Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 08-19-2010, 10:25 AM   #1  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

Default What are your top tricks for maintaining?

I'm sure there have been threads like this before. And I know there are libraries worth of information on maintaining lost weight. I'm just wanting a brief survey of what everyone's top few tricks and strategies are for maintaining their weight. It can be broad philosophies and strategies or specific daily routines. Just anything that keeps you personally on track.

I have only been a maintainer for a few months, but here are mine:

- Daily weighing. I never make an excuse to not weigh in the morning. Daily fluctuation personally doesn't upset me much, but nobody likes to be three pounds heavier than yesterday morning. Even when I know I'm bloated after a cheat night and that it isn't "real" weight, I faithfully get on the scale every morning to face the facts. And I write it down. I don't want to make an excuse to not weigh one day because it's a slippery slope. An excuse for a day could turn into an excuse for a week. Weighing everyday gives me concrete evidence that my actions have consequences and that keeps me motivated to stay on track.

- Accountability. Kind of goes hand in hand with daily weighing. I write my weight down everyday, but I put it on here every Monday. Even if nobody pays attention to it, it means something to me. It would bum me out to have to put a higher out-of-maintenance-range weight up on here for a whole week. And if I had to, I'd work hard to get it back down for next week.

- Reminding myself what I came from. Sometimes it can be frustrating to stay on plan. But forcing myself to think about how unhappy I was when I was overweight reminds me that it's just not worth it when I'm craving ice cream or something. I was unhappy fat, I like being skinny, I worked hard to get here, I'd prefer to stay this way.

- Routine. Some people thrive in variation and get bored when things are the same. I personally do best when I have a comfortable routine that's easy for me to follow. I have a handful of foods that I choose from everyday, and I'm very comfortable eating the same things over and over and doing the same work outs. I mix it up every once in awhile, or add new things to the rotation, but it's easy for me to stay on track when I can follow my routine.
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:44 AM   #2  
A Work in Progress

S/C/G: S-201.5/C-142.5/G-145.0

Height: 5' 6"

I'm relatively new to the whole maintenance thing, too (since June 9th), but here is what I have mapped out as being essential for me to stay focused on good health, including maintaining my weight:

1. Daily weigh in with a 'red line' identified (still working on the latter part)
2. Have a plan for what to do if I reach the red line
3. MOVE - get some formal exercise 5-6x/week
4. Journal everything...no excuses, no 'hiding' stuff
5. Limit 'treats' to a couple times a week & focus on whole foods
6. Be kind to myself - keep the negative talk at bay when I am not 100% perfect with points #1-5 above. Just get back on track. No whining, no berating, no nothing. Do it.
cherylmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:40 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

About 90% of the time, I stick to the same healthy meals I eat every day.

I ALWAYS stick to my forever no's:
No fast food
No soda
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:21 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Megan-- I like your accountability aspect. I do also weigh myself each day and write it down, but I haven't updated my ticker here. I have been fluctuating for a couple of months between 123-127 and as long as I've "seen" 123 recently, I've felt like my ticker is true. However, I think I'll change it each Monday and see if that motivates me. Thanks for the idea!

I'm also like the others-- I exercise daily (rarely miss). I write down what I eat daily and weigh daily (except for on vacation-- then I make the best choices possible and get plenty of exercise).

I also have some nevers-- no fast food, no fried food, no sodas, etc. If I really truly want to try something bad, I'll take a bite (ie-- french fry) so I don't drive myself crazy craving it. Yesterday I was at a meeting and someone brought in a plate of amazing looking brownies (big red light food for me). It was passed around and I easily passed it and ignored them. All of a sudden I couldn't focus on anything except the brownies-- they were taunting me! Everyone was saying how amazing they were and I was literally salivating. I had to mentally slap myself and divert my attention, which I did. However, I'm salivating again just remembering them. Sigh.....
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:23 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Megan-- where did you get your "ticker" that shows your maintenance, lose, gain, etc.? I like that!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 05:43 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 192/maintaining upper 120's

Height: 5"8.5" 51 yrs

Planning is essential. Check menus online, call ahead if eating out. Veggies are prepped in frig.

Always weigh when home, especially the very next day after traveling. No more isle of denial.

Log everything I eat into my apps. Measure when home, eyeball when out.

No starchy sides- meat and double veggies- unless I have planned for it. So far potatoes have lost out to beer when I have had the calories to spend. Both potatoes/rice/pasta lose out to dessert or alcohol. I don't have alcohol & dessert at the same meal. Also either dressing is on the side or I just omit it and get lemon juice. Depends on the rest of the calories at the meal.

I eat the bulk of my calories at night. Easier to eat with the family. easier to pare them out at breakfst and lunch.

Continue to watch how my body reacts to food. I presume it will shift over time as I age.
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:40 PM   #7  
Focused on the Future

S/C/G: 237/132/137

Height: 5' 3"

I just continue what I was doing before - I track my food every day and am accountable for everything I eat. I still exercise the same as I did before and that allows me to consume a few more things now and again. It has been almost 4 months since I reached my goal weight and have lost an additional 7 lbs and am doing good at staying where I want to be!!
JustBeckyV is offline   Reply With Quote