Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 08-16-2010, 04:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 138/135/119

Height: 5'5

Default Before and Afters?

Do any of you weight lifters have before and after pictures? Or even in progress ones. I am still so hesitant about lifting. I love the toned Jessica Alba, Beil, Simpson look but I am weight lifting ignorant. hehe I would love to see before and after photos of people who weightlifted during their "diet". Also, any beginner weight lifting tips? Thanks!!
Dianne042425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:33 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

I'm sorry, I do not have any "before" pictures. I was too scared.

I will share this though.

I am now 5'5 and 136lbs. Below is a picture of me at 145lbs and 5'5 (40lb weight gain, 20lbs lost at delivery) - 9 weeks after having a baby. I have weight trained for 6 years including during pregnancy.

I'm the one with the plaid top.

Compare that to this picture attached of another girl at 145lbs and 5'5.

Do you see the difference in body weight distribution?
http://www.soompi.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=320232

Not a huge difference, but one nonetheless. As you can see, if you did not just have a baby, how much of a different shape your body can have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aug14.jpg (46.5 KB, 118 views)
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:42 PM   #3  

Sorry, it's blurry, but here's one from last September, I was 1 month pregnant. I was about 125lbs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg before.jpg (15.1 KB, 128 views)
Old 08-16-2010, 05:11 PM   #4  

Sacha I do see a difference. You look incredibl!! How inspiring! Thank you for that! I feel there is much to know about weightlifting so I am nervous to try it. I feel it does make such a difference so if not done right, you can change your body shape for the worse!
Old 08-16-2010, 06:59 PM   #5  

Hey thanks We all started out as clueless. I used to be scared to even look at the weight room, and now I have taught guys how to use the squat rack. We all start somewhere
Old 08-16-2010, 11:25 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 220/183/140

Height: 5'4"

I think that you should just jump in. There is a new book called New Rules for Lifting for Women that you might find really helpful. You will learn as you go along. Don't be shy or too nervous about it.

I don't have any pictures either but I can tell you that in 6 months i have definition to my upper and lower extremities, a much stronger core and feel so much better. You will too.
Tejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:19 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 405/216/205

Height: 6'4

Year and a half. Ok I'm flexing in the last pic I can't lie.

Last edited by tryhardforlife; 08-17-2010 at 01:30 AM.
tryhardforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 06:27 AM   #8  
Mel

I was searching old threads for a picture of Lydia and me that we took both flexed and unflexed at a gym a few years ago...couldn't find it. But to give you an idea of the difference, I was at goal when I started lifting seriously as opposed to doing hamster cardio and light circuit training, and I lost 2 pants sizes while staying the same weight.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:27 AM   #9  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

My progress photos so far are only show me losing weight with light weight lifting and mostly cardio.

I've been lifting for a few weeks with free weights and this is my second week of doing New Rules of Lifting for women.

My body is literally transforming, I'm seeing a true change other than myself just getting smaller (well I'm still getting smaller). I'm starting to get definition in my arms, my legs are looking seriouslly sexy, and the one part of me I thought I could never change has! My butt has been the plight of my existance since I hit puberty and all my curves went to my chest. Weight lifting has actually given me a rounder and nicer butt! I didn't think it could get bigger if it was non existant, haha.

My fiance and I are getting much more intimate because of this as well He likes that I'm becoming this strong woman who takes care of herself and works hard to get a smoking body.

I say do it! Jessica Biel I believe is big into exercise and weights. She's the healthiest looking of the three of them.
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:44 AM   #10  

Tejas I'll have to check out that book. I am hearing that free weights are much better than the machines. Problem is, I think I am doing the free weights wrong becuase it's not that hard for me and the next day I am not sore.

Tryhardforlife WHAT A DIFFERENCE! You look GREAT! I feel like you men can lose weight much easier than us women. You all can just cut out one thing in your diet and lose; heck, you can think about losing weight and lose But its a battle for everyone; and you have done great!! You look like a new person!

Mel and Stephanie Ok I am going to list the reasons why I talk myself out of weight lifting. I am probably going to sound like an annoying whining person but I really want to start weightlifting but I need to get past my mental blocks first.

1. I have a lot of muscle under my fat because I was athletic for 7 years and all throughout high school. I have it in my mind that if I could just diet and do cardio to remove the layer of fat on my muscle, then I wont have big muscles but nice toned ones.

2. I have a bubble butt! Yes I said it, a bubble butt. I have a small waist which makes it look even bubblier. Im not kidding I have people asking me all the time if I have had butt surgery lol So needless to say my butt is perky and I do NOT want it to get any bigger or "perkier". I would actually like it to maybe go down a bit? (not sag, but less fat?)

3. I really really dont like that buff look on women. That is just my opinion and I feel like I already look "thick". I know they say its hard for women to get bulky but I am terrified of looking bigger when the goal is to look smaller.

How do you know you got a good training workout in? How many days a week should you train? I have decided to start circuit training 2 days a week. Below is what I was thinking of doing, but again I could be WAY off and not even heading in the right direction with weight training..

10 minutes running
50 Leg lifts on both sides
crunches with medicine ball
tricep and bicep exercises with free weights
pushups
5 minutes running
repeat exercises above
5 minutes running
reapeat exercises above
5 minutes on the stairmaster

What do you think?

Sorry for the long post!!
Old 08-17-2010, 09:54 AM   #11  

I would recommend using a beginner routine like ones below:
http://www.stumptuous.com/workout-1

The one you wrote is just a bunch of isolated exercises thrown together, missing major muscle groups. There are far better exercises and routines that will give you better results. If you think Jessica Biel looks good, keep in mind that she lifts hard and heavy to look like that. Squats, bench press, deadlifts.

Looking "thick" is down to diet. A woman can have very little muscle on her but thinks that she looks "bulky" when really she is just holding a lot of body fat. I would also recommend you get the book "New Rules of Lifting for Women" - use the diet section and the workout routine, and you cannot go wrong, I promise.

Here is one of my favourite ladies, Melanie Roach. This is an example of a woman who can pull 248lbs over her head. She is about 117lbs. She is an elite athlete of course (Olympic record holder). If an Olympic record holder can do that and look like this, you can be assured that you will not look anything manly at all of course. Any idea you have of that involves the use of growth hormones and excessively low body fat.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:27 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacha View Post
I would recommend using a beginner routine like ones below:
http://www.stumptuous.com/workout-1

The one you wrote is just a bunch of isolated exercises thrown together, missing major muscle groups. There are far better exercises and routines that will give you better results. If you think Jessica Biel looks good, keep in mind that she lifts hard and heavy to look like that. Squats, bench press, deadlifts.

Looking "thick" is down to diet. A woman can have very little muscle on her but thinks that she looks "bulky" when really she is just holding a lot of body fat. I would also recommend you get the book "New Rules of Lifting for Women" - use the diet section and the workout routine, and you cannot go wrong, I promise.

Here is one of my favourite ladies, Melanie Roach. This is an example of a woman who can pull 248lbs over her head. She is about 117lbs. She is an elite athlete of course (Olympic record holder). If an Olympic record holder can do that and look like this, you can be assured that you will not look anything manly at all of course. Any idea you have of that involves the use of growth hormones and excessively low body fat.
I think you are right. I was considering getting the p90x videos so I can have a guide. I heard its pretty intense though.

What are your thoughts on squats and lunges? They say those are the best exercises for your legs and toning them. But I always hear its good for perking your butt; and as you know, that is not what I want. Could I do lunges and squats to tone my legs without perking my butt too big and without getting bulky legs?
Old 08-17-2010, 12:35 PM   #13  

You won''t get a big butt or bulky legs from squats or lunges. You need to keep your diet in check. "Bulky legs" on women are just women who squat and still eat too much. I have been squatting and doing lunges for years.

P90X is a good introduction. I find the reps to still be too light. I prefer 4-6 reps of very heavy weight.

The only thing that will hold you back is your fear of being "bulky". I've been trying to get "bulky" for about 6 years now and it is still elusive ;-) There is no such thing as toning. You build muscle or you don't. It takes women many years to build muscle. Very few women understand that carrying high body fat is what makes them look thick - it has nothing to do with their muscle
Old 08-17-2010, 12:39 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacha View Post
You won''t get a big butt or bulky legs from squats or lunges. You need to keep your diet in check. "Bulky legs" on women are just women who squat and still eat too much. I have been squatting and doing lunges for years.

P90X is a good introduction. I find the reps to still be too light. I prefer 4-6 reps of very heavy weight.

The only thing that will hold you back is your fear of being "bulky". I've been trying to get "bulky" for about 6 years now and it is still elusive ;-) There is no such thing as toning. You build muscle or you don't. It takes women many years to build muscle. Very few women understand that carrying high body fat is what makes them look thick - it has nothing to do with their muscle
Thanks Sacha, that is very good to know! I am going to stop fearing getting bulky. Do you think maybe I should lose a little fat first before weight training or should I start the weight traing along withmy cardio and diet change? Sorry for all the questions!!
Old 08-17-2010, 02:00 PM   #15  
Working My Way Back Down

Okay, here are Mel and Lydia working out together. In the first photo, they're standing normally, in second, they're flexing. I'd kill to look like them.

WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote