Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 08-17-2010, 06:01 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 226/210/150

Height: 5'6"

Question Considering Gastric ByPass

I am so glad that I found this website! I found it a couple of days ago.

I have been looking into WLS for several years. I weigh 215 right now and am 5'6". My local surgeon requests a BMI of at least 35 or more or with comorbidities. I am pretty close to that.

In July of this year, I tested as a "pre-diabetic". My mother and all 5 of her sisters have diabetes and my mom's mom had diabetes. I have reflux as well. Heart issues are also in my family - as well as high cholesterol and high blood pressure. So far mine are ok. My cholesterol is getting up there though - it was 198 last time I had it checked.
I called my insurane and if I jump through several hoops - it will be covered.

I want this surgery; I think it is a good choice to PREVENT medical issues with obesity. I don't want diabetes...I don't want my hips and knees to hurt when I try to exercise...I want to live a long healthy life! I was an athlete in high school and college (volleyball and basketball) and weighed about 130-140pounds. Then I completely blew out my right knee and had reconstructive surgery. The weight seems like it just snuck up on me!

Any suggestions for "proving my case" for the surgery? I am not sure they will approve me because my weight might not be high enough. Which I find to be totally ironic!

I also feel badly because I have not even spoken to my husband about this possibility. He will say that I don't need it - I know that will be his answer. I am just tired of struggling with my weight and I really want to be able to exercise without hurting!

I am sorry to vent a little - that was not my intention actually. It just sorta came out as I was typing.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
FitVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:36 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

hey there, darlin! nice to meet you. here's my really big Q for you: where do you live? and the reason I'm asking is this: there are SEVERAL cllinical trials going on to see if WLS helps diabetics - i'm not aware of any that are recruiting pre-diabetics, but it's possible. these studies are generally done at large centers.

participating in a clinical trial may be a good way for you to go.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:58 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 226/210/150

Height: 5'6"

Hi jiffypop

I am in Iowa - I have not heard of clinical trials in my area. Are you aware of any?
FitVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:50 PM   #4  
So tired

S/C/G: 309/294/less

Height: 5'2"

Iowa info: If you are near the University of Iowa, their bariatric center does the lap band and RNY only. There is a clinic in the Quad cities that does the VSG. There are no surgeons in Iowa that perform the DS.

The University of Iowa bariatric center is quite popular and has many patients, so it's possible that they would have some trials going on.

Though if you don't qualify for the 35 BMI, it's a hard fight with your insurance company. I have heard of a few people who got surgery done between 33-35 BMI but they had some pretty serious co-morbidities. You might have to do a self-pay if you go this route.
30and300 is offline   Reply With Quote