Old 08-26-2010, 02:11 PM   #1  

Location: Wild River's Coast of Southern Oregon near Brookings

S/C/G: 154/152/122

Height: 5'3"

Default Changed up a Recipe for Bread Bars

Bread Bars

On only my second day of the program I am submitting my version of a favorite portable recipe. It makes 8 bread bars that taste great from freezer to microwave (or just thawed at your desk at work).

3 MF Oatmeals (I used the Maple)
2 MF Puddings (I used Vanilla)
1 MF Eggs
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp flax meal (optional)
¾ c. Water
3 T. Blue Agave
¼ cup dried blueberries (optional)

Grind flax meal with coffee grinder (optional) and put in bowl. Add oatmeal and add to flax meal, pudding, and eggs. Add baking power and mix well. Add liquids to make a very thick batter and sweeten to taste with Blue Agave. Stir in the blueberries. Prep 8 x 8 by 2 ½ baking dish with Pam. Pour batter in and tap pan until batter is level or spread with rubber spatula.

Bake at 350 for 25 minutes or a bit less. The bread with be dense/moist due to the pudding. Divide into 8 bars. Place cookie sheet in freezer for ½ hour and then take out and put bars into snake size bags and put back into freezer. Warning, if you put directly into bags without cooling first, you will get frost covered bars. I found myself munching on a warm bar for my mid morning snack.

I added everything up on Excel so I could see exactly what I was eating.

Each Bar contains:

98.5 calories
0.625 Fat
15.5 Carbs
3.125 Fiber
7.375 Sugar
7.625 Protein
Karen Clark is offline   Reply With Quote