30-Somethings - Week Of October 13!!!

View Full Version : Week Of October 13!!!

RoadRunner
10-13-2002, 10:53 AM
Good Morning!!!!I have been piddling all morning doing nothing!!!
Felt nice to sleep in and kiss all over my DH which is rare anymore!!Almost scared to check my sugar now!!!! :devil:

Have a great day all!!!!
RR

Juldiet
10-13-2002, 06:36 PM
My friend Marilyn died after midnight last night.
- jul

KarenK
10-13-2002, 06:52 PM
Hi all. We took a spontaneous trip to Atlantic City last night. Ate dinner and played a couple hours then came home. We didn't get here until 2:30 so I slept late today :D. It was fun.

RR: Sure hope that sugar was OK. :)

Jul: I'm so sorry about your friend. You will be in my prayers.

Gonna go keep DH company now. Have a good evening all.

Rabbit
10-13-2002, 07:24 PM
hi all. :flow1:

I'm back from parent's weekend at ds' college. Had a great time. :D

And now I'm not going to Orlando to open the store for the next week. They don't need me so I'm staying home. woohoo! :cool:

I'll read the posts to get caught up.

Rabbit :flow2:

LBH
10-13-2002, 07:29 PM
Hi All,

Jul- I'm soo sorry. :cry: My thoughts are with you all.

Just a quick check in...

Rabbit
10-13-2002, 07:33 PM
me again. :dizzy:
Sunshine ~ WELCOME! :wave:

Karen - wow! What nice words of support you gave me! thanks. :) ~ Glad your project is about done.

Lauren - ds loves pumpkin pie. I am not a good crust maker - need to learn for him. :D

Rr - so nice you had a chance to sleep in. :dz:

Jul - I am so sorry about your friend.

Rabbit

Greekgirl
10-14-2002, 04:22 AM
ust a quick monday check in!

Jul, that's :censored: I will pray too.

Rabbit, lucky you!

this is the week I'm going to hear if we're going on or not at work, in the meantime: desperately seeking Greek! It really :(
This past weekend we had elections (not national, county and city). I thought I would not have to go and that it wasn't obligatory. But it was, oops! Lucky me (ahem), there's still a second round Next Sunday. Y'all have NO idea how much I'm looking forward to it...

Saturday this friend came over. I cooked for once. That is, I called grandma and then started. I cooked: potatoes in lemon sauce with feta cheese. Egg plant salad, egg plant (different sort) stewed, 2 salads, and turkey fillets pane! Good bottom for what was coming next... My friend is a former Dutch National Ballet dancer and now a choreographer. And extremely gay. And he came armed with a bottle of wodka. :devil: He's very funny (and a :devil:) so it was a scream. Also because he started to tease you-know who BF a tiny bit verbally, who is definitely a bit homophobic although generally he behaves well. Do I need to say more? I had fun at least...albeit of the evil kind at this point. Thank god I didn't have to drive as I was home already. The bottle went into the trash (empty). Must stress I am not a drunk, we had a lot of people in cour company, but still...
Sunday: NO hangover. You-know-who cooked us dinner, Serbian Bean soup. Yummy! Grandma complained afterwards when I went to visit her though: I think I smell even now of garlick (can you smell me?). Lucky me, this is a county for garlick lovers and most of the time, unless you've eaten someting really evil on garlick, nobody notices any more (like potatoe-garlick sauce: take 1 lb potato mash, add at least 4 crushed garlick thingies, add some olive oil, and lemon juice, salt, let stand at least 2 hrs in the fridge (no pepper, this is fiery by itself). Eat with meat or fish. Boys and Girls, don't do this on a weekday, it might be dangerous for your social life!).

That reminds me: I promised someone the recipe for spinach 'n beans (or rice) my gran makes, so here goes: for 2 persons: fry a chopped onion in some (2 tbs) olive oil, add: dill, parsley, (fresh if possible), salt, pepper, and 1 pound of spinach, washed. Let shrink. Add 1 teacup of rice (not parboiled) or 2 of ready boiled plain beans (garbanzo, white beans) and 1/2 cup water. Let boil slowly until rice ready (about 20 min) or beans.
AND maybe you could add some garlick (crushed)
Should be mushy and have some juices. Sprinkle with lemon juice, eat as a snack or with some meat. Calories about 300 max for recipe as stands per person.

Welcome to our new girl. See you around!:)

Fragrantly yours,

Vassiliki

P.S. Did I ever mention we never have vampire sightings in this country, although Romania (Dracula's homebase) is almost next door? Wonder why...

RoadRunner
10-14-2002, 04:55 AM
GG-Must be the garlic!!!!!:lol:

Jul-I am soo sorry for your friends family...You will all be in my prayers...
RR

lizzard_h
10-14-2002, 08:00 AM
Hi everyone,
Well I don't know what I've gotten myself into. I signed up for two 5K runs. One is Oct 25th and the other is Oct 29th (four days apart!!). I thought I was in great shape for it cuz I can do it on the treadmill without too much problems (with a/c, ceiling fan, and my favorite tunes to listen to). Last night I tried running outside in the harsh real world and just about killed myself. I woke up this morning at 2 am with a blazing headache and had myself convinced I was having an aneurism. Obviously I'm okay now and headache is gone. I'm gonna have to really train the next two weeks.

Besides that I'm meeting with the PT again this week to change up my workout. She's gonna completely switch it up and have me do 2-8 min of hard cardio between each set of weights (five times). I'm gonna be running all over the gym. :lol: :dizzy:

Jul, I am really sorry about your friend.

GG, I loved your story about the friend hitting on X-BF. Too funny!!! It sounds like you had a wild night (especially if the bottle was empty). I love garlic too but I hate the way I smell afterwards. They say it's a good cancer fighter. If so, I shouldn't have any problems. Good luck with your work!

Rabbit, welcome back...sorry I've been mia but I have been lurking. So where is this store in Orlando? What's the name of it? I'll have to go check it out.

Welcome to all the newcomers!!! This is a great place for support. I'm down 15 lbs and have 25 more to go.

Have a good week everyone!
Liz

BaileySG
10-14-2002, 08:49 AM
Well Hello there all - Remember me?

Sorry for the long period of absence. Just pluggin along here trying to get myself in order. Been quite busy - in the interest of not going completely under during my little phase of part-time employment, we have moved. You may remember, we were looking to buy but there is so much talk about the housing bubble in Boston bursting PLUS I lost my job... so....

We actually got a great deal on a place. It is small, but in a great location right on the train. Had no $ for the move so literally did the whole thing on our backs using our 2 cars to transport things back and forth (friend with truck helped with the 3 big items). Actually very happy with the new digs, the new location and the cheaper rent!

Unfortunately, though - WE HAVE NO SPACE! My little wings are fluttering as fast as they can, but there are still 2 boxes with no homes. Not too bad actually, considering we literally now have about 500 SF for myself, the BF and the beast. Best part - the BF's mom came out to visit (planned well in advance) about 1 week after we moved! She had the bed, BF had the couch and I got the dog bed (In his defense, had business trips the last week in Aug and the first week in Sept. He wanted to wait to move until at least November. During his 1st business trip, I found the place. We moved during his 5 days in town, then his mom arrived 2 days after his 2nd trip. I deserved the dog bed:)) Dog was not happy. Anyway - it was really great to see her.

Still actually closing out the old job (3 days a week until the end of the month) plus doing the part-time teaching. Now I just need to get letters out to find a full-time gig.

Major problem? The size of my butt! As you may recall (most likely not) I was down to just in between an 8 and 10 (with a rare 6 fitting on occasion). Well.....No more my friend! It is not too bad, I am still in the 10's - but its not always that comfy. More importantly, however, I just don't FEEL as well as I was feeling. Have gotten no exercise and have had almost every meal out for WEEKS. Looking pasty, have no energy, etc.

So - This weekend we got the kitchen in order and yesterday I grocery shopped. After my Diet Dr. Pepper breakfast, it is right back on track.

Hope you don't mind if I stop back in from time to time?

Will try to get caught up - For now...

Jul - so sorry to hear of your loss. You are in my thoughts.

Liz - YOU CAN DO IT!!! Just visualize yourself right back in that gym with the AC, ceiling fan, tunes, and some really HOT hunks just up ahead - You will finish that race! LOL

LBH and RR - Hope all is well! my sister is due NOV 8th - we are all so excited!

Rabbit - Can I rejoin your journal?

Sorry to everyone else - I will catch up when I can.

LBH
10-14-2002, 12:46 PM
Hi All,

Bailey!!- Welcome Back Stranger!! Good to see you!! Sorry about the job, but glad you were able to find a more affordable solution to get you through. 500 sf?! You poor thing!!

Liz- Two 5K's?! You must've been feeling really motivated that day, huh?! :lol: Good luck to you, hope it gets cool for those two days.

GG- :lol: at the x-bf/friend situation!! That must've been pretty funny. Both those recipes sound really good, and healthy too, I think I will have to try them!

Have a great day all!!

lizzard_h
10-14-2002, 12:49 PM
:jig: :cb: :cp:

Howdy Bailey!!!! :wave: Welcome back. It sounds like you've been one busy camper. It's great to hear from you again. As you can see I'm still here but I haven't lost anything since you left us. Of course, it's all your fault ya know!! :lol:

Rabbit
10-14-2002, 04:03 PM
hello. :flow1:

I'm thinking a lot about the choices I'm making - now to do more about it than just think! :chin:

Actually I am doing more. I have changed my workout. I'm doing 20 minutes on the bike instead of 15, I'm doing 15 minutes of weights instead of 10 and am doing 3 reps of my exercises. Now If I can quit bringing things into the house I shouldn't . . .:dizzy:

Although I did throw away the cashews today (what was left of them). I don't need those!

Greek - good luck on the work situation.:)

Liz - wow - you must have been feeling motivated! Hooray for you and good luck. ~ The mall has it's grand opening this coming Friday. It is called the Mall of the Millenia. The store is called Dry Ice. Do you live near there?
BAILEY! :wave: Great to hear from you! Stick around girl and welcome back to the journal also.

Gotta run. Rabbit :dancer:

LA Hopeful
10-14-2002, 05:06 PM
hi all

nothing new with me, which is why i haven't posted much. i think i'm about to give up on the house hunt and just stay with my parents for as long as i can stand it. :)

rabbit -- good luck with the new plan! i find if i don't bring stuff into the house i don't even really crave it. if i'm REALLY craving it enough to actually go out and get it, then i must want it pretty badly :)

bailey -- wow 500sf. i think my storage unit is like 300sf and that's with everything piled in there front-to-back. i definitely couldn't fit in that little space. good luck with the new digs and the job hunt!

liz -- good luck with the PT and the 5Ks!

jul -- i'm very sorry about your friend :(

karen -- glad you had fun in atlantic city! i'm itching for a trip to vegas. i might go to tahoe with some friends in february but that seems so far away...

hi to everybody else, and i hope you all have a great week!

RoadRunner
10-14-2002, 06:26 PM
Bailey--WElcome back!!!!

Hello all!!--Having a hormonal emotional funk mood now and may pop in now and then....:(
RR

KarenK
10-15-2002, 04:21 PM
Hi all. Having a so-so day here. I'm tired of being off work. It's no fun hanging out by yourself. I can't do what I want for the baby's room 'cause of the restrictions. I have thinned out DH's clothes some. I need him to go through the winter stuff and suits. I have NO idea how I'm going to squeeze two closets into one. They are so small. Oh well, I'm sure I will figure something out.

Bailey: Welcome back. Sorry to hear that things have been going so badly for you. Had to sleep on the dog bed? Whew, you are brave.

OK, gonna go make dinner before school. Have a great evening.

Rabbit
10-15-2002, 09:43 PM
Sorry to desert you all but I've been called out of town for a family problem. Will check in as I can.

Rabbit

Juldiet
10-16-2002, 12:32 AM
Tonight was Marilyns memorial service. It was really nice - a great slide show/video show of her life. Lots of great music and people talking. She was one of those rare people that thought only of everyone else - never herself. She affected so many. The church was filled with balloons...and food. Probably 600 or so people.

We took the boys out yesterday for their first tennis lesson. All said and done it wasn't too bad considering I really hit Weston hard in the head . Then he hit Alex and then I bounced a ball off the top of Weston's head. Even after all that they asked to go again. I used to play alot until Weston and Alex came along. Its nice to have them at a age where they can start learning the sport.

Rabbit: hope everything is o.k. for your family.

Bailey: welcome back.

- jul

LBH
10-16-2002, 07:38 AM
Hi All,

Jul- I've got a headache just thinking about all those tennis balls bouncing off their heads!! :lol: Good thing kids have hard heads!! Sounds like a great service for your friend.

Rabbit- Hope everything's OK!!

Karen- Well, at least you're getting some stuff done. We have tiny closets here too. I use the one in the bedroom and DH uses the one in the baby's room! Thank goodness we won't need that space for the baby's things!

RR- Hope you get out of your emotional funk soon.

Hi to everyone else! Have a great day all!!

angieME
10-16-2002, 08:28 AM
I weighed in today!!!! I lost 6 pounds this week!!!I waited 3 days after I started my diet to weigh myself because I was too scared to see how big I had gotten so i figured all of the bloat weight would have been gone. I am so happy today.
I hope you all are having a great day too.

Rabbit: I hope your family is ok.

LBH
10-16-2002, 12:59 PM
Yeah Angie!!!

lizzard_h
10-16-2002, 01:52 PM
:( I'm having a really tough day today. I got a call from my sis at 5:30 AM telling me my brother-in-law had a heart attack last night. He's only 47. Our parents divorced when I was really young so my sis and BIL have always been like my mom and dad cuz they're 9 & 12 years older than me. I've known him since I was five. Anyway...I feel really helpless and hate that I'm here in FL while she's in MI trying to go thru this without me. To ease my fear, stress and frustration I've been eating non-stop today.

The good news is that she got him to the emergency room in time to get him the meds he needed. He's in stable condition -- awake, alert and very scared. He has tests Thurs and Fri to see what damage has been done and where they need to go from here.

Please include my family in your prayers.
Thank you,
Liz

LBH
10-16-2002, 02:25 PM
Liz, I'm soo sorry to hear about you BIL! I hope all the tests turn out OK. I will keep your family in my prayers. Is there anyway you can get away to go see them?

angieME
10-16-2002, 03:24 PM
Liz,
I am so sorry to hear about your brother in Law.I hope he is okay and you will all be in my prayers.

KarenK
10-16-2002, 04:17 PM
Hi all. Well, it has been an awful weather day here in NJ. I had to take DH's car in for service at 8:30 this morning and I fell asleep waiting on the couch!! I must have slept for 30 minutes!! I found some really cute and cheaper baby furniture at Sears. The crib converts into a day bed, a head/foot board for a double bed OR a head board for a double bed and a loveseat. I like the diversity of it.

Liz: I'm so sorry about your BIL. I hope everything works out well. You will be in my thougts.

Angie: Yahoo on the 6 lbs!! That is awesome.

OK, gonna try to go wake up!! I'm such a slug today. Have a great evening!!

Greekgirl
10-17-2002, 05:00 AM
Hello everyone!

Have not been real fun posting this week because:
1. I was sick and out of office (that was yesterday, just a cold though)
2. I was busy (job hunting and keeping my temper in place D-Ex-BF is trying to get on my nerves to make me jealous, but I've decided this is NOT ging to work. Hope the house comes free SOON)
3. I was reading www.lileks.com, PLEASE go there, the "Gallery of Regrettable foods" is someting else! innoffensive recipes you would NEVER put to your family EVER again! I just had to switch, I was choking with laughter while sitting in front of my screen and pretenting my nose was stuffed...
4. Have been relocated/found another job. TADAAAH!! When everything settles down, I will be able to tell you more (as if you would WANT to hear more, Duh...).
5. Had no car yesterday, still went to the gym (drippy nose 'n all), but it turned out a real tough experience: on foot to gym 20 min, + 1 1/2 hour step class (SOMEBODY got enthousiastic), + 30 min to gran, + another 25 min home. Needless to say I slept like a log (and feel better today, a nice "Sweat it Out" bonus). Unfortunately I set the alarm on 07.00 in stead of 08.00. BUMMER!
6. Still have not been paid, so could not pay the rent (!) Am ashamed to confess my dad sent me some money until I get paid for September (!!!). Will pay him back when I DO get paid (WHEN, oh WHEN????!!!!!!!!)
7. Good news: living comparatively healthy (except for a drink twic a week) makes people comment that I am slimming inches! YES! YES!

Liz, just make sure you train running outside up to 1 week before, then stop and do smt else in stead (walking, aerobics, whatever). This way you will not overload your legs before the races and give them time to adapt. Don't train running in between races either. the one race is enough to make you adapt for the second. Besides, it will hurt anyway. Massage helps! I have also made the mistake once of thinking the treadmill is the same as running outside. Boy, was I wrong! Good on the program!
Am praying for BIL (albeit othodox, but this has a lighted candle included). Hang in there.

Bailey, I have seen you elsewhere here, welcome! 500 sq feet would be about 55 sq metres! Not much, but at least: 1.Cosy 2.Cleanable 3.Cheaper(?). Good you want to get back on track!

Rabbit, I think you are doing well! keep uppping the training when you can! Hope the family matter is better.

LA, If possible, why not stay with your parents for a while, if you can stand them on the whole? Greeks actually LIKE doing it (I'm Netherlands born-'n-bred, so I am kinda used to my freedom) Greeks see it this way: 1.free food 2.free washing 3.free cleaning 4.free alarm system (parents tend to be home nights), 5.company around. Minusses include: 1. "Why do you come back so late/filthy?" 2. "Where have you been?" 3. "You should/ should not...." 4. "Why don't you have a boyfriend/husband?" of course, an answer to this would be: "I do, but he's in prison right now so he can't come over" or "We prefer going to a hotel to sleep together" (you have to know your parents REALLY well to say this with an iron face) "He's with his other wives at the moment". OK OK these might not do the trick, but they at least distract from: "eh...well...eh..." Good luck, I hope you'll find something soon anyway!

Karen, What I do is put real "summer stuff" and shoes into suitcases for the winter and stash them somewhere. I have the same problem...

Jul, I am glad Marylin had a nice service. 600 people is a LOT! Good you are going to play tennis with the boys, good for them AND for you!

Angie, that's really impressive!

Love to all,

GG (Free at last!)

TechAlum
10-17-2002, 03:42 PM
Hello all,

Haven't been posting, but I've been around. Not doing so well on the diet front. Need to kick the butt back into gear. Hopefully soon.

RR - Hope you get out of your funk soon :(

Jule - Sorry to hear about your freind. Too funny about the tennis lessons.

Liz - Good luck on the 5Ks. Sorry about your BIL. Hopefully all will work out well.

Rabbit - Hope everything works out for your family.

Angie - Congrats on the 6 lbs :eek: .

LA - no way I could move back in with the folks, wish you luck.

Greek - hope all works out on the job front for you.

Well gotta go.

- Tech :spin:

KarenK
10-17-2002, 05:59 PM
Hi all. I have been getting ready for my trip to Las Vegas today. We leave at 8 am tomorrow. This is going to be my first trip without DH. He's been away alot on business and with the navy but this is my first time without him since we got married. It feels kind of weird. But I plan on having fun. :D I had to go buy a dress last night. I realized at the last minute that I didn't have anything comfy to wear. I really don't understand, I've lost about 8 lbs since getting pg, but nothing with a waistband is comfortable. Peanut isn't big enough to make much of an impact so I don't know why things are so tight. Oh well. I was just counting..............8 more weeks till the next sonogram!! I guess they will also talk to me next week about the amnio. I'm sorta scared about doing that. That would be done in only 4 more weeks. So. I'm that much closer to finding out Peanuts sex!!

GG: Sure hope things are going better for you today. Hope you find a job soon too!! That can be very scary. I have a four poster bed so I have been buying rubbermaid boxes and storing stuff under the bed. I guess the attic is next but I had to put stuff up there. It gets *so* hot in the summer. I have a beautiful cedar chest that my parents made for me that I am going to have to move to the attic. That really bothers me 'cause I really love it.

Tech: KICK, KICK, KICK!! There, hope that helps. :D I will expect the same after Peanut arrives and I am falling down on the diet!! Hope you get things back on track soon.

I'm at the torture chamber (school) and I just looked out the window. It's almost dark as nighttime and it's only 6:05. They said we had a chance of a light shower tonight. It looks like we are going to get another flood!! My sump pump has not stopped running since last Sunday. I think we must be the drainage point for the whole neighborhood. I was starting to think we had a burst pipe since we are the only house on the block draining. The water pressure is fine so I suppose the pipes are OK. Jeepers, I'm just a motor mouth tonight!! Must be because the teacher isn't here yet and I'm procrastinating getting started on changes I need to make to my project!! I also need to start on my presentation. Ugh! That does not make me happy. OK, gonna hush now. Sorry for the book. Have a geat evening.

lizzard_h
10-18-2002, 08:35 AM
Thank you everyone for your thoughts and prayers. My BIL is going to be okay. All his tests are done and there was no damage to his heart. He's getting out of the hospital on Saturday.

Yesterday I went home early from work cuz my heart was just still feeling heavy from being so upset the day before. I was planning on spending the day in bed but DH surprised me and took a halfday off. We loaded up the puppy and went hiking for an hour and a half. We haven't done that in a very long time if ever. The weather was absolutely beautiful and I couldn't have asked for a more perfect afternoon.

Thanks again!!
Liz

LBH
10-18-2002, 09:46 AM
Hi All,

Liz- Glad to hear BIL is doing better and getting out!

Karen- How long are you going to Vegas for? Is it a girl's week away or something? Did I miss when you mentioned that?! :lol: Did they tell you you have to have an amnio because of risk factors (other than age)? I refused the AFP (Triple Screen), because of all the false positives. They didn't suggest I have an amnio, probably because I'm 34, but I was expecting them to anyway. I would've refused that too. Petey looks great on the U/S, and that's good enough for me! How many weeks are you now? You may just still be bloated, hence the waistbands not working out! Have fun in Vegas!! (oh, duh, you're gone already!!)

Tech- Here's a KICK!!! Now get back on track...you can do it!!

GG- Cool site, but I don't see the recipes!

Gotta get some work done! Have a great day all!!

RoadRunner
10-18-2002, 04:48 PM
Hello all!!!

Karen--I also refused every test and I am the oldest here...DOnt believe in all that stuff!!!My MD never even suggested an amnio and I flat out refused the AFP test...Good luck in what ever U choose....

Lauren--Feeling better..just getting nervous cuz this baby can be here in 6 week!!!!Scared too death about motherhood, breast feeding etc etc..Now having such anxiety about DH going to China cuz of all those mothers after 9/11 that had babies alone..I get a sonagram on Oct 22...soo I will feel better knowing again she is safe and hopefully staying until DH gets back home in Nov!!!!

Take care all!!!Kind of having some weird "sensations" down in that area and must go lie down!!!!!
RR

TechAlum
10-19-2002, 03:16 PM
Hello All,

Been in a real funk lately. I think it's a two fold thing, one I need to get my butt in gear and find a job that pays more, this one wouldn't be bad if they hadn't closed, so we're only getting 2-3 days so I'm seriously broke, I just don't know what I want to do. Anyway, the second is that today is my b-day and we're going to a 3 yo b-day party, I told my sil it was no big deal if she had it on my b-day, but now I'm feeling sorry for myself. Plus the weather is icky and I have a list a mile long of stuff to get done before we have 40-50 people over for my mom's b-day party and I just don't want to do anything. Although I'll be happy when it's done :(.

Anyway sorry to pop in and just vent, but I guess I needed to.

Karen - Hope you're having fun in LV. Your body is probably just rearanging weight in preperation for peanut getting bigger.

RR - Hope you're doing better. I'd say relax, but I know that doesn't help much.

Well, gotta go rap the gift.

Have a great day all!!!

- Tech :(

LBH
10-19-2002, 04:06 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TECH!!!!

:hb: :hat:

RoadRunner
10-19-2002, 07:43 PM
Happy Birthday Tech!!!!!!!! :gift: :hat: :dance: :grouphug: :wizard: :hb:
Hope it turned out fun!!!!!!!!
RR

angieME
10-20-2002, 07:38 AM
HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY TECH!!!!!!! I missed the post yesterday. Is your mom's birthday the same day as yours? Strange but very true...Me, My mom,and my twins are all born on the same day. My mom turned 18 the day I was born and I turned 21 the day my twins(boy and girl) were born.Birthdays are really easy at my house* grin*
I hope you had a great time yesterday.