South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 08-18-2010, 12:56 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 243.2/241/160

Height: 5'7"

Default HELP-Diet Soda?

I remember reading in the book that all soda was off limits, including diet soda. I have given up diet soda now for 4 weeks and by no way do I want to start getting addicted again, but I'm still trying just to figure out the locial reason as to why we couldnt have diet soda. There is no carbs, no sugar (artifical yes, but it is ok to use splenda)

So I guess I just need a logical reason as to why I had to give it up to be able to wrap my head around this, or if I never had to, well SHOOT.

Speck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:37 PM   #2  
Maintaining (Lacto-Paleo)

S/C/G: 120s

Height: 5' 6.75"

Speck, if you are interested in the risks to one's health, there are many.

Dr. Russell Blaylock has written a book called, "Excitotoxins: The Taste That Kills".

Here is an article he wrote:

http://www.dorway.com/blayart1.txt

and another:

http://landofpuregold.com/the-pdfs/Excitotoxins.pdf

Here is one of many studies, showing that the formaldehyde which is formed in the body from what aspartame is made of, collects, cumulatively, in the body:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9714421

PubMed is a good place to look for studies, if one can pick through the data, who funded them, how the results are interpreted, what the controls for the trials were, etc.

Here is a website with lots of info about aspartame. This page shows that aspartame is not allowed in the European Union. http://www.aspartame.ca/page_a2a.html

Splenda is no better. Splenda, sucralose, is chlorinated sugar, a chlorocarbon. It is chemically in the same family as DDT and other insecticides. A little research about the effects of chlorine and chlorocarbons got me off it, too.

Sugar alcohols also have their problems.

If you are serious about wanting to know what these chemicals are, and what they turn into, in your body, and what the effects are, the information is available. One has to read carefully, and sift the chaff from the wheat.

When I was getting myself off of diet sodas, I drank a little frozen apple juice in sparkling water or seltzer water. It gave me the fizzy factor and was refreshing.

I wish you perfect success in leaving them behind you.

We, human beings, are so attracted to the taste of sweet, and it can cause us many problems.

You can make lemonade out of water, fresh lemon juice, and a "tea" made from stevia leaves. You can grow stevia year-round quite easily in Livermore.

Sending you all best wishes.

Last edited by SilverLife; 08-18-2010 at 01:48 PM. Reason: corrected error
SilverLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:21 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/182/150

Height: 5'8"

It does also say in the books to limit caffeine as they may induce cravings and mess with your metabolism.
BritMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:25 PM   #4  
Maintaining (Lacto-Paleo)

S/C/G: 120s

Height: 5' 6.75"

BritMW, good point. Thanks for bringing that up. Yes, I've recently stopped drinking tea. Caffeine stimulates an insulin response, and can exhaust the adrenal glands.
SilverLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 05:06 PM   #5  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

I don't remember the specifics on the diet soda but I do have it. I understand the points being made here and for that reason I'm trying to wean myself off of diet soda, and I've been drinking less. I do however use Splenda and it's allowed on the SBD but there are some concerns about it for sure. I went out and purchased blue agave nectar (it's like honey and it's all natural.) to take Splenda's place, and I've made my son and I lemonade with real lemon juice and agave nectar.

But to keep pushing through today at college, I did drink two diet pepsis. I would like to quit this habit and I don't like the idea of aspartame but I'm not sure that having a diet pepsi every once in awhile is such a bad thing? Just my feeling on this.

Look forward to reading when everyone else weighs in because like the original poster, I'm confused on the matter as well.

Last edited by Fat Melanie; 08-18-2010 at 05:07 PM.
Fat Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 05:50 PM   #6  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I'm not a fan of artificial sweeteners in general but I also get wicked migraines from MSG so I don't mess with any of that stuff. I am, however, a caffeine addict via strong, dark coffee. My doctor has no concerns about my intake because all my numbers are great.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 06:08 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 243.2/241/160

Height: 5'7"

Thank Mel, those are my thoughts exactly, just put much more eloquently
Speck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 06:21 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 163/160/130

Height: 5'2"

I have been trying to stop drinking diet pop. I go through spurts. Sometimes I drink it a lot other times I don't have it. But I always go back to it. The worst is every time I have it I eat more. It makes me want sweets and salt. I never just drink it alone always with food. I think it is really one of the worst things you I consume. It destroys any healthy eating I am trying to do. Sooner or later I always go back to it. Ugh! Have to work harder on that.
jenjen22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 06:28 PM   #9  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Silver, when I saw the post, I was going to bring up Dr. Blalock.
Speck et al, if you do a search at youtube for him, and listen to what he has to say, you will inspect anything and everything that ever goes into your mouth again. He speaks truth and truth is scary.
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 06:35 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 195.6/185.6/140

Height: 5'2"

I get wicked headaches from aspartame, and I don't like the taste of splenda. My mom uses splenda and stevia, but I tell her that she should quit.

Personally, I use agave nectar and palm sugar. Both have higher GIs than the artificial sweeteners, but at least they aren't chemicals.

Oh and I LOVE having the flavored club sodas with no sweetener. I can't do the ones with the artificial sweeteners of course. But it gives me the fizz. I love putting some lemon or lime wedges in it too. That's enough for me to satisfy my soda crazing. I should leave a few bottles at my fiance's house because they are always drinking soda there.
Jlyne327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:57 PM   #11  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

Ahh I forgot to mention that but it reminds me!!! Thanks Jlyne. I have found bottled club soda and the ingredients are simply carbonated water, natural flavors. They are great.
Fat Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote