Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 08-20-2010, 10:18 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 305/288.5/150

Height: 5'10.5

Default Mall of America?

So I'm headed down to Minneapolis with my sisters for a girls weekend. I've never been shopping in the U.S. Any tips on where to go for plus size stuff?
lainey_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 02:37 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 183/maintaining 135ish

Height: 5'6"

Are you going just to the Mall of America or other places around? What are you interested getting? Here is the website that can tell you their stores. http://www.mallofamerica.com/

The four big anchor stores would be places to check out (Nordstroms, Bloomingdales, Macys, Sears). You can get some good bargains in the Marshalls and Nordstrom Rack on the upper floor, they are "clearance" stores, the latter for the Nordstrom department stores. Both have Plus-size sections/racks. My motto is pretty much the Marshalls motto: Never never pay full price. Both these stores require a bit more patience because of the endless racks, so don't go when you are tired and "shopped out". If you can, I would go to the Nordstrom Rack as soon as it opens (most stores open at 10) because later the lines for fitting room and checkout get long. (The mall itself opens earlier for mall walkers, and there are cafes open earlier also, so you can get there before 10 for a good parking spot and then wander around a bit to see things.)

In specialty plus-size stores they have Lane Bryant which I like mostly for bras really, there are often seasons when their clothes are just not my taste. Their bras are excellent. There might be a Torrid/Hot Topic which caters to teenagers; I tend to go to Banana Republic/Loft when I am buying work clothes, otherwise the Marshalls. BR/Loft tend not to have sizes above 16 in the stores unfortunately, you have to go on line.

The DSW Shoe store TOTALLY. Be sure to check the clearance room in the back where everything is marked 30-70% off depending on the sticker. Nordstrom Rack also has a good shoe selection.

ETA: I just saw your height! There is also a Tall girls' store, don't remember exactly what is is called. I don't know their size range is because I am too short to go in there.

They have an Apple store also, that is my "home" store when I am in the U.S., that or the one in Southdale Mall a few miles away in Edina.

And I never pass up the IKEA, which is not part of the mall but adjacent.

If you are going outside the mall there are some very good consignment stores in the Twin Cities area, I dropped a bunch of dress and work clothes off at one of the Turn Style chains the last time I was home. They rejected some of it as it wasn't high-end enough!

Last edited by bronzeager; 08-21-2010 at 03:06 AM.
bronzeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:07 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 300/ticker/149

WOOT I live not far from the MOA (in Burnsville) and work in Minneapolis so I go past the MOA every day!

It's a GREAT "people watching" venue =)

Have a great time!
Iianae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:41 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 305/288.5/150

Height: 5'10.5

Thanks for the tips! I've checked out the website but I think something is up with my Flash Player because it keeps freezing on me. I am absolutely looking for bargains. As awesome as losing weight is the downside is trying to keep myself clothed!

It seems like there's more options. Here I'm limited to Addition-Elle/Penningtons (where I work, so it gets a smidge boring), Old Navy, and Ricki's for tops.

I'm pumped for Dsw, though. I always see their commercials and it looks like paradise for shoe nuts.
lainey_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 10:01 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 184/Ticker/150

Height: 5'5

Hehe...I was just there last night. I also work downtown Mpls! It's a fun place for just walking around and people watching and there's something for absolutely everyone and everything so you're sure to find shops that interest you. Have a blast and welcome to the Twin Cities!
firefliesandpixies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 01:06 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 183/maintaining 135ish

Lots of the smaller shops/boutiques have clearance racks too, I always check them first. It seemed like they were all desperate for business when I was home last month and marking things down.

Oh, one more, Chicos is good for larger sizes too depending on your style, it makes me think of the sort of "cruise-wear" set. There are a number of other Marshalls and TJMaxx stores in the Twin Cities area, with several just up and down 494 (the highway the mall is on), so if you like those and have a car you can go to those pretty easily.

If you REALLY want bargains you should drive northwest 2 hours to the Albertville outlet mall. They have pretty much the same stores as in the mall, only cheaper clothes/clearance.
bronzeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:24 AM   #7  
A Work in Progress

S/C/G: S-201.5/C-142.5/G-145.0

Height: 5' 6"

I'm looking at the MOA from my office window right now!!

I always found such nice plus sized clothing at Macy's and Lane Bryant. I thought the choices were best in those 2 stores - lots of variety and good quality.

Old Navy is great if you want something inexepensive to wear for a season & don't much care if it works for the next - I have found that their clothes wear out quickly. I guess sometimes you do get what you pay for!

I'm too lazy for Marshalls. I get frustrated by what feels like chaos. Having said that, when I've been in the mood for it, I have found some awesome bargains on name brands, which I love!

DSW is a MUST. LOVE THAT STORE!!

Have fun!
cherylmn is offline   Reply With Quote