Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-27-2010, 12:07 PM   #1  

Default NEAT Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis

Hi all,

I picked up a book at the library last week about NEAT - non-exercise activity thermogenesis. The basic premise of the book is that we move way less than we used to "thanks" to energy-saving devices. It's easy for us to spend most of our days sitting in front of a computer screen - at least for people like me who have office jobs. Time and energy saving devices - from remote controls to food processors - and the prevalence of car culture all create conditions where many of us our pretty sedentary. The author argues that even if you are an exerciser and work out by running or taking an aerobics class or something for 45 or 60 minutes a day, you aren't really active if you are sitting or laying down the other 23 hours of the day.

So, he proposes (and I haven't read the whole thing yet) being more active in non-workout ways. He's a big fan of the standing desk or even having a treadmill at the office so we can walk (even slowly) as we work (not an option for most of us, but a cool idea), or pacing while you talk on the phone, or parking further away and taking the stairs, etc.

Now, I've always been annoyed by people who imply that little changes like taking the stairs instead of the elevator or that kind of thing can cause serious pounds to melt. But the author is kind of convincing me to at least try it. I did pace during a phone call yesterday instead of flopping on the couch and made an effort to get up from my desk more, walk the mail out the mailbox, etc.

Anyone else trying to increase their NEAT? What has your experience been? What changes have you made to be more active in non-workout ways?
blueridgegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 01:07 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 323/311/160

Height: 5'6"

I walk or bike to work and campus as often as I can instead of driving. I also leave my lunch at home so when I have a break during the day I have to walk home to get it (I live about 15 minute walk from campus).

I replaced my desk chair with a yoga ball which requires balance and improves posture and core strength, and I can bounce when I get antsy with my homework, and roll around the room.

If I'm going to have a nice phone call with someone I make sure it's while I'm going for a walk, or at least standing up and doing something. Nice time to get some housework done and put things away, even if you can only use one hand... then you just have to make more trips which is good exercise. No lounging while chatting.

I have 3 housemates but I take the initiative to go get the mail, tidy up, do dishes, etc even when it's not my turn. It makes for incredibly happy roommates and more movement.
Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 01:25 PM   #3  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I believe it, especially combined with regular strenuous exercise. This summer I was ACTIVE! Now starting back at school, just sitting at my desk, the pounds are not moving. I'm so tired at the end of the day I go home and crash.

I have a treadmill in front of the tv and I walk anywhere from 2.5 to 3.8 on it when watch a show. I also like to type at the computer at a rate of 2.0. I rack up some miles that way.

I too am not a fan of "just take the stairs" as a way to lose weight. If only it were that easy. But in combination with everything else...heck yeah!
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 01:34 PM   #4  
smexin' it up ♥

S/C/G: 123.4/116.4/80

Height: 180cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlasting View Post
I replaced my desk chair with a yoga ball which requires balance and improves posture and core strength, and I can bounce when I get antsy with my homework, and roll around the room.
that sounds soooo fun

I buy food for only a few days at a time (and as much as i can carry) so I walk to the shops at least 3-4 times a week instead of driving once a week.
summershine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 01:46 PM   #5  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

I can't move much while I'm working (wear a headset attached to my laptop), but I do try to fit in as much moving around as I can during non-work hours in addition to structured exercise. Even cleaning up around the house as ineffeciently as possible. In the past I would have gathered everthing that needed to go to the kitchen into one trip, now each item is a separate trip on purpose. Silly, I know, but figure it can't hurt!
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote