Old 08-12-2010, 09:57 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #39

Good morning ladies! I would like to say it is cooling off, but that just isn't true so we are in for another major hot day. It was 102 at 4 pm yesterday and it really got the house heated up, mainly upstairs. It did cool down, but not til after bedtime. I am just glad we have all the extra fans that circulate the ac air.

Jean: I had to chuckle at going to kfc for slaw. Actually, they make a good cole slaw, but I really like the vinegar base and it is a lot more WW friendly that's for sure. How close is all that flooding to you? I didn't read the articles just saw the people in boats. Where is Bob going fishing he needs a passport, Canada??? You know they have those passcards now as long as you aren't doing international travel. In other words, if you are going to Canada, Mexico, Central or South America you can use the passcard. They are like an ID card and cheaper than a passport, but people who travel a lot overseas have to have a passport. We looked into it when looking at cruises.

Maggie: Thanks for the slaw recipes. I cut and pasted them into a word document and saved them in my recipe folder. I really wanted the recipe that Susan posted but thanks for the others too. I adore ham and love the spiral sliced ones. Does it do well being frozen after being removed in pieces? Do you put anthing between it or wrap it in anything when you freeze yours? I love navy bean soup make with hambone, but Jack won't eat any kind of soup beans but pinto and he has to have them the southwest way made with sugar in them...UGH!

Susan: Thanks for the slaw recipe. It is the exact one except my mom didn't put in mustard seed. I appreciate you finding it for me. I can now have cole slaw without all the calories. When you get to maintenance don't you have to play with points until you find the right amount that keeps you from losing more or gaining more? Since I have a longggggg time before that happens it is not something I am concerned about at the moment, but I think Jack was talking about his point total each day and how to manage it.

Well, I got my package from Land's End yesterday. The beach towels are huge as is the beach bag so that was great but the shoes have to go back. The material the open weave is made from rubs my toes and I know with water on them it will cause blisters so back they go. They weren't very expensive as they were on clearance so I won't get a whole lot back after they subtract the return shipping cost. My flip flops are supposed to be here today and they shipped my clothing and it should be here on Tuesday. That is what I am excited to see, the swimsuit and see how it fits.

I better get up and going. Had a rough sleep night and went back to sleep this morning after Jack got up so I need to get chores and work done before it gets too hot to manage it. Have a good Thursday! Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 01:58 PM   #2  
Thin Within

Talking Thankful Thrusday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

Gonna be a warm one again here in the Heartland. After all it is called Summer. I am so thankful that the air is working in this house. It isn't working so good in the church building so Will called the "guy" to come take a look see. I just finished up making the church bulletin and getting it all ready to run some copies. He is out at the business store looking at copiers, as I type, for the one at the church has decided to quit. It is old and in need of replacement. Pot luck is Sunday and I think I will need to decide what to take and get a list made up so I will have everything I will need come Saturday when I put whatever it is I will be taking together. I will put on my thinking cap this day and decide what it will be that I take.

DONNA FAYE Aren't fans wonderful. What ever did those folks do before electricity? No fans even. I think they must have sweat a lot. Or migrate to the high country where it is cooler during the summer months. I remember when I was a child we spent many summers up where the big trees grow even though we did have fans and such then. The moms would take the kids up and the dads would come up on weekends. We had such fun. About freezing ham ~ I just put a couple portion sizes in zip lock bags and freeze them. I don't put anything in between the slices. It always comes out fine that way for us. I love having some ham in the freezer. I thaw some out and stud it with cloves and place a ring or two of pineapple on it and bake it and it tastes like a newly baked ham. Just the two of us buying one and tearing it apart and freezing it works the best for us. There are so many recipes I can use some in. Sorry your water sandals didn't work out for you. Maybe you can find a different style that will work. I have a pair called "life outdoors" and have nice adjustable straps that work with my brace even. I also have a pair of tennis shoes that work great in water.

All y'all have a wonderful day. Be back later.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:28 PM   #3  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's another hot and very humid day in my corner of the world. This morning the windows all had steam (?) moisture on the outside. Last night the car did the same thing only on the inside. Weird! I just finished some laundry and need to go pick up a few things for Bob to take fishing. As of right now it is just he and Jason going. I hope they catch fish since they're paying double.

Maggie -- I'm sure you will miss having your guest downstairs, but it is nice that he can return on Sundays. Thank you for sharing the recipes; one of these days I may just learn to like cooking and messing in the kitchen. I love ham! Freezing small portions is a good idea. Would you send me a copy of your bulletin again? I trashed the last one and want to have the little box message to show the computer guy when I call him to ask why it won't work.

Susan -- Thank you for sharing your recipe too! I guess I forget about "filling foods" -- some days I feel like a rabbit! I'm glad you are getting more to eat than I thought!

"Gma" -- We are 2 1/2 hours northwest of the ISU campus flooding. The pictures were on the Today Show this morning. We didn't get home from the game until midnight last night, so missed both the 6 and 10 news broadcasts. Bob's 93 year old aunt lives there, but I don't think she is close to the river. I'm sorry you have to send the shoes back. That is always a hassle. Do you have a Sears store near you? I returned a Lands End jacket there last winter and they didn't charge me return shipping. The clerk said they would put it on a rack in the store. On one of the Canada fishing trips, before passports, the guys were told at the border they would need passports the next year. I don't remember if it is coming or going, but they are checked, as well as their vehicle registration, insurance, etc. Maybe it makes a difference where one crosses. We walked across the border to Mexico many years ago when we were in AZ visiting relatives. I have NO desire to go back there!

I need to double check my list and get going. I hate to even go outside it's so humid and icky. Have a great rest of the day and evening!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 08-12-2010 at 02:28 PM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:40 PM   #4  

Good evening, ladies! Same as you for weather. We also have a red alert on air quality because the ozone is too high so I am staying in.

I worked today and then went to the Y and walked on the treadmill for 45 minutes and did the recumbent bike for 15 minutes. Tomorrow I have quilt guild in the morning, lunch with the ladies, and then I'll go and do my strength training workout.

Faye, I hope you find some suitable water shoes. I like to freeze ham, too. I've found that if I wrap the serving in Press 'N Seal for the Freezer and then put them in a freeze bag it works well. They don't get freezer burn. When you reach goal weight, you add back 4 points. If you lose the next week, add 2 more. If you gain, cut back 2. Keep doing this until you find the right level. Be sure you remember about those WPAs if you are going to use them. There should be information on WW since you are an online member.

Jean, stay cool! Are you working at the gift shop this week?

Maggie, I having ham steak, sweet potato fries, green and wax beans and a sliced tomato for supper. I love ham! Did Will get his copier?

Have a great evening!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 01:01 AM   #5  
Thin Within

Talking Back later

GOOD LATE NIGHT MAGNOLIAS

It is in the high 70's here and we are having a spat of rain and lots of thunder. I have a question from y'all ~ Do any of you ~ or have any of you been to Curves? If so do you think I could use their equipment with this foot that I use a brace on?

JEAN Resent that bulletin. Hopefully your teck guy can figure out what you need to do to open it.

SUSAN You are doing so well with your exercise.

Going to get some shut eye now. Nighters.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:47 AM   #6  

Good Morning, Flowers! I've been awake since 4 because Bob left for Canada shortly after. I finally gave up trying to go back to sleep and got up around 5; seems like it should be noon! The weatherman has promised cooler temps and lower humidity later today -- I'm ready. I need to work in our bedroom while Bob is gone; found some clothes that I haven't worn for a very, very long time, and they are going out the door!

Susan -- It sounds like your Y exercise is going well. Do you have a specific amount of time to do each thing and/or different routine for different days? I am filling in at the gift shop on Tuesday afternoon. My 'assigned' time is the first Saturday morning of the month. I may request a weekday morning or afternoon if the Sat. business fizzles. I just don't think most people will realize it is open, but time will tell.

Maggie -- We have a Curves here but I've never gone. It is right downtown and the parking is terrible because there is a Mexican bar/restaurant in the same block. I'm pretty sure that Susan went to Curves so she would know about the machines. I did get the bulletin -- still can't open it but will call today.

I need to write a couple of greeting notes and vacuum to get my day going. Hope you all have a fantastic Friday!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 08-13-2010 at 09:48 AM.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:50 PM   #7  

Good afternoon, ladies! Cooler (88) and humid. We had a little rain this morning.

I went to guild meeting this morning and then lunched with the ladies. I had a small Italian salad and half a small turkey sub so not too bad. Then I came home and got changed and went to the Y. Today was strength training.

Maggie, I went to Curves for a little more than 3 years. Here's their website and you can see the video of the machines being demoed and decide if you can do it. I want to caution you these are not certified instructors. I had a very good time there and it really has made me love exercise. They also have free weight loss classes similar to south beach diet. You did have to buy the book for $10. I did learn from those as well. Being a franchised operation, the quality varies. I was happy because the founders of Curves are Christians, as you can see from their website, and do things for charities. http://www.curves.com/the-workout/

Jean, my trainer set up sets of exercises for me to do and they have an assigned number of reps and machine settings for me. I do the strength training Monday - Wednesday - Friday as well as the senior water aerobics class and seniorcise. On Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday and walk on the treadmill, do the recumbant bike, and the hand bike for Cardio. I'm enjoying it.We get points for doing the various machines and then can get prizes based on the points. Something to keep us going.

I am ready to sit down and read a bit before thinking about supper. I'm not hungry so it's going to be something light.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:10 AM   #8  

Good morning girls! Bummer, I guess I forgot to post yesterday. Jack took a sick day to get blood work done and Fortune went to the groomers at 7:30 am so I guess I just forgot! lol

We are doing the downstairs carpet shampooing early this morning around 7. I hope it isn't too noisy for the neighbors, but to do it much later is really hot especially in the front room where the fans are absent. We could move them in there, but the less moving around of stuff the less you get hot. We will just try and hurry and get them done.

Maggie: The water shoes I ordered look like tennis shoes except they have rubber toes and soles but netting type stuff instead of canvas or leather uppers. The problem is when I put them on, the netting rubbed my little toes and I thought with water on them it might be worse. Since I couldn't put them in water and walk around I just sent them back. It's ok, I just don't like going into a lake or ocean barefoot anymore. Gives me the creepies not knowing what I am walking on. Thanks for your ham info. We used to get spiral hams for Christmas and when I would take it apart and freeze it, it would curl up and then when defrosted would be like jerky instead of ham so I just wondered what you did.

Susan: We are thinking of rejoining ymca but not right now. Thanks for your ham tip too. We usually just buy ham steaks and use them, but I do love full ham shoulders cooked. We are having a WW recipe with pork tenderloin on skewers for the grill today that is marinated in pineapple juice, cloves, ginger etc then skewered with fresh pineapple and grilled. I am going to fix it with rice. Did you see that Uncle Ben's now has a whole grain "white" rice? I might give it a shot since Jack won't eat brown rice. I could get some whole grains into him maybe that way. I would have to look at the box before I would commit to it to make sure it would be a healthier substitute as you know what the wheat "white" bread thing is like.

Jean: Hope Bob has a nice time on his fishing trip. Ok, Jack straightened me out on the passcard, passport deal as I guess I misunderstood. You can use the passcard if you drive out of the US into another country or if you are on a cruise, but if you fly out, you have to have a passport. That is weird about your windows. I wonder if you have one that isn't sealed properly? We have had several Curves here in town and every one of them is next to a fat laden restaurant either, Chinese, or Mexican or stuff like that. I imagine it is because most of them seem to go into those little strip malls around town and they always seem to have the Chinese or Mexican restaurants.

I got my flip flops from LL Bean and they are so cute and comfortable. With the built up sole, they are more like a thong sandal so have more support and the cute canvas strap is comfortable too. I wore the pieces of candy ones yesterday and am saving the aqua ones with the navy whales for PCB next month. Jack says they are cute enough to wear without taking any other shoes, but we are doing that dinner cruise and I don't think I want to wear those to dinner. I will take other sandals for that. I figure he just wants me to tone down the number of shoes I take!

Well I need to do some cleaning prep work before he shampoos in there so better get to it. Faye
Old 08-14-2010, 11:14 AM   #9  

Good Morning, Flowers! I am really being lazy this morning! I slept later and am not even dressed yet. So far it feels like less humidity and cooler -- I hope it lasts. I do need to go to the grocery store -- thought I had enough lettuce for a couple salads but it's turning brown. With the sun shining in the windows the dust and fur sure shows, so need to dust and vacuum . . . maybe.

Susan -- I sure wish we had a Y here. Your exercise enthusiasm motivates me to get going again. I hope you have a cooler weekend.

"Gma" -- Bob thought the window and door moisture was from being hot and humid outside. It only happened that one time so I hope nothing is letting extra air inside. It seems like there is always something to fix or replace when you own a house. You and Jack are ambitious to shampoo carpet in hot humid weather. I hope it dries quickly. I'm glad you like your LLB flip flops. I wish I could wear sandals all year 'round.

Maggie -- What are you up to today?

I do need to get dressed and accomplish something this morning. Hope you all have a GREAT weekend!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 08-14-2010, 01:11 PM   #10  
Thin Within

Talking Lazy Saturday

GOOD LATE MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is fixin' to be another hot one today here in the heartland. We had nice thunder and a gulley washer last evening which means we don't have to water the lawn this day. I have decided what to make for pot-luck and have all the ingredients and will put them in the crock pot in the morning and plug it in at the church or here if Will wants to walk back and get it. Up to him. Probably here for there aren't manu plug ins in that kitchen. Don't know what they were thinking when they built that building for they should have put lots of plug ins in the kitchen. I would have liked more in this kitchen in this house also. Probably when these buildings were built there wren't nearly as many appliances on the market back then. I have decided to make french toast for brunch this day with a fruit salad.

DONNA FAYE I do have a pair of water walker sandals that are made by Moran I believe. They have straps that buckle because velcro would pick up sand. I prefer my tennis shoes though because of my brace. I love BBQed pork tenderloin. Your meal sounds delicious.

JEAN Those little single serving bags for salad are so neat. I am sure glad they package them because Will isn't much of a salad eater and I am so I just open a fresh little bag for me. I like to dump a small can of water packed tuna on one of those servings of salad and it sure makes a good lunch.

SUSAN Thanks so much for that web site for Curves. I decided I can do that with this brace. However, I do believe I need to build up some stamina and had better rev up my indoor walking program and weight training before I go there and do that half hour of steady exercise. I do plan on going there though. Yep that is the plan.

It is time now to go start brunch. Have a wonderful weekend Magnolias Type at y'all later.

Old 08-14-2010, 02:47 PM   #11  

Good afternoon, ladies! It's only 80 degrees and the humidity is down so I have the AC off and the windows open.

I was going to the Y to walk on the treadmill but I think I'll do my walk along the walking trail in our development. Saturday is busy at the Y.

I went to WW this morning and was down 1.2 so I have finally gotten lower than 158. I'm more determined than ever to have a good week this week.

After WW I went to Krogers. They had the little baby watermelons about the size of a honey dew melon for $1.50 so into my cart it went.

Maggie, I wish they had individual bags of salad around here. I've not seen them in any store I shop at. You might go to Curves and ask them if you could try the machines. You might find you have enough staminia already. You spend 30 seconds on each machine and then recover for 30 seconds on the boards by walking.

Jean, when I exercise, I have more energy, sleep better, and feel really good about myself, and have less problem staying OP. Maybe I should make that my mantra.

Faye, I wondered where you were yesterday. You can go on the internet and see what is offered at your local Y. You'd love the pool. They have half of it set aside for lap swimmers with the divisions for lanes and all. How many purses are you taking? I know you love them too.

I need to get busy and do some vacuuming and dusting. Have a good day!
Old 08-15-2010, 09:09 AM   #12  

Good morning to you all! I think it was the hottest day so far yesterday. The house even with the ac and the fans got up to 86 degrees yesterday. Poor Jack started at 6:45 to do the rug in the dining room and was dripping sweat by the time he was done. It is a huge room and only has one ac register, which is ricidulous. It also has no lighting in there so we had to drag a lamp in there so he could see better. I was jealous of Susan when I saw she had 80 degree temps yesterday. That would have been delightful yesterday.

Susan: I got a chuckle about the purses. Since I am going only for 4-5 days I will only take one, but when I go to Las Vegas I always take at least two. Since the next time we are going we are driving......whoopeeeee!

Maggie: I too like the little individual bags of salad. The commissary has them sometimes and not sometimes. I am just enjoying all the fresh fruit over the summer. It has been a really good summer here as the fresh stuff is really yummy this year.

Jean: I had a dream about you last night. Jack, Fortune and I were in the car and pulled up to a stop sign at a T road. Across the street parked along the shoulder was a car and I saw it was you in it! It was near a school so I obviously thought you were still at school! I got all excited about seeing you in person and turned the car to park along the shoulder of the road and drove into someone's vegetable patch and the car sunk! lololololol

Jack has lost big time this week. He has done really well and I have done well too, but not lost like he did. I think part of it is still having on and off stuff with the swelling and it is totally heat related. I still have a loss this week though tomorrow is my official weigh day so I will let you know tomorrow.

I need to get some breakfast so I need to get out of here. I have to get the bathrooms cleaned upstairs and it is already over 80 according to the thermostat so it will be hot. Have a good one all. Faye
Old 08-15-2010, 01:04 PM   #13  

Good Morning, Flowers! The humidity is WAY down and the temperature was 60 degrees this morning. It's a beautiful day in my neighborhood! I went to church by myself; sat a row behind where we usually sit and with a widowed lady who is such a neat gal. She was so excited that Bob wasn't with me; she thought his group was singing. Since I never made it to the grocery store yesterday, I stopped on my way home. It was freezing in some aisles while others felt like there was warm air coming from the vents. Weird!

Maggie -- What did you end up making for your pot luck today? Whatever it is I'm sure it is delicious! I don't think there are ever enough plug ins in a room or some at just the right height. I wish I had more bedroom plug ins. I can't get the single salad servings, just the bags that are even too much for the two of us. Bob is good about salads and I should just make them from scratch to begin with.

Susan -- My windows are open too! on being 1.2#s lighter! You go girl! I looked at raspberries this morning and they wanted $3.98 for a teeny tiny box. I passed. They didn't even look that good.

"Gma" -- to both you and Jack for losing this week! It's not fair that men seem to lose so much more and easier than we do. I had to chuckle at your dream! Being back in school would be a real downer.

Guess I will fix my lunch -- a WW Smart One with a salad, I think. I hope you all enjoy a nice day whatever you are doing.

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 08-15-2010 at 01:06 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:23 PM   #14  

Good afternoon, ladies! Another pleasant day. It's 84 right now (2 pm). The weather man said the low 90s today, but I don't think so. Good, I'll be taking another walk.

Signups for bible study began today at church. We're doing the book of Acts this year. Of course I signed up. I do enjoy the study a lot. They are also having a 20-week study on the history of the Catholic church, what was going on in the world, who the important people and Popes were, etc. but it is Tuesday morning. The instructor let me purchase the materials even though I can't attend class. I'm really interested in history and this will give me a different slant on things.

I'm making barbecued pork loin for dinner with corn on the cob, green beans and coleslaw.

Faye, you poor thing with the heat and poor AC! Congratulations to you and Jack for having a good week. I eat so much fruit in the summer because it's all been really good.

Jean, I won't pay that much for raspberries or blackberries, either. Kroger has raspberries on sale of $2.50 this week so if they look good I'll treat myself to one box. I only buy them on sale or I get them frozen at Trader Joe's for $2.29 a bag.

Hi, Maggie!

I'm off to quilt so have a great day!
Old 08-15-2010, 03:50 PM   #15  
Thin Within

Talking Sunny Sunday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is a lovely day here in the Heartland. During services we got a gulley washer and it quit when church was over and time for me to come home and pick up the crock pot. I ate too much! It as all so good but I stayed away from the dessert table.

DONNA FAYE horrah for yours and Jack's losses. Men always lose faster for that is they way they are made. I felt so sorry for Jack for doing that work in the heat and dripping.

JEAN I made a fruit and coctail weenie mix in the crock pot which was a big hit and I didn't have to bring any home. Easy and yummy and if you want the recipe I would be glad to type it out for you.

SUSAN The history of the church we belong to can be found in the Bible. I have read some of the history of the Catholic church and there are quite intersting happenings that went on in its early years.

Everyone have a lovely afternoon ~ evening.