Old 08-29-2010, 08:28 AM   #1  

Smile Hello!

I am looking forward to (hopefully) finally finding support on this lifestyle journey I am choosing to make.
My goals include:
Grand Canyon Hike for my 56th b-day next year
Learning to salsa dance
Introducing to the world the woman that hides behind this body!

I am very successful in my career, but due to my weight / lack of personal self esteem, few people know the true woman inside of me.

I hope to find friends and support on this site that can understand the ups and downs of each day of the journey.
55ANDLIVING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:32 AM   #2  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Oh wow! Awesome goals!! I love it! 99% of people entering a weight loss journey I think have only weight loss goals and usually on a time line. But I think goals like the ones you've listed are more motivating and definitely within your control!

Salsa dancing is great exercise. That and daily walking, a little more each day, will get you to your Grand Canyon hike.

And I can understand about hiding in your body. My inner self is finally starting to come out. I have struggled so much with that. The person I was presenting to the world simply wasn't the person I felt like inside. Now they match and I'm thrilled. And that has happened for me a good 30+ pounds before hitting goal.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:03 AM   #3  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Height: 5'5"

Welcome to 3FC! The support and information here has been invaluable to my journey. No matter how much or how little you plan to lose, or what plan you will use there are groups here to help you!
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:09 AM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Welcome, welcome.. I'm so glad you're here. You have just stepped into a great place, chock full of support, advice, info and encouragement.

I LOVE your goals - so, let me ask you, what's your plan of action to reach them?

I look forward to getting to know you better and hearing of your progress.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 12:51 PM   #5  
it IS all about me!!!

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/165ish

Height: 5'8"

Welcome! You've landed in a super place - this is the first site I visit when I get up in the morning and the last before I turn in. I love it here, and I'll be you will too.
RobinD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 01:06 PM   #6  

Welcome, this is a great place to hang out. You can be yourself here.... or find yourself. You'll find support, humor, honesty and great advice. We're glad you're here!! ( I love your goals too.)
Bunti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 01:33 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

I love your goals! Welcome
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 03:35 PM   #8  
Restart Date: 10/25/2009

S/C/G: 215/160/115 HW: 235

Hello and welcome! This is a supportive place to come. I love that last goal. What plan are you using? I look forward to getting to know you on this journey.
lovemyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:58 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 201/198.6/140

Height: 5'4"

Welcome!!!
sept15lija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:51 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 330/325/170

Welcome to 3FC! It's great meeting you!
StarvingPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:27 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55ANDLIVING View Post
I am very successful in my career, but due to my weight / lack of personal self esteem, few people know the true woman inside of me.
Hi 55 and Welcome to 3FC!

I just wanted you to know that I could have written this post myself when I started out! In fact, it was motivation for my professional career that finally catapulted me into changing my life for the better.

I have a very strong educational and professional background, but I didn't look very professional (and there are some morbidly obese people who manage to look amazingly pulled together all the time, but I just wasn't one of them...)

My self-esteem was so poor that I really didn't take care of other aspects of my appearance like hair and general grooming-- I had this generalized doesn't fit doesn't match halfway to bag lady look that did not match my resume at all.

Well.... fast forward fifteen months: I just did a professional presentation on Friday.... and you know, I could have pulled it off even at my most morbidly obese. I'm a good public speaker and I could have given a good talk.

But this time, was different. I was wearing a fitted black skirt with kick pleats, a ruffled blouse, a really cute trendy black jacket, and a bulky pearl necklace. I felt SO self-confident!!!!!!!!!!

A BIG part of it is that I am so much more self-confident now, and a small part of it is that, sadly, yes, people do judge us on our appearance and some people (not all people) judge obese people more harshly than others.

But, I completely understand the pain of feeling like your resume and your appearance don't match, and I can assure you that fixing that problem is a worthy goal and you will be AMAZED at how doors start flying open for you.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote