Weight Loss News and Current Events - Women giving up sex to be skinny?

View Full Version : Women giving up sex to be skinny?

therex
08-13-2010, 08:37 PM
A survey conducted shows that women would give up sex and rewards to be skinny. Kinda intense, i think.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/over_percent_return_american_women_Ao3Y6y9CuUfsHhv a16VzBL

The article basically states that a survey found that 50% of women in the US would remain celibate for the summer just so they wouldn't gain an extra 10 pounds. The same survey also found that 73% of American women would give up their cell phones, TVs or computers while 25% would give up a promotion at work just to avoid an extra 10 to 20 pounds!

I hate to admit it, but i would give up sex for the summer to lose 10-20 pounds. Heck, i'd probably give it up for the whole rest of the year.

So, would you guys give up a promotion, sex, or cellphones to stay thin, or get thin?

Tejas
08-13-2010, 09:05 PM
Ah, but would they give up junk food and being lazy?

dudesmom
08-13-2010, 09:16 PM

Great question!!! I would definitely give up laziness and junk food before I gave up sex. Cell phone, okay, TV, sure, but sex? Probably not!

mandalinn82
08-13-2010, 09:21 PM
There was a discussion of this on some morning show this morning, and they were reading viewer comments as to what they'd give up to lose 10 lbs. One woman said "I won't give up anything! That's my problem!"

JessLess
08-13-2010, 10:09 PM
I'd give up my cell phone but giving up cookies makes a lot more sense. :)

astrophe
08-13-2010, 10:40 PM
Strange fluff piece. Where's the actual full survey? Was it all about wishful thinking?

None of that -- sex, promotion at work, cel, etc -- is anything that make a serious impact on weight loss.

A.

HelenMay
08-14-2010, 08:22 AM
Isn`t sex considered exercise? :carrot::o

charmtime
08-14-2010, 08:55 PM
Yes it is great exercise and seriously....WHO would give it up??

therex
08-14-2010, 11:05 PM
i don't see it as that big as a stretch of the imagination to give up sex, honestly. but then again, some women are actually happy with their sex life.

boots
08-14-2010, 11:49 PM
yeah....I couldn't give up sex. Thankfully thats not a requirement to lose weight or I'd stay fat forever.....

ringmaster
08-15-2010, 05:52 PM

that makes better sense.. If they want to be thin so bad they'll give up something, then give up the booze, junk food, overeating, etc...

It is kinda amazing giving up sex, tv, your cell phone is EASIER than giving up food. Although I wouldn't have a problem giving up all that, and I'm single so that much easier for me... but food is always a different story.

vixxi
08-15-2010, 08:29 PM
sex, no. no way lol:cheers:

swtbttrfly23
08-15-2010, 08:43 PM
Crazy, especially considering one of my big reasons to lose weight is to have more and better sex!!

Natasha1534
08-15-2010, 09:12 PM
Crazy, especially considering one of my big reasons to lose weight is to have more and better sex!!
For real!!! If you're having a great sex life, why do you NEED to lose 10 pounds??? LOL

If I was having sex, I wouldn't give it up to lose 10 pounds. Cellphone...no. TV, yeah. Promotion, maybe (I'm at the highest level I'd like to go right now anyway and didn't put in for the last chance at a promotion). But sex...no way.

Lori Bell
08-15-2010, 09:36 PM
I don't know, I think if someone told me I'd never gain back ANY of the weight I've lost by not having sex, I'd say GREAT...sign me up!!! Never been a big sex person...I've got enough kids, and that's about all it's good for anyway... ;)

caryesings
08-16-2010, 09:09 AM
I don't know, I think if someone told me I'd never gain back ANY of the weight I've lost by not having sex, I'd say GREAT...sign me up!!! Never been a big sex person...I've got enough kids, and that's about all it's good for anyway... ;)

Ha, don't believe her. When I started on these boards and confessed I hadn't had sex in 18 years, Lori was the one that told me I needed to go "get some"!

stellarosa27
08-16-2010, 12:48 PM
Uh. No. You can take cinnabons away from me...oh wait, already did that...but not sex.

ThicknPretty
08-16-2010, 04:06 PM
I don't think the study was really scientific or suggesting that abstaining from sex would actually yield any results as far as weight loss. It was just an IF this would happen, WOULD you do this question.

And yes, I would. Idk why, but lately, sex is grossing me out to the extreme and I have no interest in it. So I'm doing it now anyway, I'd be even more pleased to do so if I thought it would help me lose or maintain weight! Even in my more, eh, "active" days, I think I would have been willing to give it up.

Cell phone? Probably NOT, thanks. Lol.

Aclai4067
08-16-2010, 07:13 PM
Gosh, If only you could just be handed a 10 lb weight loss for not having sex for a few months. I haven't had sex in three and a half years. If I lost 10 lbs per season for that I'd be at goal weight! Giving up TV and computers to lose weight sounds like a more reasonable question, since giving up those thing actually COULD lead to weight loss (assuming you replace that sitting time with moving around)

Pandabear
08-16-2010, 07:35 PM
There was a discussion of this on some morning show this morning, and they were reading viewer comments as to what they'd give up to lose 10 lbs. One woman said "I won't give up anything! That's my problem!"

this is why im at my current weight!! Although after losing baby weight i was looking a little too good and got pregnant again! sooo maybe i would give up sex... ut oh dont tell the FH!! lol

goalgetta
08-25-2010, 11:56 AM
I think that the idea of giving up sex to lose weight is not a bad one. To clarify, I think that if someone uses sex as an incentive to lose weight, abstaining until they reach certain goals is actually not a bad idea (and something I was considering doing). I think that if done right with the right intentions, it could have a good impact on one losing weight. I can see it as no different from waiting to get your hair colored when you lost 20 lbs.

sinfuldays
08-25-2010, 02:25 PM
i've never had sex so **** yes i'd give it up! :D

caribbeangirl02
08-26-2010, 01:50 PM
Well, I hate to take this poll seriously, but perhaps we should consider whether or not this question is ask to somebody involved in a relationship. Even if I would be willing to make such sacrifice (and I'm not), I would need to consider my husband's opinion on this issue....
Oh well, maybe I'm taking this whole made up scenario to seriously!!!

katkitten
09-01-2010, 07:07 AM
yeah...i dont have sex anyways so i guess i could give it up lol

Nebuchadnezzar
10-15-2010, 08:49 AM
I wont lie...I would commit some seriously nefarious deeds to shuck this 160 off of my body. Even if the deed was pure evil, I know I'd still at least consider it.

Kinda bothers me.

4star
10-15-2010, 12:01 PM
Not in a million years. I could never trade sex for being thin. I'd rather stay fat and have orgasms.

WillsAngel
10-15-2010, 12:13 PM

YES!!! Me too!! I am sorry but sex is good for you, it is exercise, increases stamina, flexibility...and best of all it is exercise you can ENJOY!!

I am sorry I wouldn't give up sex for 10 - 20 lbs. I can understand giving up TV cuz sitting around watching tv contributes to lack of exercise etc.

katy trail
10-15-2010, 12:17 PM
i heard about this on the news. it was a choice of abstaining or gaining weight. they'd rather be celebate(sp?) than GAIN.

LindsayW
11-01-2010, 03:39 PM
Hmm, I've gone almost 4 years with no sex. I think I could go a bit longer if it meant I would lose weight ;)

GradPhase
11-01-2010, 03:50 PM
I'd almost be happy to do it.

Natasha1534
11-01-2010, 08:14 PM
Hmm, I've gone almost 4 years with no sex. I think I could go a bit longer if it meant I would lose weight ;)
Yay...someone else in the same boat as me!!! For some reason the longer you go the less it seems to matter. *shrugs*

penmage
11-02-2010, 12:46 AM
Uh...no. I like sex FAR too much to give it up for weight loss. I'll just give up the snacking and the pizza and alcohol and chocolate and...etc,etc. The sex stays, lol.

Nicki6
12-12-2010, 09:01 AM
Isn't sex a great exercise though? Doesn't burn as many calories as jogging, running, or weight lifting but if your in a relationship, isn't that a sign a great one? People are crazy..to each there own, i guess.

Krazy
12-12-2010, 08:58 PM
I would give up sex for 3 months, if that meant I could eat whatever I want and not exercise, and then still lose 10 pounds. Yes, of course I would. I mean really, itís only 3 months.

seidlet
12-12-2010, 09:24 PM
i literally can't think of anything i would be willing to give up sex for. heck, i'm not willing to give up sex for 24 hours to lose 10 pounds, let alone 3 months.

vdander24
12-12-2010, 09:32 PM
Take my cell phone, my TV, junkfood,.... But I'll keep the 10lbs if it means no sex... Besides, if I am giving up everything else, how am I going to keep busy! LOL

shcirerf
12-13-2010, 12:49 AM
Hmm, sex, 10 lbs, sex, 10 lbs.

I'll keep the sex and the 10 lbs.

While we're older and the sex isn't as often, it's still good. As long as no one gets a cramp! ;)

luciddepths
02-20-2011, 09:45 PM
Man oh man. I could NEVER give up sex. It would not even be a consideration, cell phone, computer and food (already given up a lot of foods) alright i can do that! but... MMM SEXY TIME WITH MY MAN? ha. NOT A CHANCE!!

ParadiseFalls
02-21-2011, 12:16 PM
Oh man! Not for 10 pounds, but I would give up any of those things for goal weight. If someone gave me the option of living in a 5x5 room with nothing but water, saltine crackers and books for the next six months, and when the time was up I'd be 140 pounds, I'd take it in a heartbeat.

Porthardygurl
02-21-2011, 12:30 PM
Hmm..interesting..Goalgetta..i tried the whole " I will lose 5 pounds before i have sex with my man"....yah..i didnt last a day cause it took me almost 2 weeks to lose 1 pound...so no..that doesnt work as well as you think for either parties..

As far as not having sex for a month?? I could go without..i mean..my sex life is enjoyable and i like it..but im only 25 and i went years without it before meeting my hunny..so..a few months wont kill me..Now Chocolate..is something you could not ask me to give up..cause i mean..you can use unsweetened cocoa in low sugar low carb recipes..and it saves my diet..and sugar free chocolate??? oh my goodness..i coudnt give that up..

luciddepths
02-21-2011, 12:37 PM
Maybe it's me lol but it's too good, those that are willing that have partners? It can't be that good/amazing with your partner?

There is a few on here I can tell by their response it is like earth shaking ;) so they refuse to give it up.

I wonder if the ones willing to give it up are having their needs met/fulfilled?

Do you guys think that might be the case?
Not saying their sex isn't "okay, good or decent"'but when it's amazing! You hold on for dear life!

Shu
02-21-2011, 12:52 PM
Maybe the people in this study had no idea what they were talking about. Only you can control what you eat and how much you exercise - therefore, you do have control over the weight. To have sex, you must want it and have a partner who is equally into it. It is much more difficult to control. My advice, take the sex when you can get it. LOL!

DisgruntledOne
02-21-2011, 12:55 PM
Ahhhh poop I have already gave up sex. I should've waited to make this deal.

Ruthxxx
02-22-2011, 05:25 AM
Me too, Disgruntled! :rofl:

NicoleInCt
02-22-2011, 07:41 AM

ha! perfect!

pamatga
02-24-2011, 01:42 PM
All this article tells me is that there are more women who care more about what they look like than whether they have a loving physical relationship with anyone or anything (by the sounds of it).

Evidently, we are that much of a narcisstic, vain culture that we would even give up the chance for intimacy and closeness to be an abitrary 10-20 lbs. less.

Then, we become thin(ner) but lonely from the isolation? We were created to connect to others in a meaningful way.

The problem is not on our hips but in our minds! Sick!

Vanity of vanity, all things are vanities.

RetroChick
02-24-2011, 07:38 PM
For 10 pounds, no.
For 100 pounds, yes.
And then... woo hooooo!

JanieJones
02-26-2011, 10:47 AM
Ever since losing my weight 2 years ago, I have zero sex drive anyway, so I guess I subconsciously have already chosen to be thin over having enjoyable sex. :(

jitterfish
02-27-2011, 02:58 AM
A cellphone, sure. Sex, nope not a chance. A promotion, no way.

sept15lija
02-28-2011, 10:02 AM
Not in a million years. I could never trade sex for being thin. I'd rather stay fat and have orgasms.

ummm, couldn't we still have orgasms?? ;) :devil:

As for me, nope, not worth it!!!! :D

southernbelle102
03-03-2011, 07:52 PM
We can still have orgasms without having "sex" :D

4star
03-04-2011, 10:37 AM

Sure, I guess. The best ones aren't the do-it-yourself kind for me but to each their own, definitely! :D

reptogirl
03-11-2011, 12:18 PM
i would give up sex...been years anyway..sure take it away from me....

now i would not give up my cell phone for 20 pounds...what is 20 pounds when you are 319!!!!! hmmm....that 20 would put me at 299 though.......nope still wouldn't do it...i would for say 75-100 pounds! heck yeah!!!!!!

the same for tv, computer, ipod or whatever....not for 20, probably for 50, for sure for 100

edit--i should read all the responses before responding, so i don't keep repeating what other people have already said. very guilty

chickadee32
04-04-2011, 01:57 AM

Oddly, I thought about this the other day... if I had to give up orgasms in order to lose weight I would never lose a pound.

TV, cell phone - yes, I'd give those up to lose weight a little faster. A promotion? Not for 10 lbs, but to magically arrive at my goal weight? Maybe. Sex and/or orgasms? Not.a.chance.

XLMuffnTop
04-05-2011, 11:44 AM
Being skinny or fat doesn't affect my relationship with my husband. Not having sex does. It's a critical part of our intimate relationship that I can't and don't want to do without. It's not just the orgasm, it's the physical actions that are shared with one person and makes that relationship set apart from all others.

Therefore, even if giving up sex put me at goal with a guarantee to never regain a pound, I would most definitely decline the offer.

Theyda
04-13-2011, 06:15 AM
I could never give up sex for weight loss, TV definitely but it would have to be 20lbs that would never return. Other than that I'd have to keep everything, I like my soaks in the bath, my phone, being lazy on the weekends. Take the TV but leave me my sex!!:D

brooksider09
05-11-2011, 07:36 AM
I couldn't do it!

First of all, I just like sex too much. Plain and simple.

Secondly (and not to get all personal on y'all), but I feel good about my body when I'm having sex. My boyfriend is a great guy who has always said he loves me - no matter what size I'm at. I wouldn't give that intimacy up for anything...

NewGirl24
05-23-2011, 11:11 AM
I refuse to give up anything to lose the weight, except for overeating.

Everything in moderation!

shrinkingflower
05-26-2011, 02:25 AM
Honestly, I'd give up sex for a good deal of weightloss... not 10 or 20 lbs though...

krampus
05-26-2011, 11:42 PM
I would give up sex for a summer if it meant losing 10-20 lbs permanently, but not for a year or the rest of my life.

CardboardCutoutCat
05-27-2011, 07:30 AM
Sex? Hells no... I think about sex more than I think about food! Definitely couldn't give it up for any amount of time. Plus to reiterate what others have said, it's great exercise and good for you :)

IsabellaOlivia
06-07-2011, 05:13 PM
I'd easily give up sex for one summer to magically drop 20 pounds. However, I don't have a boyfriend, so I wouldn't really be missing out...:P