Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-27-2010, 10:55 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 155/130

Height: 5'3"

Red face Overseas and Overweight

Hey all,
I'm totally new to this whole thing, but I thought this site could be the support I needed to finally shed the weight and keep it off.

As of now, I've been currently living overseas for the past two years and I have seen my weight fluctuate so much, I'm at loss of what to do. Before leaving the states after college graduation, I weighed 139lbs. Starting at 200+lbs, in my last year of college: I joined a gym, walked my dog everyday for an hour (sometimes jogging), did sit-ups, crunches, yoga and basic belly dancing, and of course I ate smaller-healthier portions. So its easy to see how I lost the weight.
But sadly, being overseas means a change in diet, the amount of time and availabily to exercise when free, and of coure the stress load from work. I know I've fallen off the horse, blaming the stated reasons and myself, and I've tried so many things to get back down to the size I was before I left. I'm a confessed yo-yo dieter and I want to stop.

I would like to reach my goal of 130lbs.
I'm interested in any and all (healthy) suggestions and/or opinions.

Please and Thank you.
KattoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:13 AM   #2  
Finding my wings...

S/C/G: 256/see ticker/156

Height: 5'2 and a freakin' HALF!

It IS really hard to diet overseas... I spend weeks (sometimes months) at a time in India with my boyfriend and I gain for sure. I gained 6lbs last time, and that was WITH a stomach bug (I shoulda lost as much as I was in the bathroom!! sorry for the tmi)...!

Good luck... I know you can find a way! I'm gonna try harder this time too! (I'm leavin again in 1 months!)
starfishkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:27 PM   #3  

I'm currently living in Japan now as an English teacher. I came out here with two main goals: 1. Improve my Japanese and 2. Lose weight. To my amazement, I'm not fluent but I'm about 45 lbs lighter. I don't know why everyone has the misconception that Japan is the land of healthy food because there is soooooooooo much out here that will put someone like me in a food coma lol. There are different kinds of foods and ways to cook them, but I just learned to reduce my portion sizes. That way I'm not overly obsessing about calories in foods that I can't even pronounce haha. And I have a trusty bicycle that I ride literally EVERYWHERE, that's tons when I'm used to zipping around in my Mazda PM me if you have any questions
Meeky2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 02:19 AM   #4  

Sadly, I actually had that healthy misconseption. I knew it wasn't going to be sushi all the time or anything, but I wasn't expecting Japan to have so many pasteries and sweets. I have a huge sweet tooth and I'm a choco-holic, which is of course, a bad combo. I'm also one of those people who like to try new things (especially food) once. Unfortunately, as you've said, you can go into a food coma with all the foods to try. Who knew such a small country could have such a diverse way of cooking?
But luckily, I'm like you. I have to bike to and from work 2-4 times a day.
(A good hour on the bike, going up and down hills). But I feel sometimes like its my only work-out for the day.

While living in Japan:
What do you do to work-out?
(I bike, do crunches, and I try to go to the gym when I have time).

What have you tried to eat and/or not eat?
(Its been hard, but I have been cutting all those pasteries out. But ofcourse, I still eat more rice than I did back in the states. However, I did find brown rice!-YAY!!!)

And in what ways did you cut your portion sizes?
(I've tried do it, but some how I can still go back for second or thirds).

Thanks for the help.
~Katt
Old 08-28-2010, 02:29 AM   #5  

No worries on the TMI. After only being overseas for 3 months, I had the same problem. However, instead of going back to my original weight or staying at that size, I gained it all back, and then twice as much (a little too quickly).

But since you're traveling to and from India quite a bit, what do you do when you return home? Is it difficult to shed the weight you just gained?
As I said, my weight fluctuates. And in the past few months I've been bouncing between 150 and 160. Do you have that same problem too?

Indian food is really popular in Japan, and I know how much eating it can add to a girlish figures. But it really doesn't help when you have one of the best Indian resturaunts in town, not more than 2 blocks from your house. (lol)

Hope the next trip goes well.

~Katt
Old 08-28-2010, 10:30 PM   #6  

I love the sweets too. I found my self at the local "conbinis" like Lawson and Family Mart having a field day. I just don't understand how everyone in this country is so stinkin skinny!

But that aside, I have workout dvds that I do in my little apartment. I have 30DS, Walk Away the Pounds, Insanity, P90x, and The Firm Wave (that I shipped here from home). Out of those I can usually stick with the Firm or WATP. Shaun T is just too insane for me and I don't have all the weights and stuff for P90. I've been trying to stick with 30DS, but Jillian is tough

As for food, I pick lean meats, vegetables and rice for dinners. I make my vegetables the largest portion. I, too, was eating my weight in rice thinking this is how the Japanese do, so it's healthy lol. But that's carb overload for a carby-girl like me. Since I live alone, I buy the smallest portions of packaged meat from the grocery store. When I cook dinner at home I split the portions of the entire meal (meat, rice, veggies) in 1/2 and eat that the next day. What keeps me from eating it late at night is that I tell myself that I can enjoy this delicious dinner one more time the next day without having to cook again. And after an 8-hour workday and coming home around 9:30 pm that sounds pretty nice

I'm not a big breakfast person, so it's always fruit or toast, something small in the morning. I strive for low cal for lunch. Like a salad or sandwich with a yogurt or fruit. I have to completely cut out sweets for myself. If not, I can't control myself. I tell myself that I can have a small treat after I reach a mini goal or something. Hope this helps
Old 08-28-2010, 10:54 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Yeah, healthy Japanese food is one of the bigger scams. I'm not in Japan right now but I do teach ESL and have to say, you'll find a lot of skinny Japanese girls but they are very "skinny fat" {no muscle, starvation diets}.

Have you guys checked out yam noodles? It's about 13g carb per serving and taste just as good as any other kind (many find Shirataki noodles to be tasteless and gross).

One of my staple meals is traditionally Japanese,

Soup with the yam noodles, an egg, egg whites, lots of mixed veggies, and shrimp thrown in.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:11 AM   #8  

Sacha that sounds delicious, I'll have to pick some up on my next visit to the supermarket! I do a lot vegetable soups and one-pot dishes because it's easy and leftovers are always welcome in my home haha!
Old 08-30-2010, 11:44 PM   #9  

Default Yam noodles!!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeky2004 View Post
Sacha that sounds delicious, I'll have to pick some up on my next visit to the supermarket! I do a lot vegetable soups and one-pot dishes because it's easy and leftovers are always welcome in my home haha!
That does sound good!
Where could I find them? I've never seen them before. I always go for soba because they're made from buckwheat. If you find them or know how to make them let me know.

p.s. Sacha, ありがとう for the suggestion! 
Old 08-31-2010, 07:56 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

I'm in Canada so I'm not sure where you can buy them in Japan (although I'm sure they are more widely available there), Konnyaku noodles.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:21 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 323/311/160

Height: 5'6"

Hm, I know most of you have been talking about Japan, but anyone live in or visit Spain? I'm going there for a short job for about 6 months from January to June and I'm a little bit nervous to keep on track. I know nothing about Spanish cuisine.
Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:10 PM   #12  

I've never been to Spain, but I think it might be a tad bit easier than keeping track in Japan. I think you'll have to be careful with the carb intake with all of the breads and rice in Spanish dishes and I've heard they have some pretty tempting desserts too. Are you a calorie counter Everlasting?
Old 08-31-2010, 10:56 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 223/215/167

Height: 5'7"

I spent 10 months in Spain studying for a Master's degree. I did think I was going to eat healthier with all that mediterranean style food. But I ended up spending too much time reading, working on the computer, etc. and gaining about 20lbs more to my already very overweight body.
It doesn't matter where you are, stress and bad habits do that to you.
I am back home now, where it is harder to get time to cook and eat right, but I manage to lose a little over 6 pounds already.
Cronopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:03 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 223/215/167

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlasting View Post
Hm, I know most of you have been talking about Japan, but anyone live in or visit Spain? I'm going there for a short job for about 6 months from January to June and I'm a little bit nervous to keep on track. I know nothing about Spanish cuisine.
Stay away from "tapas" and "caņas" LOL
Take advantage of the variety of fish and seafood. Stay away from bread and fries. Man they eat a lot of potatoes and bread.
There are some good vegetarian salad bars with a very cheap menue. About 10 euros including drink and desserts. I can't remember ... i think it was called Salad & Co. Close to Callao metro station in Madrid.
Good luck!
Cronopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:44 AM   #15  
Finding my wings...

S/C/G: 256/see ticker/156

Height: 5'2 and a freakin' HALF!

I lost the weight I gained REALLY quickly.. in fact, I think the most of what I gained was water weight.... I was lucky. And yes, Indian food is TOTALLY confusing.... and I'm pretty suspicious that it hides a heck lot of carbs and extra calories in all those sauses!!!
starfishkitty is offline   Reply With Quote