Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-17-2010, 08:25 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 240/195/145

Height: 5'2

Default Went Back up 43lbs. in 6 months

Hello all. I am very confused at this point. My starting weight was 240 lbs. I lost 87lbs on my own and for the last 6 months I have been putting it back on. I have gained 43lbs back after getting down to 153. I don't understand what is going on. I am not pregnant. I am scared to go to the doctor because I am afraid something may be wrong. I have lost all motivation I have once had and am becoming depressed. What do I do? I know I can do this as I have done it before. It seems like it doesn't matter what I eat or if I eat at all I still gain weight. I am so confused please help!
shorty21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:32 AM   #2  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

You need to go to the doctor. If you are still eating the same things that lost you 87lbs (well done!), it's not normal to regain 43 in such a short time. (I did once regain 11lbs in 2 weeks but I was eating like a pig at the time.)

If something's wrong, the sooner you know, the sooner you can deal with it: if there is something wrong, it won't get better by ignoring it.

Take control, the same control you've already used to lose all that weight, and make that appointment. One thing for sure: however nervous you are about going, which I totally understand, the fact that you've taken control will definitely go towards lifting the curtain of depression.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:36 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 150/130/125

Height: 5'4" 42 years old

Something changed in your diet probably. I don’t think you gained that weight back over night….can you think of what has changed? Did you start eating more or stopped exercising or both? There is always a reason and always a solution. Don’t be too sad over it, you can fix the problem. It is all in your hands.
onthedietagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:36 AM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hi, shorty21. I know how it is to find yourself regaining.

Are you taking any medications, such as anti-depressants? Some medications can contribute to weight gain.

Are you tracking your calories? Do you know how much you are eating every day? You must eat--not eating won't help you. Tracking may help you get a handle on it.

Even though you're scared, I would see a doctor. I'd ask to have thyroid tests done, including thyroid antibodies. Most of the time, weight gain like you're experiencing can be a simple matter of eating too much and being physically inactive, but there may also be metabolic causes that should be checked out.

Good luck!
Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 08-17-2010 at 08:37 AM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:01 AM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I think we need a little more info here.

Are you saying that you are eating the same foods in the same quantities that got you to lose the weight and now you are gaining from it?

Or is it that you are no longer eating that way? That for the past few months you have been reverting back to old habits?

I know for me, a couple of years ago I gained about 10 lbs in a week, by eating very poorly - it was totally my doing. So it would be quite easy for me to gain 43 lbs in 6 months for no other reason than I was eating too much.

So again, I'm unclear whether you think this just happened *on it's own*, with no explanation or it WAS self induced. Let us know, so we can guide you further.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:18 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 240/195/145

Height: 5'2

Hey ladies thank you for posting. I am still eating the way i used to. I don't work out as much but I do walk my block which is 5 miles 2 or 3 times a week. I no longer have my workout buddy which was a big help at the time. I am also always on the go because i have 4 children (2 of my own and 2 are my bf's which i call my own). So I don't just sit around and eat. That's what's confusing me. I still eat the same way. I shouldn't be putting on weight so fast just because exercise has slowed some should I? I used to walk my block everyday.
shorty21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:41 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

How are you tracking your food intake? Is it possible that a little bit "here and there" is starting to crop up in your daily life? While weight gain from thyroid/medical factors is absolutely possible, it is highly unlikely that could be the source of the entire gain. Sounds like you are less active now that you don't have your workout buddy? You also say you are always on the go - so are you trying to guestimate portions eating out, or packing food to go without counting?
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:23 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 195/130/135

Height: 5'4"

Have you started ANY sort of new medication recently?

I gained 60 lbs. from a medication and was beside myself because the doctor was trying to tell me it wasn't the medication....and no matter what I tried, I still kept gaining. I finally stopped the medication AMA and sure enough, the gain stopped like magic.

Certain medications, IMO, can almost totally shut down your metabolism....if they affect the hypothalamus and the endocrine system.

deena
Deena52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:46 AM   #9  
from Here to There...

S/C/G: 256.2 lbs/241.2 lbs/120 lbs

Height: 5'4"

Weight gain can certainly creep up when we change things around -- less activity, sometimes finishing off what the kids don't finish rather than throwing it away, etc. And although you may be active with the four kids, it may not burn as many calories as you might think. But I would definitely go to the doctor if I were you as there could be many other things involved. For example, low thyroid changes how you metabolise food and also drains your energy. It's an easy fix if that's what it is, but only a visit to the doctor can tell you for sure... Either way, don't give up!
SeaWave is offline   Reply With Quote