Old 08-26-2010, 11:44 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

Default Hating your clothes

Hi Everyone,

I am wondering if anyone else is feeling the same way, and if you have any advice for me!

So, I feel like I am having more body issues now that I've lost some weight than I did when I was fatter. I am especially having these problems when I am getting dressed - I hate my clothes! I think it was just easier when I was at my highest weight to put on clothes because I filled them all out nicely and I felt that I looked as good as I could look. Now that I've lost weight, my clothes are sagging all over the place and I can't seem to figure out what to wear to look good!

I have had to give away 3 garbage bags of clothes, which felt good at the time, but I am a student and not in a position to buy all that many new clothes! It got pretty bad yesterday when I had to put ALL OF MY SHORTS in the garbage bag because they were falling off of me. Argh! Even my nighties are getting too big.

I know, I know, it's a good problem to have. But I never thought I would be so frustrated. It took a lot of time buying single pieces of clothing to build up to the wardrobe I used to have, and I miss it!

Anyone else have this frustration? Any tips or tricks?
ilovescience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:52 AM   #2  
Future Mrs.

S/C/G: 291.6 / ticker / 175

Height: 5'9

Do you sew at all? Sometimes running a seam down pants to make the legs smaller or adding darts to the waist band or at the waist on blouses can buy you some more time before you have to get new clothes. It's pretty easy if you have access to a sewing machine.
justjill124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:54 AM   #3  
Calorie Countin' Fool

S/C/G: 274/ticker/150 for now/137?

I totally feel your pain!

It was around Easter (I think I had lost about 30 lbs by then) when I went through the exact same thing. I hated my clothes and felt frumpy in everything. I knew I was smaller, but my body SHAPE hadn't really changed. I felt like a slightly smaller, but frumpier version of what I had started out as.

I went way too long before I bought new clothes, and I think that was part of my problem. Once I finally bought clothes that fit (I started in a 24/26 and was in an 18/20 before I finally got new clothes!!), I felt MUCH better. It sucks though, money wise. Fortunately I have summers off, so just had to buy some new shorts/t-shirts etc for summer in my new size. I do need a whole new work wardrobe now...kind of dreading spending the money. I'm actually thinking about looking at Goodwill and other second hand stores for some "interim" clothing since I (hopefully) won't be wearing these clothes in another 6 months or so. I think it's important to buy a few new things in the right size, just to make youself feel good....and look forward to getting to goal when you can really treat yourself!

Last edited by NorthernExposure; 08-26-2010 at 11:55 AM.
NorthernExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:55 AM   #4  
Samantha417

I have that frustration. I loved my clothes at first because when I was at my heaviest I had refused to buy new clothes...so when I lost weight I fit back into my normal clothes and felt comfortable about them. But now that I'm at my lightest, they're all too big, and I'm on the same boat as you...I don't have the money to be buying all new clothes!

Luckily my jeans still fit (though I have to wash them after every wear because they stretch out), so I just bought 2 pairs of new jeans and a couple plain tshirts. That'll last me until I have more money to buy more clothes. So maybe you can do that too. Just go to target or something so you're not spending tons of money!
Old 08-26-2010, 11:55 AM   #5  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

I had the same issue at about the size you are now. Clothes that were too big now seemed sloppy instead of comfortable, but more fitted clothes weren't showing the body I wanted to see in the mirror yet. And didn't really want to buy too much until I got to goal.

My solution was to go on a bit of a clothing "spree" at local Goodwill shop for at least a few outfits that fit at that size. Even now, my favorite outfit is a combo I put together for less than $8.

ETA: Oops, just noticed I was responding in the 20-somethings. Appears this issue has no age limit!

Last edited by caryesings; 08-26-2010 at 11:57 AM.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:03 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 258/229.2/160

Yes! I hate the way my current clothes fit, but when I go shopping for clothes, I'm frustrated that I'm not smaller. Some of my work pants literally fall off of me, but I can't find any to replace them.
AmandaW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:23 PM   #7  

S/C/G: ticker

Height: 5'6.25''

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovescience View Post
Hi Everyone,

I am wondering if anyone else is feeling the same way, and if you have any advice for me!

So, I feel like I am having more body issues now that I've lost some weight than I did when I was fatter. I am especially having these problems when I am getting dressed - I hate my clothes! I think it was just easier when I was at my highest weight to put on clothes because I filled them all out nicely and I felt that I looked as good as I could look. Now that I've lost weight, my clothes are sagging all over the place and I can't seem to figure out what to wear to look good!

I have had to give away 3 garbage bags of clothes, which felt good at the time, but I am a student and not in a position to buy all that many new clothes! It got pretty bad yesterday when I had to put ALL OF MY SHORTS in the garbage bag because they were falling off of me. Argh! Even my nighties are getting too big.

I know, I know, it's a good problem to have. But I never thought I would be so frustrated. It took a lot of time buying single pieces of clothing to build up to the wardrobe I used to have, and I miss it!

Anyone else have this frustration? Any tips or tricks?
Yes, I do. I have perpetually saggy-butt because my @ss doesnt fill my pants out anymore. i have bought all new jeans but work pants are harder to find... I wear a size 6... but try finding a size 6 with a 33.5 inch inseam. stupid pants manufatcturers
170starting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:33 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 258/229.2/160

170starting, that's my current woe I carry my weight well and have been blessed with a pretty great butt. Sometimes I lament the bubble butt, but it looks darn good in jeans.

When my jeans fit! I spend a fair amount on jeans and mine aren't quite loose enough to warrant new ones, but loose enough I no longer have any good-a** jeans, as I call them. Work pants, forget it, it is pretty much impossible to find any I like on me.
AmandaW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:38 PM   #9  

S/C/G: ticker

Height: 5'6.25''

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaW View Post
170starting, that's my current woe I carry my weight well and have been blessed with a pretty great butt. Sometimes I lament the bubble butt, but it looks darn good in jeans.

When my jeans fit! I spend a fair amount on jeans and mine aren't quite loose enough to warrant new ones, but loose enough I no longer have any good-a** jeans, as I call them. Work pants, forget it, it is pretty much impossible to find any I like on me.
I understand... I am still wearing my size 10s for work pants simply because the ones that fit look like capris...

I heard you can go on a website... Levis i think... and they can custom make jeans... but who wants to do that when you are still trying to lose weight...

170starting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 03:23 PM   #10  
You can DOOO IT!

S/C/G: 223/*ticker*/150

For work: Dresses are your friend They last through multiple sizes! Now is a great time to buy them, especially if you live in the US with the Labor Day/end of summer sales coming up.

Also, thrift/consignment stores. I had some pretty nice clothes at higher sizes, and I've been consigning them. It's nice to get a little money back for them, plus I can buy nice work pants at the consignment store. I've found Michael Kors and Ann Taylor in my current size!

For everyday wear, Target is awesome, so is Old Navy, for the casual stuff...
misstraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 05:10 PM   #11  
Rather be riding!

S/C/G: 81.5/75.1/60 since 18Feb2015

Height: 157 cm

Wow, I totally hear this topic. I think I get all frustrated at my clothes because I'm constantly scrutinizing my body - lumps here, muffin top there, oh my god you can make out my belly button outline in this - whereas at my heaviest I just threw on whatever and did my best to not care about what I looked like.

Now I see myself as this work-in-progress and I'm reminded of how far I have to go, every time I put on clothes.

Making minor adjustments to my clothes seems to be the way to go for now, can't wait till I can replace my fat clothes permanently!!
LuckyDVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 05:58 PM   #12  
Reducing

S/C/G: 161.4/143.0/130.0

Height: 5'3"

I feel your pain. It makes me really sad when clothes I used to love just don't look good on me anymore. If you have a reasonably priced tailor I highly recommend getting the things you wear all the time or are really attached to altered. I've done that with a lot of skirts, since the only thing that needs to be taken in is the waist.

Belts are also your friend. A thick-ish belt that fits snugly at the natural waist is helpful for dresses or longer blouses, and I have an adjustable stretchy belt for pants that keeps them from drooping too low.

You said that you had to get rid of all your shorts. This summer I didn't want to buy new shorts (also a poor student), so I turned a few pairs of previously tight jeans that were getting loose into cut-offs and they looked super cute.

And, even if you can't afford all new clothes, you might want to head to Target and get a couple of those $7 t-shirts. They look the same as the expensive ones and a fitted top can make it look like your jeans are too big on purpose.
Ms GenghisCohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 06:01 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 198/180/150ish

Height: 5'5"

I am with misstraveller. Thrift stores/consignment shops are awesome when you are constantly changing size. Also if you live in a city or populated/active area there may be clothing trade in or swap programs available. You can find them on meetup, craigslist or sometimes a good old google search. good luck!!
KayNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 06:14 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 131/100/70 kg

Height: 167 cm

I also have this problem! I have lost so much weight since I started my journey and I am aware now that this year I will have to renew my entire winter wardrobe as nothing fits anymore (I dropped from size 24 to size 16 so far). I am considering not to through anything away though as most of my clothes are in a top notch condition. I was thinking of selling them on ebay or a yard sale. I haven't tried it so I don't know if it will work but I do hope to get some money out of there to buy new clothes. Also I am thinking of which to try and modify. I am really in the same state as you are though. I really want to scream now.
preetyladyserenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 06:49 PM   #15  
natalie

S/C/G: 260/171.2/145

Height: 5'7"

I know exactly how you feel. I was starting to feel like self esteem drooping because I was going through the same woes as I did when I first started gaining weight: going to the closet and not finding ANYTHING that looks good. Thus feeling like crap all the time.

School started and I broke down and bought like 100 bucks in new clothes. I shopped around and made lots of good purchases. Most of it can we worn for a while (stretchy skirts, shorts/capri's with tie waists) so I'm pleased, and I feel good about myself again. It will only be for a while, but whatever. I really think I needed this. I dunno if I could handle this massive semester if I felt like a frumpy ugly turd every day lol.

I would recommend buying a few pieces that work with what you already have. You can always shop around at places like Ross or Marshalls, find sales at stores, and look online for coupons.
oodlesofnoodles is offline   Reply With Quote