Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 08-14-2010, 10:11 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 350/239/160

Question Help Needed with Eating Disorders

First off, I am happy that I had WLS and for my 100+ weight loss. However, I am still a compulsive eater in my head. I continue to obsess about food and about what can I eat and still lose weight. I do find some support on WLS boards but there seems to be a stigma attached to the idea that we are not perfect eaters after WLS. I am looking for folks who still struggle post-surgery to control their head hunger and sometimes fail. I started going to OA and I love it but I want something specific for WLS people. I would appreciate if anyone wants to share.
TIA.
Cat
CatWuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:29 AM   #2  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

*shoots her hand up in the air* OOH, ooh, ooh, pick me!!

Hi,, my name is Jill, and I'm a compulsive eater. Before my surgery, I was a compulsive overeater - now I just consider myself a compulsive eater because the reduction in stomach capacity keeps from eating way too much at one sitting. However, it doesn't keep me from eating when I'm not hungry, and it doesn't keep from eating something "just because it's there." I need counseling for this - I know it, I just need to DO it. I looked up counselors a couple times, but life got in the way before I would make an appointment, so here I sit, continuing to struggle without getting the help I know I need. Meanwhile, I just keep chugging along..
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:39 AM   #3  
Old Cackler

Cat - thanks for bringing this out in the open. NONE of us had surgery on our brains or emotions - we only had surgery on our digestive tracts. it takes A LONG time. some of it seems hardwired. I'm just coming out of about 18 months of stress eating - and am ashamed to say that I barely noticed that i was stressing so bad!!

over the past few weeks, though, my eating has calmed down [thank goodness!!!] and i'm getting full on very little. Of course, that's raising OTHER issues, especially that I'm not getting enough protein. I'm considering eating veggies/small amounts of fruit, and getting my protein in supplements. just until i stop tossing meat and chicken.

what do you all think about that? i'm really surprised that this is happening, but there it is!!!

and BROWN - please be sure to read Jennifer's thread http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weig...ead-first.html .
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:10 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 350/239/160

Thanks to you all for your supportive responses. I am seeking professional help for my "new" eating disorders. I mean new in the sense that I have been inducing myself to throw up for months now. It started off as a way to overeat but now I just do it because I don't want to ingest the calories. I have become a restricter too-afraid to eat enough. And I take laxatives. I am really afraid that I will permanently hurt my body but I am so desperate to keep losing weight.
I thought I was totally prepared mentally for the surgery but I was wrong. I can't fault my surgeon-I was warned of these complications and nobody forced me to have the WLS. For me, the emotional dysfunction that pushed me to weigh 350 lbs did not weaken after the operation. Now, I am going to OA 4x a week and a therapist twice so I have a lot of hope that I will stop this sick behavior.
Send me your well wishes please.
CatWuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:42 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 287/see ticker/180

Height: 5'5.5"

It is so true that we had surgery on our digestive systems and not our brains!

I didn't think that WLS would be the cure-all but I thought not being able to eat as much would help me. I was grossly wrong.

There are still times that I think I could eat a horse.....and find that I'm trying to. It is worse when I go out to eat with family. My hubby tends to eat alot and fast. So there are times that I'm still slowly munching and he is done. It is frustrating to me. I have even talked to him about eating slower but he is just a fast eater. So I ofter times eat fast and overeat.

After I overeat I often times feel guilty and ashamed. Here I have gone thru major, lifechanging surgery only to still have problems with food.
Maybe that is another reason that I don't get rid of all my big clothes.....I keep thinking that I'm going to get fat again and need them.

I have not thought about going to see a therapist about my food issues nor have I told anyone about it. Like I said I'm ashamed and don't want anyone to know that just because the outside is looking better the inside is still scewed up.

So trust me you aren't the only one......there are many that still need help.

mgf~
MyGirlFriday is offline   Reply With Quote