Old 08-23-2010, 12:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Default Anyone here on 2000 calories a day and lose weight?

According to the Daily Plate I can eat 2050 calories a day and still lose 1 lb per week at my weight and i put light as my activity level. It says I can have 1550 calories for a 2 lb a week weight loss. I set 1550 as my goal at first but I was consistently going over it. So that is why I set it for 1 lb a week. In the past week I only went over my 2050 once and that was because we had pizza and I didn't stop when I should have. :P But overall when my calorie count falls between 1500 and 2000 I feel pretty satisfied, not ravenous. When I was aiming at 1500 I was soooo hungry!

I did lose weight this week, but I went up in weight last weekend due to my time of the month so basically my weigh in was identical to that of August 8th, so its not really a loss overall.

I've only been tracking calories a week and I already found some weaknesses besides the calorie count. Apparently I go over my sodium daily, not just a few days but everyday! (except yesterday, I did pretty good yesterday overall)

Anyway 2000 calories just seems like a lot to me. Previously when I counted calories (when I was younger) 1200 or 1500 max was what I aimed for, but I guess I never weighed this much before either.

Has anyone else lost weight aiming at 2000 calories a day??

Thanks!
ElizabethG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 02:23 PM   #2  

most people can lose weight by multiplying their body weight X10, so if you weigh 150lbs that would be 150 X 10 = 1500. so your calories seem about right for your weight
nitenurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 03:14 PM   #3  
The name is Maria :)

S/C/G: 325/291.9/170(for now)

Height: 5'6 1/2

I could never loose eating 2000.. which is weird because almost every calculator I've tried has told me I need to eat between 2000-2500 to loose at 2 lbs a week this is at light exercise.. the highest I seem to loose at is 1700-1800 and thats with a LOT of exercise! If I don't exercise I have to eat 1400-1600 to loose.. this could just be my body though but none of those calculators have ever given me a correct amount to loose at I've only figured this out through trial and error
mariamherrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 03:30 PM   #4  

Interesting. I guess I will have to wait and see then. I rarely go close to the 2000 anyway (except that pizza day). Most days ended up being around 1700 a bit above or below.

I've been able to lose my first 35 lbs in 6 months just eating less than normal since my hubby is doing Atkins we don't eat as much anymore and definitely eat healthy.

But I've officially plateaued which is why I am starting to count calories and exercise again!

Thanks!
Old 08-23-2010, 04:10 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:290 CW:ticker GW:189

Height: 5'7

i never lose at 2000, i tried it, i dont gain or lose. if i eat 1200 i lose 1 lb a day but i work out A LOT. i stopped doing 1200 because after a week or 2 i start going over. so i do 1700 now
Breannaj1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 04:26 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 306/255/160

Height: 5'6"

I started out doing 2000 per day, and it worked for about a month, but I'm stalled out a bit now. I can still feel my body changing though, and I know I am losing fat because I can see/feel that I am, but my actual scale weight is steady. My original reasoning was that I've done the 1500 before and been too hungry, and I found a good level of satiety/comfort in the 2000, because I typically do a lot of intense cardio intervals, but I'm not seeing the numbers go down and that is starting to concern me. I just finished on the TOM last week, so I am going to try going down to 1800 starting this week and see how it goes.
swtbttrfly23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 04:39 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 299.5/267/180

Height: 5' 10.5"

My goal is to eat as many calories as I can while still maintaining a good rate of weight loss. The easier it is, the easier it is to stick to. So I'd give it two weeks at the recommended level and see what happens. If you're losing weight, why not keep with the higher calories? If you're not losing weight, then you can tweak things.
refinnej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 04:48 PM   #8  

*high five* to refinnej! My thoughts exactly!

I've been putting off even counting calories as long as possible. lol

Thanks!
Old 08-23-2010, 05:04 PM   #9  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

When I joined Nutrisystem, I started at 308 lbs, and they put me on either 2250 or 2500 calories, I don't remember which - and I lost 7 lbs the first week, 5 lbs for the next six to eight weeks, and 2 to 4 lbs during most of my weight loss (I lost 65 lbs).

At that time, I was in my mid 20's.

My calorie needs are a lot lower, now that I'm in my 40's and on disability. Aging and activity level - as well as repeated yoyo dieting has changed my metabolism.

I can still lose weight on 2000 calories IF I choose low-carb foods. On 2000 calories of high-carb eating, weight loss is a lot smaller and a lot less predictable. To lose reliably on high carb foods, I have to reduce my calorie intake to 1500 calories or even less. I'm also a whole lot less hungry on low-carb than high carb.

So I'm also in agreement that the plan that allows me to lose best on the most calories for the least hunger wins in my book.

I've chosen an 1800 to 2200 calorie low-carb exchange plan.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:46 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

The point of starting at 2000, when you are more overweight, is so that you can drop your calories further as you progress and then plateau. It takes a lot more than 2000 to maintain a body that is 200+lbs, so you should be able to drop at that level. As you get smaller, ie. 180,160,140, you need to drop further. If you start out super low (ie 1200), you are hooped when it comes to plateaus. Your metabolism might start to crap out too. And of course, you start to lose muscle in addition to fat - you don't want to lose muscle.

I'm 5'5, 134lbs now, and still at 1525 for losing.

Last edited by sacha; 08-23-2010 at 06:46 PM.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:08 PM   #11  

sacha-Thanks for the info! Congrats on your loss!
Old 08-23-2010, 07:39 PM   #12  

S/C/G: SW:290 CW:ticker GW:189

Height: 5'7

thanks for the info as well. good post elizabethg
Breannaj1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:19 PM   #13  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacha View Post
The point of starting at 2000, when you are more overweight, is so that you can drop your calories further as you progress and then plateau.
The "starvation mode" theory (that your body will plateau more easily at a lower calorie level) is still somewhat controversial. Whether it happens, and who it happens to is subject to some debate.

I think a better reason for starting as high as you are able to - is that change is hard and extreme change is extremely hard. The lower your starting calorie level, the hungrier you will be. The hungrier you are, the more tempted you will be to go off the diet.

[QUOTE=sacha;3449956]It takes a lot more than 2000 to maintain a body that is 200+lbs, so you should be able to drop at that level. [/QUOTE

Maybe so, maybe not. There's more variability in metabolism than is assumed. On high-carb eating, my weight loss can stall for weeks at 1800 to 2200 calories - at my size this should be theoretically impossible. How is my body able to maintain 310 pounds on even 2200 calories?

My activity level is low, because of pain and mobility issues (I'm on disability). When I'm eating poorly (in any of several ways - too few calories, too many carbohydrates...), I have more symptom flares, and become even less active. That no doubt is part of it.

But even so, it doesn't make sense. There've been times in my life when I lost weight at a decent clip on 3000 calories, because I was burning that and more. Until my 40's, I ate a lot of food, and I knew it. I was active and burned alot, but there was no way I could burn as many as I was eating. 7,000 calorie days weren't unusual.

Currently, to maintain my weight, I'm eating a calorie level that in my 20's resulted in weekly weight loss of 5 lbs or more. I did and still occasionally have doctors and others tell me that I could lose quite a lot of weight on 2500 calories or more. When I was younger, this was true, but it's not any more.

There really is no reliable way to guess your current metabolism. You need to experiment to find your appropriate level. But you can't tell anything from one week or even three weeks. It drives me nuts to hear people talk about "plateau's" that are less than a week long. Or conclude they're in "starvation mode" after less than a month of dieting. Or concluding that because they increased their calories for the last three days to a week and they lost more weight than usual, this "proves" they were in starvation mode.

Weight loss just doesn't work like that. You can't draw any conclusions based on less than a month of consistent behavior. Women's monthly hormone cycles can affect weight loss and water retention. Exercise also affects weight loss and it can take more than a few days or even a few weeks for real patterns to emerge. The weight of the food itself and the pace at which it travels through your digestive tract can also play a role.

A person could conclude that eating a lot of vegetables made them gain weight (when the truth is they just haven't pooped them out yet - sorry to be so blunt).

Ideally, everyone would start knowing how many calories they usually eat - then it's just a matter of cutting that by 500 calories a day in order to lose 1 lb per week.

But most of us don't know how many calories we were eating - and then there are surprise effects when some of us discover that we can lose more weight on a higher calorie level (for a variety of reasons). This is sometimes labeled "starvation mode," when that's not exactly what may be going on. It may be as simple as eating more calories, gives you more calories to exercise.

I don't know why I can lose a lot more weight on 2000 calories of low-carb than I can on 2000 calories of high-carb. I do like eating, so I don't need to understand it to see that the low-carb eating has the clear advantage. That I am less hungry on 2000 calories of low-carb than I am on 3000 calories of high-carb, also points me in an obvious direction.

The only way to find out what your body does, is to test it. Use a food journal, and write everything down. What you eat, how much, and how you feel before and after you eat. Describe your hunger, describe your emotions, and your physical symptoms. Describe your activity for the day. Have a lot of energy? Write that down. Feel exhausted? Write that down too. Have a headache or muscle cramps? Write it.

You can learn a lot more from your own body than from someone else's. You may be able to lose on 2000 calories. You may not. Only one way to find out. Start with 2000 calories and keep that journal.

If you lose great, but you feel half-starved all of the time, consider changing your calorie level or changing the types of food you're eating.

All any of us has, when it comes right down to it, is experimentation, and we have to be both scientist and lab rat.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:23 PM   #14  
Owned by Dixie

I say go for it. If you can lose on 2000 calories, feel like you can fit in "pizza day" and not be hungry then more power to you! So give it a week or 2 and see how it goes. I lost doing it really slow at about a lb a week, I never starved, ate healthy and enjoyed "pizza day" too. no one says you have to lose 2 lbs a week to lose weight and hit goal.
L144S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:04 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I would not have been able to lose at 2000 calories a day and I could not maintain my loss at 2000 calories a day. 1400-1500 is about right for me.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote