Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 08-26-2010, 04:50 AM   #1  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Default Preventing Loose Skin

I'm not sure if this is the right forum so moderators feel free to move this if it is not.

I've been trying to read up on ways to prevent having loose skin after weight loss. I've found two interesting articles so far. One said that really focus on moisturizing your body. Put on lots of lotion, drink plenty of water, and scrub your skin every day to get rid of dead skin cells because new ones are more elastic.

The second article I found was this: bodyfatguide.com/LooseSkin.htm and he was basically saying that you need to work on eating a healthy diet (not just cutting back a lot on the calories) and do weight training.

Both articles also said that slow weight loss is good the best to prevent this.

I'm wondering... is there hope? If I do this can I actually avoid loose skin after weight loss? I already see my stomach sagging some but my arms/legs seem to be just fine. I've been trying to scrub everyday and put on lots of lotion. It seems to help... but maybe that's just me losing weight in general... so it's hard to tell?
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:36 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 250/110/110

Height: 5'4''

Hi there!

You like many others have the same main concern. The scary "loose skin!" From what I've gathered, several factors contribute to whether or not you will have loose skin. Such as age, the length of time you've been overweight, the overall elasticity of your skin, etc.

Me? I was overweight for 9 years. When I lost my 121 lbs, I had loose skin on my arms, inner thighs, and tummy. I can't get it "fixed" with plastic surgery, although I'd love to, but it's just too pricey. It took me a year to lose the weight, so I like to think I did it the healthy, right, slow way. I've been able to maintain just fine, especially being 23 weeks pregnant! On the plus side, my belly isn't getting any new stretchmarks while the baby is growing! Never thought I'd be thankful to my loose skin for that! Maybe one day I'll fix it, but I do wish there was a way to prevent it from happening. I think like a balloon that you inflate and deflate over and over, it just stretches out, so do our bodies. It can be discouraging and a turn off at times, but I'll take this loose skin over my old body any day! I'm sorry I wasn't much help. I know a lot of ladies here haven't had the loose skin problem. I hope you won't either! Best of luck to you!
guamvixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:20 PM   #3  

I still have 40lbs or so to lose but I will tell you this as it;s working for me somewhat.

Do exercise and weight training as early as possible in your weight loss plan. From the beginning is best.

It really does help pull everything in and up somewhat, as all your tissues are connected. I've lost about 60lbs so far, and I don't have bingo wings that are anywhere near as bad as they should be for that amount of weight loss. I've lost the weight slowly over a year too, which is said to be better for helping the skin and body djust to the shrinkage so to speak.

Crunches won't remove stomach fat
, but they will tone the muscles underneath, and even though I still have a big lower belly roll, you can clearly see a bit of definition above and around where I've done ab exercises, and this makes the whole stomach look much better than it would had I not done those abs from the start.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:56 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 291.2/287.7/250

Height: 5'2

I have the same fear with the loose skin. I have only been this big for 2 years and before was never really small I stayed in the 150-160 range. Am I likely to get the loose skin? I also had a c-section which I know no work out can fix that loose skin once the weight is gone. I have been doing lots of exercises with weights and can even see my old calve muscles showing again! yay!
mommy1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:21 AM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I urge you not to fear the loose skin. Fear NOT having the loose skin and remaining obese. Loose skin doesn't cause horrible, debilitating, deadly diseases such as many cancers, diabetes, heart disease, liver disease, gout, skin conditions, gastrointestinal problems, digestive problems, etc..

Any loose skin you should get is most likely VERY easily covered up with the right clothing and some good undergarments - the fat - not so easy to cover up.

Having loose skin won't sap you of energy, stamina, productivity. It won't prevent you from fitting easily into small spaces, amusement park rides, airplane seats, restaurant booths.. IT won't keep you from walking with a bounce to your step and feeling absolutely MARVELOUS.

As for the speed of weight loss - that's really not a factor. It's got a lot to do with genetics, how overweight you are and for how long and age.

Take a look at this sticky with more info:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/body...skin-faqs.html

Though I have gained some loose skin with my weight loss, I have truly gained so much more - my health, my vitality, my femininity, self confidence, self respect, freedom, joy, happiness and an incredible wardrobe!!
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:10 AM   #6  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

The two articles you mentioned, I do all those things. I weight train, stay hydrated, have started moisturizing daily (to improve skin elasticity) and using body scrubs when I shower.

I'm also young and have only had the extra weight for about 6 years and am losing slowly. So I know the odds are for me in this respect.

No loose skin yet, despite my paranoia there is none. All of the above won't prevent it completely if your body is just dispositioned to get it anyways, but it can help reduce it at least. Do what you can and play the waiting game, you won't know until your there. As well as your skin can take about a year after reaching goal to reform to your body shape.
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 09:48 AM   #7  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Thanks everyone for the responses! I've only been at the 200lb+ range for less than 2 years (basically due to pregnancy and then I didn't lose the weight right away afterwards). Pre-pregnancy I was stayed in the 170's-180's in the last few years. I'm also 28 so I'm *hoping* all that counts in my favor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
I urge you not to fear the loose skin. Fear NOT having the loose skin and remaining obese. Loose skin doesn't cause horrible, debilitating, deadly diseases such as many cancers, diabetes, heart disease, liver disease, gout, skin conditions, gastrointestinal problems, digestive problems, etc..

Any loose skin you should get is most likely VERY easily covered up with the right clothing and some good undergarments - the fat - not so easy to cover up.

Having loose skin won't sap you of energy, stamina, productivity. It won't prevent you from fitting easily into small spaces, amusement park rides, airplane seats, restaurant booths.. IT won't keep you from walking with a bounce to your step and feeling absolutely MARVELOUS.

As for the speed of weight loss - that's really not a factor. It's got a lot to do with genetics, how overweight you are and for how long and age.

Take a look at this sticky with more info:

3fatchicks.com/forum/body-image-issues-after-weight-loss/36040-weight-loss-skin-faqs.html

Though I have gained some loose skin with my weight loss, I have truly gained so much more - my health, my vitality, my femininity, self confidence, self respect, freedom, joy, happiness and an incredible wardrobe!!
Oh, and definitely. Trust me even if I do end up with loose skin at the end that's not going to stop me!!! I was just wondering if there is any truth to these ways of preventing it. The FAQ really helped. I was skeptical when I read those articles that I talked about above because it seems that loose skin is so common that it seemed like it was a lot more than just a person not having enough muscle tone or loosing too quickly.

I've always considered having a breast reduction (even when I was at my skinniest in the 140's) so if I do have loose skin I might consider doing that at the same time. Definitely NOT set in stone, though. But it would be certainly well after we're done having kids since we want at least one more.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:53 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 310/235/175

Height: '5''4

I lost 75lbs in a little over a year (have been at a plateau at this weight for almost 2 years now). I have flab under my arms, what I call my "bat wings". I weight train, my personal trainer has instructed me on some exercises to do w/ weights that she says should help. I've only been working at that portion for about a month now. Hopefully I will see success? Hasn't been any yet. Does anyone have other pointers?

I have thought about surgery in the future, but frankly I don't want to go through one. If I can do something to work on it so that I don't have to have a surgery, I would much rather do that, ya know?
GoonieGal85 is offline   Reply With Quote