Old 08-24-2010, 10:27 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/210/120

Height: 5'3"

Default At night im ready to lose weight but by morning, all motivation is gone

Each night I prepare for my next day. I plan what ell eat, and when ill exercise. But in the morning all motivation is gone and I literally don't give a whoot. I'm hoping that by being on here on the way to work I will build up some motivation for the day... I know I want to lose weight. I want to lose quite a lot by Thanksgiving. How do you keep up with it??
briters89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:51 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 186.6/181.8/150

Height: 5'9"

Losing weight is hard. You know that. And there are so many different ways to do it. I tried several times over the past year without success. In July I joined Weight Watchers (I'm not trying to sell you on this, I'm just sharing what is working for me). The support is great motivation. Also, knowing that you have your meeting on so and so day and you will be weighed is pretty good motivation. I also got "The Beck Diet Solution" last week, and that seems to be helping as well. It's cognitive therapy and can work with any healthy diet plan.
In the end, you will need to find what is motivating for you. For me, it's myself. I am tired of being tired. I can't even go up three flights of stairs without being winded (still looking for my exercise motivation). I have a hard time getting up in the morning. I want to live life to the fullest. And in 2 years I gained 40 pounds. I don't want to live like that.
I hope you find your motivation. These boards are great for that!!!
ade903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:05 AM   #3  

Ashley, I loved weight watchers. I was on it for about 9 months, and lost almost all of my weight. The only issue I had was that I got to 150, and felt wonderful, but they said I was still too fat, and needed to lose 10 more pounds. That's when I quit and gained it all back, plus more... they said I could get the docs ok that my weigfht is good, but I didn't have insurance...
Old 08-24-2010, 11:13 AM   #4  

Yeah, a lot of people have that issue. I think it's crap, too. Their reasoning is the "lifetime" members don't have to pay. Do they really think people are trying to cheat the system? *sigh* I'm sorry your end experience with them was bad. Perhaps you have insurance now? I know it sucks having to take that extra step, but if WW gave you that push you needed, it might be worth it. Think about how improved your life will be!
Old 08-24-2010, 11:39 AM   #5  
Samantha417

I had the opposite problem with WW. I joined, and right off the bat everyone looked at me like I was some "skinny *****" for joining because I needed to lose 30 lbs, while others had way more to loose. If I didn't lose one week or I gained one week, they were actually happy about it, which really brought me down. I also had a dairy problem during that time, and I couldn't stick to my daily points allowance because soy products were higher than regular dairy. Instead of helping me plan out my day, they just shrugged their shoulders and turned away...so I quit and gained it all back plus 10 in a year.

Try planning your meals and such in the morning. I know you don't have the motivation in the morning, but maybe that's because when you planned your meals the day before, your food mood was different. If you wake up and plan your meals, you may want something different to eat for that day. It's easier to plan and easier to follow.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:52 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 237/234/150

I have the same problem. I want to wake up and make a healthy breakfast, and lunch to take to work, or wake up and work out, and have every intention to and it just doesn't happen. I try and get everything ready the night before. I wish I could help, but just wanted to let you know, that you aren't alone with that problem.
Cassie8236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:29 PM   #7  

Height: 5'0"

Do you actually pack lunch and breakfast the night before? That helps me when I wake up in the mornings- it's all ready for me so even if I feel "blah" about it, it's already done.
leannerenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 03:53 PM   #8  
Lindsay

S/C/G: 220/210/150

Height: 5'7

man, I have been through this. I have like the worst willpower ever, seriously. but something inside of me just snapped about two months ago, and I asked myself if I wanted to live this unhappy anymore and that's when I decided to change.

weight loss is hard. it needs a lot of patience. if I'm yucky and don't want to be on a diet, I just think, will eating that make me happy in ten minutes? if I go shopping will I feel horrible and not be able to look at myself?
in the end comfort and foods aren't worth it.
Mickeypnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 04:07 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 237/234/150

What do you take for breakfast? That's usually my biggest downfall of the day.
Cassie8236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 04:40 PM   #10  
Exercise the Mind

S/C/G: 196/175.7/148

Height: 5'8.5"

My advice? Ditch the passive voice. Constructions like "it's just not happening" and "all the motivation is gone" disguise the cause and effect of what's happening. Here it is, re-written in active voice: "I am not prioritizing my health." You're living by other priorities. That's well and fine--other priorities are important--but health is one of those things you have to do more than just *say* you're committed to. You gotta show up.

I have a feeling that we could all use a little cognitive therapy. We all start out by saying "I want to lose X amount of weight (usually too much) by X date (usually too soon)"--but just saying that, and then letting the days tick by toward Day X doesn't actually change anything (even though it felt like it might, when you set the goal!). You have to live in the active voice. Those are the only times when I've become successful--ditch the excuses, realize that it doesn't matter whether or not you feel like it, and just DO it.

My latest successful recipe planning? I write down all the things I'm going to eat, the night before. But I make it a flexible list--six or seven different things that I get to eat throughout the day, whenever I want.

Then I tell myself that those are the ONLY foods--there are no other foods, for me. I look at my list of options and think, hmm, which of these delicious foods would satisfy me at this moment? I know, I'll have some yogurt and one of my two kiwis. Then I cross them off. It's really working so far.

You can DO it! I know it!
rschroed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 04:47 PM   #11  

rschroed - good idea with writing it down and eating what you want off of that list and ONLY that list. Part of the cognitive therapy book says to plan your food the night before and that's it (same idea). And I guess I've been doing that, too. I'll eat what I want as time goes on, but if I didn't plan it, I don't get it.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:20 PM   #12  
Ready for a change!

S/C/G: S/C/G: 277/277/150

Height: 5'8"

I was just thinking about posting this, its my exact problem!!! At night I'm so gung-ho about sticking to my plan and eating right and exercising, but come morning, I make excuses and think okay I'll exercise later, or a little bit of this won't hurt...I really hope this changes! Maybe when school starts up again (my schedule with be much more hectic compared to summer semester) I can stick to a routine. Like someone else said, that something just snapped in them and they started following their plan, I hope that happens with me soon. Thanks for posting this and all the suggestions!
love114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:13 PM   #13  

I love the ikdea of writing down the food you allow yourself to eat, and only eat off of that list! I think ill give that a shot . And I do want to join weight watchers again. Unfortunately, I'm more poor than the last time I joined, so ill have to wait a while. I think I got lazy last time also, and could have kept trying and I would have achieved my goal... ill talk to my hubby and see what he says. Problem is, my h usband can lose weight on his own, so he thinks I should be able to lose weight on my own...
Old 08-24-2010, 09:41 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 220/211/150

I have exactly opposite problem. I do really well all day and then at night after I've worked all day, chased toddlers all evening I'm like "Damn! I am HUNGRY!"

One way I've gotten around it is by eating a small and healthy snack a few hours after dinner each night before I go to bed. (this was recommended when I was a diabetic when I was pregnant too).

But if I REALLY screw up, I'm not even hungry the next morning because I"m like "the two sandwiches I had last night apparently didn't get completely digested you newb! wtf were you eating last night at MIDNIGHT?" And I make myself eat a bowl of oatmeal anyways.

The important thing, like someone's siggy on here says is "Persistence is more important than Perfection".

A quote I love from a calendar I have of Bill Wilson (inner city NY missions guy I adore) is "The ability to finish is only achieved when your commitment is stronger than your emotions" (I recited that to myself my entire senior year of college and am now reciting it to myself this last of my grad school and in regards to my weightloss goals!)

So don't let it get you down, just keep on keeping on!

Last edited by boots; 08-24-2010 at 09:42 PM.
boots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:58 PM   #15  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

Sounds like you need to talk to your husband about what support you need from him at the moment. I also write down things i will eat, usually a week in advance lol, but i do change it up every week so i dont get bored! And i try to learn from the week, like "ok on monday we always go out and i end up eating too much that day, so if i make breakfast and lunch a bit smaller and make better choices that dinner i can have a better week...and this day I was more hungry because i do more running around that day so perhaps i can add something in there..." and i just play around with and see what happens and what i like/dont like. If its a plan, it becomes a habit and thats a lot easier to deal with
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote