100 lb. Club - Roasted green beans...

View Full Version : Roasted green beans...

cfmama
08-18-2010, 10:27 PM
where have you BEEN all of my life!

I've roasted every single other veggie imaginable but NEVER FRESH from the garden green beans.

I made myself three cups (raw) with 1 T EVOO, lemon pepper salt free seasoning and fresh cracked pepper.

I ate... them... ALL. True I just had that and two hb eggs for dinner... but ALL. And they were so freaking good!

ah. Full. happy :)

Onederchic
08-18-2010, 11:32 PM
Sounds yummy :)

TJFitnessDiva
08-19-2010, 12:18 AM
you are making me want some now lol ah well there is always tomorrow!

rockinrobin
08-19-2010, 12:20 AM
Roasted green beans is just about one of my favorite all time foods - and my family's too.

WE LOVE THEM!!!

I roast them with thinly sliced onions and fresh chopped garlic and some sea salt. I can't even begin to count all the people that I have told about this fabulous food find here at home. It gets raves from every one. It is a staple in my diet and I eat it OFTEN. They're on the menu for this coming Friday night. Yummmmm....

ubergirl
08-19-2010, 12:37 AM
Oooh... I am SO going to try that.

What's EVOO??

starfishkitty
08-19-2010, 12:49 AM
How do you make them??

luckymommy
08-19-2010, 12:49 AM
Extra Virgin Olive Oil = EVOO :) I know about it from watching Rachel Ray. ;)

The green beans sound great! I might just give it a try too. Thanks! :)

Rochester
08-19-2010, 05:33 AM
Absolutely one of my favorite veggies! I think that they're a great sub for French fries...you get that same crunchy/greasy/salty satisfaction without the guilt.

Rosinante
08-19-2010, 06:52 AM
So for us other English speakers :) are green beans the long, string bean kind of things, or something different?

rockinrobin
08-19-2010, 07:06 AM
So for us other English speakers :) are green beans the long, string bean kind of things, or something different?

Yup.

My *recipe*:

I take about 1 tsp of oil and spread it thinly on a roasting sheet (that I've covered with aluminum foil - easier clean up), than I lay the green beans out, and spray it with a bit of cooking spray. I place it in the oven at 400 degrees and bake for about 10 - 12 minutes. Than I place the onions and garlic and sea salt with the beans. I roast another 15 minutes or so, turning a couple of times, till they begin to get wrinkly and a bit brownish.

JayEll
08-19-2010, 07:08 AM
Yes, green beans are string beans. Yum.

Adding some dill weed with the salt and olive oil is also a yummy way to go.

Jay

Rosinante
08-19-2010, 07:11 AM
Thanks, I'll give them a go, they sound yummy, I just never thought of roasting anything so thin!

MindiV
08-19-2010, 08:34 AM
Oh...my....gosh! I adore green beans and could exist on a diet of them alone. SO gonna try this....

SnowboundChick
08-19-2010, 08:36 AM
Green beans are one of my fav veggies and I never thought to roast them! Yum!

rockinrobin
08-19-2010, 08:37 AM
I don't know how far I would have gotten without roasted green beans. Seriously.

annie175
08-19-2010, 08:40 AM
CFMAMA....the green beans sound wonderful, but I wanted to say how dang MARVELOUS you look. Rock on sista!!

LiliK
08-19-2010, 08:41 AM
Oh, Oh, Oh, these are SO going to be made in this house tonight. Thanks for the recipe!!

time2lose
08-19-2010, 09:02 AM
I tried roasting green beans for the 1st time about 3 weeks ago and have done it several times since. Delicious! I love green beans done several ways. I also keep Green Giant Simply Steamed Green Beans in the freezer and take them for lunch almost every day. They come in a steamer bag and include a little packet of almonds. Another Delicious thing! Lastly, I keep canned green beans and cook them with a little canola oil sometimes. It is surprising how different all these taste.

Here in South Carolina, green beans are often called string beans. My husband says that I am going to turn into a string bean. My response - "From your mouth to God's ear!"

rockinrobin
08-19-2010, 09:11 AM
Here in South Carolina, green beans are often called string beans. My husband says that I am going to turn into a string bean. My response - "From your mouth to God's ear!"

Haha - that's funny. (We also very often call them string beans)

I eat them raw too. They are great for munching. They also transport well and I take a baggie full of them with me quite often.

cfmama
08-19-2010, 01:20 PM
That's pretty much the way that I roast them. Except I had calories to burn so I used an entire T of olive oil. I did add garlic as well. In fact... I want some right now. lol!!!!

JustBeckyV
08-19-2010, 02:18 PM
Never tried em that way - sounds like the way I grill my asparagus lol

Nikki6kidsmom
08-19-2010, 04:22 PM
SOunds yummy, I have to try it! Are we going to be seeing you around here more often??

LitChick
08-19-2010, 09:43 PM
Oooh, that sounds yummy! I love roasted veggies but haven't tried green beans.

If you're looking for another recipe, here is my go-to way to prepare fresh green beans: steam beans in microwave for about 3-4 minutes, in the meantime drizzle a little toasted sesame oil in nonstick pan (I use about 2 tsp), sprinkle in some red pepper flakes, then the green beans and a TBSP of toasted sesame seeds. Saute for a couple minutes. I will warn you that the red peppers can cause you to cough if you breathe in too deeply while you're cooking! (Speaking from experience, ha)

Tonight I had roasted asparagus that I'd sprinkled Mrs. Dash and some parmesan cheese over before putting them in the over. Delicious!

Anyway, all that to say I am going to try roasted green beans the next time I buy a batch!

StarvingPoet
08-19-2010, 10:14 PM
I've never tried that before. I will now though. :D

dudesmom
08-19-2010, 10:19 PM
This is awesome. I've been goggling veggie recipes for some of these veggies that I've never cooked fresh before, and it's mind-boggling what comes up. I was looking for brussel sprout recipes and found tons that were cheese covered or used tons of butter or were smothered in cream sauce or cooked with fatty meats. No wonder there's an obesity epidemic, we even make our vegetables unhealthy!!!

zoritsa
08-19-2010, 11:41 PM
I made some raosted green beans tonite and OMG! I think that's it from now on.They were sooooo good and I never thought to roast them.

And dudesmom: I slice my brussel sprouts,drizzle EVOO on them and garlic powder(or fresh) and cook them in a pan until they are lightly browned.

oodlesofnoodles
08-20-2010, 12:35 AM
mmmmmmmmmmmmm I LOVE roasted green beans. I eat them all the time. I'll cram as many as I can into the toaster oven and FEAST. Guilt free too. Yay. :)

FatDogLane
08-20-2010, 01:44 AM
If you guys like the green beans...do the same with sugar snap peas! They WILL blow your mind!! Very snacky & satisfying! Something about eating them with your fingers :dizzy: I have fallen in love with veggies!! I am roasting ANYthing on an aluminum foil lined pan...in a 450* oven.... with kosher salt, freshly cracked black pepper, and a tiny drizzle of extra virgin olive oil (spray of olive oil Pam if you're tight on calories) If you have herbs from your garden, throw em' in! I am all over the brussel sprouts too! If you cut them in 1/4ths & pull them apart as to "shred" them, do the olive oil, saltnpep thing, & then add just a tbsp of diced pecans. Toss them often as they roast and they are unbelievable! :carrot: Be sure to dry every veggie well before dressing to get a good roast on