Old 08-18-2010, 01:35 AM   #1  
cb1

S/C/G: 220/220/120

Height: 5'6

Default What do you do when you are sick?

I have really bad bronchitis. I fought it yesterday and was good, I even exercised, even though I was dying and couldn't breathe. Today... I didn't exercise and didn't eat properly. I couldn't even cook for my family. I went to the dr today and got some medicine, but I just wanted to lay and sleep... I feel like crap... I have a family to feed and on top of that myself, but cooking healthy requires so much, I end up chopping veggies for every single meal and baking our bread for the day, which didn't happen, so there was no bread.

I ended up making frozen pizza that hubby brought from the store for lunch and I ate a whole one throughout the day (1380 calories). I had an apple later (80 cal) and then I had 8 chocolate covered almonds (220) for a grand total of 1680, which is over my top limit of 1500. DIET FAIL!!! my husband and kids just ate whatever was in the house that was easy for them to grab.

My husband suggested I get some "easy to cook things" at the store tonight, but easy to cook usually means BOXED, PROCESSED, FATTENING, all of which we are trying to avoid as a family? anyway, I got the kids strawberries, so i can make oatmeal (fairly easy to boil water!!) but i don't know what to do for lunch/ supper tomorrow. i did pick up some string cheese, and i do have apples and carrot sticks for snacks for the kids. i hope i feel better tomorrow . Right now i want to cry because my throat hurts from coughing up junk and i can't even do my workout because i am wheezing so bad.

what do you do to stay on plan when you are sick and can't really cook healthy meals from scratch? I hope I lose extra weight just from being sick, I deserve at least that much!!!
cb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:40 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 250/110/110

Height: 5'4''

I usually make an easy pot of chicken soup with some of my favorite veggies in it. It's pretty low maintenance, and of course there's also a crock pot option! The crock pot is my best friend these days b/c you just throw everything in the pot, and several hours later, it's done all the work for you! I hope you feel better!
guamvixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:20 AM   #3  
Making Progress!

S/C/G: 210/ticker/165

Height: 5'10"

First of all, don't beat yourself up about going over your calories by 100-200 when you're really feeling rotten! However, if you're going to skip your regular exercise it's worth trying to focus on what you're eating. Make sure you aren't just using this as an excuse.

I would definitely go with guamvixen's suggestion of chicken soup, or whatever soup you fancy making. It's so simple and you can make enough for a few days. Also, don't stores have healthier pre-prepared options over there? I always hear people going on about Lean Cuisine etc. Over here in the UK every store has their own "healthy" range of ready meals - they may not be great on salt content etc, but it's certainly better than eating pizza!!

I would personally not do any hard working out if I had a bad spell of bronchitis - my mum has it, so I know the effect it can have on people, she normally runs 6 miles three times a week and would take the whole week off the gym if it got bad. Maybe just got for a stroll or take the kids to the park if you can, but don't push it.
dayoneagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 12:29 PM   #4  
Lindsay

S/C/G: 220/210/150

Height: 5'7

well, I hope you feel better!

when I'm sick I refuse to work out. I just watch what i'm eating. Have your hubby grab whatever he wants for the kids and himself if you feel like that;s okay, and have him get you some soup and or some lean cuisines. They're healthy and easy to prepare and cook.

and munch on some veggies, even if you don't feel like you want any, it will make you feel full. And if you have a craving for some sweets, go and brush your teeth. NOTHING tastes good with that taste in your mouth.
or you can chew some gum, to find off the sweet tooth.

hope you get to feeling better!!

Last edited by Mickeypnd; 08-18-2010 at 12:36 PM.
Mickeypnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:40 PM   #5  
from Here to There...

S/C/G: 256.2 lbs/241.2 lbs/120 lbs

Height: 5'4"

Eating healthy definitely doesn't mean you have to make everything from scratch. I've just been through a bilateral mastectomy and so can't chop, stir, etc. without my entire hand and arm hurting after a couple of minutes. I make soups with vegetable broth (if I don't have any homemade in the freezer, I use some store bought), frozen veggies, beans and herbs. I also enjoy Healthy Choice Gourmet Steamers frozen meals - no artificial flavours. Other things I do is cook meat ahead of time and freeze it in individual serving sizes. My teenage son makes himself burritos, sandwiches, tacos, salads, etc. without too much instruction (he'll make me some too if I'm hungry enough -- bonus!) Stir fries are easy to make with frozen veggies.

Remember that it's a temporary situation and not to beat yourself up over a few calories. You're doing well - don't let the bronchitis win!
SeaWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:47 PM   #6  
is super awesome.

S/C/G: ...ticker...

Height: 5'7"

Not to sound horrid, but... Can your hubby go to the store and make dinner for a few days? My mom was sick with some pretty serious diseases that eventually killed her, and my dad made dinner plenty of times when I was really little. No harm, no foul for a few days letting them roam, but if you are still out he might eventually need to make dinner for them AND YOU.

Maybe I'm mean. I expect my husband to cook something healthy when I'm sick, without me having to ask.

Hope you feel better. And have some tea, and take a nap!
kateleestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:28 PM   #7  
cb1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kateleestar View Post
Not to sound horrid, but... Can your hubby go to the store and make dinner for a few days? My mom was sick with some pretty serious diseases that eventually killed her, and my dad made dinner plenty of times when I was really little. No harm, no foul for a few days letting them roam, but if you are still out he might eventually need to make dinner for them AND YOU.

Maybe I'm mean. I expect my husband to cook something healthy when I'm sick, without me having to ask.

Hope you feel better. And have some tea, and take a nap!
Okay, well, dh can't cook. I mean he never has. His mom ALWAYS made food for him and living on his own he was subsisting on subway, juice and cold cereal when I met him. We're talking about a guy that can burn toast and screw up frozen pizza by not taking it out of the plastic package before putting it in the oven. lol.

The only thing I trust him to make is peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for the kids - b/c those don't require cooking. Oh, he can wash raw veggies, too, for snacks. Plus he works 2 jobs, so i hate putting an extra thing on him when he already works so many hours to bring home the food, so I don't really expect him to cook it as well.... it's unrealistic for him to spend a half hour to an hour cooking and THEN work until 11pm, kwim? He just wants to come home from job 1 eat, and get to job 2.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:34 PM   #8  
cb1

Well dh is going to get take out for him and the kids for supper... he gave them cold cereal and milk for breakfast this morning.

i made macaroni and cheese for lunch for the family (the cheap boxed kind). I told him I didn't want any and I would just snack on fruit/veggies etc. I have some already cooked chicken I can eat for supper, too. I guess a couple days of unhealthy eating won't kill me or the kids, lol!!! I have decided I am going to make a crockpot soup tomorrow like suggested for supper. I think I can pull that off. my 4 year old daughter graciously offered to cook dinner but I had to tell her no... she's fascinated with cooking but, alas, she's only 4. I know all she wants to do is get her hands on my stand mixer, lol!

Thanks for all the helpful advice. I just couldn't even think of a crockpot soup. I'm not sure why I didn't think of that originally b/c I do like my crockpot. I think I was just despairing... like why even go in the kitchen when I know i just feel like falling over...