Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-14-2010, 08:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 205/160s/128

Height: 5'0"

Post Exercising while injured?

Hello lovely people,

I tried having a search but couldn't find the same situation as mine. I posted a few weeks ago about exercising while sick and now I've got another query hah!

I've done something to my right foot. I'm not sure if I did it while exercising or while doing something else, but either way, my right foot is pretty painful - kind of on the top from my ankle to where my toes start - shooting pain when I put pressure on it, much much worse first thing in the morning but mostly just sore all day.

I'm so worried about taking too much time off exercise but I know I should probably give things like the treadmill and the exercise dvds (hip hop abs and turbo jam) a rest until the foot feels better.

I was just wondering whether using the stationary bike would be ok with this issue and what people think? Being that this coming week is my 5th week of exercise/healthy lifestyle, I'm really scared to stop exercising this soon into it!

Are there any other exercises I can do (at home preferably) that will still get my heart rate going but not put too much pressure on my foot? And should I get my foot checked out or is it likely to just be a sprain that will go away on it's own?

Thanks for advice in advance! Have already taken 2 days off in a row!

Sarah
rainbowstripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 09:55 PM   #2  

First, definately have it checked/x-rayed - you could have a broken bone.
If you keep exercising, you might do more damage than good.

Then, if you have access to a pool, you can get a great cardio workout with water aerobics and it will be less stress on your foot while it is healing.
Sherrie568 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:11 PM   #3  
weight, be gone!

S/C/G: 227/191/125

Height: 5' 4"

I agree with Sherrie568 about getting checked and not using it.

If you have a Wii, there are things that you could do and stay seated (I have a herniated disk, among other back issues, so I have to be careful, too). I've done "Just Dance", and my BFF started doing the beginner yoga. Also you could do light (like 1#) weights while seated. I'm sure there are tons of videos to download and dvds out there that have more upper-body exercise ideas until you're healed.

I hope it's not broken and you're feeling better soon!!
lolcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:34 PM   #4  

Thanks you two! I'm hesitant to get it checked out, especially at the moment as my Dad was taken to hospital urgently on Friday so I'm trying not to cause any extra stress for my mum or family and I'm also fairly low on money.

I would think that maybe if it was a broken bone I wouldn't be able to walk at all?

But then again I don't really know. The pain eases as the day goes on but it's still sore and then starts to get worse again toward the end of the day. I work retail so I"m meant to stand all day but I've been sitting on a stool today because of the pain and hey, it's Sunday, what kind of customer would complain about me sitting?!

I don't have access to a pool (and I'm not a confident swimmer really either/hate wearing swimsuit!) so I'm thinking I might try some of the gentler Wii fit exercises? I'm not sure. It seems everything I can think of has me on my feet mostly and I guess my idea of the stationary bike is not that brilliant either as it's still using the foot for pressure... but thought it might be better than nothing!
Old 08-14-2010, 10:54 PM   #5  
weight, be gone!

S/C/G: 227/191/125

Height: 5' 4"

Oh, no, I'm sorry to hear that your Dad's in hospital - I hope that he's going to be okay!!
I can definitely sympathize with the financial worries, and understand your reluctance to be checked. Just be extremely careful... the saying "if you can move it, it isn't broken" certainly is not true. I've broken both feet, four toes, and my L5 vertebrae. (All at separate times, lol) and was able to move and walk each time, but with pain. At one of my previous jobs, a coworker stepped in a hole on our way to lunch. I heard a snap, but she walked to the car. Our supervisor took her to hospital, and her ankle was broken in 3 places.

Maybe do an internet search for "how to treat a foot sprain" to get advice on wrapping and icing your foot, and stay off it as much as possible. If the pain increases or does not dissipate, you may want to call your family doctor.

I think it would be really easy to modify most of the Wii things... especially if I can do "Just Dance" while seated.... and I think you're right, the bike would be pressure on your foot.
Just don't rush getting back on that foot!!
lolcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:35 PM   #6  

Thanks for the advice lolcat, it's really sensible, I just think I'm not in the most sensible frame of mind right now! I know the pain is probably more serious than I'm willing to admit so if it doesn't improve by Wednesday, I'll go get it checked out then (that's my day off).

I hope my Dad will be ok too, he is part of the reason I'm really taking this whole thing seriously this time - he was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes 4 months ago. However the reason he's in hospital is because none of the medication was working and he basically got really weak and ended up with ridiculously high levels of acid in his blood. I'm not really sure of the whole story because medical stuff confuses me, but it seems as though they may have misdiagnosed him as Type 2 when he's really Type 1. Either way, he's not a very well man and it's really an incentive for me to get healthy now while I'm young and avoid having that type of thing happen to me when I get older, particularly as it runs in the family - which I just found out this week!

Sorry for the rant! I think tomorrow evening after work I'll try to do some of the Wii Fit stuff that doesn't put pressure on my foot. Or hopefully my foot will get better!
Old 08-14-2010, 11:36 PM   #7  

Also, going to visit my Dad in hospital after work today - maybe I can just sneak in and find an xray machine and do one myself haha!
Old 08-15-2010, 06:59 AM   #8  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

Definitely get it checked -- could be a stress fracture! There are so many little bones in the foot.

In the meantime, you could do all sorts of exercises with hand weights to tone your arms, and don't forget the crunches! Also, knee pushups and, depending if your foot hurts or not when you do them, tricep dips.

I hope your dad feels better soon!
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 04:38 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 208/ticker/143 - HW: 240

Height: 5'8''

Definitely get it checked. I get the same sort of pain and it turned out there was nothing wrong with me (after about the 3rd time I had it checked; I still get the pain, and still have no idea why) but you never know. I usually only get that pain when I did the elliptical the night before, for some reason, and it comes on in the morning and always go aways after a few hours. Very weird, but you can't be too careful!
Laureedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 04:41 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

I had the same thing as you and didn't get it checked.. 2 years later turns out it was a small fracture. I'm not saying that is what you have, but that is something that can effect your mobility for life (unfortunately I still cannot run long distances like I used to because I ignored it). Get it checked!
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 04:59 PM   #11  
Rockin Socks since 1984

S/C/G: 205/179/155

Height: 5'3.5

i came across this in the exercisetv blog about a week ago. it looks like it may help? she looks pretty ridiculous doing it, but it should work. i would suggest doing it when no one's around because they look pretty silly, but they def look like they work!

http://www.youtube.com/user/Exercise...36/1uz2wY129PM

http://www.youtube.com/user/Exercise...47/sx3epvPzlz4
amyleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 05:12 PM   #12  
A Work in Progress

S/C/G: S-201.5/C-142.5/G-145.0

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyleigh View Post
i came across this in the exercisetv blog about a week ago. it looks like it may help? she looks pretty ridiculous doing it, but it should work. i would suggest doing it when no one's around because they look pretty silly, but they def look like they work!

http://www.youtube.com/user/Exercise...36/1uz2wY129PM

http://www.youtube.com/user/Exercise...47/sx3epvPzlz4
I couldn't help but check this out...and it actually made me laugh out loud!! BUT, after I got done cracking up, I wondered if my arms would make it through non-stop exercises for the duration. I may try it at home one day...but I'm not sure I'll admit it to anyone!!
cherylmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 05:22 PM   #13  

Thanks lovelies! I am going to get it checked on Wednesday if it's still giving me trouble. It was sore this morning but not as bad as yesterday morning.

amyleigh: I really want to watch those videos now haha! I'm at work so can't get on youtube but definitely will have a look when I get home. If it's arm workouts then I probably should actually take this as an opportunity to work on my arms! They're pretty weak I think, I did the Turbo Jam Turbo Sculpt workout last week and I really felt it (uses hand weights).

Thanks!