100 lb. Club - I want this dog gone! (graphic)

View Full Version : I want this dog gone! (graphic)

Ciao
08-23-2010, 03:38 PM
http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/JeMappelleSierra/Photography/Divider-1-1.jpg

First off, let me say I do not mind
dogs or animals at all. Just this particular
dog I strongly dislike! My grandmother lives
with us and I love her deeply but she just
doesn't think sometimes. Anyways, she got
this dog about 8-10 months ago and it's VERY
skiddish around humans. We believe it was
abused as a puppy. The dog is a Siberian Husky
with a wolf mix. Here's where the trouble begins.

Last year, around Christmas time, I came into
my room to find a dead, torn-open, bunny on my
floor! It was my grandmother's bunny that had
gotten out of it's cage and Kita (the dog) had gotten
a hold of it and killed it. Right then and there my mother
wanted to put the dog to sleep. But my grandmother refused.

Then my cat had kittens. We managed to get rid of all
but one (my mom had friends who really wanted kittens).
And I really got attached to this kitten and we were
thinking of just keeping her because she was so cute.

Well guess what? Kita got a hold of her and killed her.
I'm so sick of this! I fear now because we have my newborn baby
sister and I'm NOT taking chances. My grandmother is
SUPPOSE to be moving out soon and taking the dog with her.
I guess I just need to vent. :(

EDIT: I understand that it's the dog's natural instinct
to hunt. I suppose this rant is just more of my grandmother
not getting rid of it rather than what the dog had done.

http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/JeMappelleSierra/Photography/Divider-1.jpg

EagleRiverDee
08-23-2010, 03:43 PM
Huskies are naturally skittish, that's normal. So, unfortunately, is the instinct to kill small animals. It's a hunting instinct.

I completely disagree that the dog should be killed. The dog should be relocated to a home where they don't have small animals and where the natural shyness of the dog is understood.

I understand your frustration but it'd be far kinder to find the dog a new home. There's nothing wrong with the dog, other than it is the wrong breed for your family. You might see if there is a husky rescue group in your area, or even contact one outside your area. I'd keep mum about the "part wolf" part, as in some places that is illegal and will result in the immediate confiscation and destruction of the animal.

Ciao
08-23-2010, 03:51 PM
http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/JeMappelleSierra/Photography/Divider-1-1.jpg
I understand your frustration but it'd be far kinder to find the dog a new home. There's nothing wrong with the dog, other than it is the wrong breed for your family. You might see if there is a husky rescue group in your area, or even contact one outside your area.

Oh yes, I completely agree with everything you
said here. Like I said, I have absolutely nothing
against animals. And if we could find a place to
relocate it I'd be more than happier to do that.

The thing is, my grandmother is just not willing to
get rid of the dog. That's my only concern.

I'd keep mum about the "part wolf" part, as in some places that is illegal and will result in the immediate confiscation and destruction of the animal.

I understand that.
Truthfully, we DON'T know if it has a wolf mix.
That's just something the former owners threw in
there AFTER we had gotten the dog. It looks
completely Husky more than anything.

I'm not trying to defend the dog or anything.
I, personally, want it gone.

http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/JeMappelleSierra/Photography/Divider-1.jpg

TJFitnessDiva
08-23-2010, 04:27 PM
Since she is living with you & your mom, I would think your mom has final say if the dog stays or goes if she really wanted it gone. I also agree with finding a rescue group instead of putting the dog down...that is irresponsible.

EagleRiverDee
08-23-2010, 05:23 PM
Whose house is this? Yours? Or your moms?

If you're willing to do it, and it's your house, you could simply put your foot down and say that you will find it a loving home (or turn it over to a rescue group whose mission is to find loving homes for rescue pets) but that it will not live in your home any more.

Only you know if that will work. I know with MY mom it would be over her dead body would I get rid of one of her critters, but if your mom is living with you and the dog is causing that much conflict I'd think she could agree. Maybe you could get her a smaller breed dog that is more social to replace this one.

cfmama
08-23-2010, 06:03 PM
Yah... high prey drive are huskies. Totally and completely. DO NOT worry about your little sister... dogs go after prey type stuff and we're not really prey to them ;)

DO find a great rescue or someone that is well versed in huskies to take your pup. A breed rescue will be great as they greatly screen where all of their dogs go.

Robin41
08-23-2010, 06:16 PM
Yah... high prey drive are huskies. Totally and completely. DO NOT worry about your little sister... dogs go after prey type stuff and we're not really prey to them ;)

Sorry, but I find this statement to be incredibly irresponsible. First of all, you do not know the individual dog or its tendencies. Secondly, newborns are mauled and killed by dogs every year in this country and to say otherwise is simply not true. Even normal, well-socialized, family dogs should be carefully watched around newborns and small children. It only takes a moment for a situation to get out of control and for a child to be permanently scarred.

The dog needs to be rehomed, and whoever owns the home needs to step up and insist on it. In the meantime, the child should never be left unattended with the dog.

I've got three labradors myself and love them to bits, but the first responsibility here is to the defenseless child.

EagleRiverDee
08-23-2010, 06:21 PM
While a dog probably will not see people as prey, there are incidents with huskies mauling people. They are a shy breed and not always good with children. I don't think that the incidents with the cat and bunny are indicative of whether the dog would attack a human- it's completely different- but it's a large breed and so (as with ANY dog) I would teach the child proper caution around the pet and not leave a child unsupervised around the pet. That said, I do feel the dog should be re-homed because it's pretty clear that this is not a compatible situation. People come first. Jemappellesierra (the OP) has indicated that she is very unhappy having this dog in the house, and that should be more important to her mother than keeping the dog. The satisfactory answer for all involved should be to find the dog a good, loving home where the owners enjoy Huskies and their unique personalities.

TJFitnessDiva
08-23-2010, 06:46 PM
It's her grandmothers dog....her GM is living with her & her mom ;)

VermontMom
08-23-2010, 08:24 PM
That is a very sad situation!! I love Huskies and wish I could adopt Kita. I'm so sorry about the loss of the bunny and then your kitten though..someone (you or your mom) needs to put the law down and unequivocally state that your grandmother needs to get Kita out of your house. As another poster said, the dog needs to be in a home without any other animals and probably just adults for now.

We (well my husband) adopted a husky/shepherd/wolf mix when our #2 son was under 2 years old. The day I found the dog wrinkling his snout and snarling at our baby son, who was rolling in his baby roll-about-thing toward's the dog's food bowl, was the day I said "we love Nikki (the dog) but she has to go back to the adoption kennel!"

Lyn2007
08-23-2010, 08:55 PM
Dogs with high prey drive will often chase and take down running, screaming children. I'd not ever let the dog in the same room with the child.

Cleophas
08-23-2010, 08:56 PM
It's extremely irresponsible to allow animals with a high prey drive near creatures who could be considered prey, is the dog crate trained? Huskies also need to be walked for hours a day to have their basic needs seen to.

kaplods
08-23-2010, 10:27 PM
I absolutely cringe when I hear people wanting to get rid of a dog (let alone kill it) for being a dog. All dogs are predators. It's not the dog's fault that it's acting like a dog (even the smallest dog has more in common with wolves than with humans). They have predatory instincts, they have a predator's brain, and a predator's teeth. When you're adopting a dog, you're getting a dog - not a person in fur (I also hate when people talk about their pets "thinking they're human" - I think it's degrading to the animal - as if being a dog or a cat or whatever isn't "good enough" It's more likely that your dog thinks you're a dog, than it thinks it's human, and people make better dog-surrogates than dogs make people-surrogates).

I adore wolves and wolf-dogs and wolf-like dogs (huskies, malamutes and other large spitz breeds). They're amazingly loyal, intelligent and independent animals. They're not a pet for people who haven't been trained in owning these wonderful animals - and they're not for people not willing to train, house and supervise the wolf-dog properly. You cannot expect a wolf-dog - or even a husky to act like a poodle (and even a miniature poodle shouldn't be allowed unsupervised access to kittens, rabbits, or babies).

If the dog really is part wolf, it's probably not skittish around humans because of abuse. Wolf-dog hybrids tend to be one-person dogs. It's just their nature. They can make good pets, but often don't because of their shyness and/or agression towards people and other animals it doesn't perceive as part of the pack.

What you're describing though doesn't seem unusual for even a well-adjusted Husky (or poodle for that matter). Dogs, especially large dogs should never be left unsupervised with small pets or small children. Really they should never be allowed, even supervised in a situation in which they are able to harm the smaller being. Even in play the large animal can seriously injure or kill a smaller child or pet. This is a dog that could easily weigh 60-100 lbs or more (if it really is husky and wolf). Expecting it to be "safe" with a 5 to 10 lb rabbit or kitten is unreasonable. Even if the dog sees the smaller critter as a "pack-mate" rather than prey, a dog can't "know it's own strength" - not in the way people can (and even people make mistakes and accidentally harm very tiny animals). If the dog was "playing" with the kitten or the rabbit as it would a fellow canine, the kitten and rabbit still can end up dead. This is the humans' responsibility not the dog's.

Even the tiniest of dogs (and most pets, for that matter) shouldn't be left unsupervised with small children and small pets, for that matter, as even yorkeshire terriers (the smallest breed of dog) have been known to kill an infant.

It disturbs me that you and your mom are pushing for the dog's death. Even rehoming seems premature, without considering other options. Professional training (not just for the dog and grandma, but for every person in the house old enough to participate in the training) really is a must. Training does not remove the responsibility of supervising the dog (or any pet) when small children or animals are present, and that responsibility falls to every human in the home who is able to do so.

I don't know if grandma has the skills to take on a large dog, especially a wolf-hybrid - if the dog really is a wolf-dog. (Many people will falsely claim wolf parentage in huskies and malamutes, because it's considered "cool" to have a dog with wolf ancestry. Most alleged wolf-dog hybrids, when genetically tested - turn out to have zero wolf parentage).

But regardless, both huskies and wolf-dogs are often one-owner, or one-family dogs. Meaning that it could be difficult or impossible to rehome this dog. If the dog is bonded to grandma, the best situation for the dog would be to be in a home with grandma (assuming grandma and the dog go through obedience training).

I'd suggest grandma take the dog to the vet and have the vet determine whether there's actually any wolf ancestry in the dog. Especially if you live in an area where the keeping of wolf-dogs is regulated or forbidden, but mostly because wolf-dogs can present unique challenges. There are some really good books on training and living with wolf-dog hybrids (I've always wanted a wolf-dog hybrid, so I learned everything I could about them, and learned that I am not living in a situation that would be fair to such a dog).

I think the family should support grandma's responsible ownership of this dog - and that means finding a home for grandma and the dog, and encouraging grandma to become an informed and responsible owner through education and training (for her and the dog).

Brown
08-23-2010, 10:37 PM
Grandma needs rehoming.

Bunti
08-23-2010, 11:00 PM
I have a 120 pound Malamute. We have had her for years. She is going to be 12. We adopted her from a shelter when she scared her original owners by growling at a child, her second owner by not doing well on a small boat (duh) and our family dog had passed, and we were missing a dog.

We read up on her, and chose her advisedly. We were managing a large camp in the wild, and she and my husband roamed it all the time. She cohabited with a cat, and our family, although she is most fond of my husband. She is a team dog, and we are part of her team. We work hard in introducing small children to her, and she has done extremely well. She has caught and killed fish and rodents in the wild, but so far no domestic animals. She has been awesome bear protection although I wish she wouldn't chase porcupines, and now that she is old and arthritic, we are caring for her, and keeping her away from most noisy stuff. She has been loyal, mellow, even tempered and quite un-dog like in many ways- but now that she is old and achy, she is being not quite so mellow. Because I researched, we worked hard getting her used to us, and us to her. I I had some worries, but that was 7+ years ago, and she has been lovely.

KimL1214
08-23-2010, 11:00 PM
We own a husky who is beautiful and loving and wonderful with little children. Last year one of our neighbors chickens wandered into her fenced in area... and needless to say... all we saw was feathers flying EVERYWHERE. Huskies have a very strong hunting urge, but if raised right, are wonderful with people. My sister has 12 huskies that she has raised and none of them have ever attacked a human, but all of them have killed their share of small animals, including cats, and almost one small dog. If this dog was abused before your grandmother got her, then there is re-training that can happen, but I would not suggest having a young child around. It really needs a new home. I know that is easier said then done as I am part of a program that rescues and finds new homes for animals all the time, but there is bound to be a program like ours around that will help you. Contact your local Humane Society, and if they don't have room, ask them who else you can get in touch with. Good luck! Feel free to PM me if your family decides to relocate the dog and you need help finding someone, my sister and I can see if there are any other groups in your area if the humane society can't help.

ChubbyBun
08-23-2010, 11:24 PM
I disagree with killing the dog. The dog doesn't know any better. You need to find it a home with someone who doesn't have small children or animals, who can work on it's socialization and behavior.

I would suggest calling a local rescue shelter or humane society. They'll take the dog in and find it an appropriate home.

If your grandmother refuses, keep in mind what's best for the dog and your household. It sounds like she can't reasonably care for the animal. I'd get grandma a lower maintenance pet like a cat if she insists on having a companion pet.

Ciao
08-24-2010, 12:07 AM
It disturbs me that you and your mom are pushing for the dog's death.

Oh no no no. We are definitely NOT pushing
for the dogs death. Though putting the dog
to sleep was my mother's FIRST reaction when
she had seen the torn-open bunny all across
my floor, I know it's not something my mother
would actually push forward with because she
TOO loves animals and was just upset at the time.
And if my grandmother agrees to take the dog
with her when she moves out then we will have
no problem with that. But, like the title says, me
and my mother just want the dog gone.

Ciao
08-24-2010, 12:15 AM

DISCLAIMER: Reading all the post I feel like people
are more concerned about the dog being put
to sleep than my baby sister being around.

Let me say this, we are not some dog-killing crazy
people. I respect that it's the dog's instinct and this
post wasn't about putting the dog to sleep but rather
the safety of my younger siblings.

Thank you everyone for your input and giving us new
ideas and perspectives on the situation. Really, it helped! :hug:

Most likely my grandmother WILL take the dog with her.
She's very good at training dogs on some level (hopefully
she can get a professional's help also) and Kita is very
attached to her. My whole point of this post was
about how concerned I was for my little siblings and
how I just cannot wait until the dog is out of the house.

Me and my mother both didn't even want the dog to
begin with. It's not that we don't love animals, we just
have and only wanted a Golden Lab that is an excellent
family pet for us (and my cat, of course).

I hope this clears up the confusion a little. I know
the title says "I want this dog gone!" but that doesn't
mean "I want this dog put to sleep!" Again, thanks ladies!
Once again you all have helped me a lot. :)

kaplods
08-24-2010, 01:16 AM
You can understand my confusion when you said (in the original version of your original post) "I don't understand why my grandmother won't put the dog to sleep".

Actually I'm very concerned about your baby sister, but not because of this dog - because you don't seem to understand that any dog, even a tiny yorkshire terrier will be a risk to your baby sister, if the humans in the household do not understand the responsibilities of animal ownership. No pet - not even a teacup poodle or a guinea pig should be left unsupervised with an infant or with another pet when the size differential is so great. - and if you don't understand that, your baby sister is at risk so long as the humans do not realize that a baby needs supervision around household pets.

It disturbs me greatly when people get rid of a family pet because a baby is born into the family (barring allergies). Instead of training the pet AND keeping the pet away from the infant, they choose instead to get rid of the animal.

Unless the humans are going to be allowing the husky to babysit, your infant sister would not be in any danger - IF and it's a big IF - if the humans took the precautions necessary to keep the baby away from the dog entirely until the dog was properly trained - and after training allowed the dog and baby to interact only with close adult supervision - but that's a precaution you should take with a teacup poodle, not just a husky.

A dog needs training to be a safe pet - even a 15 ounce yorkie. Your golden Lab is just as much a threat to that baby as the husky - probably more so, because you don't seem to realize the potential harm the lab can do. At least with the husky you're aware of it's potential to hurt the baby. Because you view the lab as "a good dog" and the husky as a "bad dog" you'll be careful around the husky.

It's easy to blame the dog, and easy to blame grandma, but this is a much bigger problem, if you don't realize that your baby sister must never be left alone with an animal of any size until it is safe to do so (and that means until she is big enough to defend herself and big enough to understand how to treat household pets safely (her safety and the animals).

I have a friend who had a lab and a teacup poodle. The lab was the friendliest dog you'd ever want to meet. They left small children with the dog frequently, which was aterrible mistake, no matter how well-behaved and friendly a dog - a small child must ALWAYS be suppervised around the family pets until the child is at least five or six (and can be taught how to appropriately behave around animals).

The lab and the teacup poodle were best buds, then for Christmas they decided to get the poodle trimmed and groomed for Christmas. They'd never done that before, and they left the dogs alone as they always did - and the lab tore apart the tea cup poodle. No doubt the lab didn't recognize his friend, because she smelled wrong and looked wrong.

It wasn't an evil dog. It wasn't an usafe dog. It wasn't even an untrained dog (it had been through not only obedience training, but agility trials as well. It was a dog, acting like a dog - and it was the humans who screwed up.

I had another friend in college. A lab partner who was blind. Her yellow lab seeing eye dog, had to pass extremely rigorous training to become a seeing eye dog. If he had shown any agression towards children, he wouldn't have washed out of the seeing eye dog program. However, a seeing eye dog becomes very protective of their master, and people who are going to interact frequently with a blind person and their dog - are taught not to do certain things that the dog could perceive as a threat. My friends dog did not like children. He never bit a child, but he would growl. She had to take him for retraining, and still because his first job is to protect her, they had to be extra cautious to warn children to stay away from the dog, and only approach with very close supervision from the dog's owner and a sighted adult, so they could spot problems before they occurred. ANY dog can be a threat to a child, and since there was no mention of the dog and the family going through obedience training, it seems premature to get rid of a dog before attempts are made to train it.

It's clear you and your mom don't want the dog, and that's fine - but focusing on helping grandma get a place where she can have the dog (if she's fairly decent with the dog, as you say) and helping her get professional training is a good thing. But if the golden lab hasn't had obedience training, and you don't realize that the lab also cannot be left alone with the baby, I fear very much for your sister's safety.

JustBeckyV
08-24-2010, 11:57 AM
I agree with the others about finding a place where she can live and be loved. Hope you get the situation worked out for everyone!

Misty23
08-24-2010, 12:21 PM
I have experience with skiddish dogs (my little girl is terrified of men, especially if they are wearing hats.)

Dogs can sense fear so if you get nervous around Kita, Kita is sensing that and will feed off that nervous energy.

I personally love Huskies and Malamutes and yes all dogs are born hunters (but this does not excuse the slaying of the bunny or kittens) but there are things you can do and your grandmother can do in order to get Kita to leave them alone.

Positive reinforcement works best in my experience. Get a stuffed animal (not like the toys you give Kita to play with but a different type so Kita doesn't get the two confused) and everytime Kita goes for the kill, make an abrupt noise like a sudden clearing of the throat (I've been told 27 cents in soda can makes enough noise to stop a dog in its tracks). Once Kita looks at you or stops the behavior say good girl/boy and reward him/her with a treat. You have to do it constantly its not just an overnight cure.

I had to do this with my dog ever since I got her to get her to stop barking at every guy she sees. If you want you can message me on here and I can tell you more. I do great with dogs (my neighbors dog had a biting problem but after a month of working with him he no longer bites and hasn't for the past 2 years) just some advice you can take.

Edit: Also did it occur to you that Kita may have just simply been trying to play with the rabbit or kittens? Often people mistake attacks for simple harmless play (unless she was with other pups when she was younger she may not now how to adjust how hard she can bite during play time)

kaplods
08-24-2010, 03:19 PM
I don't think any amount of training can make a ten pound animal a safe playmate for a 60+ pound animal. It's very possible that the dog was playing (at least initially - then the smaller animal's panic triggered a predatory response).

To some degree the predatory response can be modified by training - to some degree it cannot. No amount of training can undo all of the predatory instincts. And no amount of training can make it safe to leave a large dog unsupervised with much smaller animals and children.

There isn't any excuse for the slaying of smaller animals - but it's the humans to blame, not the dog. It's not only a case of the dog not being properly trained, it's a case (sorry to be so blunt, but I think it's really very important to understand this) of the humans not supervising and protecting all of the animals. Accidents can happen, but when an animal "gets out of it's cage" that's the human's fault. Taking precautions to make the situation safe for all of the people and animals in the homes is the humans' responsibility.

Training is very important, but common sense is even more important. I would love a miniature, pocket-sized dog - a teacup poodle, yorkie, or chihuahua. I don't own one, because both my husband and I have issues that would make it unsafe. Firstly our size, we each weigh more than 300 lbs, "accidentally sitting on" such a dog would prove fatal for the dog. I am also clumsy during flares of my fibromyalgia. I could trip and kill such a tiny dog.

Just the size difference alone means that a 60+ pound dog should never be allowed unsupervised with smaller pets and children.

Training is important, and the first step I would make would be to give the large dogs (both of them) absolutely NO furry toys to play with at all. Break that association between furry objects and play things. Whenever either dog goes for "furry objects" or small creatures such as mice, racoons, squirrells, reprimand them (the shaking can of coins works well for most dogs).

There are so many behaviors that need to be trained, that there is no substitute for an animal behavior specialist, particularly one that has had a lot of experience training a wide variety of dogs, especially large, intelligent, independent breeds. That's why it's so important to find out if this dog really does have wolf parentage. Wolf-dogs are part wild, and special training and special precautions need to be taken. They can be trained, but the limits of training, and the type of training has to be modified to their unique needs. Aversive training (punishment) can't be used with wolf-dogs - punishment will make them agressive - this can happen with any dog, but wolf-dogs are much more prone to it. It's been bred out of many dog breeds - some dog breeds will passively take severe abuse, but wolf-dogs still have the flight-or-fight instinct firmly intact.

If no one is willing to take training seriously, and put in the effort of training - rehoming is the most humane option. But it's a preventable option. No one should ever take on a dog they're not prepared for. Before bringing home any dog, of any breed a person should be familiar with dogs, their instincts and training should begin immediately. At the very mention of this dog being potentially part-wolf, every person in the household should have been reading books and websites on raising wolf-dogs.

The death of the other household pets was entirely preventable, if the humans in the household had taken the time to learn about huskies and wolf-dogs and had taken just a few precautions. It's such a senseless tragedy.

I know I sound angry - and I am, because this is such a preventable tragedy, and the solution is so simple and inexpensive - education. That's all it would have taken, a small amount of education. Just reading one or two books (and applying the information, of course. Reading does no good, if no action is taken) could have prevented this.

Too many people don't research dog breeds, or even general dog training before getting a dog. They just "wing it," letting the pet become whatever it will be with minimal, informal training. All dogs deserve better. You can't blame a dog for breaking the rules, when it wasn't taught them - or when the rules require them to act like something other than a dog.

kaplods
08-24-2010, 04:00 PM
I know I've ranted a bit on this subject, because it's one so close to my heart, but I have one more thing I really have to say - if your family does decide to rehome this dog, rather than put in the training it would require to make the dog a happy, safe family member, please rehome her responsibly.

If she truly does have wolf ancestry, she should not be rehomed to just anyone. Many humane societies are likely to put her to sleep just on the rumor of her having wolf ancestry - so get the genetic test or the vet's opinion on whether there is any truth to the rumor. If she has no wolf ancestry, proving it could saver her life.

If she does have wolf ancestry, the most responsible choice would be to contact a wolf-dog rescue. This can be time consuming and even expensive, as it may require travel and/or the rescue may ask for reimbursement for such expenses - but it's the least that you all can do for this dog.

Putting her to sleep would be more humane than rehoming her or keeping her irresponsibly. She deserves a better chance than that, but sadly her best shot would have been if she'd received the proper care, supervision and training from puppyhood. It's very difficult to train an adult wolf-dog (assuming she is). I hope to God that the wolf ancestry is fictitious, because it's going to be very difficult (if you do it right) to rehome an untrained, adult wolf-dog. If you just pass her along to someone who just thinks it would be cool to own a dog that's part-wolf, or if you pass her along without revealing her possible wolf-ancestry I forsee tragic consequences.

To be honest, I don't see an entirely happy ending on this one, and likely Kita will pay with her life for the humans' mistakes.

ThicknPretty
08-24-2010, 04:36 PM
Kaplods, I get what you’re saying….but this is her grandmothers dog. Her family has opened their home to the grandmother and then in turn, to this animal…how much of the “training” and “education” is the OP’s responsibility? She did not choose or purchase this pet.

I love animals. I also love children. When it comes down to it, though, I love children more, especially mine or those related to me. If I felt an animal was a danger to my child (or baby sister), I would under no circumstances permit the animal to be around my child (or baby sister). It’s simple. Being polite or tolerant or PC is just not worth risking anyone’s life. It is very unfortunate that there are so many irresponsible pet owners and that so many animals are abandoned or euthanized because of situations like this…but if it really came down to the safety of my child, the dog would have to go. I’m sorry, maybe that makes me a cruel, inhumane person…

The situation would be a little different if it was YOUR dog, but not much, in my opinion. You didn’t make the choice to have this dog in your house, but you’ve suffered because of it. I’m so sorry that you’ve had such a hard time with this…I hope something gets worked out soon!

cfmama
08-24-2010, 04:37 PM
Sorry I didn't read where they said it was a newborn. Of course a newborn should not be left with ANY DOG EVER!!!!

but to say that a dog that kills rabbits and kittens kills children? Now THAT is the irresponsible statement. They are not even remotely connected.

kaplods
08-24-2010, 05:49 PM
Kaplods, I get what you’re saying….but this is her grandmothers dog. Her family has opened their home to the grandmother and then in turn, to this animal…how much of the “training” and “education” is the OP’s responsibility? She did not choose or purchase this pet.

It doesn't matter who "owns" the dog, every person living in the household, old enough to do so, is responsible for insuring the safety of all pets and children.

"Not my job, 'cause it's not my dog," is a cop-out. If OP and her mother objected that strongly to the dog, it should have been dealt with a year ago, not now. If the dog was a puppy when it was brought into the home - every member of the household old enough to understand the responsibilities of owning a pet, share those responsibilities to some degree.

The grandmother made a huge mistake in bringing a puppy or dog into the house when it was not agreed upon by the whole family. No matter who owns the house, it is irresponsible for any member to bring in a pet without considering the existing situation and every family members' feelings. But it's not just grandma's mistake.

I don't know if the bunny was brought in before or after the husky mix - but that wasn't a very good idea either. Especially if great care wasn't taken (and obviously it wasn't) to keep the husky and the rabbit appart. That's mostly on grandma.

However, bringing a kitten into a household with a possible wolf-dog hybrid (or any large dog) and then not keeping the kitten safe - that wasn't very smart either, and was every adult's responsibility..

Every adult has a responsibility to all of the animals, and to the other human family members not just the ones they brought in.

If you're living with an animal - you need to understand it. Knowing that the dog may have wolf ancestry makes this even more important. I don't care who owns the dog - if you're going to be living with a dog, you need to understand dogs and the dog breed(s) you're deeling with. It's irresponsible to do otherwise.

If anyone in that house had understood huskies and wolf-dogs, they would would have taken the precautions necessary to keep the kitten and rabbit safe, and they would continue to take those precautions around small children.

Large dogs can accidentally and by instinct kill things. It's not only the owner who needs to understand and know this - everyone in the family does. And the mistakes made here are not just grandma's.

The time to object was when grandma brought the dog home - and that doesn't mean just complaining about it. If mom was the home owner and didn't want the dog in the house, she had the legal right to get rid of it. It might have involved getting the police involved, but dealing with it at the time was the solution, not waiting almost a year. Allowing the dog in the house (even if reluctantly) meant accepting partial responsibility for the dog.

There's no doubt that grandma is primarily responsible here, but that doesn't absolve everyone else entirely. Bringing in the kitten was a huge mistake. Allowing the kitten to be unsupervised with a dog that has already killed a rabbit - that's on every single person in the house old enough to have helped prevent it.

Cat's don't just "have kittens" their humans allow them to breed - either intentionally or through negligence. Allowing a cat to breed with large dogs in the house and then not keeping the kittens safe - that's on everyone able to, especially the OP because she is the owner of the cat and the kittens. The kitten's death is the op's primary responsibility (assuming she is an adult).

It seems to me extremely unlikely that this husky is by nature aggressive or the adult cat would have been killed, and there would be many more horrible stories than just what was presented. It's very hard for many large dogs (even golden labs) to resist chasing and harming rabbits - they move too much like prey. This is true of small baby animals too. It could just as easily have been the lab that killed the kitten or rabbit.

EagleRiverDee
08-24-2010, 05:59 PM
It occurs to me that the OP has probably gotten the point. I think there's some assumptions being made about the OP and her family...and then judgments resulting from these assumptions. She said she was venting and has acknowledged the points made- I don't think she deserves to be continuously beat up for venting, especially when people are making assumptions about her family or the temperament of the dog in order to do it.

Brown
08-24-2010, 06:23 PM
Irresponsible pet ownership is a touchy subject for many.

EagleRiverDee
08-24-2010, 06:47 PM
Irresponsible pet ownership is a touchy subject for many.

True. I'm a pet lover- two cats, two dogs, 1 ferret. Love them all! They're my babies. :)

The very best dog I ever had started out as an incorrigible bunny killer. I had pet rabbits at the time, and we had loose ones as well, and it broke my heart when she killed them. She was very fast and could catch them on the fly. After many "chats" (and some corporal punishment) she finally understood that "NO BUNNIES" meant not to attack any small critter (including cats). Later in life she co-habitated quite well with me and my two cats that I got as kittens. No more problems. But it took a lot of time and patience. I had her for 17 years.

SouthLake
08-24-2010, 07:02 PM
jemappellesierra- Sorryto hear that you're somewhat stuck in a fairly sucky situation. I can't blame you for being frustrated, or for wanting the dog anywhere but your house. In the mean time, how many children are in the house? This could be a good opportunity to teach them about dogs and their temperments, and how to properly approach a dog. (obviously newborn sis is a little young for that!) Since Kita is grandma's dog- how much exercise is she getting? Working breeds need lots of exercise, and without it can get restless, destructive, and anxious. Perhaps taking her out for some extra exercise will help you feel a little more comfortable with her, and calm her down some.

And, as a confession. I own a dog who bit a small child. In the face. She is exceptionally sweet, very well trained, and one of the best gosh darn dogs out there. There is not a single person who knows her who would have ever expected her to bite anyone, much less a child. Unfortunately, we were at DH's soccer game and a little girl came running out of nowhere and grabbed her from behind. Lucy turned and snapped, and caught her right next to the eye. She immediately hit the ground and whimpered, and the little girl screamed. Luckily, the little girl was just fine. Unluckily, Lucy has been terrified of children ever since. But, I tell this story to demonstrate that when it comes to the safety of children around dogs- it is part the dog itself, but a lot of it comes down to how a child is taught to behave. If Lucy's mouth had been an inch higher, that little girl would have lost her sight in that eye, Lucy probably would have been put down, and all of it could have been prevented with proper education and monitoring.

Please continue to be responsible and look out for your newborn sister- and when she gets older, remember to be responsible and teach her that any dog can bite, regardless of breed or temperment.

ThicknPretty
08-24-2010, 07:08 PM
Yes, the OP has probably gotten the point.

Kaplods, again, I see what you're saying and I agree to a certain extent. However...they might not have objected to the dog initially because, well, at that point, they really had no way of knowing what would happen next. I think it's totally reasonable for a person, after seeing a dog kill two rather defenseless animals in their home, to question whether or not that animal should be there. I can't relate to the OP's very particular situation, but I imagine I would feel the exact same way. Also, in my family, the responsibility for the pet falls mostly on the person who chose or purchased the pet and I can imagine our family is not the only one like that.

Anyway, either way, everyone in the home should be comfortable with the pets there. And if anyone feels that they or another member of the family is unsafe, there might be some relocated in order. Hopefully, g-ma moves out and takes the dog and everyone will feel better about the situation. I have contributed my two cents and that shall be all!