Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-21-2010, 05:50 PM   #1  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Default Yeah...I'm wearing a mini skirt!

I'm headed to a going away party in a few and I'll be seeing some people I haven't seen in a while so naturally I must look my best. I'm wearing a mini jean skirt! I haven't worn a mini anything in 10 years! Now I'm just wondering if it's age appropriate. Being in your 30s is a weird place...is it okay to dress like a 20 year old? I don't know, but I'm doing it! I paired it up with a black halter tank and some sparkly flip flops and great accessories. I feel awesome, hopefully my mirror isn't lying It was nice to decide what to wear put it on and not have to change 100 times because I felt fat...I did have a different shirt on, but I just wasn't feeling it and wanted to wear these shoes so I had to change it...before I would have tried on several things and probably left in something covering EVERYTHING and been totally comfortable the whole time because I was hot and fat...Now I just need to remember that I'm wearing a mini - NO bending over! That might be a task since I'm taking my 2 year old with me, oh well!
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 05:53 PM   #2  
MasterHarper

Height: 5'5"

I wear "above the knee" skirts and dresses ALL the time, especially in the summer. If you've got it - show it!! F*** what anyone else thinks.*

Wear what you want to wear.

I'm 37, BTW.
Robsia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 07:46 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 206/141/139

Height: 5'9

You earned it so wear it!!
lauralyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:47 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 177/157/138

Height: 5'6"

I cannot imagine worrying about wearing a mini skirt when you are in your 30's. Of course you should! Enjoy your life and don't worry about the naysayers.

Last edited by TERAPET; 08-22-2010 at 08:48 AM.
TERAPET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:08 AM   #5  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

There's two types of dressing like a teenager: The first type is "only a teenager has the body to carry that off" and the second is "Only a teenager has so little sense that they think that is a good idea, and can get away with it only because their stupidity is expected and forgiven". A "normal" mini-skirt is the first type, and if you can rock it, go ahead. A really short, really low-rise mini that shows your thong off is the second, and that is a bad idea for anyone.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:30 AM   #6  
I'm on my way!

S/C/G: 260/172/160

Height: 5'6"

Yeah for you!!!! Awesome!!! Have fun and be sure to tell us how people reacted to your hot new self!!
TXMary2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:46 AM   #7  
Really maintaining now!

S/C/G: 375.6/low 160s maintaining

Height: 6'

I am mere hours away from being 43, and I wear above-the-knee skirts almost exclusively. I have really good legs, and I don't feel I dress inappropriately for my age. I'm also stupidly tall, so pretty much any knee-length skirt is just going to land a couple of inches above the knee on me.
catherinef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:46 AM   #8  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

flaunt your success. you will look awesome, and a few jaws will drop, but in a good way.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 11:53 AM   #9  
Closet health nut!

The reaction was pretty great. Lots of you look great! And a few you look HOTs! It was slightly akward at times because it was a families party and DH had to work and I was husbandless for the evening and got a few "looks" from the other husbands. No big deal though and I didn't feel inappropriately dressed or anything. It was definitely a traditional mini and not a thong showing mini LOL! I mastered the bending down to pick up rather than bending over pretty quick my DS was a good boy and kept himself pretty entertained with the other kids so that was helpful. All in all I felt awesome!
Old 08-22-2010, 03:20 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 235/???/125

Height: 5'2

I love that you posted this because I'm 29 and going to be 30 in March. It just hit me recently that I might be getting too old to wear some clothes! I agree it's an awkward period and I'm not really sure on some level what's no longer appropriate for me. It doesn't help that I'm going back to college with a bunch of 20 year olds! Lol*

Anyhow I'm glad the mini worked for you and I agree, as long as you have the body to pull it off a good mini has no age limit!
alovelyblush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 03:28 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 225/175/140

Height: 5'6

im gonna disagree with everyone here.. i dont think its appropriate for anyone over the age of 25(thats even pushing it) if its a few inches like 5 inches above the knee(going from mid knee), ok.. but higher? not a chance. Even if you have the body for it doesnt look good, it looks tacky.
luciddepths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 03:49 PM   #12  
I like ponies... and you?

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by luciddepths View Post
im gonna disagree with everyone here.. i dont think its appropriate for anyone over the age of 25(thats even pushing it) if its a few inches like 5 inches above the knee(going from mid knee), ok.. but higher? not a chance. Even if you have the body for it doesnt look good, it looks tacky.
I'm 17, and don't think I'll ever wear a miniskirt, and most definately not a micro-mini... just because I don't like even wearing SHORTS that go above 5 inches above my knee... but there are so many people above the age of 30 that you would never expect were that age... and wear mini-skirts, short shorts, etc.

Age isn't a big deal. Body type, confidence, and personality are. I might get to the point where I could pull off a mini-skirt (or *gasp* a micro mini!), but would I wear it around? Probably not... I just don't feel comfortable at any size showing off that much skin. I'm most confident and feel sexiest in a form fitting tee or polo and long jeans (I have long legs... so it's kinda hard to find some that are long enough to the point where I like 'em). But if others are... and they look good... why not?

Glad you had an awesome time ncuneo! You deserve it.
Serbrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 04:55 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 260/200/170

Height: 5'9"

Ncuneo,

Glad to hear you had a great time and received lots of positive feedback. To me, that positive feedback is the best motivator!

I believe that if you can rock it...do!

I want to have that reaction from people. Lately, I've fallen off the wagon and tomorrow I'm starting over. Back to eating right and exercising. I'm going to take a break from the forum and lurk. I need to focus on making my habits a natural part of my day again.
Violin Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 06:56 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 225/175/140

Height: 5'6

yeah im talking more the MINI MINI skirts.
luciddepths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 07:12 PM   #15  
Closet health nut!

Yeah I figured you meant mini mini, cause What Not To Wear Says I have til 35 for the mini skirt