Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-22-2010, 07:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 170/165/135

Height: 5'5"

Default I need to eat 1200 calories a day and stick with it - How did you do it?

Congratulations to all of you were met your goals and/or met your mini-goals. I'm trying to stick with a 1200 calorie diet, which is the amount of calories that I need to consume to lose weight.

Is anyone willing to share their diet menu? I started eating a veggie omelete and water for breakfast, which usually holds me over for a few hours. I usually get a Subway 6 inch veggie sub on wheat bread for lunch. For dinner, I try to eat a high protein meal, but I usually find myself eating more than I sure....the emotional eating kicks in during the evenings for me and I'm trying to identify why that is happening.

I really am not a cook, so whatever I make is usually quick a simple (i.e. sandwhich, eggs, salad). I use to eat A LOT of fast food and only started making a true effort to stop eating out or at least heat Subway subs instead of Taco Bell and McDonalds. I also finally quit the habit of drinking ALL sodas and only drinking water.

Please tell me what you eat to lose the weight? Specifically, the time of day, the food you eat, and the amount you eat. Again, I'm looking for a 1200 calorie diet. Thanks for your help!
rd290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:11 PM   #2  
I love my muscles!

S/C/G: 169/149/135

Height: 5' 5 1/4"

I was around the same starting weight and height as you. I aim for between 1400-1800 cals a day and still lose around 1 sometimes 2 lbs a week. I figured out my calorie needs by going to http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm To figure out my BMR
I'm low with my calories frequently, but when you're eating lots of whole foods, it's hard to eat enough!

These are things I pick from on most days--

bfast:
I eat lots of eggs (whole eggs, yolk included)
Bacon
only 100% whole wheat bread (at least 3 grams fiber per serving)
Kashi Go Lean Crunch Cereal
Steel Oats with fresh blueberries and strawberries, walnuts & flaxeed
Greek Oatmeal with berries

Lunch:
turkey sandwich with tomatoes, & spinach
Big salad with romaine lettuce and spinach, cottage cheese, veggies(tomatoes, cucumbers etc), & turkey slices

Dinner
lean protein (chicken or fish)
lots of veggies
I still eat things like spaghetti, but do a bigger portion of veggies and only eat whole wheat noodles. I sub spaghetti squash a lot
Chili made with chicken & dried beans
Anything I used to eat but in smaller portions & I add more veggies

Snacks=Broccoli, hummus, fruits, veggies, yogurt, nuts (almonds, walnuts), craisins.

I also drink unsweet tea & water throughout the day

I exercise about 5 times a week.I do everything from Pilates, Yoga, swimming, cardio, circuit training, interval jogging etc

*try to eat lots of protein and fiber. It will fill you up.

I may not be losing weight the fastest ever, but it is something I can sustain forever. The weight is coming off slowly,but I will get there eventually. My body is changing like crazy and I'm enjoying it and loving the extra energy and I feel great!

ETA: So some people may believe that 1200 is not enough, but if you're eating truly healthy whole foods, feel satisfied and have energy, I think it can totally work. In fact I certainly think it's far better than eating the zillions of calories of almost no nutrient junk many people eat every day (like I used to)

Last edited by pinkflower; 08-22-2010 at 10:22 PM.
pinkflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:46 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 183/166/135

Height: 5'6"

hi! I have a blog where I list what I eat and the calorie count. I aim for 1200 calories max.

I don't like to cook either, and I don't eat red meat. I have a bit of an odd schedule, but I think you'll get the idea once you look at my daily meal plan on my blog. In the past week or two I haven't been posting my daily meal plans but before that I posted every day.

Check it out!
BreathingSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:09 PM   #4  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

During my losing stage I was very consistent with my calorie counts per meal. I rarely ate snacks because I wanted to fill full at meal time. For me snacks were just a tease. It worked great for me, but others say they can't function without their snacks...we are all different. SOMETIMES though, I would save 100 calories from my supper meal for a yogurt in the evening.

I call it my 3,4,5 plan.

I ate 300 calories for breakfast. (Actually, I still do this)
I have about 3 favorite breakfasts that I rotate, and I love them all.
2eggs/veggies/whole grain toast
oatmeal/raisins/milk
fibre one/berries/milk

Lunch, I ate 400 calories. I almost always still do this and it usually consists of a sandwich, veggies, fruit, yogurt, or a huge salad with some sort of meat.

Supper I ate 500 calories. Now I usually have more calories at supper, AND have a snack in the evening. (Since I'm maintaining)

Supper is usually 4 oz of protein, a huge serving of veggies, 1 serving of some sort of starch, (small potato, or bread...I don't do pasta or rice...can't stop at one serving and not worth the calories for me.) And a salad with low calorie dressing. The secret is vegetables. In order to get enough nutrients and volume in 1200 calories, you must incorporate lots of veggies. Thankfully I've always loved them...and I'm a farmer...so I grow them too!
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 12:47 PM   #5  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

And I am a snacker.

At my best I eat 6 mini meals a day, so snack (pre-workout), breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner. Each of my meals is 200 calories so the math is very easy.

Preworkout, usually a banana or apple.
Breakfast: usually a yogurt with berries/walnuts
lunch: half a sandwich, maybe a fruit
snack: varies...In the beginning it was a protein bar.
dinner: protein, starch, veggie

I hate posting my menus because they always look so sparse, but it really isn't. I eat so that I am not hungry.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 12:59 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I eat 6 times a day, not 6 meals, 6 times
Breakfast
Snack
Lunch
Snack
Dinner
Snack
I eat about every 3 hours , snacks are usually 100 calories or less. Laughing Cow, Yogurt, fruit are a few examples.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote