Old 08-19-2010, 11:23 AM   #1  
Next mini-goal 184

S/C/G: 204/189/155

Height: 5' 7"

Default Recipe Help

Okay had a random thought this morning. Yes I am from the South & I have always loved Chicken & Dumplings. I do not eat any of the fake meats at all, but I am wondering if I could make it like I always have & maybe use fresh mushrooms as a replacement for the the chicken. Mushrooms are the only thing I can think of that would be a good substitute. My favorite part of the meal is the dumplings anyway. So today I am trying to come up with a way to make this. I guess the part I have to work on in a replacement of the fat because you aren't using chicken. When I have always made it I have trimmed the chicken of as much fat as I could, thinking maybe some olive oil, high fat buttermilk instead of the lowfat version, maybe something else???? Any ideas?
Im On A Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:19 PM   #2  
Next mini-goal 184

Jokan that is pretty similiar to the way I make it for my family. Because of health issues I had to go to a pescatarian diet & since then have gone to vegetarian. So I am looking for a substitute for the chicken, without using fake meats & want to try to make it as close to the original as I can. My daughter said she is looking forward to trying whatever I come up with, so the pressure is on.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:45 AM   #3  
ready to stand

S/C/G: 172/ticker/115

Height: 5'1

I looked up several recipes, and one called for halved button mushrooms.

Or, if you're feeling really crafty :

http://vegfamily.com/vegan-recipes/e...ed-chicken.htm

You can try making your own chicken. This takes an hour to make, though. So if you'd rather not take that long with making your chicken and dumplings, then button mushrooms would work just fine.
MelodyLeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:34 AM   #4  
Next mini-goal 184

Thanks Melody! It is suppose to be raining all weekend so I will have lots of time at home, I am gonna try it. I am so picky about food, but my teenage daughter isn't, she is my guinea pig, she will eat anything. She isn't vegetarian 100% of the time but very close, so she likes trying everything.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:15 AM   #5  
ready to stand

S/C/G: 172/ticker/115

Height: 5'1

No problem! I'm interested to see how the "chicken" turned out, so let us know how it tasted!
MelodyLeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:44 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 181/175/125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im On A Boat View Post
Any ideas?
I don't have any ideas for the dumplings, but your name=WIN.
therex is offline   Reply With Quote