South Beach Diet - is CHAI tea okay Phase I food?

View Full Version : is CHAI tea okay Phase I food?

MissKoo
08-29-2010, 12:16 AM
I box a box of black, chai tea and I am wondering about it. There isn't a nutrition box on it (with the fat, calorie & etc breakdown). It doesn't have sugar or hfcs but it does have some interesting oils in it (cardamom oil?). Lots of cinnamon . Anyone have any advice on this?

Suzanne 3FC
08-29-2010, 01:15 AM
If it's just tea with spices then it's ok. Some chai teas have sugar and milk added, so those would not be allowed. The oil in the tea is a negligible amount, probably barely a calorie if that much. It's a very minute amount. Cardamom oil is very strong so a tiny amount will flavor a huge amount of tea.

EmmaD
08-29-2010, 02:07 PM
I've been drinking it every day recently! Iced with unsweetened almond milk. :love: the spices!!

Like Suzanne, said, some mixes include lots of sugar, so those aren't OK. But tea with spices, yum!

Enjoy-

Suzanne 3FC
08-29-2010, 02:39 PM
Oh my that sounds good :T

MissKoo
08-29-2010, 04:04 PM
It's just regular ol teabags - not the mix. I was really surprised that it had so many ingredients listed! That is what prompted me to think twice.

I like to make iced tea with the iced tea maker set on STRONG. I usually add 1/4 cup nf COLD milk & one packet stevia. It's gonna be in the ninties an humid all next week so YAY for iced tea.

murphmitch
08-29-2010, 08:02 PM
MissKoo, what brand are you using?