Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 09:01 AM   #1  

S/C/G: S: 236/C: 188/G: 125

Height: 5'5"

Default IP Daily Thread - 08/18/10

Sorry if I jumped the gun, but didn't see a daily thread for today yet. I wanted to ask a question about the supplements.

A bottle of IP Omega III is $31. So, I asked my coach's assistant (his wife) if I could use the Omega III from the drugstore and she says no, that IP's is specially formulated. Anyone else hear this? I haven't compared labels at the store yet, but I was just curious.

Have a glorious day, everyone!

Barbara
Old 08-18-2010, 09:17 AM   #2  

I started yesterday and was only given 3 supplements. My coach said that the Fish Oil/Omega III is optional. She said if I was already taking that to keep taking it. I'm not taking it and they didn't push it at all...should I be taking it? I think if I do I will just buy it from Walmart!
Old 08-18-2010, 09:18 AM   #3  
getting back on track

S/C/G: 187/172/150

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by babsnwv View Post
Sorry if I jumped the gun, but didn't see a daily thread for today yet. I wanted to ask a question about the supplements.

A bottle of IP Omega III is $31. So, I asked my coach's assistant (his wife) if I could use the Omega III from the drugstore and she says no, that IP's is specially formulated. Anyone else hear this? I haven't compared labels at the store yet, but I was just curious.

Barbara
Hmmm... sounds "fishy" to me (pun intended) LOL

I can not honestly believe that the supplements are absolutely UNIQUE. Here is why. Back when I worked on Marketing research (yes, the many many lives and careers of Elizabeth, I know) we did focus groups with Novartis and got to learn about some interesting facts... one being that no matter the patent it is only "exclusive" to you for 3 years TOPS... meaning that any "revolutionary" product out there, medicine and beauty creams and all, can be free for all to replicate after that time...this is why AVON has great products and so cheap... they can mass produce to lower prices and still have the same results. (clinique today, avon in 3 years LOL) This is why also you get generic medicine after that time...much cheaper when you don't have the "monopoly"

I am thinking for supplements there is only so much you can "create" BUT, you can also read the labels and compare to others out there. I personally take the NSI Mega EFA Omega 3 EPA & DHA (I get them cheaper from Vitacost.com) But that is my choice. No one pushed Omega 3s on me from IP either. I think some places just want to make sure you buy from them...they do have a business to run, right?

also see this thread http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...-vitamins.html and you can ask there as well.

Last edited by deinekatze; 08-18-2010 at 09:36 AM.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:53 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 255/195/175

I use the Wal-Mart kind. The only supplement I had to purchase from IP was the Potassium-Calcium. They said you could find comparable other supplements at your local drug store. Maybe each clinic is different?
Old 08-18-2010, 09:56 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 217/210/140

Height: 5'2"

Good morning all! Hope you are all off to a great day. I'm heading to the gym to meet with my trainer and then we are taking Grandkids to the dinosaur park. Should be fun.

Someone posted about WF products and the bogo offer thru end of month?? I think. How do you get that free one since I don't see this offer on the site. do you have to enter in a code?

My coach is very impressed with this site. I've been telling her about the support, suggestions, recipes etc. Thanks all.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:58 AM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle12 View Post
I use the Wal-Mart kind. The only supplement I had to purchase from IP was the Potassium-Calcium. They said you could find comparable other supplements at your local drug store. Maybe each clinic is different?
My clinic said in initial meeting that had to use their supplements because that's the only way IP lets them sell them and because they track results really close. Don't know how factual that is but willing to use them for now.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:03 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by deinekatze View Post

I can not honestly believe that the supplements are absolutely UNIQUE. Here is why. Back when I worked on Marketing research (yes, the many many lives and careers of Elizabeth, I know) we did focus groups with Novartis and got to learn about some interesting facts... one being that no matter the patent it is only "exclusive" to you for 3 years TOPS... meaning that any "revolutionary" product out there, medicine and beauty creams and all, can be free for all to replicate after that time...this is why AVON has great products and so cheap... they can mass produce to lower prices and still have the same results. (clinique today, avon in 3 years LOL) This is why also you get generic medicine after that time...much cheaper when you don't have the "monopoly"

I am thinking for supplements there is only so much you can "create" BUT, you can also read the labels and compare to others out there. I personally take the NSI Mega EFA Omega 3 EPA & DHA (I get them cheaper from Vitacost.com) But that is my choice. No one pushed Omega 3s on me from IP either. I think some places just want to make sure you buy from them...they do have a business to run, right?

also see this thread http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...-vitamins.html and you can ask there as well.
just a quick thought on generics etc. My husband who is a liver transplant recipient just barely went off the name brand anti-rejection med. He can only use one specific brand of generic because there is too much variation in the other brands. My son who works for a pharmaceutacal(sp) company and my son-in-law who is a pharmacist say the same thing. There is a basic formulation but it can and does vary widely between brands. Also some add fillers that aren't good either.

Last edited by gmfuzzy; 08-18-2010 at 10:04 AM.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:09 AM   #8  
getting back on track

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmfuzzy View Post
just a quick thought on generics etc. My husband who is a liver transplant recipient just barely went off the name brand anti-rejection med. He can only use one specific brand of generic because there is too much variation in the other brands. My son who works for a pharmaceutacal(sp) company and my son-in-law who is a pharmacist say the same thing. There is a basic formulation but it can and does vary widely between brands. Also some add fillers that aren't good either.
This is true, which is why the research should be made and labels compared... some people are also allergic to certain things that CAN be used in the production of things so we always should read the fine print. This is why I was saying to read and compare labels... I for one can NOT have mushrooms for instance... and certain beauty products now use Shiitake and such... I stay away from it...also I avoid Soy (which is in a TON of things) because of the issue I had with Estrogen Dominance... so yes, ALWAYS compare labels
Old 08-18-2010, 10:26 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 202/165/150

WI#8 today: -1lb BUT-------------

-4 inches!!

All in a week's work.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:29 AM   #10  

S/C/G: S/C/G: 163.4/143.8/140

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon 2 B MrsT View Post

-4 inches!!

All in a week's work.
Yay! I love seeing inches lost!
Old 08-18-2010, 10:29 AM   #11  
getting back on track

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon 2 B MrsT View Post

-4 inches!!

All in a week's work.
Look at you go! Glad you got over that hump... you will be wedding ready!!!!
Old 08-18-2010, 10:32 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 202/165/150

Quote:
Look at you go! Glad you got over that hump... you will be wedding ready!!!!
I hope so! I go for my first dress fitting on Sept. 11th. I already know it's going to be too big...which is ABSOLUTELY fine with me. It's actually a quite nice problem to have. Expensive, but nice.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:56 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 233.5/214/160

Height: 5'3"

Good Morning Everyone!!!! Well I am back home to stay after 5 weeks of travel, camping and visiting!!! (not great for staying on Phase 1 ) So today I am back on track and hopefully it won't be to difficult to get back into ketosis. For the gals in Canada (MB, particularly) my daughter found the low carb ketchup at Superstore/Extra Foods. It is a Presidents Choise brand, called Blue Menu Ketchup sweetened with sucralose. For 1 tbsp it is 5 calories, 0 fat, 170 mg of sodium, 1 gr carb., 1g sugar, .2gr protein.....AND it tastes like real ketchup and only is $2.00 for a 990ml bottle!! I used 1 tsp on my IP omlet and it was great.

Have a great day Everyone!!!

Last edited by Journeysend; 08-18-2010 at 10:57 AM.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:22 AM   #14  

S/C/G: S: 236/C: 188/G: 125

Height: 5'5"

Quote:

I'm going to be reading some labels! All the supplements are so expensive (at least I think so!) I'm already shelling out around $80 a week for foods, I'd like to save a little here and there, if I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmfuzzy View Post
My clinic said in initial meeting that had to use their supplements because that's the only way IP lets them sell them and because they track results really close. Don't know how factual that is but willing to use them for now.
And here is where my concern comes in - I know that one woman has been "ejected" from the program twice for not following the guidelines. My coach seems very rigid about things, so I'm a little concerned about stepping over the line with him. But with a house and car payment and two kids in school, extra money's not easy to come by.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Barbara
Old 08-18-2010, 01:34 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 248.6/215.6/155

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by babsnwv View Post

Barbara
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debora View Post
I started yesterday and was only given 3 supplements. My coach said that the Fish Oil/Omega III is optional. She said if I was already taking that to keep taking it. I'm not taking it and they didn't push it at all...should I be taking it? I think if I do I will just buy it from Walmart!
Barbara - I had my first consultation with my coach last night and she told me that I could take my own fish oil caps, and my own Vitamins D & C.

~Linda
Closed Thread