Old 08-26-2010, 09:15 AM   #1  
active kids, active mom

Default Calorie Counting Reality

Last weekend, while on a 3 day vacation, I did not count calories. I DID manage to eat very healthfully and had much smaller portions than normal. We ate out 3 times and made our meals the rest of the time. During the times we ate out, I dutifully split my meals so that I only ate half. I drank no alcohol and still got exercise.

Nonetheless, I did not lose a single ounce this week. Now, I could just chalk this up to "one of those weeks", but I really believe the 3 days of not counting has more to do with it. Even halving restaurant portions can leave a lot of calories to be eaten. Since I wasn't keeping track, I probably went over each of those 3 days and didn't bother to lessen my calorie count the rest of the week (thinking that the halved meals made up for not counting).

Really, anytime of have backslid in my weight loss efforts, it was because I stopped counting calories. Even if I have a high calorie day, like Thanksgiving, I can always count those calories and then try and adjust elsewhere.

This really wakes me up to how vital it is to count and record calories EVERY SINGLE DAY.

Just thought I'd share.
knitsforfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:53 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 243/233/175

Height: 5'6"

I agree....count, count, count is my mantra now!!! I went shopping with my sister and sister-in-law yesterday and they just had to have a glazed donut before we came home....I ate one too, but man I hated writing those calories down...but, it made me accountable and I ate a bowl of oatmeal for supper.
RollTideRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:54 AM   #3  

Height: 5' 5"

It's really difficult to estimate calories when eating out. I don't know where they hide the fat and extra calories, but they seem to manage it! The other issue is sodium and how it affects your body. I retain water easily, so I'm never surprised to see my weight go up after a restaurant meal.
You did the best you could, you didn't do what many people would and nosh out with abandon because you were on a vacation. I say well done! I'm sure the weight will come off quickly now that you're back to regular eating.
M0vingon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 02:01 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 192/maintaining upper 120's

Height: 5"8.5" 51 yrs

I travel a lot and have recorded every morsel eaten. I will do this until I die. I have found my iTouch extremely helpful. It is always with me, no forgetting the avocado dip, and I have a lot of data bases to search from including the web if I am in a hot spot. I use it as my pda and have my preplanned meals loaded into it. I plan my travel meals ahead of time. I also include a cushion of calories when staying with friends. Then immediately weigh the next morning when I am back home. No hoping it will improve in a couple of days. The very next day, I weigh. Isle of denial is not my friend.

WL doesn't change once you get to maintanence. It is the same and if you are lucky, have a few more calories

Last edited by Karen925; 08-26-2010 at 02:01 PM.
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 02:25 PM   #5  
Knowing I'm worth it!

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

I've learned that if I don't count calories I will NOT lose weight. It's just that simple for me. I stopped counting and gained back almost fifty pounds that I had worked so hard to loose. Now, I'm back and counting. I just got a new computer and last night I bought the Fitday version 2 for my PC. For the last hour I've been putting in my custom foods. Counting is the only way that I will lose this weight and keep it off!
Teresa66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 02:53 PM   #6  
Determined Diva

S/C/G: 321/295/170

Height: 6'2"

I agree with the "count or stop losing," but also with the sodium--if you ate out all weekend, you probably took in a LOT more sodium than you're used to. I just had one of those weekends, too, and after a few days (yes, a few days, not just one, frustratingly!) of upping my water intake, the scale is finally starting to move again. I didn't eat anything off plan, but I wasn't in control of the salt added during cooking.

I'll tell you this, I'm much more inclined now to be a pickier restaurant order-er, and I'm going to start being more politely assertive about having less salt, and I think there are things at all restaurants that can be ordered with less salt.

So let's keep on counting!!
LiliK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 03:39 PM   #7  

Height: 5'0"

Thank you from a Newbie. I am trying so hard to write down every little thing!
leannerenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:54 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 192/maintaining upper 120's

Height: 5"8.5" 51 yrs

It really does get easier with time. I use my technology which is a time saver.
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:05 AM   #9  
I WILL make it!

S/C/G: 220/186/160

Height: 5'8 ~ 51 years

I'm old school...pen and paper. It doesn't matter how you record it, just make sure you do! Lots of technology out there to help, but not using any is no excuse, we have to be accountable.
countryhomeschoolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:17 AM   #10  
Just keep swimming...

S/C/G: 215/ticker/140

Height: 5'8"

Fortunately for me, I eat so many of the same meals over and over that it is easy to jot down the total count for a meal. I agree that tracking is key!

knitsforfive: Congratulations on maintaining while on vacation, though, that is still an awesome accomplishment!
My Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:04 AM   #11  
active kids, active mom

Yes -- I'm a high tech recorder with my iphone. I just felt strange doing it with other people while on vacation. I have learned my lesson about that. I did drop 1 lb. after being home 4 days and exercising extra. I really am not upset about the lower week. It just woke me up to how even a few days without counting can make the rest of the week or even month much more difficult.

I need to start being unabashed about counting and just do it wherever I am.
knitsforfive is offline   Reply With Quote