South Beach Diet - Staying OP 8/22 - 8/29

View Full Version : Staying OP 8/22 - 8/29

cottagebythesea
08-22-2010, 02:05 PM
It's time for a new week of talking On-Plan!

Anyone, from any phase (1, 1.5, 2, 3, etc.) can post, and those who are new to 3FC are especially encouraged to do so!
This thread is for questions, sharing advice and strategies, and encouraging each other to stay on plan. It is not for chatting about daily life unrelated to this topic. Members have indicated that they would like to have chatting remain in the Daily Thread, so any posts that are off topic or chatty will be moved by the mods to the Daily.
Because people from different parts of the plan are posting here, it'll help everyone if you indicate what phase you're in when you post. Thanks!
While you may certainly find, from time to time, the need to ask for help after going off plan, remember that this thread is about staying on plan. When you share details of off plan foods you've eaten, it can upset, tempt, and otherwise frustrate other members, so please keep these details to a minimum.

So, share with us: How are you staying on plan this week?

Fat Melanie
08-22-2010, 05:29 PM
B- FF refried beans with garlic lime salsa, and RF sourcream.
Alfalfa sprouts.

S- 1 Wasa fiber crispbread drizzled sparingly with agave.

L- Leftover chicken/green peppers/onions/Rf provolone sautee

D- Lean steaks, cut up
W/ Sweet potatoes and onions, in a 'gravy' (made with double-strength sf beef broth, and garlic/seasonings and soy flour.)
Mashed Cauliflower

Dessert: 3 minute chocolate soy cake with peanut butter

Mmckellen
08-22-2010, 06:05 PM
Off plan today, not even going to post it. But, holding myself accountable. Back on track tomorrow (Monday).

zeffryn
08-22-2010, 08:17 PM
1: 3/4 of an egg white omelete with lots of sauteed veggies, 1 slice dry wheat toast with orange marmalade (had breakfast at a local diner)(brunch)
2: cheesestick
3: salmon cake w/ sauteed spinach and a bit of leftover risotto.

not a great day, although I do feel good that I avoided the usual diner pitfalls and stuck with something that was filling and didn't leave me feeling bad after.

Back on the right track tomorrow.

rdw1
08-22-2010, 08:35 PM
Bad weekend here too... not going to post it. Just know I am back with a vengeance! I will be out of town(visiting grandparents) but I imagine I will do at least 90% of the cooking so that is a good thing~! I fly out early so I plan to make my smoothie and not be hungry by the time I reach the airplane!SO, plan for tomorrow is to stay as OP as I possibly can!

Oh and dinner tonight is stuffed red poblanos with black beans and veggies, topped with enchilada sauce! Yummo!

quietstorm970
08-22-2010, 09:48 PM
I stayed on plan (phase 1) for six days so far. I will push to do another eight days without messing up. I have survived going to the movies and dealing with food pushers all week. Next week will be even harder but I'm ready! Good luck ladies! :)

LastingOne
08-22-2010, 11:03 PM
Well, today was my first day of P1, so here's how I did:

B: scrambled eggs with spinach, coffee
S: sunflower seeds
L: Lettuce Wrap w/ cream cheese, turkey, tomatoes, sunflower seeds and sprouts; baby carrots with salsa
S: Yogurt with 1 tbsp peanut butter
D: SB Fish Chowder w/ Kale, not summer squash

I think I did okay, did get a little hungry but it's because I ran errands longer than anticipated and missed lunch-time. This was also before I went grocery shopping, but I did stay on track. Tomorrow will be a better day!

murphmitch
08-22-2010, 11:18 PM
Had a major splurge last evening so not even very hungry today. Normally eat Phase II-III.

B: Cinnamon omelet, V8
L: Greek yogurt, carrots, hummus
D: Salmon with pesto & roasted red peppers
S: Almond butter

CyndiM
08-23-2010, 06:33 AM
Lasting one - :welcome3:
Nice job getting veggies in. A couple of things I noticed -
*remember nuts and seeds are just one serving/day
*carrots are, sadly, phase II veggies. How about pepper or cucumber slices instead?
*Beans are not required but will help you stay full longer. They also help with the South Beach flu if you start feeling tired.

Happy Day 2 :)

zeffryn
08-23-2010, 08:43 AM
groggy today. i need to go to the grocery store badly.

-
1:ezekiel toast, 1 poached egg
workout
2: grilled salmon, zucchini
3: apple slices, almonds
4: grilled chicken, roasted zucchini, yellow squash, onions, tomatoes

KO
08-23-2010, 09:42 AM
Hey Ladies
here's the plan
Ph 2
Choc Strawb Shake

Snack
Choc Coffee shake

Lunch
White bean and spinach quiche

Snack
20 baby carrots and hummus

Dinner
chicken and zuch

LastingOne
08-23-2010, 12:25 PM
Lasting one - :welcome3:
Nice job getting veggies in. A couple of things I noticed -
*remember nuts and seeds are just one serving/day
*carrots are, sadly, phase II veggies. How about pepper or cucumber slices instead?
*Beans are not required but will help you stay full longer. They also help with the South Beach flu if you start feeling tired.

Happy Day 2 :)

Hi Cyndi! :wave:

Thank you for the advice!! I didn't realize all of that with the seeds and carrots, so I appreciate the heads up. Can't stand cukes though, lol, but I do love peppers so that's easy enough. The beans were one thing that I thought was missing too, because I did get hungry and a little anxious. I will add them today.

BritMW
08-23-2010, 04:34 PM
Phase 1

B: Coffee with lil half and half and Truvia.
S: None - was working with the CPA today, he took up all my eating time.
L: Salad! Tuna, green onion, mushrooms, bell peppers, .5 small avocado, spring mix lettuce and Newman's Own Olive Oil and Vinegar.
S: Red Bell Pepper strips in hummus.
D: Salmon, asparagus and black soy beans.
S: SF Jell-o! MMMmmmMMMmmm.

EmmaD
08-23-2010, 06:55 PM
Back from yet another trip. I was really, really proud of myself the last few days, eating so well during the day. I packed snacks (cut up veggies, hard boiled eggs, sparking water), eating a healthy breakfast at a restaurant (plain oatmeal, fruit and a scrambled egg). BUUUUUUT - then things fell apart at dinner on two of the three nights. The second night involved other peoples' choices at a Chinese restaurant (I had suggested one because they have steamed veggies and brown rice; somehow our choice was switched to a low-veg, high-salt/oil affair). The first night involved too much wine (boo! but fun) and while my food choices were still good (yay me!) the volumes were entirely too much.

ANYway - looking over the Phase 1 threads, I have decided to go back to a real Phase 1 for the rest of the month. I haven't done the whole two weeks in more than a year. I need some structure.

Today is all about eating up the Phase 2 goodies.

B/L - whole wheat orzo with salmon and veggies (spinach, yellow pepper and carrots), black tea
S - Kashi GoLean bar (not really SB-friendly, has real sugars, 13g total to be exact) with natural peanut butter
S2 - Peach with Greek yogurt
D - Soba noodles with scallops, broccoli and cauliflower, roasted beets & carrots (http://ourkitchen.fisherpaykel.com/2009/12/balsamic-roasted-beetroot-and-orange-and-thyme-roasted-carrots/) (which is a bit insane in this hot weather, but oh well, I don't want them to go to waste)

Exercise: 40 minute walk, 1 hour yoga class

murphmitch
08-23-2010, 07:02 PM
Stressful day at work. Glad I had leftovers in the fridge when I got home, but didn't get my usual amount of veggies in.

Phase II

B: Scrambled eggs, V8 (No boiled eggs in the cafeteria today due to recall!) :(
L: Salmon, bell peppers, RF cheese stick (no time for my salad)
S: Tall skinny hazelnut latte
D: Leftover salmon again, steamed broccoli, sprinkle of Parmesan cheese
S: Almond butter

rdw1
08-23-2010, 09:59 PM
I think I did fairly well today considering I was traveling...
b:leftovers mexican
s:l: muenster cheese(I am in Wisconsin! )
d:enchilada casserole
Grandpa makes wine...had to indulge ;)

And yeay! I did this from my phone. No excuses anymore!!!

Lindsay0614
08-23-2010, 10:37 PM
I have lost fourteen pounds so far (after about four weeks). The compliments from people at work and from friends have been very motivating and the fact that my new bathing suit looks better is a plus too!
My saving grace with SB has been making the "peanut butter cup" every night. Sweets are my weakness so being able to make that has been wonderful.
I have hit a plateau unfortunately, and stopped losing at the fourteen pound mark. I have been seeking advice on breaking plateaus since I am really motivated to keep losing weight. I have two mile stones approaching that I am dying to meet. One more pound lost and I will weight under 200 for the first time in five or six years and 6 more pounds and I will have lost 100 pounds total!

Natasha1534
08-23-2010, 10:48 PM
I'm a nightshifter so I've only had 1 meal today.

1st meal - Chicken sausage, steamed broccoli, and chickpeas w/ spinach and tomatoes. For dessert - brownie (the decadent brownie recipe listed under phase I desserts) w/ low-fat cool whip on top

Natasha1534
08-24-2010, 03:56 AM
Now that it's later in the day (for me, at least)...

Snack - Granny Smith apple slices w/ sugar-free peanut butter
2nd Meal - Spinach, Canadian Bacon, and Turkey Bacon pizza made w/ whole wheat pita bread and reduced fat cheese

I know I'm supposed to have another snack and another meal, but I'm just not hungry. Honestly, I've had a really hard tiime getting up to 3 meals a day...it's just not happening for me. :(

Mmckellen
08-24-2010, 06:26 AM
Yesterday:
B: nf yogurt with flax; 6 olives
S: 15 almonds
L: salad with chick peas, parmesan cheese, olive oil dressing
S: green pepper with hummos, more almonds (a no no)
D: 1 chicken sausage, roasted cauliflower

Today:
B: nf greek yogurt with flax; 6 olives; tomato juice
S: chia fresca with 15 almonds
L: salad with chick peas, avocado, parmesan cheese and olive oil dressing
S: green pepper with hummos
D: chicken curry with spinach

Heidi58
08-24-2010, 07:53 AM
Phase 1

B - string cheese, v8, hot tea with milk & splenda
S - yogurt and cucumber
L - veggies in tomato sauce (eggplant, squashes, onion, peppers, tomato) SF jello
S - almonds or pistachios and iced tea
D - black bean soup, salad
a milky beverage in the evening

Exercise: Walking this morning, wii fit this evening

zeffryn
08-24-2010, 08:26 AM
1: scrambled egg whites with sauteed veggies (peppers, onions, broccoli, tomatoes), almond milk
workout
2: lots of grilled zucchini, 3 oz. grilled salmon (I'm so tired of salmon)
3: chia fresca
4: flank steak rolls (butterflied filled with feta, spinach and sundried tomatoes), grilled asparagus and summer squash

EmmaD
08-24-2010, 09:32 PM
Phase 1

weird day, woke up with a blinding headache and couldn't eat till around lunchtime... other than that, on plan but no way did my veggies add up to 4.5 cups. I'd estimate 3.75, counting the lettuce at 1/2.

B- black tea
L - Large heirloom tomato salad and a hard-boiled egg
S- Tofurkey roll ups with lf cheddar cheese, arugula leaves and roasted red pepper.
S2 - 1 serving toasted walnuts and an iced chai tea soy latte (unsweetened, made with chai spiced tea bag) - which I found delicious and my husband declared the grossest thing he had ever tasted :p
D - grilled tofu with sauteed cabbage, steamed broccoli with dijon mustard/meyer lemon sauce and a big Romaine lettuce/radish/green onion salad with olive oil/vinegar
dessert - nonfat Greek yogurt

Just ran that through FitDay: 1035 cal (low because I missed a meal), 21 g fiber, 22% carbs, 49% fat, 29% protein. Holy moley - that's only 57g carbs. I don't think I've ever gone that low in my life, at least not while I've been checking. Not a model day, for sure.

EmmaD
08-24-2010, 10:14 PM
Since I'm here, I'm going to go ahead and plan tomorrow's menu:

Phase 1, day 2

B - "English Breakfast, SBD style" - one egg sunny side up, veggie sausage, pinto beans with a smidge of tomato paste, grilled tomato halves. Black tea (English of course :) )
L - Spinach salad with 1T Goddess dressing (SBD compliant), leftover grilled tofu on top - bring with me 'cause I'm gonna be on the road.
S- Hummus with broccoli, cauliflower and red pepper slices - on the road
S2 - Don't know. Maybe a decaf nonfat latte since I'll be out?
D - Grilled tuna steaks with yellow & green zucchini gratin (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/16/health/nutrition/16recipehealth.html?_r=1&nl=health&emc=healthupdateema8) (haven't made it yet, but it sounds soooo good), lemony green beans with walnuts and thyme (http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Lemony-Green-Beans-with-Walnuts-and-Thyme/Detail.aspx). This means I have to buy zucchini and green beans at the farmer's market tomorrow.
dessert - plain yogurt

honeysox
08-24-2010, 11:07 PM
have two mile stones approaching that I am dying to meet. One more pound lost and I will weight under 200 for the first time in five or six years and 6 more pounds and I will have lost 100 pounds total!

Wow. Great job! Very inspiring, Lindsay! I'm going to start dropping in here, in addition to the daily thread. Lots of fresh starts this week for me . . .

~~Sally

Mmckellen
08-25-2010, 06:29 AM
B: nf greek yogurt with flax; 6 olives; tomato juice
S: chia fresca, 15 almonds
L: not sure. My husband ate everything I wanted to bring for lunch! Maybe some kind of soup/salad combo
S: chia fresca, sliced cucumbers
D: ham and green beans

zeffryn
08-25-2010, 08:07 AM
had a big whoosh this week! after struggling to just lose 1 lb. a week for the last three weeks, I lost 4 this week. I don't know what it is - i'm guessing a combination of switching up my exercise and being a lot more strict with my diet.

--
1: greek yogurt with palm sugar (finally found some!), walnuts (only ate about half of this - one of the walnuts tasted rancid and I just couldn't eat the rest)
2: big salad with micro arugula and spinach, radishes, tomatoes and orange bell peppers, 4 oz. flank steak
3: cukes and red peppers, chia fresca
4: turkey italian sausage mixed with cucumber/tomato salad (supposed to be sausage panzanella but i'm nixing the bread)

honeysox
08-25-2010, 11:18 AM
This is my first time posting in here, but I love the idea of doing this to stay on track. I'm back to Phase I this week, until I drop the lbs. I gained when company came this past weekend.

Today's exercise: walking, sit-ups, weights (just a few to start) (ETA: walked only. SHAME!)

B: hot tea (slept too late for a reg. breakfast)
L: scrambled eggs, salsa, avocado, tomatoes (ETA: I actually had a caesar salad w/ pork loin)
S: sunflower seeds (DONE)
D: chicken caesar salad (ETA: had marinated grilled chicken and roasted broccoli--both delish!)
S: nf Greek yogurt (DONE)

My goal this week other than staying OP is to increase my vegetables and exercise daily.

~~Sally

geewhizkid
08-25-2010, 11:36 AM
just popping in to say my saving grace for this week has been laughing cow cheese wedges and spinach, oh my, spinach, how you make egg white omelets so much yummier...

grilled chicken tonight, can't wait for dinner!

LastingOne
08-25-2010, 01:54 PM
Hello all!

I've been tracking my food the last few days and I'm still trying to tweek a couple of issues, one being sodium and the other fat. My stomach gets rumbly after a while even after having 2-3 snacks on top of my 3 meals. I'll see what happens today, have a few ideas up my sleeve, lol.

EmmaD
08-25-2010, 03:42 PM
GRRRR ... Just found out my soy milk has sugar in it! I went to another store than the one where I usually shop. Found "plain" soymilk and was thrilled so I bought two. I've been making iced Chai tea with the soymilk and it was so delicious. I thought all the spices made it taste kinda sweet. Then I started to get suspicious. If it tastes sweet, it probably IS sweet. I checked and yep, there it is the cane juice @ 9g sugars/cup. VERY frustrating.

I know, I know. Always read the labels. I am just mad at myself that after this long, I still forget.

So I guess I'm not actually on Phase 1 after all these past couple of days. Or even South Beach Diet :p

zeffryn
08-25-2010, 03:44 PM
Eh, at least it wasn't a cheesecake, Emma. don't stress it.

Natasha1534
08-25-2010, 08:32 PM
Again, only had 1 meal so far b/c of my schedule.

1st meal - Baked porkchop, chili lime cilantro brown rice, chickpeas w/ spinach, tomatoes, onions and reduced fat feta cheese. For dessert - brownie (the decadent brownie recipe listed under phase I desserts) w/ low-fat cool whip on top.

And my 1st snack is going to be tomato and basil laughing cow w/ some triscuits.

honeysox
08-26-2010, 12:19 PM
For today:
Exercise: Walk (DONE); weights; sit-ups
B: hot herbal tea, sunflower seeds
L: eggs poached in black beans w/ salsa, avocado
D: Beef Crack Slaw (new to me--very excited to try it!
S: tomato juice, greek yogurt

Didn't get in the weights and sit-ups yesterday.

EmmaD
08-26-2010, 02:32 PM
Eh, at least it wasn't a cheesecake, Emma. don't stress it.

I know, it's silly, but I am just annoyed when I think I am doing the right thing to find out I'm not...

The surprise dinner at my friend's house last night, on the other hand - no illusions about "doing the right thing." It was a conscious - albeit last-minute - choice to go way off plan.

So today is a do-over of what I planned for yesterday. At least it's already planned out for me :)

zeffryn
08-26-2010, 07:46 PM
Emma, I feel the same way. I get all high and mighty with myself because I've been so virtuous and bam! shot down out of nowhere.

moving slooooooooooooooooooooooooooow this morning.

--

1: egg whites (all I could muster making), coffee (lots!)
2: 3 oz. flank steak, salad greens, tomatoes and radishes
3: panzanella salad (cucumbers, red onions, tomatoes, a few pieces of whole wheat bread) + italian turkey sausage
4: mango sorbet

Natasha1534
08-27-2010, 03:19 AM
I got woken up at 1045 hrs this morning and never could get back to sleep (just for reference, I got off work at 0530 hrs, went to bed at 0600 hrs, and then was awakened at 1045 hrs...then had to go back to work tonight from 1730 until 0530 hrs...so I've still got 2 hours and 15 mins left of work). Anyway, my point was that I actually had breakfast today AND 3 meals!!!

Breakfast: Liquid egg-beaters w/ spinach, low-fat cheese, and turkey bacon cooked in (but not a technical omelet b/c I don't like omelets so I scramble them...LOL)
Lunch: Beef fajitas (no tortillas, no rice...extra lettuce and pico de gallo)
Snack: Homemade whole wheat tortilla chips w/ salsa
Dinner: The rest of my beef fajitas

No 2nd snack and no dessert...and my co-workers are cutting up a huge chocolate birthday cake as we speak while I'll continue to sip on my bottle of Propel. :)

zeffryn
08-27-2010, 08:35 AM
woke up late this morning and realized that I have an 8 am cycling class!

--
1: mini 100-calorie clif bar and coffee (on the road!)
2: vegetable soup
3: tuna and white bean "melts", 2 veg tbd
4: greek yogurt with palm sugar and walnuts

60-min spin/weight training class today.

ArmyAng
08-27-2010, 10:39 AM
I'm just starting Phase 1 again this week. I just realized I have SO not been on plan for a while, and it's time to get back to where I was before. I don't feel healthy, so Phase 1 Day 1 is today! Definitely going to snack throughout the day so I don't get too hungry and run to the corner gas station for nachos! :devil:

honeysox
08-27-2010, 11:37 AM
Hey ArmyAng--I'm just up the road from you in Marble Falls.

A bit upset to find that the Hellman's Olive Oil mayo has sugar in it. Why do they do that? They're certainly not replacing fat with flavor.

Unexpected company is throwing a wrench in eating plans, but will have beans and SB slaw for lunch with a few bites of brisket.

Will have to re-restart PhI tomorrow.

Onsecondthought
08-27-2010, 12:12 PM
hey everyone!
i have a quick question. so i started sb last monday and was totally op for 5 days when i had out of town guests come stay with me for 3 days. needless to say, those 3 days were a disaster. i picked up phase 1 again on tuesday and have been on plan since. my question is...since last weekend was a disaster, do i start over from day 1 or do i just continue with "counting" and make it day 8? thanks!

EmmaD
08-27-2010, 02:54 PM
Phase 1, tryyyyyying... I have a mental block about planning Phase 1 things and I have no idea why, it's not like I eat so many grains or fruits anyway... or maybe I do...

B - black tea, tofurkey roll ups with roasted red pepper and arugula (ugh - not hungry for breakfast, it's almost lunch time), glass of low sodium vegetable juice
L - Taco salad with homemade refried beans (spicy!) and lowfat cheese on a bed of romaine lettuce, tomatoes & cucumbers
S - broc/caul/red pepper with hummus
S2 - raw almonds while hiking
D - what I planned for yesterday: tuna steaks, zucchini gratin and lemon/thyme green beans (with green beans from the garden, yay!)
Dessert - nonfat Greek yogurt

LastingOne
08-28-2010, 04:40 PM
Will have been on the plan for one week (P1) as of tomorrow and I'm finally starting to get the hang of it and feeling the good effects. I sure do miss my fruit though, but I'm hanging in there. Halfway baby!

honeysox
08-29-2010, 12:17 PM
Congrats Lasting One on the halfway mark! For fruit, maybe you could slice some super-ripe tomatoes and sprinkle some Splenda on them? Or, try some jicama for an apple-crunch craving?

Today for me:
B/L (brunch): breakfast pizza on flat-out
S: greek yogurt
D: broccoli, salad, and chicken

This week: walk daily; get in some weights and sit-ups daily.

CyndiM
08-29-2010, 12:58 PM
onsecondthought - it depends on how you feel at the end of 2 clean weeks and how far off plan you ate. If you ate a lot of sugary foods and processed carbs I'd suggest getting 2 full weeks in. If it was just a little off plan then see how your cravings are at the end.

Phase 1/5
B: smoothie - yogurt, cantaloupe, hemp powder, chia seeds, raw zucchini, watermelon rind
S: peach
L: White beans, squash, spinach & salsa
S: more fruit, it's that kind of day
D: grilled veggies, probably veggie burgers
S: wine

exercise - 90m mowing and counting in 94 degree weather:faint:

Usernametaken
08-29-2010, 05:40 PM
Just finished phase 1 Thursday, so easing into P2. First thing I re-introduced was a lite beer on Friday; probably not the healthies choice, but no regrets ;)

For the weekend:
Yesterday
B-2 slices turkey bacon (woke up late, outta eggs)
L-Spinach, feta and egg white wrap in WW tortilla from Starbucks
S-Apple dippers from McD's minus the dip
D- SB approved meatloaf (extra lean ground beef, shredded zucchini, a little bit of flax meal) and "Clean out the crisper" soup (red cabbage, zucchini, cauliflower, and red bell pepper this time--yum)

Today
B-Kashi go Lean with skim milk (still no eggs, hitting the store tomorrow)
L-Soup again, with 2 strips of turkey bacon
D-Grilled Lemon-thyme chicken with a big salad

Gonna try to get some regular exercise as well. Started today with an aerobics video and a little bit of weights.