Metabolic Research Center - Chocolate Protien Drink

View Full Version : Chocolate Protien Drink

MGunz
08-11-2010, 10:07 AM
I am hoping someone out their can help me!

I love the chocolate premade protien drinks from MRC. They taste just like chocolate milk when they are really cold. The only problem i can not afford them, i about freaked when i bought them it was somewhere around $20 for 6.

Does anyone know where i can buy these cheaper!!! Has anyone else tried them?

ghlover
08-11-2010, 10:40 AM
What's MRC? I love the Ensure protein shakes, really cold and most flavors, when I feel a sweet craving coming on I usually grab one and use it as a meal since they are like 250 calories a bottle

Laureedee
08-11-2010, 10:53 AM
Ensure's good but they have quite a bit of sugar; that's the reason I quit drinking them. I like EAS AdvantEdge. It's not quite thick like chocolate milk, when nice and cold it tastes more like the yoohoos used to. But for 110 cals, 2 g dietary fiber, 4 grams carbs and 17 grams protein, I'm quite content with it. They're not super cheap, but $5 for 4 (probably cheaper if you can buy bigger packages) isn't as bad as $20 for 6. Yikes!

taytay
08-11-2010, 12:59 PM
I agree, the EAS Advantage drinks are pretty good and comparable to the centers..sometimes my grocery store has them buy 1 get 1 so I stock up. There is also dietdirect.com but idk how much they are on there.

shannysmomma
08-11-2010, 08:24 PM
I have never used the shakes at MRC. With the prices like that I don't think I would either. Do you drink them instead of having a meal or what? It would be nice to find something I can drink instead of having a meal.

MGunz
08-12-2010, 09:53 AM
They can be used as a meal replacement if you drink two or as a creamy substitue if you drink one. I like to use them when i am running late for work and do not have time to make my lunch. But still am trying to find the other alternative due to pricing. I am starting to wonder if it may be Muscle Milk? I tried the vanilla premade which was awful in my eyes but i compared the packaging and alot of it was the same so i am going to try the milk chocolate one and see if that is comparable.

dkmd27
08-12-2010, 12:41 PM
They can be used as a meal replacement if you drink two or as a creamy substitue if you drink one. I like to use them when i am running late for work and do not have time to make my lunch. But still am trying to find the other alternative due to pricing. I am starting to wonder if it may be Muscle Milk? I tried the vanilla premade which was awful in my eyes but i compared the packaging and alot of it was the same so i am going to try the milk chocolate one and see if that is comparable.

I know some people love muscle milk, but I absolutely HATE it!! And it was recently subject to some bad publicity due to a recall regarding too much of a certain chemical/mineral (don't remember exactly what it was). I'm sure it's been corrected or it wouldn't be on the shelf, but check it out. I drink the Atkins shakes from Sam's (I think they were about $15 for 15 -- maybe 12 containers). If you try them, make sure they're really cold and shake them up.

guinevere75
08-14-2010, 02:03 PM
If doing Metaquick and subbing the Advantage shakes at lunch - do you drink 2 for your lunch meal replacement?

dkmd27
08-15-2010, 11:55 PM
If doing Metaquick and subbing the Advantage shakes at lunch - do you drink 2 for your lunch meal replacement?

Even though they didn't have enough protein as the center recommends, I did use them. But I only used one, and maxed out the HNS's.

guinevere75
08-16-2010, 10:40 AM
Thanks Deb. I'm going to try it starting today.

Does anyone have a MCR ready-made choc shake that they could copy the label details from and post here? I'd like to see the comparison to the EAS Advantedge shakes - I noticed that Atkins makes a version as well called Advantage - I'd like to check out that label next to the MCR one as well.

guinevere75
08-16-2010, 05:39 PM
I found an old post that said the POWDER version of the MCR chocolate shake breaks down like this:
250 calories
3.5g Fat
23g Carbs (seems kinda high, huh??)
2g Fiber
35g Protein

Can anyone verify this? I'd really like to see what the ready-to-drink shakes label looks like - can anyone w/an MCR ready made shake post the label for me?

The EAS AdvantEdge label looks like this:
110 Calories
3g Fat
4g Carb
2g Fiber
17g Protein

So based on that - it looks like I'd need to do 2 EAS shakes as well to match up w/the MCR ones for Metaquick.

dkmd27
08-17-2010, 12:12 AM
I found an old post that said the POWDER version of the MCR chocolate shake breaks down like this:
250 calories
3.5g Fat
2g Fiber
35g Protein

That's why I couldn't use their shakes, the high carb content always hurt me.

I've used a couple different products in addition to the Atkins. Right now I use a product called Walker Diet shake mix. (from vitacost dot com) I've tried all of their flavors and am not too keen on most of them. But I do use the cappucino one and use decaf coffee for the liquid. Each one has 175 calories, 24 g protein, 7 g carbs, 6 g fiber, 6 g fat, and a bunch of vitamins and minerals. I'm sure you can see the label at vitacost.

I also use a produt by Syntrax called Nectar (available on many sites). It's got 90 calories, 23 g protein, 0 g fat, 0 carbs. Right now I'm using Caribbean Cooler. This product is more liquidy, more like a hns.

Trial and error is how you figure out what works.

Pookie31
08-20-2010, 10:39 AM
250 calories
3.5g Fat
2g Fiber
35g Protein

Can anyone verify this? I'd really like to see what the ready-to-drink shakes label looks like - can anyone w/an MCR ready made shake post the label for me?

The EAS AdvantEdge label looks like this:
110 Calories
3g Fat
4g Carb
2g Fiber
17g Protein

So based on that - it looks like I'd need to do 2 EAS shakes as well to match up w/the MCR ones for Metaquick.

Just curious, did you end up trying metaquick with the EAS shakes (2 for breakfast and 2 for lunch)?? I started with these today and was just wondering how it's going for you :)

guinevere75
08-24-2010, 11:36 AM
I did it for 7 days w/the EAS version - I go into to weigh today at the center, but my scale at home has me down 4 lbs for the week - that is my biggest weekly loss, so I think it worked as it is supposed to - and for a lot cheaper! :)

Pookie31
08-24-2010, 12:09 PM
I did it for 7 days w/the EAS version - I go into to weigh today at the center, but my scale at home has me down 4 lbs for the week - that is my biggest weekly loss, so I think it worked as it is supposed to - and for a lot cheaper! :)

That is great! I did it for 4 days with the EAS version as well. I just weighed in this morning and only lost .5 pounds, kind of disappointed but I also started my period yesterday so hoping that is some of it too. Good luck, hope you show a great loss :)

guinevere75
08-24-2010, 12:17 PM
I didn't lose much while actually doing it - the loss showed up the last day and the day after that - :) So don't be down - I bet w/your cycle ending AND the metaquick, you'll show a really nice loss!

guinevere75
08-24-2010, 12:20 PM
Oh Pookie - I just noticed something - you're doing too many shakes. Metaquick is supposed to me a protein bar in the morning, 2 shakes for lunch, and your regular dinner w/you HNS in between all that. You can swap up the protein bar and have it for lunch and the shakes for breakfast, but you probably shouldn't be having 4 shakes per day. I'd be curious to see if that works though! :)

GoalAug2010
08-24-2010, 03:49 PM
Oh Pookie - I just noticed something - you're doing too many shakes. Metaquick is supposed to me a protein bar in the morning, 2 shakes for lunch, and your regular dinner w/you HNS in between all that. You can swap up the protein bar and have it for lunch and the shakes for breakfast, but you probably shouldn't be having 4 shakes per day. I'd be curious to see if that works though! :)

Actually the shakes are the best way to go. MRC metaquick allows you to choose from the following for breakfast + lunch:
- 2 premade shakes
OR
- 1 powder shake
OR
- 1 meal bar (up to 3 times in the week).

If you read the nutrition info on them, you'll notice that the premades have lower carbs and higher protein than the powder shake. The meal bars also have high carbs and low protein, so the most efficient way to do metaquick is 2 premades for breakfast, 2 premades for lunch and then chicken/veggie/starch dinner. (no beef/salmon/etc)

This combination gets me the best results.

Hope that helps!

guinevere75
08-24-2010, 05:25 PM
Thx for that GoalAug - I was worried about Pookie when I saw she was only doing shakes - glad to see that not only does that method work, it might work better! :)

Pookie31
08-24-2010, 07:56 PM
Thank you both ladies! I am looking forward to seeing what my weight loss is next week - after metaquick and my cycle is done.

I have been on the program 6 weeks and experienced a lot of weight loss in the beginning but has dramatically slowed the last 2 1/2 weeks (only lost 3 pounds or so). I know one of those weeks I hit a plateau but hoping this picks up soon, kind of discouraging...trudging along figuring it has to give at some point lol.

bbygrl77
08-24-2010, 10:13 PM
Congratulations Guinevere75 on your weight loss, and reporting your results with EAS shakes. Tomorrow is the first day that I can have a creamy, so I will try it. Also, thanks for telling me about this site. It's great. You sent me a message on facebook last week with advice on supplements. It was very helpful. Also I prefer this site because on facebook I feel like we can't be as honest about the MRC experience.

guinevere75
08-25-2010, 12:23 PM
Hi bbygrl! :) I'm so glad you came in - the ladies here are SO helpful! Everyone wants to encourage you here, and everyone is looking for a way to save a dime and still be successful! :) You'll find lots of support here - how's the program going for you so far? Are you still having to deal w/that awful consultant at your center? Best of luck girl - you can do it. And don't be afraid to ask questions - we all want to help!

bbygrl77
08-25-2010, 03:26 PM
It's been going really well. I'm down 6 pounds after 4 days. The first consultant has been out of town, so I've been seeing another lady who isn't pushy or fake. In general it seems like everyone there is really nice. I'm committed to making this work. I can't believe that i'm not hungry after eating so little food. This experience is not just about the physical for me, but mental as I start to realize how much i've been over eating all these years. What an eye opener.

guinevere75
08-25-2010, 04:07 PM
Great job - yeah, I truly feel that in the last 11 weeks, I've really *learned* how I should be eating. It's not just a diet for me - it's a complete change in how I live going forward. You're doing great w/your starting loss! I'm glad that the other ladies in the center are ladies you can relate too - having a good center and great support are so important! :) Keep at it - you're going to do great if you work the plan!

guinevere75
08-26-2010, 04:34 PM
Just wanted to share w/you all that I just bought a 24 pack of EAS AdvantEdge Carb Control Ready Made Fudge Chocolate Shakes at Sam's Club for $27.99 - that's $1.15/shake!! :) They had French Vanilla too!

bbygrl77
08-26-2010, 06:52 PM
Thanks a lot. I'll buy some this weekend. Such a good change of pace from the clear HNS.

soon2b1hotmama
08-27-2010, 02:27 PM
So are you all using these as a meal replacement or in place of the clear HNS?

bbygrl77
08-27-2010, 02:31 PM
Clear HNS replacement for me.

guinevere75
08-27-2010, 05:57 PM
It is either meal replacement (in which case, you drink 2) or substitute 1 as a creamy.

ladystarrider
08-28-2010, 10:56 AM
Just wanted to share w/you all that I just bought a 24 pack of EAS AdvantEdge Carb Control Ready Made Fudge Chocolate Shakes at Sam's Club for $27.99 - that's $1.15/shake!! :) They had French Vanilla too!

How is the taste of the EAS shakes? I don't really care for the taste of the MRC shakes, but I especially don't care for their chocolate at all! I have one left, and then I will get more somewhere. EAS sounds like a great price. You say you drink 2 as a meal replacement?

bbygrl77
08-29-2010, 06:38 AM
I like the EAS shakes a lot, especially really cold. It is such a good change of pace from the clears. I buy chocolate fudge and strawberry. I usually drink one mid-morning and it keeps me satisfied until lunch. When I drink these, I don't miss my beloved milk so much.

ladystarrider
08-29-2010, 07:38 PM
It is either meal replacement (in which case, you drink 2) or substitute 1 as a creamy.

Are these the 11 oz. shakes? I just looked at the nutrition label on the EAS website, and it mentioned that you could use it as a meal replacement - do you really need to drink 2 to count it that way?

sgustin8
08-29-2010, 08:34 PM
If you drink 2 of the EAS AdvantEDGE shakes, it is the same as the ones from MRC (or the powder package). 2 of them for one meal.

pkanaka
09-08-2010, 04:36 PM
Hey everyone!

I hope you all are doing well--I was hoping you could give me some advice! I have been on the green menu for about four weeks and initially experienced weight loss but have now plateaued (and even gained some but that may be because I am on my cycle right now). I would like to go on meta quick but don't want to pay so much for shakes through MRC (especially since I am doing this through phone/mail since I am not near a center). I would like to buy the EAS AdvantEDGE shakes but when I brought it up with the instructor for MRC she wasn't receptive to my using those shakes. Should I just start using them anyway and go on meta quick with those shakes on my own? Also, would I still take four HNS in addition to those shakes? Can I still have one creamy per day? Thanks so much!

guinevere75
09-08-2010, 05:17 PM
Hi Pkanaka - of course she's not receptive - it means money out of her pocket. ;) I just went on it myself for 7 days and used the EAS shakes (that I got at Sam's in bulk for super cheap). You can have 2 for breakfast (or a meal replacement bar) and 2 for lunch, then your regular dinner. You need to still have your 4 clearn HNS - you are not supposed to have any creamies while on metaquick because of the shakes/bars. Hope that helps!

sgustin8
09-08-2010, 05:42 PM
Agreed. They will not be all about you not buying from them. I love hte EAS shakes. PLUS, they have less carbs than the MRC ones! NOt so great with ice, but they are pretty delicious (and they have strawberry!). I was told I could still have creamies while on metaquick, but I would try to steer clear if you can. I still lost, but I'm sure it would have been more if I had just stuck to the clears.

You do 2 EAS shakes for breakfast and lunch along with your HNS (you will be pretty full) and then a regular dinner....have your other 2 HNS as snacks. I really like metaquick and I think you will see a major kickstart!

bbygrl77
09-08-2010, 11:36 PM
Can someone tell me about Metaquick? How long are you on it? What does it do? I go in tomorrow and it's been a really bad week. I feel like I should go back to the yellow menu for a few days, but i'll see what they say at the center tomorrow.:devil:

soon2b1hotmama
09-09-2010, 01:38 PM
I too would like to know more about metaquick. Do you use the EAS bars too?

sgustin8
09-09-2010, 02:27 PM
I've never used the bars (i am more about bulk, and the bars seem like I'm not eating enough :)). But just check to make sure they are comparable to the MRC bars: 15g of protien or more, 15g of carbs or less and around 200 calories. Im sure you can find something out there! You can order powdered shakes from dietdirect.com which are exactly like the powder shakes from MRC and a little cheaper even (the proti diet ones). I blend these up with water and ice and its like a milkshake for breakfast/lunch. Plus you get FULL! I feel like I could do Metaquick all the time since its so easy and delicious! I highly suggest doing it for a week.

Let me know if I can provide more info or help.

pkanaka
09-12-2010, 08:35 PM
Thanks so much for your help! I started MetaQuick today and I'm hoping for some results! As far as using shakes instead of bars for both meals, I saw that the MRC bars and EAS shakes both have 15g-17g of protein, so wouldn't replacing a bar with two shakes be too much protein?