Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-20-2010, 03:07 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 260/249/180

Height: 6'

Default Injured/Problem Joints - What to Try Next?

I have osteoarthritis (mainly knees), every cervical disc is bulging, and I hurt my ankle bad in May. SO. I love Spin, but had to stop in May because of the ankle - I'm not back to Spin yet, I have a bike at home and have tried on and off, still a no go, those dang ligaments take FOREVER!

I can't swim - whenever I try, my neck/shoulders are torqued, and I'm in pain for days/weeks even with adjustments and rehab (not to mention add-on migraines from the tension).

I'm trying water aerobics right now. I used to teach this when I was 19....been a while...what amazes me is the times I can feel a move hurt my knee. What the heck? It's like my body is against me, I swear. And I have to modify arms or my neck, again - torqued.

Is there ANYTHING anyone can suggest? Any specific yoga books/videos? I'm doing some modified yoga....but it's HARD to find yoga that doesn't hurt my knees.

Thanks - any help is appreciated.
buttons77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 03:29 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

weight lifting? Have you seen a physical therapist anytime recently?
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 03:34 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I have to second (and third and fourth) a check-in with a physical therapist if you have access to one. It's really helpful to have someone familiar with physiology and your particular issues design a program that you can do without aggravating your issues, and to make them better in the future.

It was invaluable after my knee surgery and with my ongoing shoulder/neck injury.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:53 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 260/249/180

Height: 6'

I have a chiro who is also PT....this summer was rough, because I had to have my "entourage" with me - both boys. We had to keep it mainly to massage and stretch to alleviate pain. Torture! Next week they start back to school, so I can step it up that way. THANK GAWD! He's a godsend that way - my insurance won't pay for PT, they'll pay him though....so I get PT and training from him.

ANYWAY - so yeah, I'll be headed that way next week, thanks for the reminder (need to schedule the extra sessions). Didn't know if anyone had tried any specific yoga dvds....or had had luck with anything good.

I'm just really frustrated - I love Spin, I like lifting, I love walking....can't do any of them right now. Anyway - thanks for listening!
buttons77 is offline   Reply With Quote