Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-18-2010, 07:24 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 250/169/140

Height: 5 ft 8 inches

Default Cold and exercise

I've come down with a cold in the last few days -- it's a fairly bad one. I'm finding it difficult to get decent amounts of sleep as it's so difficult to breathe through my nose.

My issue is that obviously being so run down I can't exercise this week - and yet I'm as hungry as ever. Usually I eat 2000 calories a day and run for at least an hour. In order to lose the weight I usually do, I would have to eat 1400 tops.

But I'm finding it so difficult - I'm incredibly hungry! My throat is sore, but I still have an appetite.

What can I do? Last week was a disaster (I gained an lb) -- I don't want to gain anymore, but this situation is difficult.
Autumn Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:30 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 260/ticker/160

Height: 5'6 1/2"

Are you drinking plenty of fluids?

Hope you get better soon.
toobig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:34 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Rest. Let your body heal.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:55 AM   #4  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

I read somewhere that if your illness is located from the waist down do NOT exercise--and if your illness is located from the waist up it's ok to exercise. I think you should be sure to really push the fluids, eat really healthy, exercise lightly and get plenty of rest. I usually feel better if I continue to exercise when I have a cold. It seems to clear my head. Don't worry about the scale right now. Just take good care of yourself.

Last edited by losermom; 08-18-2010 at 07:56 AM.
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:03 AM   #5  

Thanks for the replies! I have to admit I've not been drinking too much fluid aside from warm cups of tea every few hours. I'll increase my water intake.

I think I worry so much about gaining any weight back that one week of no exercise seems a disaster to me. I may try some light walking later.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:04 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Quote:
Originally Posted by losermom View Post
I read somewhere that if your illness is located from the waist down do NOT exercise--and if your illness is located from the waist up it's ok to exercise. I think you should be sure to really push the fluids, eat really healthy, exercise lightly and get plenty of rest. I usually feel better if I continue to exercise when I have a cold. It seems to clear my head. Don't worry about the scale right now. Just take good care of yourself.
I think it's from the neck down - not to exercise (in your lungs), but from the neck up - ok to exercise (sniffly nose, etc.)
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:27 AM   #7  

I have a chesty cough, so that would that be a "neck down" ailment and reason not to exercise, I assume?
Old 08-18-2010, 09:52 AM   #8  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

I just don't. I used to feel guilty about it, but not anymore. I don't exercise when I have a cold or illness - I find that I just need to rest until I feel better and then get right back to my exercise routine. I know some people power through, but I can't. I was told once that your body is working at riding itself of the illness and that when you work out, your body has to repair muscles and it can slow it down from fighting off the bug.

Drink fluids! Eat your fruits and veggies!
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 12:45 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 195/*ticker*/123

Height: 5'2"

I too am fighting a cold from ****. I have been skipping the gym because my cold is also causing some major magraines. I seriously have been laying around all day. I had gotten off course of a healthy lifestyle for the weekend then got this cold, so I have used this sick time to just focus on eating healthy and fighting this bug.

One thing I fell in love with these last few days is crystal light, the pom/cherry blend. Its supposed to help with immunity boost but I got it because it was the only yummy looking flavor that was sold in big packets to make a pitcher of. I of course stick with straight water as much as possible but sometimes when I am wanting sweets or something with flavor to be more filling (psychologically of course) I have a glass of that. It feels good on my throat and my sweet tooth.

Also, I'm all for fighting sickness naturally, but if you must go out for work or whatever, my family and I all swear by advil cold and sinus. It works awesome! The good kind has pseduphedrine (sp?) in it so we can't get it here in Oregon, but my dad went to vancouver, wa this last weekend and brought me some... great stuff.

Get better hun! Do what you can but don't push yourself until your body is ready to focus it's energy on that and not attacking the virus.
AshleighAO is offline   Reply With Quote