. I kind of got into it as a kid with the exorcist, and the special fx were fascinating, so i just never really stopped watching them. I'm a big fan of foreign horror now, korean, chinese, french... etc. Though there are still some i cannot and refuse to watch, like I Spit on your Grave, because of really graphic rape scenes.

losermom
08-30-2010, 08:54 AM
Kind of ot but my future son in law has a website, http://jimmofthedead.com/post/. He reviews horror/gory movies as he is a huge fan. Not my cup of tea though. I prefer thrillers rather than horror.

CanadianCutie
08-30-2010, 10:39 AM
LOL, was good to see Teeth on this list, can't remember where it was I saw the ad for it first, but ended up watching it, and laughing so hard. I love horror movies, and psychological thrillers, with the exception of SAW, I thought it was it was too much. The old horror, suspense, thrillers, gory movies are the best. The original Cape Fear just creeps me out, and a great scary movie (though not horror) is Wait Until Dark with Audrey Hepburn. It still holds up now.
My boyfriend and I watch episodes of MST3K (Mystery Science Theater 3000 to those not in the know), and they watch all kinds of B movies, sometimes horror, sometimes comedy, all horrible, and make fun of them. The audience gets to watch along. It's a great way to see old movies that you wouldn't normally.

bunnythesAINT
08-30-2010, 02:27 PM
Thanks therex, I'll try and see it sometime here.
lolcat-
Yes, yes, yes! Have you seen Rob Zombie's Halloween re-boot, re-makes, whatever they're called?

Latchkey Princess
08-30-2010, 04:42 PM
I <3 horror movies, I could talk about them for hours! Almost 3/4 of my dvd collection (about 500 dvds) is horror or thriller or slasher movies! And almost all of my netflix queue is too. I also love Teeth! It was great. The Rob Zombie remake of Halloween (haven't seen the second one yet, but it's on my netflix queue) was good, but I really appreciated the original more. The original is kind of cheesy as far as acting (fan of scream queen Jamie Lee Curtis anyone?) but it had way more suspense than the remake. And the suspense of slasher films is what makes them great. Remakes are generally lower on my list than originals, just because I think if you're going to make a slasher film (which itself is really overdone) you should make some effort to be original.

My fav horror movie of all time is A Nightmare on Elm St. 3 : The Dream Warriors. It was by far the BEST Nightmare movie of the bunch (even including the New Nightmare and Freddy vs. Jason). I also like classics like Nosferatu, and The Living Dead series. I actually met George A. Romero and Tom Savini (the makeup artist for most of the living dead movies) once, they came to my school! Also used to shop at the mall that the original Dawn of the Dead was filmed in. :-)

Other favs include Hostel (totally torture horror, but freaked me out for days!), Friday the 13th (original, not the remake), 28 Days Later and Quarantine. And any film based on a Stephen King book, altho Dreamcatcher kind of reeked. As for really bad horror movies, the worst one I ever saw was Terror Toons. So ridiculous, bad acting, bad plot, bad costumes, but hilarious for all that.

As for my kids watching horror movies, no way! Not until they're teenagers. At least, I'm hoping thats the way it works out. lol But I'd also like them to not date until they're 30, so obviously I'm chalk full of unrealistic expectations.

Latchkey Princess
08-30-2010, 04:45 PM
CanadianCutie~ I used to watch MST3K with my dad and brother all the time. I was sad when it went off air. The show lost a little of it's appeal for me when they traded out Joel for Mike, but it was still hilarious. My favorite episode of that was The Incredible Melting Man. When Crow (I think it was Crow) yelled out "Go melt somewhere else you loser!" I almost fell off my seat laughing. It's also the only way to watch the old Godzilla movies without falling asleep. lol

bunnythesAINT
08-30-2010, 05:30 PM
I am too jealous Latchkey Princess. You met them? Oh man I wish my school would do anything like that. So jealous. I love Hostel (although really only the first one). It's really creepy; I always liked the odd comfortable-ness of the setting of the movie with all the creepy, creepy shizznizzle that was going down.
Has anyone seen Creepshow? I just remembered that one. It freaked me out the first time I saw it even though it's suppose to be one of those really cheesey horror movies.

Eliana
08-30-2010, 05:54 PM
My fav horror movie of all time is A Nightmare on Elm St. 3 : The Dream Warriors. It was by far the BEST Nightmare movie of the bunch (even including the New Nightmare and Freddy vs. Jason). I also like classics like Nosferatu, and The Living Dead series. I actually met George A. Romero and Tom Savini (the makeup artist for most of the living dead movies) once, they came to my school! Also used to shop at the mall that the original Dawn of the Dead was filmed in. :-)

Other favs include Hostel (totally torture horror, but freaked me out for days!), Friday the 13th (original, not the remake), 28 Days Later and Quarantine. And any film based on a Stephen King book, altho Dreamcatcher kind of reeked. As for really bad horror movies, the worst one I ever saw was Terror Toons. So ridiculous, bad acting, bad plot, bad costumes, but hilarious for all that.

As for my kids watching horror movies, no way! Not until they're teenagers. At least, I'm hoping thats the way it works out. lol But I'd also like them to not date until they're 30, so obviously I'm chalk full of unrealistic expectations.
My favorites are all the Freddie movies and particularly fond of the one where Freddie plays a video game!! It's so bad it's great! I just crack up at that part.

It's funny though, as much as I love a good fake slasher movie, I have a really hard time with movies like The Jackal or Blackhawk down or Seven. I counted ceiling tiles while watching all three of those just to give myself a moment's pause from the gore.

And I am a big book nerd. If I know it's a book, I must read the book first before watching the movie and the book is always way better! But when it comes to Stephen King, I actually like his movies better! Weird.

And yes, I don't particularly want my children to have nightmares. :rofl: They're not ready for Mom's horror films. But last year we watched "Monster House" and "Corpse Bride" (Tim Burton) for Halloween and had a lot of fun doing so. I'm looking forward to "Ghostbusters" and "Gremlins" with them. I highly recommend Monster House and Corpse Bride by the way. They're great for young tweens but I think too scary for the really young.

lolcat
09-02-2010, 02:10 AM
Bunny,

Yes, I saw the first one, it was awesome!! I have the second one but haven't watched it yet, I haven't been able to convince my SO to watch... I barely got him to watch the first one, LOL! I'll be watching them with OR without him next month, tho!!!

sarahyu
09-02-2010, 10:56 AM
Does it seem like the the older horror movies where way more scarier without the blood and guts? Sometimes it was just a shadow of the bad guy or something and it would put goosebumps up my spine.

Or it could be that I was a kid when I watched them and didn't have anything to compare it to.

I won't watch them anymore but dh loves them. I can't sleep and every shadow and bump in the night has me hiding under the covers or turning on all the lights in the house to keep the boogy man away. I had to stop watching crime dramas for the same reason.

Eliana
09-02-2010, 11:00 AM
Sarah, "Criminal Minds"!! That show is creepy! I love it! LOL!

Alfred Hitchcock was the master. ;)

Latchkey Princess
09-03-2010, 11:05 AM
I know I was soooo lucky to meet Mr. Romero and Mr. Savini. They did a lecture on horror makeup paired with a lecture on horror films for the cosmetology and film classes at my school. It's mostly because the school was in PA and thats where Tom Savini's school is based. :-)

I love Creepshow! (of course I've seen it, it's a Stephen King movie, lol) The one with the cockroaches was the grossest most disgusting thing I've ever seen. I hate bugs, and that didn't help any! I've seen the second one too, but it wasn't as good. And I think there's a third one, but if there is I haven't seen it yet... Maybe it was just that there was talk of a third one... I dunno.

Anybody else remember the movie The Willies? I wanna say that was one of my first horror films... I wasn't allowed to watch most of them until I was like 16 because my parents were really strict (doesn't mean I did watch them, just wasn't supposed to). But The Willies creeped me out so bad!

kateleestar
09-03-2010, 11:48 AM
I LOVE horror movies!!!
Christine is an all-time favorite.

Eliana, if you really like B-horror, you'll have to check out Night of the Lepus.... probably one of my all-time fave B-films. Also bad but a bit disturbing - It's Alive!, It Lives Again, and It's Alive 3 - Island of the Alive. Another is Motel ****.

Wow, I could go on and on and on!!

I LOVE CHRISTINE! And B-movies are the movies I watched in HS with my friends. Oh, man. Jack Frost 1 & 2 (not the family one, the psycho snowman killer one), Gingerdead man, Maximum Overdrive, IT, The Car, Teeth, The Dentist.... Man. We would go to Blockbuster in HS, after the football game, and all pick one movie that was the WORST one. Just last Christmas, I got my one best friend "ThanksKilling" and "Silent Night, Deadly Night".... and then we made our husbands watch them with us. SO FUN! (for us.... :D )

CanadianCutie~ I used to watch MST3K with my dad and brother all the time. I was sad when it went off air. The show lost a little of it's appeal for me when they traded out Joel for Mike, but it was still hilarious. My favorite episode of that was The Incredible Melting Man. When Crow (I think it was Crow) yelled out "Go melt somewhere else you loser!" I almost fell off my seat laughing. It's also the only way to watch the old Godzilla movies without falling asleep. lol

OMG, I lovelovelove MST3K. They only played it in the middle of the night, so we would tape (oh, god, tape...) them and watch them over and over.. I loved the movie with "This Island Earth"... man. The hours we wasted inside watching that stuff. :lol:

In fact, the DVD's for MST are on my Christmas list this year!!

Serval87
09-03-2010, 10:32 PM
Who here like horror films? I'm a BAD horror film junky, and I mean the bad ones. The faker the better!

I love to watch these movies for Halloween.

I'm starting the kids out young. They're 8 and 10 and I just ordered Ghostbusters and Gremlins. I'm protective of what they watch, but the 8 year old already saw Gremlins at a friend's house. :mad: I was really angry about that because it seems to me that was worth a phone call to find out if my child was allowed to watch that movie. The answer would have been NO! But now that he's seen it, I figure why not. And of course the 10 year old wants to see it because his little brother had.

And for me?! Nightmare on Elm St. movies 1-4. :D I am giddy!

Now I just have to find someone who will watch them with me!! DH will not.

I love horror movies A LOT. Especially zombie movies. I remember there being a brief silence between my husband and I in one of our first conversations when I mentioned a favorite film of mine (Return of the Living Dead) and he was astounded because it was also his favorite film, and no one else he knew had ever heard of it. Same thing happened with Monster Squad. ;)

Oh, and about your 8 year old watching Gremlins. That's a pretty tame movie. Much tamer than A Nightmare on Elm Street (which a daycare I went to before I ever started school showed us. They did send home permission slips, though). lol.

Serval87
09-03-2010, 10:37 PM
In my opinion, Saw (and its ilk) are a different kind of horror - more like torture-horror, which I just am not a fan of.

As far as traditional horror movies, The Ring really scared me! I was watching Paranormal Activity by myself and I nearly had to turn it off. I also liked The Ruins, but possibly because I was a huge fan of the book. The Descent also scared the bejesus out of me.

If you want a classic, I love The Changeling with George C. Scott.

The ring and paranormal activity did absolutely nothing for me. :(

I have very long hair, so when the ring craze was going around all of my friends kept calling me the name of the scary little girl, Samara, and that kind of ruined it for me.

Paranormal Activity really just bored me. I guess I'm desensitized or something. I did like the Descent, but not so much the monster part as the claustrophobia of the setting.

Eliana
09-04-2010, 11:54 AM
Oh, and about your 8 year old watching Gremlins. That's a pretty tame movie. Much tamer than A Nightmare on Elm Street (which a daycare I went to before I ever started school showed us. They did send home permission slips, though). lol.

Are you serious?! That would NEVER happen today! And thank goodness...movies like that send children to their parents' bedrooms for the next 10 years. :rolleyes:

therex
09-04-2010, 06:20 PM
Paranormal Activity really just bored me. I guess I'm desensitized or something. I did like the Descent, but not so much the monster part as the claustrophobia of the setting.

you NEED to watch REC, it's a spanish horror film that's kind of like paranormal activity.. except not bad. Horror films usually don't scared me anymore, because i've just been watching them all my life, but this one made me scream like a little school girl. It's just a really f'ed up movie.

The descent was pretty good too, i'm not sure if i want to take the leap though and watch part 2. I hear it's not terrible.. but.. idk.

Serval87
09-06-2010, 03:28 AM
Yes, I bought Rec a while back, and really enjoyed it. :)

Yes, Eliana, I am serious, but my parents were letting me watch those types of movies anyways and they never really bothered me.

jules1216
09-06-2010, 10:34 AM
My son and his friend were on a search to find the cheesiest B horror movie ever. I think something called the Lair of the White Worm was the pick for the worst.

Myself I grew up watching horror movies, I don't care for the new genre of torture-horror as someone called it.

I also llike the funny movies played at Halloween..Arsenic and Old Lace with Cary Grant and all the Abbot and Costello meet the different "monsters" like the Mummy, Dracula..etc..

Annita
09-06-2010, 10:42 AM
i like horror movies, even though i get scared very easily.
My bf always yell at me that why would i watch them if i would cover my eyes whenever it's scary scene or mute the audio. LOL.
And my bf dislike horror movies so there's another reason why he nags me about them.
hehe.
I still like them <3 But would never watch them alone. Never.

Serval87
09-07-2010, 09:41 PM
I love B-horror. Horror and Comedy work so well together (hence my favorite, return of the living dead). I'm not huge on any recent franchise, though I do like SAW. I hated hostel, though. :( Now I'm more careful buying films that claim that they're "the scariest movie ever made".

Shopaholic1204
09-08-2010, 12:38 PM
Halloween is the ONLY time I will watch scary movies, lol!! I'm a major chicken when it comes to horror movies. I hate the stupid ones though. I'm more into the classic horror films. Like The Exorcist, Rosemary's Baby, The Omen, Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street (although, I have yet to watch the whole movie. I sat through the remake without any problem..but when I tried to watch the original, I was screaming and closing my eyes, LOL!!). I think the classics are just as scary as the movies they make now. The Exorcist still scares the crap out of me!!!

I own the Japanese versions of the Ring & The Grudge, but when we tried to watch them, I made my hubby turn it off and we had to sleep with the light on, LOL!!

Hocus Pocus is a great Halloween movie btw...lol!! It's not scary and they sing and have great outfits!!

Serval87
09-08-2010, 10:43 PM
Nightmare on Elm Street (although, I have yet to watch the whole movie. I sat through the remake without any problem..but when I tried to watch the original, I was screaming and closing my eyes, LOL!!).

I own the Japanese versions of the Ring & The Grudge, but when we tried to watch them, I made my hubby turn it off and we had to sleep with the light on, LOL!!

Hocus Pocus is a great Halloween movie btw...lol!! It's not scary and they sing and have great outfits!!

I heard the remake of Nightmare on Elm street had mixed reviews, but your response really settles that. ;) I knew it would be bad, though. I love the old ones.

Oh, and I'm a HUGE fan of Asian horror (or any foreign horror film for that matter) they always do it better than American horror.

Yes, Hocus Pocus is a lot of fun. :)

Shopaholic1204
09-09-2010, 02:08 PM
I heard the remake of Nightmare on Elm street had mixed reviews, but your response really settles that. ;) I knew it would be bad, though. I love the old ones.

Oh, and I'm a HUGE fan of Asian horror (or any foreign horror film for that matter) they always do it better than American horror.

Yes, Hocus Pocus is a lot of fun. :)

The remake of Nightmare was okay. Not as scary as I thought it was going to be. But it was enjoyable. My hubby thinks I'm nuts for STILL being too scared to sit through the original.

I agree..foreign horror films are much better than the American remakes!!

Eliana
09-09-2010, 02:34 PM
Freddy just gets funny in the end. It's so bad it's actually funny.

I wish I'd seen the new version of Freddy in the theaters. I actually forgot it was out! :yikes:

BlueFlower
09-09-2010, 04:42 PM
I am a MAJOR horror fan, both the funny/B types and the super freakish Asian type. (No, the Ring/Grunge do NOT count!) The French are putting out some pretty good horror these days, too. I have a pretty good collection :)

For fun/B types, I loved all of the Rich Ash/Evil Dead series. Anything with Zombies I really love. Black Sheep was outrageous! Return of the Living Dead was hilarious! :D

For the Super Gore:
Old Boy (Korean)
Evil Dead Trap (Japanese)
Haute Tension (French)
Ichi (Japanese)
Inside (French)
30 Days of Night (Won best decapitation of 2007) :dizzy:
Midnight Meat Train (most blood I've ever seen in a movie)
Frontiers (French)
Dead-Alive

Also loved:
The Hitcher (original)
Event Horizon
Alien/Aliens

I'll have to go home and review my collection!

Serval87
09-10-2010, 10:36 PM
Here's some of my favorites (I just love making lists):

These aren't in any particular order:

Return of the Living Dead,
Evil Dead series,
Hellraiser (1-3),
Nightbreed,
A Nightmare on Elm Street series,
Eraserhead,
Jacob's Ladder,
Let the Right one in,
Tomie series,
Ju-on,
The Eye (ORIGINAL, HATED THE REMAKE),
Infection,
Cat's Eye,
Pet Semetery,
Cujo,
Monster Squad,
Night of the Living Dead,
Audition,
Imprint (it's an episode of Masters of Horror),
The Orphanage,
SAW series,
Rec,
Quarantine,
Dead Alive,
From Dusk Til' Dawn,
Black Water,
Gingersnaps (all three),
Nosferatu,
Phantom of the Opera,
Dagon,
Subspecies series (LOVE RADU! Best Vampire ever with Nosferatu, Dracula, and Barnabas Collins!),
The original Texas Chainsaw Massacre,
Pumpkinhead (first only).

And too many more... seriously. It's kind of sad. lol.

CanadianCutie
09-11-2010, 09:35 AM
Audition was awesome. It really creeped me out but I still liked it. Last October boyfriend and I had a scary movie fest, we'd watch one or two a night. If you want a really good movie Frailty with Bill Paxton. It's more suspense than horror, but it is a very underrated movie.

Latchkey Princess
09-12-2010, 01:48 AM
I did like Audition. I REALLY enjoy Asian horror, they seem to be much better at suspense than America is. There is one I saw, I think it was called Three? But it was sooooo freaky. I mean, way gross and way scary. It was 3 different stories in one movie (kind of like creepshow or tales from the darkside). The segment called Dumplings with Bai Ling gave me nightmares for days (and I don't scare easily).

Blue Flower~ Have you seen the two other movies that come after Old Boy? They are in my instant play queue on netflix, but I haven't watched them yet. Old Boy was just a little bit too freaky! lol